BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The Earthquake Swarms off of Loreto are back.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-7-2024 at 11:32 AM
The Earthquake Swarms off of Loreto are back.

Red is within the last 24hrs all were 4+ anyone feel anything?

IMG_4946.jpeg - 295kB
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 2-7-2024 at 05:41 PM

The earthquakes are subtle, but there sure have been quite a few in the last few days. Haven't caused any more cracks in my walls. I like to think it's letting some pressure off there in the seismicity of our region.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-7-2024 at 08:43 PM

Maybe it is the east coast of Baja continuing to lift. Nature's way of trying to save the palm tree from rising sea levels?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2024 at 06:24 AM
USGS Earthquake monitor

Showing the two largest shakers

John M
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2024 at 04:53 PM
Additional Quakes

Two more this afternoon (Thursday the 8th) in the Gulf, centered 35 or so miles east of Loreto.

In the 4.5/4.6 range.

John M

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2024 at 10:16 PM

lencho,

Since Naples Italy has risen 15’ in a few decades baja rising a few inches in the same period is entirely possible.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2024 at 04:18 PM

Looking like the big island had some seismic activity. 2.7 to 6.2 depending on who reported.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2024 at 04:14 AM
2/11 Update Red is current

The range is high 3s to high 4s

IMG_4962.jpeg - 281kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-11-2024 at 10:56 AM
A non-scientific opinion.....

Earthquake swarms when you are living near a volcano...Not good!

Earthquake swarms when you are living near a fault line....Better than one big one!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2024 at 11:33 AM

AK,

You’re from a part of the “Ring of Fire” that has both. I don’t know what this will turn out to be. There was a smaller swarm in this general area last year or so. We’re approaching the anniversary of the big Easter Mexicali quake. A volcano might be nice though. Tourists love them.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2024 at 11:52 AM
Today’s additions in red

Anyone else think that the patterns in the yellow circle looks like a giant airport? That is what google earth shows too!

IMG_4965.jpeg - 335kB
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2024 at 03:54 PM

The "you got me under me under pressure' song lyrics comes to mind.

A relief valve of any kind can be a good thing, considering the alternative of a big bomb of a bang without any prior energy mitigation like these recent tremblers hopefully represent.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 08:36 AM
The swarms are spreading! El Centro Today!

Largest 4.8 a few hours ago. With reports from SD.

IMG_4969.jpeg - 177kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Goat, these earthquakes happened. They are facts. The climate change scare is all about wild guesses about a future that hasn't happened. Their predictions, so far, have all been wrong!

Dk, you were probably born before theory of plate tectonics was developed. You may also be one of the many anericans that thinks the bible creation story is more accurate than the story spun by geoscientists.

You might be surprised to learn that much of geoscience is about computer modeling of physical processes based on what we observe today. Just like climate science!

Dk, do you know that plate tectonic theory is based on what geologists observe in rocks? Much like climate history is based on what geologists see in rocks!
Scientist use observations today to theorize about the past and future.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 12:26 PM

Goat,

I’m old enough to have been there during the great “Continents are too massive to move around like skaters” debate. My best high school friend’s Dad was the head of the Geology Dept at a major university as well as a primary consultant for energy and resource companies.

The Geology Establishment literally went to their graves refusing to admit that the pacific hotspot that created the Hawaiian island chain and the now undersea mounts north of it moved rather than the plate above it. When in fact the plate moving overhead of the hotspot actually caused the island chains. My friend’s Dad was on the side that had it right!

The point here is that the scientific establishment is usually wrong and often fights to the death (their’s) against those pushing new and (in their opinion) unproven theories. Then the process repeats itself.

To say that because you’re pleased with the current establishment’s climate opinions the debate is over is just self serving BS!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

The point here is that the scientific establishment is usually wrong...

Usually wrong??? As opposed to you, I guess, and the rest of the science deniers, who are usually right?:lol:
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 02:20 PM

Cultist,

Use the complete quote! Editing quotes selectively is a cheap shot. But consider the source!

“ The point here is that the scientific establishment is usually wrong and often fights to the death (their’s) against those pushing new and (in their opinion) unproven theories. Then the process repeats itself.”

How many thousand examples of the above do you require?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 07:20 PM

You apparently don't know what "edit" means. I didn't edit your quote, nor take them out of context. Those are the exact words you wrote in the exact order you wrote them, and I didn't bother quoting the rest of the sentence, because it doesn't change the meaning of the first part, only embellishes it.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 08:59 PM

Cultist,

Still can't parse English sentences very well!

Ok, take out of context then.

“ Quoting out of context (sometimes referred to as contextomy or quote mining) is an informal fallacy in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.[1] Context may be omitted intentionally or accidentally, thinking it to be non-essential. As a fallacy, quoting out of context differs from false attribution, in that the out of context quote is still attributed to the correct source.

Arguments based on this fallacy typically take two forms:

As a straw man argument, it involves quoting an opponent out of context in order to misrepresent their position (typically to make it seem more simplistic or extreme) in order to make it easier to refute. It is common in politics.”
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2024 at 10:57 PM

Stop being a condescending jerk. I know exactly what taken out-of-context means and explained that the part of your sentence I quoted did not in any way distort its original meaning, because the rest of that sentence just continues with the same assertion- science is usually wrong and anyone who challenges established science is vilified or silenced.

If someone writes, "I hate people who take advantage of others" and I only quote "I hate people", that is taking a quote out of context in order to distort what that person said.

If they write, "I hate people because people are disgusting", and I quote "I hate people", that isn't out of context, because it doesn't change the fact that the
writer made it clear that they hate people.

So what part of you saying "the scientific esstablishment is usually wrong" did you not mean?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.