BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How's The Mexicali East Border Crossing?
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 08:20 AM
How's The Mexicali East Border Crossing?

Any recent updates on Mexicali East? We haven't crossed there since January, and heard there has been some construction causing some changes in the border crossing. I'm not talking about the construction on the route a few miles South, but the actual border crossing itself. Is the Sentri lane still the same going Northbound? Thanks!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 09:20 AM

East crossing - Southbound it is business as usual. The construction just north of the gates is complete. Use the city route to avoid teh construction way south.

East crossing - Northbound has construction has been revised the traffic pattern. The entry to the entry to the border has both Sentri and all other traffic coming from the west resulting traffic confusion. Not possible to use an Eastbound approach as the cops will direct you to the west crossing. To do that they have barriers to prevent U turns. Not a wise way to go IMO.

Options
Algodones is under construction on the Mexican side and I expect a new route is in the cards. No new reports. From the construction progress 2 weeks ago it looks like a change in near. Southbound for sure. Northbound is a question? Intermittent reports for long delays, both directions.

San Luis no new routes or directions reported. Folks using both north and southbound have no issues.

And yes the construction south on Hwy 2 we all have used in the past is a long term effort with many streets in the area all torn up. Study the maps and find Novina as a possible bypass route.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 09:34 AM

Can you explain 'south on Hwy 2' construction... where is this? Do you mean Hwy 5?
Thanks Paul!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 10:13 AM

Or you could just use the west crossing. Using Sentri you almost drive straight into it going up 5 and, no construction issues to get by/around.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Can you explain 'south on Hwy 2' construction... where is this? Do you mean Hwy 5?
Thanks Paul!

Hwy2
Shown is the construction area where someone said they are build a bridge.
On the picture at the bottom left leads to Hwy 5 and the first signal.
Also shown is a workaround the construction area for someone that still wants to go north from the Hwy5 first signal Using Novena. Any first timers reading this? Not me.

Construction.jpg - 70kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 12:56 PM

Ah, south from Hwy 2, the map is great.
Thanks.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 01:01 PM

I went through there southbound April 12 around 2pm. Aside from a huge line backed up to get to the border (which I bypassed because I was on a motorcycle ) I didnt have any construction delays getting to hwy5. I wish I could tell you the route but I mostly just followed signs for San Felipe and the map on my phone. I guess that’s not too helpful except to say don’t worry or over think it. Hopefully I’ll never cross going north again.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2024 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
East crossing - Northbound has construction has been revised the traffic pattern. The entry to the entry to the border has both Sentri and all other traffic coming from the west resulting traffic confusion. Not possible to use an Eastbound approach as the cops will direct you to the west crossing. To do that they have barriers to prevent U turns. Not a wise way to go IMO.

They have always made you approach from the West if it was busy, but are you saying that even during slow times the cops won't let you approach from the East and make the right turn into Sentri?

Do they still have Sentri in the right turning lane making the cars cross paths as the outer turn lane turns into Sentri and the inner lane goes to Ready?

Thanks!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2024 at 09:13 AM

Don't know the time life of the barricades.
No right turns into any lanes at border due to police control.
No reports for slow time controls.
Sentri is a left turn from the west into the left lane. It has always the left lane.
Southbound traffic still has cross path traffic for folks wanting to go east
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2024 at 06:43 PM
Mexicali East

We crossed towing a boat north bound Monday the 8th at 6:00 pm. Used Mex 5 north to the fence(more or less). Right turn on Ave. Rep. de Argentina to the crossing. When turning left to enter the lanes there is only Sentri and Ready signed.
For standard lane, use the Ready lane and it will funnel you into the standard lane before the prescreen officals.

Ps. We drove right to the booth and through with no real inspection, no vehicles in the standard lane.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2024 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Don't know the time life of the barricades.
No right turns into any lanes at border due to police control.
No reports for slow time controls.
Sentri is a left turn from the west into the left lane. It has always the left lane.
Southbound traffic still has cross path traffic for folks wanting to go east

While I appreciate your brevity, it does make it hard to understand sometimes.

Excuse my crude drawing, but this is the how the traffic pattern has been during the many times I've crossed when it was busy enough that they weren't allowing right turns directly into Sentri/Ready from the East.

The #1 lane was the longer line and the cars there would go past the Sentri entrance and turn left into Ready/Regular. The #2 lane was a shorter line and the cars would cross paths with the #1 lane and enter the Sentri entrance.

Is this still how it is now that they changed it? Thanks.

Mex East.png - 9kB
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2024 at 06:21 AM

The only difference in the lane configuration is: regular traffic starts in the ready lane and then is divereted to its own lane. That was last week, who knows today. LOL

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.