BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is the first week in February still a good time to see the Whales?
ftrphb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2024 at 07:12 PM
Is the first week in February still a good time to see the Whales?

How long before the Whales begin to swim north? What would the ideal week of the year be if you were planning ahead for next year?
BoenBaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2024 at 08:01 PM

Anytime in February through mid or maybe latter March, ask Shari at Whale Magic Tours.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2024 at 10:30 PM

Shari has aleady posted videos of the whales this year! They are having so much fun with them.

So, yes, Feb will be a great time to go.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2024 at 01:52 PM

Come on down in early Feb. and join me for some of Shari Bondy's Whale Magic in GN if you can.

Her schedule fills up early every year, but she can work wonders with some daily trips out to her whale camp on the guarded saltworks property.

Shari is master at juggling and will do all she can for you to experience the magic that the moms and calves offer us without ever being chased down. It is always their choice and they know better than us if we are worthy of their attention.

Nowhere else does this happen. The security of the lagoon waters from predators like orca's allows them to feel safe enough to swim up to us for some nice living rubs and a chance to look directly into those large all knowing eyes. I swear you can feel them scanning you at times to see if you are worthy of their attention.

A cosmic experience, if there ever was one, is waiting for you.

Peace, love, fish tacos, and those gentle giant moms are a gift for the ages.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2024 at 10:24 AM

First week of Feb. is a good time. It is my understanding that the males, mothers, and babies - new babies - have mostly arrived. It's good to pick a calm day in the morning, and for your comfort, not foggy or raining. Maybe go twice for different happenstance.

" ... to see if you are worthy of their attention." True. I was in a boat with a couple and their 8 yr. old son. A baby came up to the boat and the boy and I both wanted to reach over and touch it. When the boy touched it, the baby stayed close to the boat and out of the water allowing him to touch. When I reached over, the baby ducked under the water. We did this twice - baby came up - boy allowed to touch it, and then I reach over and the baby ducks.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2024 at 11:51 AM
Not too late

For reference, we were fortunate to go on Shari's final tour of the season on the 18th of March 2023.

John M
ftrphb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2024 at 04:07 PM

How safe is your camera from water? Do Wales splash water in the boats? Anyone had problems with water splashing into the boat?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2024 at 04:54 PM

They have you wear life jackets because a boat can flip. These are not Sea World critters. When they exhale, there is lots of moisture that sprays out, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-22-2024 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ftrphb  
How safe is your camera from water? Do Wales splash water in the boats? Anyone had problems with water splashing into the boat?

Your biggest hazard will probably be a shirt or vest pocket that vomits cell phones! Kidding aside, getting wet could happen in a wide variety of ways.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-22-2024 at 06:53 PM

Yes, you will get wet, especially on windy day with waves (splash, spray while motoring thru waves). Bring a waterproof bag for your camera. When conditions are wet you will want to put camera away if worried about getting it wet.
Wear clothes and shoes you dont mind getting wet.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-23-2024 at 07:20 AM

It's a busy time so be prepared for crowds and full hotels. I never did the whale thing in Baja. I've seen enough of them in Hawaii and S Pacific. Sometimes to close for comfort.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2024 at 10:24 AM

"the whale thing in Baja" is the only place in the world where grey whales migrate, give birth, nurture their babies for the epic migration trip north.
ftrphb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2024 at 07:24 PM

Anyone know how Guerrero Negro got it's name?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-23-2024 at 08:33 PM

I remember reading that it was named after a ship with that name that went aground there. Maybe someone else can confirm or refute that.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-23-2024 at 10:48 PM

I wrote about that: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/guerrero...

Here is part of that article:

What began as a salt mine camp called Salina Vizcaino in 1954 became the company town of Guerrero Negro in 1957, named after the lagoon the town is next to. Guerrero Negro is the Spanish translation for "Black Warrior" which was a ship that was wrecked on the sand bars near the mouth of the lagoon back on December 20, 1858.

Captain Robert Brown sailed into Frenchman's Lagoon on November 2, 1858. He was unaware of the events that in fewer than two months caused the lagoon's name to be changed for all time, and that a town of over 10,000 inhabitants would be named after his ship.

Robert Brown purchased the Black Warrior in Honolulu in December of 1854. The Black Warrior's previous captain was J.C. Bogart who was well known in the early days of San Diego history. Bogart first sailed into San Diego Bay in 1834. The Black Warrior was already a well known whaler before it was directed towards the lagoons of Baja California, the year following Charles Scammon's discovery of one of the gray whales largest breeding grounds.

Captain Brown had picked up a load of whale oil and was being pulled out of the lagoon when strong currents pushed the Black Warrior onto the sand bars of Frenchman's Lagoon. The coast of central Baja California has claimed many ships over the years. The sailors call the coast near Scammon's Lagoon Malarrimo which roughly means "bad to be near".

[Edited on 1-24-2024 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-25-2024 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"the whale thing in Baja" is the only place in the world where grey whales migrate, give birth, nurture their babies for the epic migration trip north.

We saw grey whales in the NW pacific along the coast of Japan / Russia. They also calve there. Or so I'm told.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2024 at 09:34 AM

Marc, nowhere else do the grey whales feel safe enough to swim up to sides of the panga's and offer themselves up for a sweet love rub from us humans. That is the magic of the lagoons in Baja.

This is so much more than whale watching anywhere else. Direct contact and by their choice is the magic.

When you make direct contact with those large eyes, it is almost palpable that you can feel that them scanning you for your worthiness of their attention. More magic, personal and up close.

Try it and you too will know what you've been missing. As a life experience, this is one that will stay with you for all your days.

Be forewarned, once is not enough and you will want to share this whale magic with others. Some friends who I have taken down in the past are going down with their friends for the same magical reason.

Peace, love and fish tacos and share in some whale love and whale facials while you are at it. haha btw It is not fishy smelling at all because they have not eaten much if anything since they left the arctic.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.