Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bicycle club in La Bocana update
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 04:04 AM
Bicycle club in La Bocana update

I saw this photo of Ignacio (the kid in the photo, far right and in front) the other day. He and two cousins trained hard and won 3rd place in an Enseanda mountain bike endurance race! You all may remember that in 2010, creating the La Bocana Bike Club, biking and getting bicycles was the project.

Ignacio is one of the kids from that project! Our goal was to inspire kids to ride and it turns out a couple of them still do.

This was an 8 hour endurance race.

Originally from La Bocana, Ignacio now lives and works in Ensenada with wife and child.

And now for a trip back to 2010 where it all began!

This was the award certificate we handed out and the first 3 who placed, got something bike related. I remember buying goodies in San Diego. The kids raced teams from other villages and for sure we have Juanita to thank for putting the club up in San Ignacio, and Shari to thank for putting the club up in Bahia Asuncion. Races to vizcaino and Guerrero Negro were day trips and everyone worked to raise funds for the gas, food and drinks.

That is Ignacio as a kid in our club, before we got our own uniforms. I think he is wearing a G Negro uniform shirt.

Ignacio won first place that day.

Here is a girl I convinced to participate!

An innocent bystander caught in the act of eating ceviche!!

A group that came from out of town the day before so as to familiarize themselves with the route.

The last pic: None of this could have been accomplished without the love shared by so many. I think we got over 100 bikes donated that year! It was one of the hardest projects I have ever undertaken but also one of the most rewarding. So many have bikes and go biking in La Bocana and Abreojos now. and as Ignacio shows, it got in his heart and stayed there.

is there a gas station around here

[Edited on 10-3-2023 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2023 at 11:19 AM

Very cool.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 12:04 PM

:biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mufflerbearings

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 05:21 PM

VERY cool! I participated in that same race a few years ago, and I was impressed by the caliber of some of the more serious racers. If his team ended up on the podium, they're doing something right!

Even for those of us who are not serious racers, that event is a HOOT. Race a little, eat a little, race some more, drink a little, and repeat.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-4-2023 at 06:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mufflerbearings  
VERY cool! I participated in that same race a few years ago, and I was impressed by the caliber of some of the more serious racers. If his team ended up on the podium, they're doing something right!

Even for those of us who are not serious racers, that event is a HOOT. Race a little, eat a little, race some more, drink a little, and repeat.

Is this the one at rinconada? Is it relay or solo racing?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mufflerbearings

[*] posted on 10-5-2023 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by mufflerbearings  

Is this the one at rinconada? Is it relay or solo racing?

The one I raced was at Rancho la Llave, very near to Bodegas de Santo Tomas in San Antonio de las Minas. It was a relay (at least for my team - I can't recall seeing any solo racers).

I was expecting to be racing in circles around some dusty field, but the course was surprisingly fun with a respectable amount of singletrack and elevation changes.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2023 at 10:58 PM

Thanks for answering!

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.