Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Windrider 17 sailing trip
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 06:02 AM
Windrider 17 sailing trip

Myself and a buddy headed out for 2 weeks in early November. We started in Mulege and headed south to Agua Verde. Then worked our way north back to Puerto Escondido.

IMG_3632.jpeg - 89kB
Launch day at Mulege

IMG_3633.jpeg - 69kB
First nights camp at Medano Blanco. Great spot. There is just enough of a break to get out of the northerly weather and pull up the boat. My buddy forgot to zip his tent up and had a Tarantula visit him that night. Very entertaining!

IMG_3634.jpeg - 94kB
Sailed to San Basillo the next day. Stayed a couple of days waiting for a good northern wind to get us to Isla Carmen. Latest gossip at San Basillo is that it was purchased by the owner of Walmart and is going to be an “Eco Retreat”.

IMG_3635.jpeg - 71kB
Had a fast sail south and camped at Ballandra Bay. Only one spot to camp there and lots of bugs. Not a great spot but it is sheltered from the northern swell. Next day we were off to the southern end of Isla Carmen ( pictured above). Paradise!

IMG_3637.jpeg - 105kB

IMG_3640.jpeg - 98kB
Fishing was great! Trolled under sail, lots of fun.

IMG_3639.jpeg - 114kB
Stayed a night at Agua Verde spit. Fish tacos and beer were a nice treat compared to dry food dinners.

IMG_3636.jpeg - 50kB
Worked our way back north to a place I have camped before. Unfortunately it has become a Semana Santa spot. The beach was littered with garbage and broken glass. I will bring some garbage bags with me in February to clean some of it up.

We pulled out near Puerto Escondido but next time we will use Juncalito. Great trip! Early November is a great time n Baja with 80 degree water and lots of dorado.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 07:18 AM

Super cool trip! Thanks.
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 09:21 AM

This is great! I didn't know that boat existed. What a great way to get around Baja. I like that it can simply be pulled up on the beach.

Thanks for sharing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 09:22 AM

Thank you for sharing! Dorados for dinner... can't beat that!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 09:38 AM

Nice trip and good call pulling out at PE.
Might have been a bit wet to Mulege.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 10:44 AM

Sweet trip!!!

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 11:09 AM

Excellent! Thanks for posting.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 12:27 PM

Awesome trip!

I'm not sure how I feel about the San Basilio thing. It is such an amazing beach. Kind of a pain to deal with the squatters who decided to set-up for the long term and think they own the joint. Maybe they will shoo them out.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2023 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Excellent! Thanks for posting.

IMG_3638.jpeg - 54kB

Our last sunrise near Puerto Escondido.
jwheel1970

[*] posted on 12-21-2023 at 09:41 AM

Thank you for the post - very cool. What an adventure!
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2023 at 07:07 PM

Sweet trip...when you are ready for a little more comfort and bigger seas...this is available in Mulege.

https://bajasur.craigslist.org/boa/d/18-capri-sailboat-on-ez...

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2023 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by akmaxx  
Sweet trip...when you are ready for a little more comfort and bigger seas...this is available in Mulege.

https://bajasur.craigslist.org/boa/d/18-capri-sailboat-on-ez...

Looks like a nice boat. I own a 26 ft trailer sailer in BC. I have had it for 30 years. The only way to own a boat, no moorage fees, no bottom paint. Lots of bomb proof anchorages here in BC so you don’t have to worry about dragging anchor.

However for Baja, the anchorages are very conditional with average holding ground. The beauty of a boat that can be hauled up on the beach is it gives you access to so many more gorgeous spots and you don’t have to worry about dragging your anchor at night.

As far as weather, that boat has been in 20 knots with 7 ft swell and I have had no problems. Given it has a planning hull, we were doing a sustained 10 knots from San Basillo to Isla Carman. With those speeds we were able to troll for Tuna on the surface. Lots of fun.

The boat was loaded for a 13 day trip. We had a 100 litres of water, and food. Pretty good for a 17 ft boat. So for Baja, I would not recommend a trailer sailer.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2023 at 07:27 PM

Looks like a great trip!

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2024 at 12:42 PM

Anyone interested in buying a Windrider should jump on this. Very good price.

https://bajasur.craigslist.org/boa/7702956537.html?lang=en&a...
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2024 at 01:02 PM

Great trip report. Like a true nomad or vagabundo!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.