Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Protecting Todos Santos
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 2-14-2024 at 04:34 PM

BTW Did they fix their water problem? If my memory serves me right the university
and the hotel were taking it all.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2024 at 04:37 PM

"The misinformation and disinformation that is so ubiquitous these days, if left unchallenged, becomes truth in the eyes of many. I don't consider calling it out everytime it appears ...." every time? wow - mellow out dude. BTW, your truth is not my truth.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2024 at 05:42 PM

You are obviously unclear on what the word "truth" means. (Hint: Opinions, beliefs and theories are not "truth".)

[Edited on 2-15-2024 by surabi]
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2024 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by greengoes  
BTW Did they fix their water problem? If my memory serves me right the university
and the hotel were taking it all.

Water rationing is still in place.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 02:08 PM

This modestly sized development, advertised in the Baja Western Onion, boasting "residential beachfront lots."

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 02:17 PM

2,500- 4,000 square meter lots are "modest" ???

[Edited on 3-13-2024 by surabi]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 03:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

I meant that it isn't the sprawling mega development proposed for north of Todos Santos. It's "only" 10 lots, but the "beachfront" pitch smacks of an attempt to build on - or abutting - the Federal Zone.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 05:42 PM

Million dollar bare lots! They must be better than modest!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 07:52 PM

Todos Santos lost it's character soon after the single track dirt road was paved from San Lucas, (not referring to the current four lane freeway).

Everything began changing in the Cape region after the construction of the airport, SJD.

The current pace of development and influx of wealth is shocking. Like any special place in the world, the rising property values and competition for housing with newcomers is displacing locals that have lived there for generations.

Soon the unique Choyero lifestyle will be a thing of the past.

Como dicen la jente, "el dinero manda".

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 04:34 AM

When my wife and I first start coming to Todos Santos, we looked at ocean view (not quite beachfront) properties in El Pescadero in the $20,000 to $40,000 range and thought they were a little too expensive at the time. We've clearly been priced out by now.

As the OP said, the current goal of concerned Santeños is to prevent further development on sand dunes and obstruction of public access to the beach. Even that seems a bridge too far at this juncture.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Million dollar bare lots! They must be better than modest!

Bought a 6,500m2 lot from a gringo who knew the ejido owner. He paid $25k US. I paid him $155k US for it. What I sold for was obscene.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2024 at 05:19 AM

It's the bullet "Federal Zone beach conservation concession pending" that really tells the tale.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2024 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
It's the bullet "Federal Zone beach conservation concession pending" that really tells the tale.

they should just create lots that don't require development in the 20 meters zone requiring federal concession.
since we all now coastlines advance or retreat, perhaps the lots should be created with adequate buffer to accommodate future shoreline retreat, so perhaps lots created with enough space to provide a 40 meter setback of development.
also, give that the sea level is rising, perhaps the feds should increase concession setback from 20 to 40 and perhaps 60 meters, eh? this would allow the public to use beaches without residents intruding on beach users privacy!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Biznaga

[*] posted on 3-23-2024 at 11:10 AM

Maybe this is old news for some of you, but just in case you had not seen this yet, here it is, copied direct, from the March Gringo Gazette:

"Looks like Todos Santos is in the middle of a bit of a tiff with the La Paz government over some pretty ambitious urban planning. The latest proposal from the city planners is stirring up more than just the dust in this tranquil town. They’re talking about ballooning the population from a cozy 12,000 to a whopping 150,000 in just a decade. And get this – they’re considering allowing buildings to reach the sky with 4-5 stories, all while the town’s still scratching its head over basics like sewage, water, and power.

Not surprisingly, the folks of Todos Santos are having none of it. They’re rallying together, cooking up alternative plans, and have even lawyered up for a battle. They’re pressing the government for a chat to hash it out. So, grab your popcorn, because this is going to be interesting. Will the charm of Todos Santos triumph? Stay tuned to find out!"

https://gringogazette.com/2024/03/defend-todos-santos-moveme...

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 12:13 PM

I spent some wintertime months for a few years in this once lovely area and I treasure the locals I came to know. This was in the late 70's and early 80's.

Parking at San Pedrito for free before the campground up on a small bluff with an overlook was a reward for myself and the many friends I came to know who would return every winter.

Even after the campground came to be, it was still a treasure for a few months every winter.

Imagining all the changes going on lately, does not inspire me to want to return. I would love to reconnect with these treasured friends while I still am able. Even more, the locals are having to deal with trying to protect what brought them all there to begin with.

I hope they can mitigate the damage that profiteering is bringing. Those were some magical times.

I saw the same thing happen to the East Cape and San Jose del Cabo in the 80's, 90's and early 2,000's to the point that I had trouble finding my way out to east cape road in the early 2010's. From a population of 30,000 to a quarter of a million fifteen years ago was not helpful.

I hope the developer greed can be moderated for Todos and Pescadero but I suspect that may be already history. I hope it is not hopeless.

About all anyone can do is to have their own sanctuary to keep the outside world at bay. I hope that works for my dear friends still there. I will forever be grateful for their friendships when we all were living in such simple and relatively uncomplicated times.

The water issue should be paramount and it is not. Keep draining those precious aquifers for the $. Gawd, the local water was sooo good and safe to drink back then. I hope it still is.

Dreams of the past are worth remembering. So are the treasured friends I still value to this day for the times we shared.

One of my first visits around 75 or so, I got in late at night and the only restaurant I could find still open on the highway in Pescadero served me the fish tacos I ordered straight of a can of sardines.

Why that still triggers my memory banks is because I laughed at the moment and knew this would be a memory that would be with me for all my days. I know I ate there again a number of times and always got fresh fish. There were very few choices in those days.

Best wishes to my old, make that older friends, and hope they have made their own sanctuaries to get them through their days in a special place like few others.

Peace love and fresh fish tacos to all Nomads.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
I spent some wintertime months for a few years in this once lovely area and I treasure the locals I came to know. This was in the late 70's and early 80's.

Parking at San Pedrito for free before the campground up on a small bluff with an overlook was a reward for myself and the many friends I came to know who would return every winter.

Even after the campground came to be, it was still a treasure for a few months every winter.

Imagining all the changes going on lately, does not inspire me to want to return. I would love to reconnect with these treasured friends while I still am able. Even more, the locals are having to deal with trying to protect what brought them all there to begin with.

I hope they can mitigate the damage that profiteering is bringing. Those were some magical times.

I saw the same thing happen to the East Cape and San Jose del Cabo in the 80's, 90's and early 2,000's to the point that I had trouble finding my way out to east cape road in the early 2010's. From a population of 30,000 to a quarter of a million fifteen years ago was not helpful.

I hope the developer greed can be moderated for Todos and Pescadero but I suspect that may be already history. I hope it is not hopeless.

About all anyone can do is to have their own sanctuary to keep the outside world at bay. I hope that works for my dear friends still there. I will forever be grateful for their friendships when we all were living in such simple and relatively uncomplicated times.

The water issue should be paramount and it is not. Keep draining those precious aquifers for the $. Gawd, the local water was sooo good and safe to drink back then. I hope it still is.

Dreams of the past are worth remembering. So are the treasured friends I still value to this day for the times we shared.

One of my first visits around 75 or so, I got in late at night and the only restaurant I could find still open on the highway in Pescadero served me the fish tacos I ordered straight of a can of sardines.

Why that still triggers my memory banks is because I laughed at the moment and knew this would be a memory that would be with me for all my days. I know I ate there again a number of times and always got fresh fish. There were very few choices in those days.

Best wishes to my old, make that older friends, and hope they have made their own sanctuaries to get them through their days in a special place like few others.

Peace love and fresh fish tacos to all Nomads.

I too was there then. We used to camp in the stand of palms set back from the beach. The surf was never crowded. Larga distancia calls and fish tacos at Pilars in TS. We'd fill up on water from the spigot in the park in TS.

By the 80s that changed and we moved on to Pastora. The whole area was done by the 90s. Now I sometimes drive the coast road from Conejo and don't stop in TS at all except to air up.

Baja is still kinda fun but very limited now. :(

[Edited on 3-24-2024 by chippy]
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2024 at 06:30 AM

----still 'kinda' fun------Pretty much says it all. Like going to Disneyland when you're 75.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2024 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Biznaga  
..... from the March Gringo Gazette:

"Looks like Todos Santos is in the middle of a bit of a tiff with the La Paz government over some pretty ambitious urban planning. The latest proposal from the city planners is stirring up more than just the dust in this tranquil town. They’re talking about ballooning the population from a cozy 12,000 to a whopping 150,000 in just a decade. And get this – they’re considering allowing buildings to reach the sky with 4-5 stories, all while the town’s still scratching its head over basics like sewage, water, and power.

https://gringogazette.com/2024/03/defend-todos-santos-moveme...

Todos is the red-headed stepchild of La Paz. Corruption flows from the top down. Protests seem to have little effect on how things are playing out. LP knows homes are being built on the dunes.

Gill nets are illegal in Baja. Nets are strung from the North point of Pedrito South to El Gavilan. Saguero, cardon, cholla land scraped by dozers at midnight -- nothing is done to stop the pillage. Not my country. Just keep letting go of reality.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2024 at 03:29 PM

In the meantime the beat goes on.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2024 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
In the meantime the beat goes on.

Large resorts by mega coporations, designed by corporate architects as faux mexican pueblos, so guests can experience “authentic” mexico :lol::lol:

Sad that the sheeple flock to the faux eco faux pueblo resorts,… i guess they just dont know better. Perhaps they would care if they were informed?

Support small, local biz, not mega chains.

Woke!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.