BajaNomad

My new restaurant

JESSE - 4-30-2005 at 03:07 PM

Hey everybody, it seems that after planning this for a few years, my project of opening a nouveau Mexican restaurant is now a real posibility. I have
been very secretive about this project because i wanted to have everything in order, but it seems that it might become a posibility this year if everything goes right. I am open to any ideas you might have, as i am considering everything from the name to the color of the place and the decor. I have two options right now, one is to build a small but new place, or the other is to take over the Hacienda Cien A?os restaurant wich is located right next to Saverios in Rio Tijuana, they are in a little trouble right now and are willing to partner with us to start from scratch, the great thing about this last posibility is that as many of you know, the restaurants is huge and very beautiful.

Any help or suggestions will be very appreciated, and off course you will all be invited to the opening ( with a few well known exceptions):tumble:

I know many of you have been to a lot of great Mexican restaurants in your travels, so please contribute those little details that made those restaurants special. I will do my very best to incorporate the best of everything into this. I expect most of my clientele to be middle to upper class Mexican, and a small portion of americano people as well.

[Edited on 4-30-2005 by JESSE]

Tucker - 4-30-2005 at 03:25 PM

Congratulations and good luck Jesse!

Bruce R Leech - 4-30-2005 at 03:29 PM

good luck Jesse that is a big task you are taking on.

JESSE - 4-30-2005 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
good luck Jesse that is a big task you are taking on.

Gracias Bruce,

I have been involved a lot in restructuring troubled restaurants in tha past, because i used to work for a popular theme restaurant, but this is a whole different thing, i have the energy and the drive, just need a little sprinkle of luck.

bajalou - 4-30-2005 at 03:53 PM

I have absolutly no ideas for you but surly wish you well - a very tough thing these days - making a go of it in the resturant business - good luck Jessie.

:biggrin:

bajalera - 4-30-2005 at 04:10 PM

Good luck to you, Jesse--I hope things go well.

Lera

Buena Suerte Jesse

jrbaja - 4-30-2005 at 04:13 PM

If you decide to do something in a Titanic or Tropical Bamboo theme, I may be able to help with some ideas:light:

Bruce R Leech - 4-30-2005 at 04:19 PM

Jesse what style of Mexican food is your specialty?

Natalie Ann - 4-30-2005 at 04:26 PM

This sounds great, Jesse! Congratulations and good luck.

Me No - 4-30-2005 at 04:49 PM

Jesse, great to read you are following your passion. As you have probably noticed a great many restaurants in Mexico, that seemingly have everything to make a go of it, fail because of the lack of a motivated person such as yourself, and under funding. I would stear clear of a huge place to start. Go for a smaller more intimate place that has a low overhead. Payroll will kill you if you don't have the business right away. A smaller place will also help you utilize your Norte connections much more efficiently. In a nutshell, look for something with an ocean view, just off the toll road is great, the easier the access the better. You need to have a unique menu that is VERY reasonably price, this will test you and your staffs creativity skill to the max. Finally, be prepared to work 24/7. Best of luck. Sincerely

comitan - 4-30-2005 at 05:39 PM

One suggestion the waiters serve everyone at the same time!!!!!!!! All the luck in the world and hurry up so we'll have a good place to eat in Tijuana, when we pass through.

What do I look for....

yankeeirishman - 4-30-2005 at 05:52 PM

Parking.
Streamlined menu.
Decent service.
Room temperature not at Artic conditions.
A whole bunch of homemade dessert selections.
And free meal tickets from you!

Good luck to you ol' boy with the new adventure.

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by yankeeirishman]

Jesse

Baja Bernie - 4-30-2005 at 06:11 PM

You certainly have the energy, drive, and the smarts to pull this off.

My suggestion: Put Natalie Ann's signature eirther on you menu's or on the entrance--in Spanish of course.

The luck you will receive from your many friends.

Oso - 4-30-2005 at 06:12 PM

I'm open to this and would seriously consider dropping by, My only suggestions are to serve good solid food at a reasonable price and not copy Taco Bell. No shredded lettuce, don't fill half the plate with refried beans and if possible, don't freeze plates ahead of time, microwave them and have the waiters serve the platters wearing oven mitts, saying " Be careful, de plate ees hot"

Con todo seriedad, Chucho. le deseo exito y cuando este sea realidad, ahi voy para dejar unos billetes.

:tumble:

Dave - 4-30-2005 at 06:31 PM

The damn restaurant owner's curse:

Once it gets in your blood it's impossible to be happy doing anything else. Start banking those extra hours of sleep because you'll need them later.

Hard work will make all the luck you will need.

Save us a good table.;)

aldosalato - 4-30-2005 at 06:48 PM

Good luck!

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by aldosalato]

Buena suerte Jesse!!!!

Ken Bondy - 4-30-2005 at 07:22 PM

Jesse

academicanarchist - 4-30-2005 at 08:05 PM

Jesse, good luck with your new venture.

woody with a view - 4-30-2005 at 08:09 PM

sCRAP the old name, JESSE. i'll let you in on a fact. 50% of your clientele will be surfers passing by on the "cuota". get a good billboard and hopefully your spread is close to the exit! either way, you seem like a good man, at least as far as i can see from punta loma:saint:
we nomads are always looking for a place to grind, away from the "ptomaine domain". good luck with your dream amigo! bernie don't know squat bro, and neither do eye!!!!....

give a nomad a 20% discount and i think you might draw some northbound traffic on those heinous summer days.

suerte grande por un amigo!!!:)

[Edited on 5-1-2005 by woody in ob]

gringorio - 4-30-2005 at 08:31 PM

Good luck Jesse...

Mexican food is the best! I think you should name your restaurant 'Jamoncita's' after my dog Ham, who was born in Baja - In Bahia de los Angeles. She loves food. Especially Mexican food with lots of cheese and authentic guacamole (I?m not kidding!). You can just see her thinking: Is that guac and chips coming to my table?

I wish you the best of success.

gringorio

Tommy A - 5-1-2005 at 03:15 AM

Good Luck Jesse, but be careful if you decided to go in with a partner on this. Have everything spelled out, remember the devil is in the details.

yankeeirishman - 5-1-2005 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Any help or suggestions will be very appreciated,

NO TELEVISION!!!

Carefully-selected low-key background music.

An honest-to-god no-smoking section which doesn't share the same air with the smoking section.

Did I say no television?

--Larry

Oh yes! NO TELEVISION!!! I second that motion!

Don Jorge - 5-1-2005 at 08:58 AM

Tongue in cheek, :lol: a real non smoking section but no off topic section. Real black beans but no baja blackie beans.

TMW - 5-1-2005 at 09:43 AM

Good luck Jesse.

I'm not as picky on food as much as I am on service. Great food is always a blessing but if the service is poor you'll only see me every 5 to 10 years. Another thing I've noticed mostly in Mexican restaurants is they are very slow in coming with the check. It may be a Mexican custom but this gringo likes it soon after I'm finished.

Bruce R Leech - 5-1-2005 at 09:51 AM

In Mexico you are supposed to ask for the check. It is considered very rude to present the check at the end of the meal. don't try and change Mexico into Bakersfield just study the costumes and enjoy them.

Braulio - 5-1-2005 at 10:19 AM

I might have a couple of opinions later on - but the successful places I know in TJ have the following in common:

1) They cater to a mostly Mexican working, non-narco, upper-middle class clientel - but welcome all.

2) Owner involvement up the wazoo.

3) KISS.

Some examples of this would be the Nelson Bar on 1st on Rebo, and La Fogata and the S?tano Su?zo in the R?o Zone.

Probably before your time there was a place called the "Bol Corona" next door to the Hard Rock on Rebo - it was originally a bowling alley - probably way way before your time. They were successful as a restaurant until their success kind of consumed them - they got too big - finally it was burned down.

The newer Bol Corona on Ocampo is better - but it's smaller/friendlier/ a little more intimate. I think that'd be more the direction I'd go.

BTW - You mentioned theme based stuff - do you know a guy named Carlos Maldonado - he was the owner of People's and Las Cuevas and borrowed the "Bol Corona" name for a place in the R?o Zone. He kind of came out of nowhere in the TJ nightclub/restaurant scene about 10-12 years ago. Is he still still wheeling and dealing? I had a chance to do business with him - still kind of kicking myself (sometimes).

Good Luck man.

Bruce R Leech - 5-1-2005 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
I might have a couple of opinions later on - but the successful places I know in TJ have the following in common:

1) They cater to a mostly Mexican working, non-narco, upper-middle class clientel - but welcome all.

3) KISS.

Some examples of this would be the Nelson Bar on 1st on Rebo, and La Fogata and the S?tano Su?zo in the R?o Zone.

Probably before your time there was a place called the "Bol Corona" next door to the Hard Rock on Rebo - it was originally a bowling alley - probably way way before your time. They were successful as a restaurant until their success kind of consumed them - they got too big - finally it was burned down.

The newer Bol Corona on Ocampo is better - but it's smaller/friendlier/ a little more intimate. I think that'd be more the direction I'd go.

BTW - You mentioned theme based stuff - do you know a guy named Carlos Maldonado - he was the owner of People's and Las Cuevas and borrowed the "Bol Corona" name for a place in the R?o Zone. He kind of came out of nowhere in the TJ nightclub/restaurant scene about 10-12 years ago. Is he still still wheeling and dealing? I had a chance to do business with him - still kind of kicking myself (sometimes).

Good Luck man.

you are so correct I might add only one thing.

4 Owner Investment up the kazoo.

JESSE - 5-1-2005 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
If you decide to do something in a Titanic or Tropical Bamboo theme, I may be able to help with some ideas:light:

Thanks Jr,

I will keep you in mind if anything Bamboo is needed around here;)

JESSE - 5-1-2005 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio

3) KISS.

Good Luck man.

Gracias for the advice Braulio,

I did get the chance to eat at the ol Bol Corona, my dad used to take me there for lunch all the time, they had the best beef fajitas ever! i have never visited the new place, the old one had so much history and so much caracter that i can?t even imagine the new one coming close to the old. Funny thing is, once the old one burned to the ground, the new Hard Rock Cafe settled in that location, and i spent 4 years working for them at that very same place, so i am very familiar with every single square inch of that place.

I don?t know Carlos personally, but i have heard of him and off course i am familiar with Peoples and Caves, pretty chesseball places IMHO but hey, the guy has to make a living and someone has to sell cheap booze to the cheap skates.

JESSE - 5-1-2005 at 12:15 PM

Thanks to all for the karma and the advice, so far the Hacienda question is going to be settled on Monday, i have a meeting with them and by the looks of things, they arent doing so well, the owner was partnered with the guy who owns the old Cien a?os restaurant, but as it turns out, he found out the guy was stealing from him, so what does the Cien a?os guys do? he leaves and takes the Cien a?os name with him, so the restaurant is now called "Hacienda". If i do go in into that place, i have to do a complete Uturn on everything, the food is mediocre, the service is not good, and the place needs some ambiance. good things are that the location is awesome, and the facilities are also excelent, if i improve the kitchen and the service, redecorate a bit, maybe consider changing the name and perhaps the concept, and we might be into something special, plus, i think the catering and special events area has a lot of potential as well.

Thanks to all again, and i will keep you posted on the news.

Vouchers

yankeeirishman - 5-1-2005 at 01:47 PM

Call me when you get them free vouchers for dinner 555.5673 :lol:

Suggestions

turtleandtoad - 5-1-2005 at 02:44 PM

As a former Cannery Row (Monterey Calif) Bar/Restaurant owner who sold the same place 3 times before it stuck (I had to take the place back and rebuild the business twice). I'd like to make a few recommendations (in no particular order, except #1 is critical).

1) Make sure you have enough capital to live on AND operate the place for a full year without making a profit. This over and above the costs of renovations. (two of my buyers went broke in 6 months or less). If you can't do this then wait until you can!

2) Change the name of the place. (You want to get a fresh start, and not be related to any bad vibes from the previous name).

3) Don't rely too much on gimmicks or "hooks", they get old fast. Establish a solid reputation for good food and reasonable prices. (unless you're looking for the tourist trade)

4) Develop your own menu items. For a good chef, a recipe is just a starting point. But once you develop a recipe and start serving it, don't play with it. Be consistant. And try it out on your friends before adding it to the menu.

5) Keep the menu short. Better to have a few excellent items than a book of mediocre ones.

6) Treat your staff with respect and pay them well (and on time). Word of mouth is the most powerful advertisement there is, and a bunch of peeed off employee's can sink a place. Same goes with your vendors, make sure they get paid on time, you can't cook if you don't have the ingredients.

7) Keep regular hours, nothing pee's off a customer more than to find the door locked an hour after the posted opening time or before the closing time.

8) Hire only the best of everything, even the janitors. If you're going to spend time in the kitchen and not going to be the front man, then hire a good one (or two).

9) Keep the place spotlessly clean

10) Advertise, If you're location isn't the greatest then Advertise, Advertise, Advertise.

11) Make sure that the chairs/booths are comfortable and are at the correct height for the tables. (I HATE caneback chairs)

12) Never, Never, Never extend credit!!!!

You sound like you've had some experience in the business so a lot of this is probably not new to you but I developed this list for novices and just edited it a little for the Baja.

Lots of luck

Braulio - 5-1-2005 at 03:30 PM

5) Let 'em have the Cien A?os name - drop the ~. Go with Cien Anos and solicite the gay chilango demographic of TJ - L that's about 25% of the population and you'd have no competition.

(No - I'm not anti-gay/chilango or anything else - just trying to help Jesse find a niche here.)

Oso - 5-1-2005 at 04:28 PM

As far as the "before your time" angle...

I have many fond (youthful) memories of the old "Blue Fox", known far and wide for "Fine Mexican Cuisine". :lol:

But, that's probably not what Jesse has in mind...:rolleyes:

lizard lips - 5-1-2005 at 04:50 PM

Jesse, GOOD LUCK on your new venture! I will definetly come and bring the family.

Oso, was'nt donkey on the menu at the Blue Fox or am I thinking of another fine establishment?

:O

thebajarunner - 5-1-2005 at 06:18 PM

Very good advice from a lot of you.
The most important thing that I can add.....
Be absolutely dialed in before you open, open 'soft' with no fanfare, do it right from day one.
That goes for good service, good food, and a quality experience from the get go.
The worst thing you can do is open with a "let's practice a while" attitude, you will be toast in a hurry.
Here at home the locals love to swarm a new restaurant, but if the food is cold and the service is slow, they never, never, never come back.
Better to have a slow week or two to get things situated before you start promoting and advertising.
Oh yeah, hope you caught a common theme above...freebies and discounts... hope you go the opposite direction.
Never, ever comp. your friends or family.
You are in this as a business, not a family and friends charity.
Bet Antonio does not give away free gas to his friends and family!!!!
(and I am breaking my own rule, giving free advice when I am still in the consulting biz)
Buen suerte,
Will look you up next trip South.

Baja Arriba!!

Oso - 5-1-2005 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Oso, was'nt donkey on the menu at the Blue Fox or am I thinking of another fine establishment?
:O

Maybe, but it wasn't anything I ate. I was strictly into seafood...:lol:

Consider what works in the area

Gypsy Jan - 5-1-2005 at 08:55 PM

Hacienda Cien Anos is pretty much in the same parking lot as Saverios and La Espadana.

I haven't been to Saverios, but I am told that it is high end Italian for dinner. La Espadana is very busy all the time for breakfast and lunch and offers Mexican and American style high end coffee shop (not a diss) food. You can get tamales, menudo, huevos rancheros and ham and eggs, all beautifully presented in an gorgeous mission style setting with an incredible take out counter filled with desserts.

Since there is no worry about customer flow in the area, I think the question is, "How do you stand out in this configuration?"

Buena suerte, and get ready to not sleep very much for a great while!

David K - 5-2-2005 at 08:05 AM

Good luck on your place Jesse... I will look forward to eating there! Maybe we should have a Baja Nomad day there? Nomads can come to Tijuana for the day, meet, talk, eat, drink...!!! Help get your place off and running!

wilderone - 5-2-2005 at 09:08 AM

For decor, check out the art available at the Perez-Meillon gallery in Ensenada (in the artesenos square). A great fish taco plate would be good. Good Luck, Jesse.

Bruce R Leech - 5-2-2005 at 09:16 AM

when anyone asks me for a discount I always give the same that I git from them in there business. that way I usually don't need to give anything.

perks and benefits

Sharksbaja - 5-2-2005 at 11:39 AM

"Oh yeah, hope you caught a common theme above...freebies and discounts... hope you go the opposite direction."

I concur, but I DO feed my family.....a perk, but I also let the staff have their choice of one meal, minus the Dungeness Crab. After a while most employees only eat a couple times a week, if that.
One week paid holiday each year of full time employment. No health benefits. Training and help obtaining health permits, alcohol server training etc. Tip sharing which amounts to a good portion of earnings. An occasional gift like a turkey for a holiday.

If you have partners you should comp no one. Account for everything and have your accountant(if you have one) depreciate your equip. etc. if that could be done.

JESSE - 5-2-2005 at 07:20 PM

Gracias to everybody for some excelent advice, i had a meeting with the owner of Hacienda today and the situation is as follows:

1.-The current concept of high end nouveau Mexican food is not working, mainly because the chef is not as good as i wish he was. That has made me realize that in order to make it with the same concept, i need a Chef as good or better than the one Cien a?os or la Querencia has. In my opinion, it doesnt matter if i have the best service, the best cost controls, and the best location, if the food is not as good as the competition, why will people spend their money with me? so.

2.-That means that i absolutely need a great chef, problem is, finding a great high end Mexican chef is very hard and i don?t have any guarantees that if i find him, he wont leave me for a better offer in a couple of years.

3.-In my opinion, i need to change the concept in order to give the place a fresh start, finding an excelent chef shouldnt be so much trouble as getting a noveau Mexican one, so thats a +. I can prepare a re-opening, atract all of those people that where dissapointed with the place before, and i can start from scratch.

Problems:

Like Gypsy Jan said, i have Saverios next door, they say they serve Italian, but their menu is mediterranean-california, i need something versatile, popular, and at the same time, something that wont feel like i am copying Saverios.

Suggestions?

(Anything but French)

Dave - 5-2-2005 at 07:45 PM

Find a "consulting" chef to plan a menu and train kitchen staff.

Cheap, Ice cold buckets of Pacifico Cerveza...

Mexray - 5-2-2005 at 07:50 PM

...would be a BIG draw.:spingrin:

The best to you on your new venture - sounds like lots of work, but can be rewarding when things settle down.

My only hesitation is with trying to make success of a restaurant in the same location of a 'failed' one. Up here, at any rate, when ever this happens, the new place just never makes it. There are exceptions, I'm sure, like when the entire building is re-designed to look nothing like it's predecessor, so there is no 'stigma' of the old place remaining.

New name, new paint, move some windows, doors, walls, etc.

Then most important...great food - 'If You Cook It - They Will Come'. (and cheap beer!)

Again, the best in your new venture!

[Edited on 5-3-2005 by Mexray]

Re: My New Restaurant

HungryHiker - 5-3-2005 at 05:29 AM

Hi Jesse,

Great chef I would say is #1 requirement; beautiful decor, good prices, good marketing and constant attention to detail to provide a consistent dining experience are also essential. Remember Cilantros years ago? Fantastic place, lost to obscurity; as was the more recent Cyrus Persian restaurant located across the street from Saverios, which was fabulous, beautiful, and lasted less than a year (no marketing knowledge on part of owner?)

Hacienda Cien Anos (now known as La Hacienda de Tijuana) I think is too big, but maybe the rent is cheap enough that it doesn't matter.

I think what Tijuana need are high end:
Middle Eastern
Vegetarian
Vietnmese restaurants
I don't know what you have against French, but I believe there is plenty of room for an in town French restaurant.

Whatever you do, please post when the restaurant is open, I will definitely check it out.

And, speaking of restaurants, there is a free introduction to 8 Tijuana restaurants May 19th in Tijuana at La Candelaria (next to La Diferencia) - Last year's event was very fun and gives you a chance to taste several dishes from each restaurant. Details: http:///hungryhiker-tj.com

comitan - 5-3-2005 at 06:39 AM

Jesse

Now that you have had all of this exellent input you had better do a serious Plus-Minus list before you get fully commited.

Bruce R Leech - 5-3-2005 at 07:32 AM

finding the chef is only half of the problem , for me that was easy I was the Exec. chef putting together the team is the harder part. you need to have all parts of your team on contracts in Mexico or you will go crazy.

Dave - 5-3-2005 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
when anyone asks me for a discount I always give the same that I git from them in there business. that way I usually don't need to give anything.

I only give discounts to the police. I figure since they are already on the payroll, they should get one.;D

BajaNomad - 5-3-2005 at 07:46 AM

The hungry hiker link is:

http://hungryhiker-tj.com

That's the premiere English-language site for Tijuana restaurant info/reviews. Good stuff.

good point Mexray

Sharksbaja - 5-3-2005 at 02:07 PM

he said:
"My only hesitation is with trying to make success of a restaurant in the same location of a 'failed' one. Up here, at any rate, when ever this happens, the new place just never makes it. There are exceptions, I'm sure, like when the entire building is re-designed to look nothing like it's predecessor, so there is no 'stigma' of the old place remaining."

New name, new paint, move some windows, doors, walls, etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Med is out! Too many of these in SO CAL

I think you've got the right idea. Clients will lose that stigma if you don't repeat the same venue. The same holds true for bad service. If the new restaurant has the same staff, then the customer feels it really hasn't changed completely. Your formula for sucess depends on your ability to get AND keep the person coming back over and over(and their friends).
These days you have to very clever to compete in such a huge market. On one hand you need quality and service but you can't make money if your meal tickets are too low. On the other hand, if you charge to much for more of the same, they will go next door. You must provide SOMETHING the other guys close by don't have. Be a snob, when choosing menu items. People are looking for alternative(more exotic) food items and will pay more for that. So, even if Salmon and Sturgeon cost me the same wholesale, I would alwys sell the sturgeon faster. So I focus on serving extreme meals. Big, bold and plentiful. Unlike any I know.Because it really is amazing how restaurants copy each other. If you do this , do it in a different neighborhood. Most cook/chefs have already been programmed how to cook. We train ours from scratch. It is very important to deliver consistant food. Customers get hooked on certain dishes offered and it's gotta be the same the next time he/she/they walk in, or else!

Then most important...great food. Great service /hospitality. Of course your location dictates a large percent of biz. It is harder to please people in bigger restaurants as the personalized attention gets watered down.

When I'm down south

jrbaja - 5-3-2005 at 02:17 PM

I am a regular customer at the same restaurants for two reasons. #1. The food is always good and a lot of it.
#2. I can afford them