Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Fmm question
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 01:04 PM
Fmm question

I have a 180 day fmm issued in Nov. I know that I can use the 180 day for multiple trips by land during the 180 days without turning it back in.
I plan on flying to the mainland during that 180 day window and don't want turn the fmm in upon exit as I have read.

My question should a pull another fmm (a 7 day free one) on top of my 180? Or?

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 01:47 PM

Interesting question that I have no answer for. My gut tells me that there might be a problem trying to hold two migration forms at the same time.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 02:23 PM

By law the fmm is only good for one entry/exit. Land border xings operate loosely, basically lax enforcement so everyone treats fmm as good for multiple entries/exits. The intl airlines follow the law, fmm only good for one entry/exit cycle.
Mex imm databases are getting more modern, dont know if they easily track how many fmms each foreign traveler has and what date they got them,…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BeachSeeker
Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 03:01 PM

Goat, you sure about that? It seems the consensus is that multiple crossings on one FMM are allowed in Baja California. BajaBound agrees with this, and they are pretty reputable. If you do have an actual reference, I'd love to see it. I've never surrendered my FMM crossing the border in Baja California by land.

I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong, but there is no current "system" that tracks this. I've inadvertently had 2 FMMs at once, a 180 day and a free 6 day. I would actually be more surprised if you could use your 180 land FMM at the airport. I think it is highly likely that they make you get a new one with exact dates on it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 03:33 PM

On my last crossing I turned in my expired FMM at the desk where I was going to get a new one. The agent looked like he might have been a little surprised, but without even looking at it, he tossed it in the garbage.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 05:00 PM
Another thing about my last FMM....

I did not notice until much later that the agent never stamped my FMM, which made it worthless if I ever really needed to present it to any enforcement agency!

I paid in pesos, and he made change for me right there so who knows if the money ever made it past his desk.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 05:01 PM

Get one if you fly, it’s also good for up to 180 days, depending on what they write on it, turn that one in when you fly out. Save the other one for driving.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 08:30 PM

An FMM is like a Visa that you rent for 180 days or less.

towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2024 at 10:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Goat, you sure about that? It seems the consensus is that multiple crossings on one FMM are allowed in Baja California. BajaBound agrees with this, and they are pretty reputable. If you do have an actual reference, I'd love to see it. I've never surrendered my FMM crossing the border in Baja California by land.

I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong, but there is no current "system" that tracks this. I've inadvertently had 2 FMMs at once, a 180 day and a free 6 day. I would actually be more surprised if you could use your 180 land FMM at the airport. I think it is highly likely that they make you get a new one with exact dates on it.

When we got FMMs at Mexicali west in December the border agent specifically said it was good for multiple land crossings as long as its within the 180 day window.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-15-2024 at 02:07 AM
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 11:29 AM

The FMMs are no longer used at airports, only at land borders. When you fly, they just stamp your passport on departure and arrival.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
The FMMs are no longer used at airports, only at land borders. When you fly, they just stamp your passport on departure and arrival.

Interesting! Has it been replaced with any other sort of tourist documenting, permit, or fees?

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 12:15 PM

When you fly into Mexico, you still pay the tourist tax (unless you have residency, then the fee is waived or reimbursed- you have to contact the airline about that)- it is included in the price of your ticket.
There is no other documenting other than stamping one's passport on entry and departure.

However, I don't know how it would work if your flight is domestic and you already have a 180 day FMM from entering Mexico by land. As no one stamps your passport or asks to see your FMM when flying domestically, as far as I'm aware, it may be a moot point.

[Edited on 1-15-2024 by surabi]

[Edited on 1-15-2024 by surabi]
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 12:39 PM

If i have the stamp in my passport from the land entry dated November 23. Would that be fine or would they make pull a new one for the flight in? The stamp dose not say anything about land or are air fmm good for only one trip?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 01:03 PM

Entering and leaving by air passport stamps are only good for one trip. But that pertains to flying in and out of Mexico.

Your plans are a bit confusing. You plan to fly from Baja to the mainland, and then fly back to Baja? Those are domestic flights- I don't think any immigration documention is needed- you just need to show your passport as a form of ID.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2024 at 01:10 PM

The stamp in your passport from November is irrelevant for your flight. Get in line with everyone else as you get off the plane and show your passport to the agent. She will ask you what flight you were on and then stamp your passport. No paper FMM is issued. Welcome to Mexico.

As stated above you pay about 35 dollars on your ticket for the visa stamp. That is refundable through the airline if you are a permanent resident.

When you fly home you show your passport but no longer have a paper FMM to turn in. So much easier for everyone.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2024 at 08:30 AM

We flew to Loreto end of October - we did not receive a paper FMM at immigration, they stamped our passports and indicated in writing that the "stamp" was good for 180 days.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2024 at 08:46 AM

See my post on recent LTO trip, FMMs are back baby!
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2024 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
See my post on recent LTO trip, FMMs are back baby!

When my father flew into LTO on the 3rd he did not get an FMM, just a stamp.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2024 at 08:23 PM

Yes, last week on Friday it changed. They did not give us a stamped copy, kept all the FMM. stamped passport like normal, so that was the official doc should anyone check. Kind of weird, the FMM was for only internal docs?

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2024 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Yes, last week on Friday it changed. They did not give us a stamped copy, kept all the FMM. stamped passport like normal, so that was the official doc should anyone check. Kind of weird, the FMM was for only internal docs?

It's not weird. An FMM is a migratory document used for statistical purposes- it was never synonymous with "tourist visa"- they just used to use the bottom half as such and are now only stamping passports at the airports.

Everyone used to have to fill out an FMM unless you were a Mexican citizen. Tourists, temporary and permanent residents. Residents filled out and submitted the bottom half of the form on exit, and the top half on reentry. But immigration officials never cared whether the top half of the original form was submittted on return, or whether you just filled out a new one when they were handed out on the plane, because they were just used for statistical purposes- to keep track of how many tourists or residents were entering or exiting. Neither part was retained by the
resident after reentering Mexico.

It's probably better that they now stamp passports, as tourists no longer have to try to keep track of that tourist card. A friend of mine came to visit a few years ago, and when I was getting ready to drive her back to the airport, I asked if she had her tourist card handy to turn in when we got there.
She said "Huh? What tourist card?"
"The bottom half of the form you filled out on the plane that they handed back to you."
"I thought that was just a receipt- garbage. I threw it in the trash can at the airport."

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.