Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Border crossing scrutiny
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-13-2024 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
What about the "combover", is it in style?

A pathetic appearance may result in soldiers pitying you and waving you through.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2024 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
What about the "combover", is it in style?

A pathetic appearance may result in soldiers pitying you and waving you through.

Came through SI checkpoint, again sick, with persistent cough this time. Put down my window as I was rolling up, and before I could speak, started with a hacking cough. The soldier on duty took a big step back and said GO!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-13-2024 at 12:08 PM

There was a popular story that in the 1960s, the police captain in Ensenada had enough of the hippies in his town. So, he collected them, gave them haircuts and a lecture on masculinity. The hippies never came back! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ORphil

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ORphil  
Thanks for all the replies, I just won't worry about it. I've gone through the checkpoints before and once had to say it was matcha tea which is far easier than trying to explain I have some relatively rare herbal substance from SE Asia.

Phil

They rarely do a detailed inspection.
But dont be stupid and think they are dummies. If you lie and say your crackon is tea, they will see right thru your lies. I am sure the inspectors have seen it all, or heard of it all. They ain't dumb.

Crackon? I see you are very familar with this. Do you grind coffee beans and pour it over grounds or meet people in a dark alley, jonesing. Gimme a break man. Don't kid a kidder.

ORphil

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 08:11 PM

Well, I'm a clean cut male in a 1998 Toyota Tacoma. I might pass the 1950s test, boy Scout look and the rest. Thanks Lee for a real answer rather than smart ass remarks.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 09:37 PM

I'm a big fan of smart-ass remarks.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 09:42 PM

Here's one that makes no sense to me.

I've been traveling with a 8' cargo box on 2 different SUV's over the years. I've been asked to open it once and that was MX customs at Tecate going S. They asked me what was inside and I said basura. 3 agents laughed. Opened the passenger door to stand on the door threshold and opened the box and they couldn't see anything from 10'-20' away -- just looked in that direction then said OK.

I've never been asked to open the box at checkpoints, ever. I could have 20 AKs and not even a question about contents. If I were to surmise, it'd be it's too much trouble for them, would have more difficulty checking things out while keeping their balance.

I think it's hilarious.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 09:46 PM

I've been traveling with a 8' cargo box on 2 different SUV's over the years. I've been asked to open it once and that was MX customs at Tecate going S. They asked me what was inside and I said basura. 3 agents laughed. Opened the passenger door to stand on the door threshold and opened the box and they couldn't see anything from 10'-20' away -- just looked in that direction then said OK.

I've never been asked to open the box at checkpoints, ever. I could have 20 AKs and not even a question about contents. If I were to surmise, it'd be it's too much trouble for them, would have more difficulty checking things out while keeping their balance.

I think it's hilarious.

F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 11:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I just won't worry about it. I've gone through the checkpoints before and once had to say it was matcha tea which is far easier than trying to explain I have some relatively rare herbal substance from SE Asia.

Phil

They rarely do a detailed inspection.
But dont be stupid and think they are dummies. If you lie and say your crackon is tea, they will see right thru your lies. I am sure the inspectors have seen it all, or heard of it all. They ain't dumb.

Crackon? I see you are very familar with this. Do you grind coffee beans and pour it over grounds or meet people in a dark alley, jonesing. Gimme a break man. Don't kid a kidder.

Speaking of coffeee…

Why Does Coffee Make Me Poop?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/well/eat/why-does-coffee-...

Kraton is an imitation opioid, does it make you constipated?

[Edited on 1-15-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 11:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Much of what border officials are trained to do is as much about guaging your demeanor and reactions as it is about actually searching through your stuff. If a person seems nervous or overly nonchalant, defensive or aggressive, that can raise their spidey senses. They probably also have some percentage of searches they are supposed to conduct in a day, so it can also be pretty random.

When you were asked to open the box, but they were actually too far away to see what was in it, and didn't bother to look, they were probably paying attention to whether you seemed nervous or upset about doing it.

[Edited on 1-15-2024 by surabi]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

When you were asked to open the box, but they were actually too far away to see what was in it, and didn't bother to look, they were probably paying attention to whether you seemed nervous or upset about doing it.

[Edited on 1-15-2024 by surabi]

That's good.

I was being profiled and didn't think about it. Wife was bonding with a cat there and agents were laughing about that as well. In the moment, we were all having fun. No AKs.

Still, at checkpoints, I don't see that happening. Not even a glance upward at my cargo box. No questions.

F*ck it.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 10:35 AM

Showing appreciation at the road checks for the job the soldiers are doing by keeping the roadway safe, make that safer, is easy enough and they do appreciate being appreciated. haha

That does not always get you off from being searched, but more often than not, it does. At least it brings some levity and good vibes to the situation which can take you farther than having an attitude.

Having a copilot along helps. Having a dash cam doesn't hurt either. I was alone the last time a few years ago when I was thoroughly gone through.

They have to be bored out of their minds at some of these check points with nothing else to do.

Of course, never take your eyes off anyone going through your belongings or let yourself become distracted, I have seen them try that too, from watching every move they make. Works for me and has for decades.

Knock on wood, as always. Happy and safe travels to all Nomads.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 10:51 AM

I have rarely had my vehicle searched (possibly because of my large dog) but even when they are going through my glove box, center consol and under the seats, no one has ever asked me to open the ammo can behind the driver's seat!

I use it to store fragile items and keep it accessible in plain sight. To me an ammo can would be of interest, but so far it has not been searched.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 11:42 AM

... but even when they are going through my glove box, center consol and under the seats, no one has ever asked me to open the ammo can behind the driver's seat!

I use it to store fragile items and keep it accessible in plain sight. To me an ammo can would be of interest, but so far it has not been searched.

Whenever I have been searched, they tend not to do more than a cursory check of things which obviously aren't hidden. They look more thoroughly in places you might use to hide something. That's why I said upthread that if it's not illegal to cross with, it's best not to try to hide something just because they might question it.
digcolnagos

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I always found it best not to try to hide something that might be questioned. Because if they find it and there was obviously an attempt to hide it, that will just call attention, suspicion and questioning to it.

My wife grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The quickest way to get there from Massachusetts, by far, is through southern Ontario. It takes about 24 hours from the Boston area, which we usually break up into 2 days, but with 2 drivers, it's possible to make it through in one day unless something unusual happens. So...

We left Munising, MI after breakfast and picked up 2 cases of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, my wife's favorite beer. We know it's legal to transport up to 2 cases of beer into both Canada and the U.S., so we're covered - legally. When we reach the border crossing from Niagara Falls into Buffalo, already 600 miles into our trip, we're questioned not only about transporting illegal substances, but explicitly about beer, which is in plain sight on the floor of the back seat. Tired, I hesitate before saying, "yes, two cases," which apparently is enough for the officer to pull us away from the booth for a full inspection. This meant back seats removed, glove box ransacked, and all luggage pulled out and searched. It took several officers no more than fifteen minutes to do their damage, and about an hour to put everything back together before proceeding on the 500-mile drive to Boston. As a bonus, we were both patted down as well.

Did you get to keep the beer? That's the important part...

My 2 cents, I never travel with anything that might be called into question, and I imbibe in things that might be called into question. That way, you know, 100 percent, that there won't be an issue. If you cannot do this, and I'm making no judgment here, you might want to ask yourself why having whatever it is that you have is more important than being 100 percent certain.

This said, friends recently went to Belize or Costa Rica or somewhere similar--can't recall the country--and brought along psylocibin, which now is all the rage and even legal in some places. They ground the product down into dust, then put it in gel caps, presumably opaque, and threw them in with vitamin caps. The last place I'd want to be tripping is a Central American jail cell, but it worked for them.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 10:42 PM

Back in the 70s, when I was hanging out in Oaxaca, another young American woman who was living there bought a bunch of flowers in the market. The cops busted her walking home with them and put her in the local lockup, because they were poppies. She didn't even know what kind of flowers they were, she just bought them because they were pretty.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.