Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road trip
BoenBaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2024 at 07:13 AM
Road trip

Left Margaritaville Monday AM pulling our 29’ fifth wheel with my ‘05 GMC duramax diesel. Spent the first night parking for free at Peggy Sue’s 1950’s Diner in Yermo CA (Harvest Hosts.) Tuesday after a wonderful breakfast (shout out to Peggy Sue’s great breakfasts, try “The Blob”) drove to Fenders RV Resort in Needles CA where we’ll spend 2 nights camping right on the Colorado River (Passport America $38.50 for both nights!) Tomorrow we’ll leave for the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel and RV Park for 2 nights. We’ll be taking the train into the Grand Canyon while our 8 pound poodle “Coronita” enjoys her day with fellow canines in the kennel. After that, ¿quien sabe? The only firm plans from there are to spend 4 nights in Mena AR to see the total solar eclipse and then to Knoxville to visit our son and granddaughters. I gotta say I love my Jimmy 3500 pickup, that diesel so far has averaged 18.1 mpg. Of course I drive 55 mph and I have a bug/wind deflector mounted on my truck. More to come!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-27-2024 at 08:43 AM

It's not fair! You are rolling down the highway with all that hardware and getting better MPG than my dog and I do in my Trooper!

My neighbors down the street have a Duramax of about the same vintage with a heavy cabover camper on it. They love their 4x4 rig, but it has left them stranded a couple of times with injector issues.

The last time it happened they had just been ordered to evacuate the campground they were at in northern CA ahead of a forest fire. They had to leave the camper behind because it was more than the tow truck could handle.

Everything worked out well, but it was stressful for them.

[Edited on 3-27-2024 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2024 at 11:48 AM

That is impressive MPG. It never fails to amaze me how a slower speed saves so much fuel. Physics!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2024 at 12:30 PM

I have to say that is very good fuel economy. Sounds like a fun trip
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2024 at 12:36 PM

I've thought of making a bumper sticker that has a diagram of how many meters are required to come to a stop when travelling at 80km/hr. with the wording "Llegando 10 minutos mas temprano no valé su vida ni la de mio. Reduzca la velocidad y no maneja pegado al vehículo de delante."
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-29-2024 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
It never fails to amaze me how a slower speed saves so much fuel. Physics!

For sure. But people are in a hurry for some reason. I remember back during the oil crisis (55 mph speed limit) when traveling seemed more relaxing. Wish we'd kept it up.

Reminds me of a scenario I saw in La Paz. There was a near miss at a major intersection, honking horns, traffic stopped for a couple of minutes while one of the affected parties got out of her car and marched over to the offending driver, walked up to his window and glared him in the face, hands on her hips.

The observers held our breath, waiting for the stream of invective to pour out. She drew a breath and slowly enounced: "Tienes mucha prisa, ¿verdad, hijo?"

And with that scathing insult proffered, she turned heel back to her car and drove off.

Try driving at 55mph in a Porsche. Either over revs or lugging.

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-30-2024 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Try driving at 55mph in a Porsche. Either over revs or lugging.

Lame excuse of the week:

"Yeah, officer, I knew I was driving 20 over, but my car is geared wrong to go the speed limit!" :lol:

Exactly ;);):cool:

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.