BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New member here. 2024
IndianDave

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 11:04 AM
New member here. 2024

Good morning all. I am a new member here. I’m looking forward to getting some good info I ride a Victory cross country street bike, and have been to Rosarito Guadalupe and Ensenada many times on it. I live in the Los Angeles area and I’m thinking or planning to ride to Cabo/La Paz. I wanted to ask the community if anyone has done a solar Ride down to Cabo and if anyone is planning to ride this year all highway roads. In addition, I would like any recommendations, feedback, or suggestions on writing to Cabo. Thank you in advance David.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 11:35 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I don't ride street, or dirt bikes anymore, but I have hauled gear for a few other Nomads that do. It may take a few days for you to connect with the right person on this forum, so don't let any negative posts that a few others like to throw at new members chase you away.

My son in Fairbanks had a Victory 8 Ball Vegas model that I was able to scare myself with. My Gawd that thing was fast!

I am in Northern CA right now, but need to make a run to La Paz soon to visit a dentist that I have used before but I do not have an appointment scheduled yet.

I hope you find someone to ride with, but if the timing works, I would be willing to carry some of your gear and try to keep up.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 12:11 PM

D
You'll have a blast riding down here. I've been riding here 20 years street/dirt.

When? Kinda cool here in January, and daylight hours are short.

Consider cutting over to hwy 5 from Ensenada, to San Felipe, good first day finish.
Then down 5 to San Ignacio. Last gas in San Felipe is big Chevron station south end of town. Next gas is Gonzaga.

From there explore the Bay of Conception and Mulege, that's where I winter.

From there. 80 miles to Loreto, good stop. El Borracho bar on road to San Javier.

La Paz is good stop, lots to do there. AK can fill you in on that.

Cabo is $$, so research that area before just showing up.

That's a good start. Cross in with tire plug kit and air compressor. Maybe a bottle of octane boost too. Main hazards are potholes you didn't see and busses cutting corners. Is open range too, so no night rides.

Ride fast, take chances, safety third!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 01:08 PM

My best advice: Just Go! That's what I did in 1974 on a new CB750, had a Auto Club map and a good attitude. It was a great trip and was the first of dozens of rides up and down the peninsula over nearly 50 years.

I am now using 4 wheels since age has affected my riding skills but I have never tired of that highway. Al's advice is good however I still go south on highway 1 since I still like the road south of El Rosario and the area through Catavina should be experienced at least once.

Riding Baja requires a constant high level of alertness and is best at a relaxed pace although I have not always taken my own advice in that regard.

Riding at night is hazardous and should be avoided.

In Mulege the Hotel Hacienda right by the town square is motorcycle friendly with an enclosed courtyard to park in.
IndianDave

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 01:22 PM

Thank you all. I am soaking this in and keeping a close eye on my posting. I know I’m going to do the trip for sure but just want as much info as I can get. I highly appreciate all of your feedback. Thanks again Dave.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by IndianDave  
Thank you all. I am soaking this in and keeping a close eye on my posting. I know I’m going to do the trip for sure but just want as much info as I can get. I highly appreciate all of your feedback. Thanks again Dave.

Don't research it too much. Many of us here did our first trips in baja before the internet, and winged it with a road map and perhaps a guidebook. Research it too much and you wont experience an adventure.
Just do it!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 04:38 PM

I don't know much about that bike but I just got back from a quick ride on my KLR from San Diego past La Paz and back last week. Roads are great, people are friendly and helpful. I did minimal off-roading with my overloaded pig. As others have said - just go! Be careful around big animals. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions about my recent trip.

412409159_10230720304862085_1793158485664198747_n.jpg - 41kB
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 07:45 PM

You’ll have a great time. My moto experience is mostly dirt roads and single track but have driven down and back a few times from Canada. I would say the only mistake is to try and travel too far each day . There is so much to see and for safety reasons, better to be alert and fresh on your bike. As for Cabo , unless you like lots of night life and overpriced food and drinks , bypass it . LaPaz is an interesting city and worth a few days exploring and the surrounding area.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-4-2024 at 08:32 PM
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2024 at 09:35 PM

Welcome to the forum! I can remember so well the first time I went so far south. I think you will find that nomads are everywhere and it is so easy to make friends. We met so many at gas stations who later came to visit us in our village and became close friends.

Please post your trip report...already looking forward to it!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
1-27-2024 at 02:56 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.