BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cutting the border line in Tecate--- don`t do it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2024 at 06:39 PM

Crossed at Tecate on motorbikes multiple times. Super fast process.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2024 at 08:18 PM

With motos excepted, going to the back of the line when driving north to cross at Tecate is the rule. People honk their horns at those who try to cut in and then police quickly appear. Passenger vehicles keep to the right while semis swoop past on the left and given space to cut across to get over to the right entry lane.

This past Monday, the line was almost 2 km long and finding the real end of it pulling a trailer was a bit of a puzzle. Winding past the usual turn to the border and on through the neighbourhoods below, we arrived at end of the line with help from kind people along the way.

We were through the border in an hour and I never mind the wait. It’s a time to enjoy the last moments of a vibrant culture in charming scenery to the south while contemplating the implications of the wall and land beyond to the north. There’s usually sunshine, a cool breeze, blossoms, food and entertainment along the way at this time of year.

Many cross the border by their own method and I value the privilege of being able to pass through international boundaries relatively quickly and effortlessly.

Thankfully, crossing at Tecate is not everybody’s cup of tea.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 11:41 AM

In Tecate??

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Those of us with Sentri get to cut the line with government approval. It is very rewarding to drive past 1,000 cars on a busy day.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 12:57 PM

JZ's absence is yet an additional reason to cross at Tecate.
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 01:31 PM

Those of us with Sentri get to cut the line with government approval. It is very rewarding to drive past 1,000 cars on a busy day.

you must be very proud! :lol:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
In Tecate??

With Sentri yo don't need to drive an hour plus out of the way to get a shorter line.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  

you must be very proud! :lol:

If you hadn't smoked all that MaryJane in the 70's you'd be able to get a Sentri pass. :light:

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2024 at 07:22 AM

What a charmer.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2024 at 10:16 AM

i cross at Tecate, no Sentri there, as often as I do TIJ/SY where I use the Sentri. Have seen the cops pounce on many a lane switcher in Tecate.

I suspect the Colorado plated vehicle mentioned by the OP found themselves in the right commercial truck lane, realized their mistake and switched lanes. Anyone unfamiliar with Tecate crossing could easily make that mistake. That switch rarely goes without notice by the local cops.

Tecate can work very well Tuesday thru Friday afternoons. The weekends and Monday forget it. You will wait.

Last Thursday returning north and pulling a trailer we arrived in Mexicali early afternoon. We pulled from GN to there. CBP app showed 90 minutes wait at both Mexicali crossings and Tecate with a 10 minute wait. I made the decision to use toll road and went west to Tecate. Crossed in less that 10 minutes and surprisingly no secondary even with the trailer. I always use my Sentri card at all land crossings. It seems to help facilitate the crossings.

Instead of waiting 90 minutes in Mexicali we used those 90 minutes to go west. We saved ourselves some idle windshield time and made progress towards our home in San Clemente. Tecate can work as a border crossing.

Sidenote, there was military checkpoint on the toll road, second booth. Also there was an immigration official there and he checked our visas. No problems there. Quick look at passports and visas and on our way. Also, The Tecate cops are still up to their tricks and preying upon gringos.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2024 at 12:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I've lived in Mexico over 20 years, speak Spanish,and have never heard anyone use "gaviota" to mean a line-cutter.

Gaviota, Spanish for seagull. Also an unincorporated town in Santa Barbara County.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2024 at 09:11 AM

Reading comprehension? Am well aware that gaviota means seagull in Spanish. I said I had never heard it used as slang for line-cutter.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2024 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Reading comprehension? Am well aware that gaviota means seagull in Spanish. I said I had never heard it used as slang for line-cutter.

I believe the original poster using gaviota was a comparison to the common sight of seagulls fighting for position over food. Ya think?
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-26-2024 at 01:23 PM

well SY now has a dedicated bike lane.....

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.