Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Stroke
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 04:06 PM
Stroke

I am sure that many of you heard it by now. I had a stroke on Wed. November 25.

According to my Neurologist and Cardiologist in the US, The XARELTO I was taking failed to do it's job. They have now changed my blood thinner meds to PLavix.

I am doing OK. Writing OK. The only little hiccup is that I have the dropsies and I am always dropping some little things.My speech is good, and my vitals are OK As well. I can drive short distances without someone having a cow.
I am thinking clearly

The major trek was that my wife drove me to Chula VIsta for the hospital stay.a 7 hour drive from San Felipe.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 04:20 PM

Here's hoping that you continue to heal, and never have a repeat event. I also am at risk of a stroke and have been taking Xarelto for about five years now. Are there any dietary restrictions with Plavix?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 05:16 PM

good thing you stayed close rather than asuncion! stay well.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 05:31 PM

Oh my friend, I am sorry to hear of your stroke but so glad to see you here on the Internet!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 06:00 PM

Sorry to hear you had a problem. Glad to hear it wasn’t worse. If you heed anything from the states we’re going north soon. Let me know if you need anything brought down,

Best wishes!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 06:31 PM

I'm no Dr. amigo but UCLA has me on elecuis 5 mg. 2X / day. after a stroke 3 yrs ago. "Ask your doctor>"

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 06:45 PM

Get well my friend.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 07:14 PM

Udo, We are all with ya my friend! Thanks for letting us know. All the best in your recovery.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 11-5-2023 at 08:19 PM

Take extra special care of yourself mi amigo. Sending positive thoughts, vibes l, and prayers.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2023 at 07:57 AM

MIl gracias to my well-wishers!

Udo

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-6-2023 at 10:47 AM
About Xarelto.....

It is a very expensive medication! The VA has been my source for the 20mg tablets (one per day) and the co-pay was the same as any other medication.

I decided to make a quick trip to Baja and was getting low on that med. Rather than wait for a re-fill by mail, I checked into taking my prescription to local pharmacies and hit the road right away.

There was no generic (Rivaroxaban) tablets available, and price for a thirty day supply of Xarelto was between four and five hundred dollars!

It was well worth my while to drive to a VA pharmacy!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-6-2023 at 12:33 PM

whoa...another close call...glad Jana is a good driver and you survived another health scare...take care amigo!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2023 at 12:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
I'm no Dr. amigo but UCLA has me on elecuis 5 mg. 2X / day. after a stroke 3 yrs ago. "Ask your doctor>"

Very good advice. I just checked with very good cardiologist fishing friend snd he swears if you have atfib and risk a stroke Eliquis is the best and most effective. The 5mg/2x/ day is the standard dose.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2023 at 08:06 AM

Eliquis. Generic is Apixiban 5mg. Generic is widely available from on-line pharmacies. Typical cost is $0.39 per pill for 180/200 quantity.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2023 at 08:09 AM

Udo

So sorry to hear this. Les is going to talk to his doctor about changing meds. We hope you recover fast.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2023 at 09:29 AM

Get well soon, all the best. Cliff
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-9-2023 at 08:00 AM

Lack of access to high quality health care with great insurance coverage is probably the principal thing that keeps me from moving to Baja. Here in Phoenix I have access to Mayo Clinic, where they performed miracles in my cochlear implant, and also the Banner system, easy and quick to get access for routine stuff.
I have visited folks in hospitals in Mexico, Peru, several in the Philippines and even Haiti.
At best they reminded me of the week I spent in Madigan Army Hospital way back in the 50's, in a ward with about 200 other hacking and coughing guys. (Being the only sailor in the ward was scary)
Each time we take a big gang to Baja I worry about a sudden medical issue we might have to respond to. One guy almost died of some kind of diabetic issue- we requested he stay home the next year. Other than a few stitches at local clinics and a nasty eye infection treated by a nurse at an orphanage we were pretty lucky.
All that is to say that I think we all are cheered to hear that you got good treatment, in time, and are well on the road to recovery.
Be well!!
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2023 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It is a very expensive medication! The VA has been my source for the 20mg tablets (one per day) and the co-pay was the same as any other medication.

I decided to make a quick trip to Baja and was getting low on that med. Rather than wait for a re-fill by mail, I checked into taking my prescription to local pharmacies and hit the road right away.

There was no generic (Rivaroxaban) tablets available, and price for a thirty day supply of Xarelto was between four and five hundred dollars!

It was well worth my while to drive to a VA pharmacy!

If you want to stop by San Felipe, I'll give you what I have left. Xarelto is readily available in baja.

Udo

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2023 at 06:54 PM

Unless you had your stroke in the future... but you don't want to do that again!!

>>> posted on 11-5-2023 at 04:06 PM
Stroke

I am sure that many of you heard it by now. I had a stroke on Wed. November 25. <<<

Please don't, Udo, once was enough!!
:light::thumbup:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2023 at 08:50 AM

So sorry about your stroke Udo... Live every day like your last! I do especially after a year of chemo that I just finished.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.