BajaNomad

Handheld Marine VHF

MrBillM - 8-16-2005 at 08:38 PM

Awhile back, I bought a pair of FRS handhelds to use when I needed close communication with the spouse. Unhappy with the quality of trans/rcv and range, I considered buying a more expensive set, but then I decided to simply buy a couple of Marine VHF handhelds for the same purpose. Better Quality and Longer Range.

I received a flyer this month from West Marine including a Pair of Cobra two-watt handhelds complete for $79.99. Received the same ayer, charged the Batts and took them down to Home Depot to test out. Great volume, quality and reception. Beats Heck out of the FRS band units. They come complete with (2) AC chargers, NiCad AAA batt packs (can also use Alkaline), two plastic pouches (they aren't rated waterproof).

Super Deal. Cobra Model HH200.

www.westmarine.com

Odd. Gif didn't load. OK. There it is.

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by MrBillM]

JZ - 8-16-2005 at 08:51 PM

It is against the law to use VHF's for off water purposes, and extremely poor conduct. Maybe you'll get away with in Mexico, but no way in the US. Yes, I realize many may do it in MX, but that still doesn't change the facts of proper usage.

Channel 16 is for emergency use.

Bruce R Leech - 8-16-2005 at 08:53 PM

cool deal thanks for the info MrBillM

Mike Humfreville - 8-16-2005 at 08:58 PM

We bought 12 mile range FRS's. From our house near the south end of the Bay at Bahia de Los Angeles I can copy La Gringa, but it's not 100%. Price was $69.00 at Best Buy.

roundtuit - 8-16-2005 at 09:04 PM

Guess JZ must live in US and never been to the Sea Of Cortez

There's always ONE in every crowd

MrBillM - 8-16-2005 at 09:28 PM

Of course, they're illegal. I had enough respect for the people here to not bother mentioning that.
As far as "poor" conduct, Oh Well. Just like Rectums, everybody's got an opinion.

Getting Caught ? Anyone who did would have to be dumber than even I could imagine. Today, I was at Home Depot in Palm Desert using Canal 72 (ship to ship). The likelihood of being DF'ed by the FCC was just about Zero. The same would be true anywhere else. You're not going to hold long conversations. Back when my sailboat was in San Diego Bay, I had VHF radios in both of my trucks. Of course, we used phony boat names and ID's, just in case.

Back when I belonged to the Coast Guard Auxiliary, we all used our handhelds in that way, including the Coast Guard officers we worked with. We simply didn't abuse it.

Anyway, the purpose of this post was not to start a discussion on morality, but simply to pass on info on what I think is a great deal. At $40 each, they will outperform the high-end FRS units for less money.

roundtuit - 8-16-2005 at 09:39 PM

Thanks MrBillM Have an undien but need another, why not two. We all use but never abuse. Go to another channel please. 16 is only a monitor channel, better then cb for range and emergencies

JZ - 8-16-2005 at 09:53 PM

Try posting that on a real boating site and you'll see extreme anger from about 10K people. If you did use it more than passingly in the US they would find you.

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by JZ]

JZ - 8-16-2005 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roundtuit
Guess JZ must live in US and never been to the Sea Of Cortez

Have a house and boat on the SOC. 5 trips of over 500 miles each down the coast of Baja and mainland MX. And you...

capt. mike - 8-17-2005 at 05:05 AM

GMRSs work better than FRSs.

Everybody at the trailer parks in mulege uses VHF as their local chat net. nobody gripes and they stay off the emergency freqs as far as i can tell.
plus many monitor the boat freqs to see what the action is or if anyone needs help. glad the FCC is not patrolling the SOC.

capn.sharky - 8-17-2005 at 09:52 AM

I am glad the FCC or any other U.S. Gov't agency is monitoring the SOC. That is why we go there....to get freedom and away from U.S. Gov't intervention into our lives.

Added Advantage

MrBillM - 8-17-2005 at 10:06 AM

The added advantage of using VHF handhelds in Baja over the FRS is that you are on the same network that the local residents are using in the event you need to communicate for emergency purposes.

Mike, that 12 mile range is impressive for an FRS. I have taken my Uniden Atlantis 5-watts into San Felipe and have been able to communicate with my base unit in Percebu, roughly 20 miles. Once past the South end of town (around the AM-PM) reception is still OK, but transmission is patchy. Since there is no longer a clear line of sight, I'm unsure whether they would work farther over open desert or ocean.

bajalou - 8-17-2005 at 10:07 AM

Just to be picky, I assume when you say "VHS" you are refering to the Marine channels using Very High Frequency rather than the many other commercial and ham frequencies in that catagory (VHS).

I personaly prefer a ham 2 meter set modified to transmit on these frequencies. You can monitor other than just Marine Bands - race teams etc. and in a emergency you have more watts of transmit power.

Yes, yes - not legal to transmit on frequenct not approved for that radio. In emergency - any transmission can save a life or limb.

:O

Picky

MrBillM - 8-17-2005 at 10:39 AM

You're Right. That is pretty picky. The entire thread has been a discussion of Marine VHF as opposed to FRS. My sincere and humble apologies for failing to include the word "Marine" in a subsequent post. I can only be thankful for your perception and swear to learn from the experience.

Two-Meter is fine and superior to "MARINE" VHF, but the problem there is that everybody you want to communicate with must have one. At one time in our area, it was the preferred mode for communications between Camp and town. Over a period of a couple of years I brought down four 2-meter mobiles purchased in the U.S. for the camp owner and his sons. At a sale price of $300 for the unit itself plus antenna, etc, they are a little steep.

Now that Cel Phones are so common and cheap in the San Felipe area, they no longer use their 2-meters.

bajalou - 8-17-2005 at 11:14 AM

I've been getting 2 meter sets for about the same price as marine. and modify them to work on the same marine channels Some of the older 2 meter can't be modified though. Even here a few miles north of San Felipe where most people have telephones, the marine channels are still used quite a bit among neighbors.

:biggrin:

wornout - 8-17-2005 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
... Even here a few miles north of San Felipe where most people have telephones, the marine channels are still used quite a bit among neighbors.

Yes they are, everyday................

vandenberg - 8-17-2005 at 12:57 PM

MrBillM

Just went to west marine's web site and according to them ,they do not have any such item. Cobra model HH200, correct ??
Maybe you're a special customer:?::?:

comitan - 8-17-2005 at 01:01 PM

In La Paz the VHF Marine radios are used everyday amoung the Yachties and the local homeowners. A few years back there was a crackdown on the use of portable radios especially in Cabo but not heard of anything lately.

bajajudy - 8-17-2005 at 01:16 PM

When we first built down here, no one had phones. VHF's were our only means of communicating.
I still depend on ours when the sh*t hits the fan. If I stand on our second floor with my handheld(if we still have power our antena for our base also picks it up), I can get the Port Captain in San Lucas and when he closes the port I know to battan down the hatches. They give pretty good reports on hurricane locations too but all in Spanish, of course.

Diver - 8-17-2005 at 01:55 PM

Van,

I just checked the web site and called; they do have them.
I bought two new 5w models instead for $99 each.

Cobra HH200

MrBillM - 8-17-2005 at 02:21 PM

I just went to the West Marine website and used the keyword search with "Cobra HH200" and it came up. The link is:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductD...

As for the five watts at $99.00, that's fine. The whole point with these units is cost vs benefit. I, too, have a couple of 5 watt, but in my case, they're the Uniden Atlantis. Good units, but BIG and heavy compared with what's available now.

That Reminds me .................

MrBillM - 8-17-2005 at 02:34 PM

of a story (of course). A few years back we were sailing our boat on San Diego Bay and there were people conversing on Canal 16 in Spanish. No big deal, but some old Geezer gets on the radio and says "Speak English on the Radio, this is the USA". I couldn't believe that somebody was SO dumb not to realize that, given the range, those others could well have been in MEXICO.

That was even dumber than the Old Guy in the Grand Banks Trawler that I heard call the Coast Guard on Canal 22 to say he wanted to report a "sailboat" that had just run into him. He said that the boat had sailed off, but he got his CF numbers and wanted to file a report. The CG came back after a noticeable interval (to allow them to stop laughing, I guess) and said "are you sure you want to file a report" ? He was adamant so they gave him directions to the station. That would have been worth seeing.

Lou ? Are you buying NEW 2-meters for the price of Marine VHF Handhelds ? Under $150.00 ? Where ?

I wasn't in any way trying to say that there is anything wrong with the 2-meters other than cost / benefit nowadays, but since the new repeaters went in at Punta Radar you can get perfect Cel reception and the price per minute for local mexican calls is so low that we all use the phones instead. Prior to those repeaters going in, you need at least a 6db Yagi to get dependable reception. Whatever works best for each individual .

bajajudy - 8-17-2005 at 02:41 PM

Do the words "right of way" come to mind MBM?

Yes, They DO, Judy

MrBillM - 8-17-2005 at 02:51 PM

And under ALL of those rules (International, U.S. and Inland Water rules), A boat under POWER must give way to a boat under sail. In the event of a collision, the Power Boat is assumed at fault barring any evidence of negligent behavior. If there is any doubt in your mind, I'll be happy to quote Verbatim from one of my pertinent manuals.

I spent five years in the U.S.C.G. Auxiliary, the last three of those teaching in Auxiliary Safe Boating and Basic Navigation Classes.
Prior to and since I spent a lot of years on the water and I am well aware of the rules.

BTW, "Right of Way" is a term that they avoid using, preferring for the most part "Give Way" and "Stand On" vessels.

vandenberg - 8-17-2005 at 02:52 PM

MrBillM

Got it.
Thanks for your trouble!!

bajajudy - 8-17-2005 at 03:13 PM

MBM
I also have spent some time on the water and that was exactly what I was talking about. Motor vessels are to give way to sailing vessels. So we are on the same page. Or in the same boat.
Fair winds and following seas!

bajalou - 8-17-2005 at 03:50 PM

MrBillM, most of the units I have - 3 handheld, 5 base. I got on Ebay. the base units IC2100H for around $125/135 used, one localy for $150 new. One handheld - new Icom V8, $169 new a couple years ago. the other two used at around $120 each. I have never had a problem with any of these radios. Here is a link (I think) to new radios offered on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICOM-IC-V8-VHF-Radio-Amateur-Police-Fire...

This is a discount dealer - one of several.

(I don't like having to move a unit from house to car to buggy, etc.)

:saint:

Diver - 8-17-2005 at 05:14 PM

Check out the Midland 5w NT1 at trendsandgatgets.com for Under $50 !
http://www.trendsandgadgets.com/product_info.php?cPath=271_2...

bajalou - 8-17-2005 at 05:31 PM

I'm afraid to - having 21 total 2 way radios of various types I don't need any more "great bargans". But thanks anyway.

Lou and Judy

MrBillM - 8-17-2005 at 07:08 PM

Bajalou - Thanks for the info.

Bajajudy- My apologies for "assuming" the wrong thing. I sent you a U2U.

bajalou - 8-17-2005 at 07:30 PM

MrBillM, Didn't get the u2u as of 730p 17th

MIDLAND NAUTICO 5 WATT

Barry A. - 8-17-2005 at 08:40 PM

I have two (2) of the Midland Nautico (NT-1) 5 watt handi talkies ($80 for 2 at Gary Owens "The Sportsman's Guide") good for 14 miles (claimed) and I have been really happy with them. There is never any conflicting traffic on the channels I work on.

Somebody else mentioned the Midland radios on this thread for even less than I paid.

We used Midland radios on the job for years and years----completely happy with the quality, and much less dinero than Motorola. These are great radios.

WENT BACK AND CHECKED "DIVERS" MESSAGE------

Barry A. - 8-17-2005 at 08:45 PM

and he was quoting the price for one (1) Midland Nautico radio. They are $40 a piece at "the Sportman's Guide", $80 for 2, so about the same price.

Dave - 8-17-2005 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
MBM
I also have spent some time on the water and that was exactly what I was talking about. Motor vessels are to give way to sailing vessels.

:lol::lol:

Tell that to a super tanker or a fishing vessel.

A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver has right-of-way.

I know of sailors who have lost boats/lives insisting they were stand-on.

Frank - 8-17-2005 at 11:23 PM

Gross tonnage rules......

bajajudy - 8-18-2005 at 06:40 AM

I know of sailors who have lost boats/lives insisting they were stand-on. Quoted from DAVE

Then they sure were stupid werent they. Those are the rules and like all rules, you have to apply them with some common sense added.

No tankers dont stop and let you go by, neither do freighters nor long liners, nor ......................

Right of Way

MrBillM - 8-18-2005 at 09:56 AM

Before we went down to the Caribbean on a Bareboat Charter for the first time, I rented a VHS video on Caribbean Chartering. In the segment that covered the Nav Rules, the speaker said that the most important rule to remember was:

"De Bigga Boat has de Right O Way".

I can't tell you how many times I've seen obstinate sailors cross close in front of fast moving power boats and ships. Pretty dumb.

Back when I was in the Coast Guard Aux, we had a video we presented during the Safe Boating Class that was an assortment of film clips showing the disastrous results of maintaining that Right of Way or misjudging the closing speed.

Then there's the story...

neilmac - 8-18-2005 at 12:39 PM

Of the supertanker approaching Yokohama... The skipper of the pilot boat notices a tangle of sails and yacht rigging hanging from the bow anchor.... radios the tanker capt. about the accident.

reply: What accident?

Neil

Big vs Little

MrBillM - 8-18-2005 at 01:24 PM

Beyond those who are just plain obstinate, frequently sailors get themselves in a dangerous position simply because they don't realize how large a "wind shadow" effect a large vessel can generate.

I was once sailing from Long Beach over to San Pedro inside the outer harbor under brisk conditions. A tanker crossed my course about a hundred yards UPWIND of me and the sails went completely slack. Not being cognizant of that effect has led to many disasters. I had noticed earlier that a lot of the sailboats in the area were going all the way out to the breakwater and then sailing close along it until they could make a direct line to their destination.

bajajudy - 8-18-2005 at 01:48 PM

While tooling around the harbor in our dinghy, I actually saw rigging in an anchor housing on a freighter in Gilbraltar many years ago. Oh the mast still had the radar reflector on it. We went to the harbor master to tell him and he laughed.

Get Real JZ

Hook - 8-18-2005 at 09:19 PM

I am coming in on this discussion a little late but I have to ask.....

Are you really saying that you never use your handheld VHF on land? If so, you are decidedly in a very small minority, even in the US.

Think of all the boaters with riders on land. At Avalon, in Alameda, in the San Juan Islands.

It's not like this is pirate radio for chrissakes.

Right of Way

Uglyhat - 9-6-2005 at 11:25 PM

to the previous pearls of wisdom determining standon/giveway status, I was taught "if it's gray and has guns it has the right of way". technically true or not, it echoes the sentiment of prudent navigation.

Hi ... 'new on this forum seeking SOC and other baja sailing info, but hadta chime in. More post/questions to come.

Ug

PS - regarding use of marine vhs on land, no I guess it's not legal, but I think a little common sense would avoid most all problems. I wouldn't use mine on land anywhere there was marine radio traffic, but if I'm off hunting antelope or cutting firewood in West Dakota, who's to complain?

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by Uglyhat]

I'm with Hook

Sharksbaja - 9-7-2005 at 10:43 AM

I have mixed feelings on the personal use of the vhf marine band. I carried one and monitored the Coast Guard frequencies while "on-call" for emergency recompressions.

If every weekend warrior in So. Cal hailed his buddies with chit-chat on VHF it's possible emergency workers etc. would not hear the call through the clutter.

On the other hand, being stuck in the middle of nowhere with an emergency would justify it's use in my opinion. Just as cell phones work with 911.

Ug..... where is West Dakota?

bajaden - 9-7-2005 at 11:18 AM

Hey Bruce, will you pick up a couple for me on your way back down. If you happen to be in the neighborhood of West Marine of course. Have a safe trip. I heard its supposed to snow in Colorado.

Uglyhat - 9-7-2005 at 10:25 PM

Pompano posted a pic of a nice corner of WD ... WD is south of the highline, north of I80, west of good summer tomatoes, and east of seafood. image google 'ft peck'

rpleger - 9-8-2005 at 10:15 AM

West Dakota is across from East DaKota.????

Uglyhat - 9-8-2005 at 01:36 PM

I apologize for dragging this thread way off topic; my intent with the term 'west dakota' was to offer a pithy characterization of an area where using vhf handhelds on land was quite unlikely to cause a problem.

I spent most of my life in Montana (before movie stars bought the place up). We used the term in a mildy pejorative manner in reference to about anything east of Billings. Others have called it the Big Empty. Here in Oregon they call this country the the American Outback. I know, it's a few states away, but the essence is the same: semi arid marginal farm and range land very sparsely populated. 'doesn't really matter what state it's in, as it's part of all western states.

Now back on topic - this 2 meter thing has me intrigued. I'm mostly a trailer-sailer, but I know blue water boats use 'ham' radios of some sort. Also, I think ham radio operators frequently have these 2 ways in their vehicles. I've heard one can get weather forecasts, etc. and even limited telephone links.

So ... any ham radio operators among the Baja sages out there? I'm wondering if this is an option to consider as we plan both terrestrial and nautical forays well off the beaten path.

2-Meter

MrBillM - 9-8-2005 at 02:13 PM

The 2-meter band is fine provided you've got someone to talk to. As I said before, at one time 2-meter was the hot product in the San Felipe area and I supplied my Landlord and his sons with a number of them. They could easily communicate over distances of 25 miles. Lots of people still have theirs, but others, including my Landlord gave it up when Celphone service became so cheap and widespread.

One of the advantages of Ham rigs and Marine SSB was that you could make telephone calls to the states over the network from as far (and farther ?) as La Paz. That's become less important as Voip service has become so widely available.

Diver - 9-8-2005 at 09:09 PM

?? "pejorative" ??

A smart newbie, eh ?? :lol:

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2005 at 04:21 AM

pejorative=
"A disparaging or belittling word or expression. "

I MUSY really be a simpleton...:yes::yes:

NEW MIDLAND GMRS 5-WATT RADIOS-------

Barry A. - 5-23-2006 at 09:53 AM

----I just got notification that "The Sportsman's Guide" has on sale MIDLAND'S new GXT-600 GMRS handi talkies with an advertised 18 mile range (full 5 watts) for $65 for 2 radios.

Put "The Sportsman's Guide" into your search engine, and when it comes up, put in the part number FX6X1-103361. The catalog # is 202153, but I don't think you need this number.

There is an additional $10 S&H, for a total of about $75. (no tax in CA)

If you are a member of the "Sportsman's Buyers Club" your total cost is $68.47 for 2 radios (no tax in CA)

bajalou - 5-23-2006 at 03:31 PM

Those GMRS require a FCC license don't they.

Lou-----

Barry A. - 5-23-2006 at 03:58 PM

-----if they do, I am not aware of it, and I have had other GMRS radios for years.

Bob and Susan - 5-23-2006 at 04:11 PM

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a public two-way radio service.
GMRS Requires an FCC license.

Many people confuse FRS and GMRS. They are two entirely different services.

Do not be confused when they say FRS/GMRS.

If a radio has more than 14 channels, it is a GMRS radio, and you require a license to operate this radio.

A GMRS license is good for all persons legally residing in your household.
Each individual does not need their own license.

Most 22 channel radios are type accepted for use on all 14 channel license-free FRS channels.
As such, you may operate on channels 1-14 only, using only low power.

Bob-----

Barry A. - 5-23-2006 at 04:34 PM

Thanks for that info.

I went back and read the operators manual, and it confirms all you say except that it says that channels 8 thru 14 (not 1 thru 14) are for low power use only, on FRS freqs---no lic required. All the rest of the channels are GMRS BUT you need a license, and you can operate at the full 5 watts.

I obviously have been breaking the law for some time now. Bummer!!!

Bob and Susan - 5-23-2006 at 05:16 PM

the GMRS police will be there soon....:lol:

How do I Obtain a GMRS License?

Roberto - 5-23-2006 at 05:17 PM

Unlicensed operation of a GMRS transmitter, including on the "split" frequencies shown in Table 2 (except by FRS radios), is punishable by a monetary fine of up to $10,000 for the first offense, even more for subsequent violations. You must obtain an FCC license (or be an immediate family member of someone who is already licensed) before you may transmit with a GMRS radio.

To apply for a GMRS license, you must complete and return a Form 605 to the FCC. You can obtain a copy of the FCC Form 605 and its instructions by calling: 1-888-CALL-FCC. You can also obtain a copy from the FCC's Web site: www.fcc.gov/formpage.html

You can also apply for a GMRS license directly on the Web. This is actually the preferable way to obtain a new GMRS personal license. For more information on licensing, click here.

Applicants must also submit an FCC Form 159 ("Remittance Advice"). It is available from the same sources mentioned above.

As of October 2002, the cost of obtaining an FCC license in the GMRS is $75. This includes a $50 application fee, and a usage fee of $25 ($5 per year for the five-year GMRS license). This $75 fee total must be submitted along with the application.

[Edited on 5-24-2006 by Roberto]

bancoduo - 5-23-2006 at 05:49 PM

What good is a FCC license do in Mexico?

Banco------

Barry A. - 5-23-2006 at 06:18 PM

----absolutely NO GOOD------Mexico has their own laws.

shari - 5-23-2006 at 08:33 PM

calling all you radio heads, switching to a friendly channel....OK, so in case you missed my last begging for old, broken radios, here it is again...please save me your trashed stuff when you buy your lovely new radios...my husband fixes all the fishermens radios here and he is in dire need of parts, so put them in a box and we'll see if someone can bring them down or put em on a bus to us....mil gracias amigos