Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Robbed in Mexicali 5 minutes after crossin
Polli point

[*] posted on 10-14-2023 at 06:38 PM
Robbed in Mexicali 5 minutes after crossin

Police uniforms, two police cars 4 police men, one police woman, guns on hips and a desire to rob a 72 year old woman, well, nothing to stop you.

Today, October 14, 2023 at 9:00 AM, after departing Mexicali West gate I proceeded to make my way left to find the on ramp for Mex 2 and the via ducts to Mex 5.

Having done this before I was very careful to stop at all the stop signs and signal at merges.

As I got on the ramp, two police cars came up behind me and had their flashing lights as well as a bleep from the siren.

I pulled over. An officer, clean uniform, well cut hair, asked my name and where I was going. I told him. He then accused me of driving erratically. Which I know I was not. He then asked for my driver's license and registration, which I gave him.

He went to the rear of my vehicle and pow wowed with four other officers.

He returned and asked me to get out of the vehicle and brought me around to the passenger side of the car and informed me that the female officer would search me for drugs and weapons

The officer asked to search my vehicle. Knowing I had no drugs or weapons I allowed the search. At the same time the female officer ran through my purse opening all zippers and seeing the cash I was carrying. I pointed out swiss army I had but she, at that time, did not take notice.

I was continually asked if I had any drugs or weapons to which I continued to say no drugs or weapons.

Mean while three of the officers were going through my various gear bags.

The most intimidating officer then asked to search on the driver's side and brought me to that side.

He opened the door, looked for a few seconds, closed the door and brought me back to the passenger side.

He then reached into one of my gear bags that contained USB wires and chargers and pulled out a good size knife, black handle with a release button and said he found this.

I had never seen that knife in my life. I was shocked that these five officers were setting me up.

The officer the asked me to dump the contents of my purse on the passenger seat while another officer kept asking me if this was my knife. No no no no no and many more nos is all I could say in my disbelief. The female officer started handing back the contents of my purse while I stood in shock.

The intimidating officer and the female officer stood behind me while the controlling officer started at me asking me if I was telling the truth.

Finally the controlling officer said I shouldn't have the swiss army knife in my pocket, have a nice day. The damage was done.

I wanted out of there as far as possible before I checked my purse.

I discovered my wallets open zipper which I knew I closed and 6, 100 dollar bills were gone.

These police robbed me in Mexicali 5 minutes from my boarder crossing.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2023 at 08:59 PM

So sorry for your incident I always hide my cash and only carry $75 bucks in pesos on me. First post and a bad story?
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2023 at 10:37 PM

Sorry, this happened to you. I'm a big believer in karma, and I hope they get a good dose. I love Mexico and hope this never happens to me.
I often take a 1k or more cash but never in one spot and hidden away.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2023 at 08:01 AM

That is terrible. It must have been scary for you by yourself. I love Mexico but the dirty cops may change my travel plans one day.

Don’t know if it would have helped but I always cross at Mexicali East border crossing very early on Sunday morning. I follow the route that avoids the most populated areas.

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-15-2023 at 09:18 AM

So sad that a few scum sucking bottom feeders are allowed to run rampant without impunity. But as our Canadian amigo said if you cross at Mexicali East POE and drive to the 5 via the industrial zone you’re less likely to be asked for a Mordida or be outright robbed. BTW, I always carry most of my cash in a money belt, but don’t know if that would have helped if one is subjected to a body search.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-15-2023 at 09:43 AM

Use dash cam and phone video. Only let them know the video is rolling after it’s been going for a while. Lie to them and tell them it is on facebook live and cant be erased.
Also, after you exit car, lock the doors. Dont let them inspect car, and if they insist, only unlock/open 1 door at a time, same as military stops, you can only watch 1 guy at a Time. Never let any mil or popo inspect w/o you or your pax watching them.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-16-2023 at 01:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
First post and a bad story?

Appears to be fully legit account registrant. fyi.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Polli point

[*] posted on 10-16-2023 at 09:58 AM

Yes, this was my first post. I asked someone where I might post this to warn others of recent activity at the Mexicali West crossing. Sorry if I offended.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2023 at 10:43 AM

Thank you for returning here.
Nobody is offended by this tragic story. It is just so remote from what most here experience and it is indeed sad that it happened to you.
Did you continue south or return to the U.S. after this?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2023 at 11:29 AM

Prior to crossing HIDE YOUR CASH AND CREDIT CARDS!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-16-2023 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
First post and a bad story?

Appears to be fully legit account registrant. fyi.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2023 at 04:53 PM

WOW, solid advice from the Goat.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 07:41 AM

There seems to be a common profile for those who get the shakedown/inspection
/robbery. It may include one or more characteristics. A conspicuous or fancy rig, little or no Spanish, a driver who is displaying anxious behavior, or uncertain driving.
Just a theory. Some folks may be magnets for this. maybe my 57 years of driving in Mexico and central America have just been lucky..
Polli point

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thank you for returning here.
Nobody is offended by this tragic story. It is just so remote from what most here experience and it is indeed sad that it happened to you.
Did you continue south or return to the U.S. after this?

I've been spending winters in Baja for the past 7 years with the same rig. I have an RV pad I own in Mulege and other assets in Baja. 6 c notes is an inconvenience, not a show stopper. Mordido is one thing. Out right robbery by police is another thing entirely. I certainly won't feel safe stopped by police in high population areas.

I believe the only way this outcome could have been better is if I had a second person on board. With 5 police carrying guns and knives it could have come out worse.
AnimalLovers

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Polli point  
Yes, this was my first post. I asked someone where I might post this to warn others of recent activity at the Mexicali West crossing. Sorry if I offended.

Thank you for sharing.

Like you, my first post here was about a negative experience. I reported how my wife and I were robbed and shot at while camping at a surf spot. Like you, my motive was to provide a public service to the Baja traveling community. Like you, I had several commenters suggest my story was fake, exaggerated, or that we had it coming because we just weren't savvy enough.

That is an unfortunate and consistent "feature" of this site. However, please know that there are plenty of quiet lurkers on here that appreciate hearing about your experience. I know I do.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 12:16 PM

Nobody said it was fake...

Sorry if you got treated differently, AnimalLovers, but we may sometimes wonder why a new member here would not first introduce themselves when they join, or ask for travel advice, or where to see or do something.

If I was a doubter, I apologize. I am here to help people discover more to do in Baja than just go to Cabo or Rosarito! I also like to read other's trip reports and make friends.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 12:28 PM

The one and only time I've crossed at Mex W. I got lost immediately, and became aware of how easy it would be to be pulled over.

I'm superstitious. I cross Mex E. and drive through the industrial part of Mexicali before hitting 5. Don't want any part of town.

Yeah, wear a money belt, money in both shoes, knife in sock, pesos in pockets, ''throw away'' wallet, nothing valuable in car that isn't hidden. Every time I'm on the road, I expect to be stopped. Been stopped once in 60 years. Still, I expect to be stopped and prepare mentally for the rogue cops.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Polli point  
Police uniforms, two police cars 4 police men, one police woman, guns on hips and a desire to rob a 72 year old woman, well, nothing to stop you.

Today, October 14, 2023 at 9:00 AM, after departing Mexicali West gate I proceeded to make my way left to find the on ramp for Mex 2 and the via ducts to Mex 5.

Having done this before I was very careful to stop at all the stop signs and signal at merges.

As I got on the ramp, two police cars came up behind me and had their flashing lights as well as a bleep from the siren.

I pulled over. An officer, clean uniform, well cut hair, asked my name and where I was going. I told him. He then accused me of driving erratically. Which I know I was not. He then asked for my driver's license and registration, which I gave him.

He went to the rear of my vehicle and pow wowed with four other officers.

He returned and asked me to get out of the vehicle and brought me around to the passenger side of the car and informed me that the female officer would search me for drugs and weapons

The officer asked to search my vehicle. Knowing I had no drugs or weapons I allowed the search. At the same time the female officer ran through my purse opening all zippers and seeing the cash I was carrying. I pointed out swiss army I had but she, at that time, did not take notice.

I was continually asked if I had any drugs or weapons to which I continued to say no drugs or weapons.

Mean while three of the officers were going through my various gear bags.

The most intimidating officer then asked to search on the driver's side and brought me to that side.

He opened the door, looked for a few seconds, closed the door and brought me back to the passenger side.

He then reached into one of my gear bags that contained USB wires and chargers and pulled out a good size knife, black handle with a release button and said he found this.

I had never seen that knife in my life. I was shocked that these five officers were setting me up.

The officer the asked me to dump the contents of my purse on the passenger seat while another officer kept asking me if this was my knife. No no no no no and many more nos is all I could say in my disbelief. The female officer started handing back the contents of my purse while I stood in shock.

The intimidating officer and the female officer stood behind me while the controlling officer started at me asking me if I was telling the truth.

Finally the controlling officer said I shouldn't have the swiss army knife in my pocket, have a nice day. The damage was done.

I wanted out of there as far as possible before I checked my purse.

I discovered my wallets open zipper which I knew I closed and 6, 100 dollar bills were gone.

These police robbed me in Mexicali 5 minutes from my boarder crossing.

I crossed Mexicali west last week at 8am and had a very similar experience. I was pulled over by one car (100 yards from the border crossing) and the officer came up on the passenger side of my truck and asked where I was going. I told him to my house in BoLA. He then asked where I was coming from and I told him San Diego. He asked if I was tired because I was weaving. I looked at him quizically and mentioned that I am a San Diego firefighter. That broke the ice and from then on it was friendly banter and I was told to drive carefully. It was obviously a shakedown and I let them know that I live down there and knew what they were up to.
I consider myself lucky, it could have been worse.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 01:41 PM

Interesting and a sad...
On a brighter note:
I just spoke to someone yesterday who had followed my directions from Mexicali West (this past month), and they had no issues, no problems... even indicated my directions were not necessary because all possible turns were well-signed for San Felipe.
I guess the crooked cops were off duty? I think a lot of us Nomad just became retired firefighters!!

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2023 at 02:05 PM

I am sorry if I offended you Polli. It was not my intent. It's just on this site is full of yahoo's and tools that have in the past set up a new accounts to troll and stir up trouble. There was lots of good advice given to make your next trip south more enjoyable.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.