David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 07:51 AM
Tesla's Cybertrucks get tested in Baja

From Fall 2023:

https://youtu.be/qLWxjtIpJz0?si=FtvjsgwcJY3p2_s2

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 08:21 AM

Looks like those travelers spent their trip worried about their vehicle, spare parts, fuel use and where to charge their vehicle.
I like my f150, i never have to think about it, it just goes, it has 500+ mile range, and fuel is available everywhere.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Looks like those travelers spent their trip worried about their vehicle, spare parts, fuel use and where to charge their vehicle.
I like my f150, i never have to think about it, it just goes, it has 500+ mile range, and fuel is available everywhere.

Baja's governor is banning ICE by 2027.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 08:34 AM

I Enjoyed the metal music, and the generous use of drama.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 09:31 AM

Imagine getting paid to run that course...what a dream job! I would love to put one of those Cybertrucks through it's paces, but don't see an EV in my future.

Cost alone puts any vehicle newer than about ten years out of my budget, and EVs that old would be either ready for the scrap yard, or equal the cost of a new one to restore.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2024 at 10:22 AM

[Edited on 3-18-2024 by BajaNomad]
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 06:15 AM

The guys seemed surprised when they hit the big berm and broke the windshield. They commented about the unpredictability of the road. I wonder what they expected. I remember when the highway used to be about that unpredictable. Hard way to learn about Cholla Cactus. But it was interesting.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 09:41 AM

A sudden wash out on an otherwise decent road is why I absolutely Hate anti-lock braking on a dirt road! I would rather skid to a stop than hit a hazard at a slightly lower speed.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
A sudden wash out on an otherwise decent road is why I absolutely Hate anti-lock braking on a dirt road! I would rather skid to a stop than hit a hazard at a slightly lower speed.

That is a fact!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 10:44 AM

My 1-ton van takes forever to stop on dirt roads with the Anti-lock brake system. It's easy to install a simple toggle/rocker switch to disable ABS for off road use.

For infrequent off-roading, I believe that you can just pull the relay/fuse on many older vehicles. Specific to your vehicle, so do the research first. Guessing that it would disable the modern traction control systems which utilize electronic braking.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

My 1-ton van takes forever to stop on dirt roads with the Anti-lock brake system. It's easy to install a simple toggle/rocker switch to disable ABS for off road use.

For infrequent off-roading, I believe that you can just pull the relay/fuse on many older vehicles. Specific to your vehicle, so do the research first. Guessing that it would disable the modern traction control systems which utilize electronic braking.

If you are being caught unaware of road hazards and hitting the hazards at speed, then you are driving too fast, and/or not paying attention.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 03:27 PM

Funny thing about ABS brakes, as they are different and not all the same.

My 2005 Tacoma was the only one of my three (2001, 2010) that didn't want to stop in dirt... It was infuriating! I tried to get my dealer to fix it, but the answer was "that's normal"! Yet, my 2001 never had an issue like that, it was perfect. The 2005 was the first year for the Second Gen Tacoma and it is never wise to buy a first year new model. Let them figure out the bugs... My 2005 had a couple other issues, but still wasn't bad to not go with Toyota again for the third time. Now, 14+ years and 137,000 miles later, I am so happy this 2010 truck is my "rest of my life" vehicle.

I was so relieved that my 2010 brakes work great in the dirt (as did my 2001) so there was or is some that will not lock up so you might go off a small cliff. I wonder if there is some way the 4-tire spin sensors can detect the difference in what you are braking on?

[Edited on 3-19-2024 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 04:21 PM

Turn of ABS is as simple as removing its fuse.
I put an jumper with a switch to turn it back on when on pavement. When you activate it with your switch the check engine light will go away at the next restart.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2024 at 04:32 PM

Thanks Paul, I will see if I can find that fuse in my old Isuzu Trooper. If I get a few more loose ends tied up soon, I hope to be on the road south from Bahia de Los Angeles very soon.

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2024 at 08:57 AM

Could that so-called truck be any uglier? Make that fuglier. haha

I saw one on the road for the first time last week and the thought that came to mind was that driver has too much expendable money and too little thinking ability.

Rivian makes beautiful trucks and a few other models. I talked to a mom in a grocery parking lot and she loved it. Who could not appreciate never buying a gallon of gas again? Going on a Baja road trip? Not so much. haha

Which one of those two will run the Baja Mil first? The cyber truck would not last long at the crawl speed it needs to not wreck itself and bust out a windshield? The ugly goes deeper than skin deep.

Elon will not make a profit off of this abomination. Does he care?

Tesla cars and Space X have been and are great advancements. Some other of Elons vanity pursuits, not so much. I hope it was worth it for him to lose being the wealthiest person on the planet. How far down that exclusive list has he fallen? Karma can be a beyatch Elon.

I hope he can get past his ego for more of what he is best at. We all have seen where he is not at his best.

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2024 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Could that so-called truck be any uglier? Make that fuglier. haha

There is one in my hood. It's like a huge Delorian. It has a Realtor sign on it. I'd prefer a realtor driving a 30 year old rusty Dodge Dart than this head-hole - like going to a mechanic who owns a yacht.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2024 at 02:08 PM

The one I saw did not have a realtors sign on it. That takes some hubris. Lets hope that agent pays for his delusion by losing business.

The genius behind seeing those stage rockets landing to be reused amazes me every time.

His social profile however should have been kept to himself.

Comparing the cyber truck to a Delorean is funny and fun. Good one bajadogs.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2024 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

There is one in my hood. It's like a huge Delorian. It has a Realtor sign on it. I'd prefer a realtor driving a 30 year old rusty Dodge Dart than this head-hole - like going to a mechanic who owns a yacht.

There was a dentist in my town in Canada who used to send a newsletter to his patients, which talked about many things aside from dentistry, like what he and his family were up to, as if anyone cared. This was before the days of Facebook, etc.- he would actually mail them. At one point he posted photos of himself and his family on their yacht on vacation in Hawaii. Many of his patients found it incredibly crass and offensive, considering how the dental work they had had to have done affected their budget.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2024 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

There was a dentist in my town in Canada who used to send a newsletter to his patients, which talked about many things aside from dentistry, like what he and his family were up to, as if anyone cared. This was before the days of Facebook, etc.- he would actually mail them. At one point he posted photos of himself and his family on their yacht on vacation in Hawaii. Many of his patients found it incredibly crass and offensive, considering how the dental work they had had to have done affected their budget.

I think RE agents should make good money like anyone else. Why do you all want your RE agent to only be able to afford an old dodge dart? Have you ever dealt with a bad RE agent? Bad agents can really flock up a purchase/sale. I prefer to deal with a good agent, and I think there would be no good agents if the earnings were chit for good agents.

If you are jealous of your dentist making good money, then get off your butt and go to dental school!

Woke!

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2024 at 10:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

I think RE agents should make good money like anyone else. Why do you all want your RE agent to only be able to afford an old dodge dart? Have you ever dealt with a bad RE agent? Bad agents can really flock up a purchase/sale. I prefer to deal with a good agent, and I think there would be no good agents if the earnings were chit for good agents.

If you are jealous of your dentist making good money, then get off your butt and go to dental school!

Goat The Capitalist.... My oh my! I can see clearly now the rain is gone!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.