Author: Subject: Ranger Raptor
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-21-2024 at 02:23 PM
Ranger Raptor

I think I just discovered my next vehicle
Impractical? You bet! Who cares

https://jalopnik.com/the-2024-ford-ranger-raptor-is-exactly-...

[Edited on 3-21-2024 by thebajarunner]
jwheel1970

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 09:07 AM

That looks really good and seems to be priced fairly. It is a little annoying that you have to add as options many features the Tacoma has stock. I don't know much about that engine, any idea on MPG?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 09:46 AM

You can tell Toyota has been the leader in this category with their TRD Pro Tacoma and years of the TRD Off Road Tacomas that the others want a piece of that action. The new 2024 Tacoma has been getting some really great reviews.

Best of Luck to Ford, they have a big hill to climb!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 10:37 AM

Tacoma have been around for a long time Rangers not so much. Wait 10 years and see what happens.
Lately Tacoma's sell more than twice an many as Rangers and the Ranger off road version is new this month.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 10:45 AM

This Ranger smokes the Toyota on every level. Toyota is underpowered with bad fuel economy. But the majority of Toyota owners are happy with their overland rack looking cool at the Sprouts parking lot.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 10:53 AM

Agree with TIo that the TacoTruck is looking a bit long of tooth.

This mini-Raptor sets a whole new standard

I see nothing on MPG stats, that is not make or break for a truck of this stature, but would be helpful to know.

I am also really leery of buying a rig in its first year of existence
Been there/done that.
Bought at 2015 Macan when it first came out..... 9 months on special order.
Great car, still have it. Just turned 100k
BUT>>>> last time in for service they told me that the "aluminum" bolt pans were stretching and there was a minor leak developing.
ALUMINUM?????
Apparently the genius crew at Stuttgart decided that they could save a few bucks.
Fix estimate? $9000....
OK how much for a new motor??? $38,000!!!

I asked my buddy the local Dodge dealer what he would do.
He recommended buying a large floor pan for the garage and watching the engine oil lite.

So much for first generation rigs
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 02:55 PM

Agree with TIo that the Taco Truck is looking a bit long of tooth.

=== =
Agree Nothing Toyota sells is comparable to the Ranger Raptor. Not even close.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Agree with TIo that the Taco Truck is looking a bit long of tooth.

=== =
Agree Nothing Toyota sells is comparable to the Ranger Raptor. Not even close.

Correct- Toyota is and has always been the DOLLAR GENERAL of trucks.

If you want a real truck for work, construction, etc. Go elsewhere.
If you want a truck to commute like a tesla , go Yota.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 09:44 PM

A Toyota gets a lot of love by its owners because it's so reliable. The motor just goes and goes and the 4WD is solid. So, go ahead a poo poo the Tacoma but it will not lose its value like the American brands due and you won't see it Found On the Road Dead. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† (Twice I have pulled our mechanic son's Ranger 4x4 because the transfer case wouldn't engage the front diff.) He doesn't own it any longer.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2024 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
A Toyota gets a lot of love by its owners because it's so reliable. The motor just goes and goes and the 4WD is solid. So, go ahead a poo poo the Tacoma but it will not lose its value like the American brands due and you won't see it Found On the Road Dead. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† (Twice I have pulled our mechanic son's Ranger 4x4 because the transfer case wouldn't engage the front diff.) He doesn't own it any longer.

The mini/midsize market is a relatively low profit arena.
Ford has upped the ante.
Obviously, Toyota is going to have to step up their game to catch up to the new Ford.
Being a Ford owner, I appreciate the SuperDuty roots and know how much of a beating these trucks can take.
If this Raptor Ranger is the little cousin of the SuperDuty,
Toyota is going to have a hard time catching up.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2024 at 10:48 AM

Bought my last F150 off the showroom floor in 1998
Gave it to my son for his Gruadalupe group home last year.
160,000 miles, never missed a beat- zero issues over the 25 year life.
At least 60,000 of those miles were in Baja, and probably 10-12,000 were on real genuine Baja dirt.
Reliability? Total!!
Ford has never let me down, in Baja or around town
When it was new it got 18 mpg on the road
When I gave it away it had nicely loosened up to 22 mpg on the road
Not bad for a big V8
Hard to take my eyes off that Ranger Raptor
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2024 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

hell yeah go for it!:yes:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-23-2024 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

hell yeah go for it!:yes:

I like it, and could put it to work most days of the week. Unfortunately, the price range of 60 to 80 thousand dollars would leave me two choices;

Cash out my retirement savings
Finance a ride that would stretch my disposable income to it's limit

My fixed income is not keeping up with inflation, so older wheels are in my future for now!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 06:18 AM

I bought a 2022 Ranger Raptor diesel , new in La Paz, great MPG, comfortable, amazing compact truck, however the bed weld cracked, and continues to spread. I took it to the dealer with 9,000 miles. They said they won’t fixed it because I have a standard leer camper shell on it. Weighs maybe 180 lbs ?

Said with shell on there , bed can’t flex ?? Anyway, paying out of pocket for repair. I see the 2024 looks like a stronger bed.
Great truck, crap dealer service and/or warranty in my personal opinion

[Edited on 3-24-2024 by tecatero]
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 07:00 AM

You can tell Toyota has been the leader in this category with their TRD Pro Tacoma and years of the TRD Off Road Tacomas that the others want a piece of that action. The new 2024 Tacoma has been getting some really great reviews.

Best of Luck to Ford, they have a big hill to climb!

As a Toyota guy (multiple 2nd gen Tacos including a supercharger/longtravel/35s/gears/lockers/etc build, multiple 1st gen 4runners and an FJZ80), the '24 Ranger Raptor is an all around better truck than the '24 TRD Pro for off road use. Don't get me wrong, the 4th gen Taco is a HUGE step forward compared to the total crap 3rd gen with the new fully boxed frame, linked suspension, BIG rear end and drive train but Toyota squandered the significant market advantage they had with the 2nd gen and let the competition catch up and pass them. Ford took the lessons they've learned from developing 3 generations of F-150 Raptors and focused that into the suspension components, motor, trans and rear end of the Ranger Raptor. The best review video I've found, which includes an interview with the Ranger Raptor Chief Engineer is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO77GpXo_EA
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 08:54 AM

Thanks towntaco for your opinion. Fancy bells and whistles are nice, but will it have the quality and reliability you get in a Toyota product?

Looking forward to Tioloco's and thebajarunner's feedback after driver theirs for a few years!

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 09:07 AM

Thanks towntaco for your opinion. Fancy bells and whistles are nice, but will it have the quality and reliability you get in a Toyota product?

Looking forward to Tioloco's and thebajarunner's feedback after driver theirs for a few years!

I am not in the mini truck market. I am happy with my Ford Superduties. But it looks like Ford took a lot of engineering from the F150 and put it to work on this smaller platform.
Lightyears ahead of the Toyota.

As for reliability, Ford trucks dominate in the farming and construction industry. We use our trucks to get stuff done. On dirt roads more frequently than at the car washes. They are also used to haul groceries lol.
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 10:18 AM

First, I base my opinion off personal experience and being friends with the lead trip mechanic for Expedition X Off Road, which has lead hundreds of trucks through Baja over the last decade.

I really think you are over indexing on their former reliability glory days. 3rd gen Taco motors suffered from oil starvation issues, rear 3rd members that went pop after you ran tires larger than 255s and terrible transmission programming. '22/23 Tundras have seen a ton of turbo failures in stock trucks.

The persistent issue with Ford TTV6s (2.7s, 3.0s like in the Bronco/Ranger Raptor and 3.5) are cam phasers. The other is IWEs, which received a significant redesign with the 3rd gen Raptor and appear to be MUCH more reliable than previous iterations.

All the platforms have their weak points but Baja failures have shown the newest generation Tundra or 3rd gen Taco are not more reliable than a 14th gen F-150 or 3rd gen Raptor.

The best data points we have on the Ranger Raptor are from Australia, where the truck has held up very well to extreme abuse. There are enough Bronco Raptors here to have some initial indications that the motors/turbos/trans are holding up well. The most untested new platform is the 4th gen Tacoma and it should be viewed as such after the dismal showing of the 3rd gen.

[Edited on 3-24-2024 by towntaco]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 11:59 AM

Thank you!
It is sad that Toyota's product success with the 10 year run on the Second Gen (2005-2015) or the First Generation's 9 years (1995-2004) wasn't maintained with the 3rd for its shortened 7 year run (2016-2023).
The review for the 2024 4th Gen Tacoma are really high, however.

Anyway, good luck Ford! Watching the film 'Ford vs. Ferrari' makes me a big Ford fan... or at least a Ken Miles and Carol Shelby fan!

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-24-2024 at 12:59 PM

I've been with Tundra for 15 years. Had Porsches now for 50+ years. This one looks cool for bad roads. Definitely not for off road

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.