BajaNomad

White knuckles?

Sharksbaja - 10-9-2005 at 12:29 PM

What you get when you pass a semi coming the other way in the dark on a narrow bridge on Hwy 1 at 70 mph.

I have seen people literally stop right in the middle of the road out of fright. Some folks don't have the skills necessary for Baja driving. Particularily, old farts who roll out the motor home once ore twice a year. They tow all that crap around, hardly using half of it, and wheen they do, it's a half-day affair loading and unloading it.
Many times while following these wide loads one will see the tires precariously close to the edge.
Quite frankly, the huevos or ignorance some of these "weekend-warriors" possess kills me. Hopefully not literally.

I think anyone over 65 should be DMV certified for large RVs.

One thing is for sure. They never break the speed limit.......no matter where the hell they are. SCARY!

Dave - 10-9-2005 at 12:37 PM

Sacrificial side mirrors should be standard equipment on any Baja rig. :biggrin:

comitan - 10-9-2005 at 12:38 PM

Sharks

I'm at a loss for words so.:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon:

As Bruce would say you can't put everyone in the same grope.

:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon::mad:

Tucker - 10-9-2005 at 12:42 PM

I've sacrificed a couple, rule of thumb; no paint swapped, no need to stop.

bajajudy - 10-9-2005 at 12:45 PM

Comi
I like your flashing, smiling, snarling, butts.

[Edited on 10-9-2005 by bajajudy]

True Cojones!

Dave - 10-9-2005 at 12:49 PM

Ever sacrificed one on the passenger side? :P

Tucker - 10-9-2005 at 12:50 PM

I haven't tried that one yet Dave.

comitan - 10-9-2005 at 12:53 PM

Yes Dave and the louvres on the camper window.

Note: Glass company in Guerro Negro changed it out in less than an hour to a slider.

[Edited on 10-9-2005 by comitan]

Dave - 10-9-2005 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tucker
I haven't tried that one yet Dave.

Amateur. :biggrin:

Sharksbaja - 10-9-2005 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Sharks

I'm at a loss for words so.:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon:

As Bruce would say you can't put everyone in the same grope.

:mad::moon::mad::moon::mad::moon::mad:

:lol:Well, you could always downshift...if you have a slower gear.

and quit groping:lol:

comitan - 10-9-2005 at 01:33 PM

Well sharks I'm over 70 and still do not have a slower gear. the faster you go when you meet the big trucks the faster they are gone. If I said anything more it would be political, something like an over abundance of government power. On _On_On.

bajaden - 10-9-2005 at 01:37 PM

I hate being groped on the highway at night. Having driven 16 wheelers and large box vans for a good portion of my life, I can honestly say it doesn't bother me. There's more room than a lot of people think. However, my wife does not share my view. More than her knuckles are white.

I'll tell you my greatest fear. Its having a flat out there in the dark and no shoulder to pull over on.

Sharksbaja - 10-9-2005 at 02:20 PM

Gee sorry Comi, it must bug the hell outta ya when statements like what I said put you in a "grope". Our Hwy 101 is overrun by "weekend-warriors" all summer long and the locals are constantly b-tchin' and moanin' about all the older folks and their RVing habits. They drive our distributors crazy.
I do understand why you feel "goped" however. My 80 yr old dad would race along the river here at 70 mph ALL THE TIME, and these roads really suck! I wouldn't want him driving a huge motor home once a year tho down Baja that's for sure. He'd probably do fine but some people are much better drivers than others, at any age. Look at the Japanese!:lol::lol:

comitan - 10-9-2005 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
but some people are much better drivers than others, at any age. Look at the Japanese!:lol::lol:

Now you know how to get to me. I don't age easily!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Frank - 10-9-2005 at 02:58 PM

Its that rush of adrenaline that keeps me smiling! The only time Im scared is when I reach a couple of bicycle riders pedaling down the road.

No Room

MrBillM - 10-9-2005 at 07:43 PM

Back in 1958-59, my dad and I went down to Ensenada to fish with a guy he had met who owned a house there. Driving down the old TJ-Ensenada road in his BIG Chevy Impala Wagon, he gave us some sage advice regarding the continual number of Cotton trucks we would encounter on the road. He said to never drive on to a bridge at the same time as they did because they took up most of the road and wouldn't budge.

Returning at night after three days of fishing (and other things), he came up on a bridge and there was one of those cotton trucks approaching. He said "I think we can make it". We didn't. The truck didn't budge and he tore [Hell] out of the passenger side of the Impala. He didn't even cuss, except at himself for doing something REALLY stupid.

Paulina - 10-9-2005 at 09:07 PM

Mr. Shark,
What are you doing driving at night in baja on a bridge at 70 mph?

If there are any older folks out and about in their motorhomes at that time of night doing the same, then good for them! At least they're not at home feeling sorry for themselves or rotting behind their computer screens dreaming about adventure.

Think of it this way, It's good for your butt cheek muscles. Squeeze them tight, hold your breath, grip that stearing wheel, smile and be happy that others are out enjoying life on the wild side just as you are.

I'm more afraid of having a flat without a shoulder or passing bicycles as previously stated than motorhomes or big rigs in tight spaces. It's usually the air cushion that keeps us apart anyway.

Life in baja good. Tight spaces, tight lines, tight butt cheeks, you get the picture....

P.<*)))><

Drivng at night

Sharksbaja - 10-9-2005 at 11:18 PM

Actually the "white knuckle thing happens at 50 mph too. Haven't lost a mirror yet but real close a couple of times. As far as going 70 at night.....not usually but I've been known to drive the carrera at night with BIG lights blazing. I don't like it particularily but I am pretty confident, just like Comitan.;) I do watch the semi trucks with more anticipation when they near.

Bedman - 10-10-2005 at 01:17 AM

Sharks,

I drive a motorhome, I'm a little older than some and younger than others. Last year I put over 25,000 miles on that motorhome and no scratches. I put another 35,000 on my pick up and no scratches there either......add last year to the previous 40 years of driving and you'll come up with 2,500,000 miles give or take. No accidents in that time. The few years befor that...well.....Let's just say I had my share of scrapes and bumps. I'm not afraid of the old geezers.......it's the kids that scare the crap out of me.

Do you really think Motorhomes are all driven by BAD drivers? :lol::fire:

Bedman

turtleandtoad - 10-10-2005 at 07:06 AM

My coach is 102" wide, the road in Baja is 114" wide. This leave me with 12" to play with. When I've got an on-coming truck I give him the whole 12"! It's either that or lose one of my mirrors. I know how wide my coach is and can (and do) hang one of my rear duals off the pavement occasionally without dropping off.

Hugging the pavement edge is not poor driving, just the opposite, it's knowing your rig and driving defensively. Can you do that in your car for 1000 miles?

I'm a Full-Timer; that means my RV is my home so everything I own is in my coach. I do not haul a bunch of useless junk around, you don't have room for junk in an RV.

I obey the speed limit! The roads would be a lot safer if everyone would. Yes I've been known to slow down when I've got a big truck coming at me around a curve but that's only good sense.

Just where are you going that's so important that it requires you to ignore the speed limit? Slow down and enjoy life!!

I've seen a few big RV's over the bank, but I've seen a lot more big semi's in the ditch.

I've driven through 7 nations (2 on the 'wrong' side of the road) and haven't put a dent in any of my rigs. A lot of scratches from brush and trees but nothing from another vehicle.

I think that's pretty good for an old fart.

If they want to retest me, fine. I'll obey the laws. Until then, to paraphrase someone, the only way they'll get my drivers license is out of my cold, dead hand; and that will probably be in bed!

bajaden - 10-10-2005 at 10:33 AM

Ditto's, Tortuga.....

Sharksbaja - 10-10-2005 at 10:43 AM

No, and I never said as much. I'm glad you are a great driver and obviously a seasoned vet. Some are not as great and they break out the toys once a year and pretend they're experts. Same goes for lots of rec stuff. Plenty of accidents to go along with the fun. Believe me, I like playin' too.
It does but seem most the motorhomes are driven by seniors. Inasmuch, I have seen more than a couple motorhome wrecks in Baja. Who was driving or how old they were I don't know. I do know I have been reduced to following the (slow) leader occasionally when the "clubs" follow one another down the carrera.
I'm sure that kids are proportionally more risky than seniors per se but I was commenting on the "week-end warrior" and the sometimes scary passing of trucks on Baja Hwy 1. Do you drive the route?
I feel everyone should have driving exam every ten years or so. Maybe what I said earlier would be better solved this way. I really can't say at what age someone should be restricted but things can change in 10 or so years dramatically, especially when it comes to visual perception

comitan - 10-10-2005 at 10:54 AM

Sharks

I'm feeling better now that you are backing off on the age thing, I know a fellow here in La Paz that is 85 years young and drives to the states 4-5 times a year.

Sharksbaja - 10-10-2005 at 11:03 AM

WOW! Now that's the kind of driving we like. I just measured my mirror to mirror width. Is that what you measure. I come up with 97"-98". I can imagine you can feel smell the sweaty truck driver as he passes next to you. I can hang half a tire over the edge too:lol: that's part of why I have these huge tires. Shouldn't you call yerself "Turtleandahair"

bajaden - 10-10-2005 at 12:26 PM

Tortugaandahare. Sounds like the next Islamic leader. No jahid jokes please.

Bedman - 10-10-2005 at 08:22 PM

Sharks

"Do you drive the route?"

Yup, My first trip was 1967, long dusty drive back then and no Motorhome. We could barely afford the gas then....at....uh?? stateside .24 cents a gallon? Let alone a (God forbid) gas sucking motorhome. We made a couple trips a year and several to San Felipe. That was before SF had paved roads , before the arches, before the Toutuava ban, before SF population had hit 300. As the years passed and #1 got pavement we travelled a little more each year. Last year, I think we made 7 or 8 trips. Hmmm..is the Clam Man still in SF?

Bedman

Neal Johns - 10-10-2005 at 09:57 PM

The Clam Man? Boy, you are really old, Bedman. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have read about him.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only time I had a problem with a truck was a little joke played on this old Gringo: I was headed to El Marmol on that good graded road and some workers in a flatbed truck, grinning like hell, pulled into the center of the road to play chicken with me. I thought it was funny, so I aimed the Toyota toward the boonies and threw up my hands. They gave me thumbs up as they passed. I think it was thumbs......

David K - 10-10-2005 at 10:19 PM

The Clam Man was quite visible in San Felipe in the late 1970's... His restaurant/ clam shop was along the right side of the highway as it enterd town. Cruz Guerrero (The Clam Man) would sit in a barber chair at his place and wave to everyone arriving into town... the official greeter maybe... I remember waving back to him. His truck had a big sand dollar painted on its side with his slogan, "My Clams Make You Horny" !

This photo is from Greg Niemann's excellent book 'Baja Legends' c2002 by Sunbelt Publications.

Bedman - 10-10-2005 at 11:44 PM

That's the Guy!! LOL...I had forgotten about his "Horny" sign. Too Funny!!

Sharksbaja - 10-10-2005 at 11:46 PM

I think he lives in Newport OR. or was that Newport Beach, CA.:lol: Our oysters will make you big-time horny.:bounce::tumble::wow:;D

[Edited on 10-11-2005 by Sharksbaja]