Author: Subject: Dangerous Road Conditions HWY 1
RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 12:08 AM
Dangerous Road Conditions HWY 1

Hi All,

Just drove up from Cerritos Thursday. The road to Constitution is generally good with a few deep potholes. The road on the South side of the flood control channel past Home Depot in La Paz is closed. See Map below.

IMG_5005.jpeg - 191kB

The road from Constitution to Loreto is good also with a few potholes

North of Loreto in the area of the Military checkpoint the South bound lane is reduced to 1/2 of a lane for about 40’ Trucks will use the entire highway to pass this point be careful!

The road north of the Loreto checkpoint to Mulegé has some potholes as does the road to Santa Rosalia.

The road from Santa Rosalia is generally good as far as the 28th parallel.

The road from the 28rh to Punta Prieta has bad potholes. From Jose y Maria north the potholes are so bad in places as to require speeds of under 30 MPH. There is one repair crew fixing potholes North of Jose Y Maria expect about a 10 min delay

North of Punta Preita to the Chapella turn off at HWY 5 the road is good. HWY 5 is in good shape to Mexicali.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 01:35 AM

Thanks for that latest update. We are really liking the newest updates to the route through La Paz with the one way both directions on either side , new trees and walking /running paths being put in. A bit confusing heading North after you cross the bridge but much faster and safer than previously. From your marked path it looks like you missed the exit right to turn left across Forjadores just past the bridge.

[Edited on 2-25-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 06:48 AM

Just drove the same route back north with similar experience. New route through La Paz is a good update. Slower speeds through pot holes are definitely required, especially of towing. Asked to declare food items at border, even if originally purchased in USA.

Safe travels,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for the road conditions update. These are always gold on Nomad.
With the road along the river levee in La Paz closed, what is the detour, further north, through downtown?
Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 03:38 PM

I would turn left on Mujica, then work up to Forjadores on Colosio, then right on Forjadores and south. That small section was not closed when we went through recently. Must be further work on the new one way routes with lights rather than the old 2 ways both roads with 4-way stops.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 08:13 PM

David,

Sorry about using red/green. I forgot. We went across bridge to the 1st place North and made a “U” turn. There’s a road that’s open on the North levee and goes West to the highway to Constitution.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-25-2024 at 09:18 PM
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Dangerous Road Conditions HWY 1.

Clarkie,
I wouldn't call it ”dangerous.” Drove down to loreto last month. I found hwy 1 to be normal, some sections a bit more pot holy than others, e.g. just north of GN, but nothing much different than some prior years. Relatively speaking, it was not more dangerous than usual.

Thank you for your service!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-25-2024 at 09:58 PM

Goat,

I’ll post pictures of the bad sections when we go back end of the week. It’s worse than I’ve seen it in the last 8 years. The single deep potholes are actually as dangerous as they are bad enough to bend something or blow a tire if you hit one going 100KM/HR+!

Stay dry more heavy rain is on the way.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2024 at 07:35 AM

I’ll post pictures of the bad sections when we go back end of the week.

Thank you for your service!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2024 at 07:53 AM

David,

Sorry about using red/green. I forgot. We went across bridge to the 1st place North and made a “U” turn. There’s a road that’s open on the North levee and goes West to the highway to Constitution.

Ahhh... I looked more intensely and I could make out the green arrow. If you didn't mention that you used green, I wouldn't noticed that. The red line on the levee was clear. As the others said, thank you for your service! ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2024 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Dangerous Road Conditions HWY 1.

Clarkie,
I wouldn't call it ”dangerous.” Drove down to loreto last month. I found hwy 1 to be normal, some sections a bit more pot holy than others, e.g. just north of GN, but nothing much different than some prior years. Relatively speaking, it was not more dangerous than usual.

Things change almost overnight.

You poo-poo'd comments I made couple years ago about potholes on 5 -- I hit a big one and thought I did major damage to a tire and wheel. I checked TPMS system all the way to GN.

If Clark says current potholes are dangerous, I believe him!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-26-2024 at 10:27 AM

Based on my observations over the years, potholes do not get eliminated, they just get re-located!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BoenBaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2024 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Based on my observations over the years, potholes do not get eliminated, they just get re-located!

And some are big enough to get their own zip codes!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2024 at 04:44 PM

Driving a bit slower makes dodging them quite a bit easier. In a hurry? Why?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2024 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Driving a bit slower makes dodging them quite a bit easier. In a hurry? Why?

i have never seen the 5 or 1 without some potholes, missing shoulder, fallen rocks in the road, or animal in lane or on shoulder.
always prudent to never drive so fast that you can't see/avoid any unexpected road hazard.
and when it is dark the road hazards tend to be invisible, especially invisible are potholes and missing pavement that lurk under cover of darkness.

Woke!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2024 at 09:24 AM

"dangerous" pothole situation .... when a driver is being prudent to carefully avoid or maneuver through potholes, and needs to slow down - with an 18-wheeler behind you, or even passing you at that moment and you're forced to slam on your brakes cuz you can't go around that huge, deep pothole - yes, driving is dangerous. Was driving that terrible stretch north of GN, with a tailgater - why he wouldn't pass me I dunno - but had to slam on my brakes to avoid a 5 ft x 1 ft x 8" deep "pothole" and he had to swerve off the pavement into a ditch to avoid slamming into me. Yes - can be DANGEROUS. When a driver does, unfortunately, experience a flat due to a pothole, and compelled to drive 5 mph on Hwy 1 until an available turnoff, and gringos are coming up behind you in their trucks 65 mph, yes, can be dangerous.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2024 at 10:31 AM

When a semi comes up behind me, I slow and use my left turn signal, and move towards the shoulder. I'll keep slowing until they pass. Same with cars/trucks.

On some roads, with semi's heading towards me, I slow down.

Since potholes can be anywhere, and almost overnight, it's not possible to avoid hitting all potholes.

I've only hit one pothole that gave me concern and that was on 5. In a short time, that hole and others in the area, were fixed.

Fixed doesn't mean anything since they come back, or mysteriously reappear somewhere else down the road.

A prudent driver shouldn't have to slam on the brakes.

Funny story: the road going South of Jesus Maria was repaved and not painted yet. I hit a tope just past the gas station in my RV and got air. Topes are another nuisance.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-29-2024 at 05:13 PM
Potholes? I laugh at them!

IMG_5015_page_1.jpeg - 177kB

[Edited on 3-1-2024 by RFClark]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-8-2024 at 01:54 PM
Pictures of potholes North of Jose Y Maria looking North

We returned last Wednesday. North bound.
The worst potholes are in the 50KM streach North of J Y M.
IMG_3531.jpeg - 147kB

IMG_3528.jpeg - 160kB

IMG_3525.jpeg - 107kB

IMG_3524.jpeg - 104kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2024 at 08:06 AM

Those potholes in the picture are indeed bad. The worst potholes I've encountered recently are on highway 3 between Ensenada and San Felipe. Those hole go through all layers of pavement to the earth below. In fact I'm sure everyone has experienced something like this. As you're driving along you need to make quick decisions on which ones you can handle at your speed and which ones to avoid. You can't avoid all. If you're seeing light warm colored sand in the pothole your mental warning system should engage to completely avoid them. They're usually deeper and have a nasty edge to them.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.