Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: TECATE TO SAN IGNACIO
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2003 at 04:46 PM
TECATE TO SAN IGNACIO

Amigos, Tecate to San Ignacio in one day hauling a boat???? Suggestions on where to stop with a pick up & boat....

Ensenada, Guerro Negro, San Ignacio??

Final destination Loreto....

Also best route from Tecate?
Time border crossing at Tecate opens?
I drive relatively slow hauling my boat...
50 MPH.....hours driving time to all those destinations (approximate).

Always appreciate your help and suggestions! Capt. George
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-18-2003 at 05:08 PM

Hi George, my two centavos opinion would be to not push it and plan on Catavina/Sta. Ynez or the L.A. Bay jcn. for the first night.

The hilly driving south of Tecate, south of Ensenada, and specially south of El Rosario will be a bigger burden than 50 mph avg. Tecate opens at 6 am (I think).

However, why not go south from Tijuana on the toll highway (open 24 hrs, and faster speed possible).

Catavina to Loreto is much easier. Just the steep downgrade to Santa Rosalia will slow you down.

Whatever you do don't rush or drive at night on narrow Hwy. 1, and get there safe!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 04:53 AM
Trip to Loreto

Thanks David! Thinking about Tecate because I'm going to have a lot of stuff, staying from Oct through May....Lots of fishing tackle in poarticular. Heard it's a more liberal policy crossing at Tecate??
Will be in no rush at all, no schedule. Two nights on the way south, no problem.
How is the inspection at Tiajuana and the drive through the city hauling a 19 footer?
etc., etc., etc.?? dadgcp@msn.com
Thanks for your help now and in the past!
George
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 06:07 AM

Geroge

David's right

Just drive slow and safe. Sometimes you will want to almost stop when a semi passes you.

Tijuana to Guerrero Negro = 12 hrs with boat.

You might not have enough light to get as far as you want.

Tijauna crossing is very easy. If you don't have your visa you can get it at the border.
If you cross very early they will let you park you boat right there. After they will chase you out. No proplem with your fishing stuff. Everyone brings it.

No town driving in Tijauna. You follow the boarder till you get to the coast then a 4 lane highway to Ensanada. (~$8.00 toll)

Have FUN

Bob and Susan;D;D

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 07:13 AM
start from tecate!! see the guadalupe valle!!

Geo, trust me on this, its beyootiful!
i drug my 34' trailer that way, you're coming from the east, not north so why go to TJ? big waste of time. look, it will take you 3 days of driving min to do it all the way to Loreto easy from Tecate - why push it? i did it to mulege in 3. call me i'll lay out the plan for where to stop for the night but good choices are - SQ, catavina, san ignac, guerrero neg, etc! and of course my placio in mulege where BBQ is king and pigs run scared!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
...my placio in mulege where BBQ is king and pigs run scared!!

:lol:

[Edited on 9-19-2003 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 08:13 AM

Driving from Tecate down Mex. 3 is a two-lane road with many sharp turns, blind turns, etc. With a boat you'd be driving 20-35 mph most of the way. I definitely would not want to be hauling a boat on that twisty road. Yes, it's a pretty drive, but if you want safety and good driving conditions, then take U.S. Int. 8 and the toll road from TJ to Ensenada. Any inspection at the TJ entry is unlikely. The TJ entry is open 24/7. There is no driving through the City. You get on the highway to Ensenada going straight after you pass the entry point , then a left onramp - follow the signs.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 08:18 AM

What about a leisurely (day 1) drive through the wine country south of Tecate, lunch at a small taco stand somewhere on the outskirts of Ensenada or in Maneadero, with the campground at Cielito Lindo for the night, just south of San Quintin. All an easy days? drive.

Day 2: Cielito Lindo departure whenever and 3 hours later stop at Santa Ynes, just south of Catavina for food, then on to San Ignacio, 4 more hours for the night try Ricardo?s Rice and Beans hotel and restaurant ($45/night, meals great and ~$8 on average).

Day 3 San Ignacio to Santa Rosalia (2 hrs) where you grab a pan dulce from the bakery and continue south to Loreto (3.5 hours) for dinner.

I built in an additional day, but that makes it more leisurely, you can arrive relaxed and absorb some local scenery. The places I?ve mentioned all have adequate turn-around space for someone towing a boat.

Have a great trip and please report back.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 09:30 AM
THANK YOU TRIP PLANNERS

Amigos, you guys are the best.....always considerate and knowledgeable.

I really appreciate all your help, you'll all always be welcome in Loreto at our casa!

Will print out all. Mucho Gracias.....

Capt. George
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 11:40 AM

the trailer and boat i hauled down last week was 8' wide at the tires. on the way down i left tj at 8am and arrived san ignacio at 9:30pm. this made for a nice 4hr drive the next day into loreto. we stoped for 40 min for lunch, and 45 min trailer brake repair. we hit G.N. just after sundown. If you cross the border at 5am you should be able to safely and comfortably make it to san ignacio by sundown. I personally like san ignacio because of ricardos rice and beans hotel, the rooms are great the food is grerat and the boat and gear seems to be safe. I dont know about the rest of you, but when i'm heading to loreto, nothing on hwy 1 is enticing enough for me to waste too much time on.........
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 12:02 PM
driving

This is a test

[Edited on 9-19-2003 by Ski Baja]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 02:14 PM

George, you can cross either place with ease. We always go on to Tijuana and take the toll road when southbound and come out at Tecate. If you decide to go in at Tecate, you can stay at Portrero State Park and camp there. It is great camping. We always go to El Pebellon the first day. We find it much nicer and quieter that Cielito Lindo, the noisest thing I have ever heard there was a racous seagull. Then we generally make it to San Lucas on the second night. If things are going slowly, you can also stay at El Mallarimo in Guerro Negro. This is one of our favorite restaurants and places to stay in that area.
Hope to see you guys down there. If business just slows down a little we are leaving Colorado on Oct. 1, and if things stay real busy we may have to stay here till the 10th. But the camper and boat are loaded and we are southbound.:yes:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 02:26 PM
pescador, stop in if you venture south of

caleta san lucas!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2003 at 03:02 PM
Southbound, Yeah!

Jim, if you have the time, could you be more specific with your southbound route, campsites etc.......

E me at home, I finally have a lap top set up just when we're getting ready to leave! Had no phone connection at in trailer. Will try to use cell phone hook up next year....

Look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in Loreto...be there late October, early November.....

Best regards.......George
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 04:17 AM
Acroos the Border

Hi Glenn,

Would like to be on our way on the Baja side of the border by first light...No rush from that point on......rather take it easy and be safe. Will be rtrailering the boat and it's our first trip driving Baja Norte.

Did you receive my E of yesterday at home? Check it out....Thanks George
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 09:22 AM
be sure Capt. George to visit

the new nautical and fishing info discussion board over at www.baja.net

a lot of your amigos are there too!

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 10:00 AM
Southbound

George,
All sounds good:bounce:I prefer to cross at Tijuana when heading with a "load". They seam to look the other way at 6am in morning;D, and friends at Tecate have been detained for hours in past.
The 3 day plan makes San Qunitin the good stop, with San Ignacio the next.
The 2 day plan, means getting into Guerro Negro where there are lots of choices to stay and eat.
You have to decide, but with your long term plans for Loreto, you have the time to explore and experiance some great places and people heading south.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 11:32 AM
SOUTHBOUND

La Tijerteta,

If you have the time please E me at home, have a lap top set up. Believe I sent you a BCC (original to Jim) Pescador.
Need as much info as possible, have never crossed border.....Drove Mulege to Cabo Pulmo and back, no problem. Militrary check points were actually fun, nice guys, they seem to like "Bomberos".

Always a great appreciation for all thehelp I receive from you westerners, us N/E Yankees could learn a lot from you guys!! Thanks......

George......See you in Loreto, staying at 24 calle Davis, corner of Benito Juarez...
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 03:53 PM
Road Trip

Capt. George
I would have to agree with the three day driving plan. Especially since it is your first time driving Mex 1. After a time or two you'll probably start doing it in two days. Crossing at Tecate or Tijuana is six to one half a dozen another; but don't tell the aduanas at the border you are going to your house in Loreto. You will be inspected less thoroughly if they think you are just a tourist.
Day One: I usually cross around 9:00am, arrive in San Quintien around 3:00 pm. Day Two: Leave SQ around 8:30am. arrive Gurrero around 3:30pm. Day Three: Leave Guerro around 6:00am arrive mi casa en Loreto 1:00pm.
After a trip or two, and you figure out where you need to slow down, you will probably end up leaving San Quintien around 4:00 am. and arrive in Loreto around 4:30pm. Hey, it works for me, driving down twice a year for the last 12 and pulling a trailer for the last four years.:tumble:
I'll be looking for you, we will be getting to Loreto around the 5th. of Oct. We live on the north end of Calle Davis. Bien Viaje Amigo. CJ:cool:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 06:16 PM

Capt. Mike: Yep we are headed way south this year again. Will be headed for La Ventana first, and leave there around the middle of November. Plan on coming north, spending a few days in Loreto and teaching Capt. George how to catch some yellowtail. Will check at Santispac to see if the Jolly Roger Flag is flying. If so I guess I could always stop there a day or two and teach you how to catch some of those nasty yellowtail off of Punta Conception. And then we plan on heading up to Caleta San Lucas until the first of the year. So if I miss you at Santispac, you have a standing invitation at San Lucas Cove, you just gotta get up there.
:yes:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.