BajaNomad

Maps ... driving the back roads

Uglyhat - 9-8-2005 at 10:12 PM

So I'm sitting here with my Baja Almanac (best available maps? Is Guija Roja any better?) for California Sur and I'm wondering ... just how BAD are the back roads? I know it will vary greatly, and there could be a washout anywhere (I drove 60 miles on Cascade logging roads once to find a bridge out within sight of the highway I was working back to ... ergh), but in general:

Do you find the Baja Almanac to be a reliable indicator of the existence of a 'road' of some sort?

Are the back roads generally passable in a burly 2WD with weight in the back, limited slip, shovels, come along, high lift jack, and carpet rolls, etc. ?

How important is 4WD for back road (not off road) exploration? (just bought my first 2wd rig - '91 F350)

For example:
- Bahia Tortugas to Punta Abreojos, (primary rural route)?
- El Saucito and Tiombo uphill from Loreto (dirt road)?

This didn't really seem to fit in the Off-Roading or Road Conditions forum, so I posted here. Feel free to move if it's in the wrong one.

Neal Johns - 9-8-2005 at 10:55 PM

You should be good for 90% of the Backroads shown on the best map (Baja Almanac) the problem is, what 90%? :?: There are no real clues on the map.

Mike Humfreville - 9-9-2005 at 12:47 AM

Your quote: "How important is 4WD for back road (not off road) exploration?"

Most of the "back roads" in Baja California are unpaved. But many of the unpaved roads are suitable for 2WD.

Take care and it sounds like you have some great new experiences (and associated posts) in store for us all.

baja Steve - 9-9-2005 at 06:02 AM

uglyhat What part of Oregon?

TMW - 9-9-2005 at 06:56 AM

As the others have said 2 wheel drive is no problem for 90+%. Two things to beware of are sand and rain. If you do drive in sand depending on the depth, don't stop unless your going down hill and carry a highlift jack if you don't have a winch, maybe even if you do. Rain can change a lot of things. I think the almanac is best viewed as a reference only and not an absolute.

comitan - 9-9-2005 at 07:50 AM

Uglyhat

I hope your not thinking of pulling that sailboat down back roads, Pulling that boat down here and sailing the gulf you are going to have plenty of adventure.

rpleger - 9-9-2005 at 08:03 AM

Most of the ranchers who live in the back country only have 2wd. But they know where to go for help also.

David K - 9-9-2005 at 09:57 AM

Above info. is all correct. I have 4WD (and locking rear diff.) because I love going on the toughest roads Baja has to offer and always find a bit of paradise at the end... Here is a road that the above was needed, starting at: http://vivabaja.com/403/page2.html

The roads in the Almanac may not be as shown correctly (some 'foot trails' are drivable by 4WD and some auto roads shown do not even exist where shown)... But, going there yourself is part of the fun to find out. :light:

Uglyhat - 9-9-2005 at 01:56 PM

baja Steve,

we're in beautiful, bucolic Klamath Falls 2 hrs south of you

David K

Uglyhat - 9-9-2005 at 02:09 PM

Nice Pics! 'looks like fun backroad exploring, but *sigh* I don't think the 2WD dually would be up to it, at least not without minor cosmetic damage at least. I find myself wondering if the dually is wider than the blade on a D-6, but that's the sorta thinking that leads to long, long walks. We'll have to do without locking differentials and ultra steep approach angles this trip.

TMW - 9-9-2005 at 04:20 PM

David, how does the performance of your new Tocoma compare with the old one. Acceleration etc. I assume you have the 4 liter V6.

David K - 9-9-2005 at 04:49 PM

Tom, it is noticebly more powerful and faster/smoother acceleration... I easily zipped past long lines of semis and locals along Mex. 3 heading to Tecate, at 90+ MPH. I did think my last Tacoma had more power than it needed ... But, wow, how smooth and quiet (and quick) this '05 is! Yes, the 4.0 V-6 245 HP... I understand it is also now uses a timing chain... so no rubber timing belt to fear breaking or needing to replace at 90,000 miles as I did with my last Toy.:yes::bounce:

[Edited on 9-9-2005 by David K]

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2005 at 04:56 PM

Whooo!!!

Are you saying Toyotas are powered by a "rubber band"???:lol::lol:

David K - 9-9-2005 at 04:58 PM

Not anymore LOL! Now it is chain driven... like a Harley!:spingrin:

Corky1 - 9-9-2005 at 09:59 PM

David,
Harleys don't have a chain any longer.
They have a rubberband.(Belt)

Corky:light: :lol:

David K - 9-10-2005 at 11:22 AM

That's really funny Corky!

How is your Santa Gertrudis to San Sebastian trip plans look?

There is some interest by The squarecircle to go down to Los Corrales in October, with other Nomads perhaps!

Corky1 - 9-10-2005 at 08:21 PM

David,
The tentative plan now is I am going in from the mission side and my buddies a coming from Los Corrales.
I may have someone with me but if not I am still going.
Approx dates Oct 1 thru Oct 8??

Corky:light::lol: