Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Interesting science
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 11:56 AM
Interesting science

Historical Info.
It took ~11000 to 13000 years for the humans to arrive from the far west.

Foot Prints.jpg - 161kB
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 12:42 PM

They were probably eating a paleo diet. ;)

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 01:10 PM

It’s likely that those calling themselves “the first nations” found people already here when they arrived. One must wonder how that went down.

Since we’ve always lived along the shoreline which was 350’ lower back then (you could walk to Catalina) it’s hard to say what is waiting to be discovered underwater. Archeology 350’ underwater is only just becoming possible.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 01:10 PM

Many years ago there was a CBC TV documentary series about native Americans (meaning Canada and the US). Some of the native elders interviewed said it was not true that they crossed the Bering Strait from Asia- that they have a strong oral history dating back thousands of years which includes no mention of such a migration, that "we've always been here".

If there was a migration, but it actually happened 11,000 years earlier than previously thought, that could explain why it was lost in the oral history- it was just way too far back.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
(you could walk to Catalina).

Is that so?

When? :?:

The Chumash Rainbow Bridge doesn’t count.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 03:14 PM

The study of ethnic origins and human migrations is something I find quite fascinating. In addition to using tools like DNA, there are some things which seem more obvious. For instance, there are only 4 regions of the world that do throat singing. Northeastern Asia in eastern Mongolia/Russia and among the Ainu of Japan, the Xhosa of South Africa, the Inuit of Northern Canada, and in Sardinia in Italy.

The Inuit have a strong physical resemblance to Mongolians, their native languages sound more similar than not, and they are 2 of the only 5 ethnic groups that throat sing. So it doesn't seem far-fetched to theorize that the Inuit were emigrants at some point in human history, even without scientific evidence, from the region of Mongolia.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 05:29 PM

S,

Have you heard of the Bradshaw Foundation?

BTW The First Nations of Australia also throat sing. Arrival in Australia at least 42K years ago.

IMG_4575.jpeg - 232kB IMG_4576.jpeg - 281kB
baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 07:18 PM

I doubt anyone was walking to Catalina with sea levels 350ft lower since the channel is 3000 ft deep.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 07:35 PM

Isla Espiritu Santo just north of La Paz has dated settlements of 22,000 years ago

Harald Pietschmann
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 09:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja-chris  
I doubt anyone was walking to Catalina with sea levels 350ft lower since the channel is 3000 ft deep.

well yeah but don't let facts get in the way of a good story!:lol:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2023 at 10:33 PM

All I can say is it must have been summertime when those folks crossed the Bering Strait and decided to settle in Northern Canada.

"Hey, this is a nice place, let's stay here."

Come September- "Hey guys, is it just me, or does it feel like it's getting really cold? And it doesn't seem like the sun is shining for nearly as long every day as when we got here. And there's no trees for wood. What are we gonna use to build some shelters? Ice? Are you nuts? Who votes for turning around and going home?"

[Edited on 10-2-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 10-2-2023 by surabi]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 12:24 AM

Very interesting thread! Geology, history, archeology, linguistics...I love it all!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 06:58 AM

I remembered incorrectly, it was the Northern Channel Islands {then just one large peninsula) that you could walk to at the low water mark during the last ice age. In fact there were Mammoths there that became pigmies (only 6-7’ tall) after the sea rose again. The Archeologists think that they actually swam there about 40K years ago. (they claim elephants are good swimmers!)
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 11:41 AM

Elephants are the only mammal I can think of that can swim underwater without having to keep its head above water or come up for air.
lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 08:20 AM

There was an article in the Great Falls Tribune maybe 4 years ago about a Blackfoot Tribal elder who had an extensive DNA test done. The great surprise in the test indicated that rather than geneology from the Asian land bridge migration his geneology originated from the South Pacific, his ancestors had migrated to Peru and then migrated north eventually ending up on the Northern Great Plains. I've been fascinated by this ever since but haven't seen any follow up or more research data.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Elephants are the only mammal I can think of that can swim underwater without having to keep its head above water or come up for air.

Appears to be a misunderstanding, Elephants don't need to raise their head because they use their trunk to breathe when under water.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

Appears to be a misunderstanding, Elephants don't need to raise their head because they use their trunk to breathe when under water.

What "misunderstanding"? Of course it's because they raise their trunk to breathe, duh. I thought that would be self-evident, not something I had to explain to anyone.

[Edited on 10-3-2023 by surabi]

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 03:06 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Cousteau
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 03:10 PM

What "misunderstanding"? Of course it's because they raise their trunk to breathe, duh. I thought that would be self-evident, not something I had to explain to anyone.

Once again, you are dragging into an idiotic argument, your point was that elephants are different mammals, but they are not, they breathe air from the surface, just like other mammals, unlike fish.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 04:57 PM

Once again, you are dragging into an idiotic argument, your point was that elephants are different mammals, but they are not, they breathe air from the surface, just like other mammals, unlike fish.

most cetaceans breathe w/o raising their head out of the water, most of the head stays submerged. just saying.

a minor point about "fish." only pedantic fools say whales are not fish. historically, whalers used word "fish" to refer to whales. only recently have @ssinine fools insisted that fish is incorrect word for whale. for many lay people, fish is a perfectly good word for whale.

finally, elephants are not the only animal to snorkel. us humans snorkel frequently. some people even put snorkels on their cars. just saying!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.