BajaNomad

Captain for 40ft Sailboat

Naomi - 10-11-2005 at 10:43 AM

Do any of you know of a Captain I can contact to sail my boat from Santa Rosalia to La Paz departing November 14th?

This sailboat does NOT have a motor, so I need an experianced Captain that can sail in/out of ports without a motor.

The boat also has an autohelm, so experiance with that would be a plus.

Please let me know if you know of anybody... Thanks so much!!!!!

Naomi
;)

For Naomi..on sailing your boat to La Paz

Anonymous - 10-11-2005 at 11:32 AM

I know several blue-water sailors at the marinas in La Paz, but this would be a good place to check with in San Diego.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/

more capitanos here.....

Anonymous - 10-11-2005 at 11:36 AM

Naomi......You might also post your notice at this marina...talk to Mary if she is still there.

http://www.marinadelapaz.com/

try here

gringorio - 10-11-2005 at 02:59 PM

hola Naomi

Did you try posting your question here:

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/cortez/index.cgi

good luck

~gringorio

Dave - 10-11-2005 at 08:36 PM

If interested I would have lots of questions:

How is it rigged? Sloop, Ketch or Yawl (ideal).

Adequate ground tackle?

Tonnage, draft and keel shape.

Full complement of sails (in working order).

At least one or two experienced crew.

The autohelm is the least of your problems (and without a auxiliary would drain a battery in no time flat). Most modern boats are not designed to sail in close quarters. Even fewer skippers are capable. Your best bet is to find an experienced sailor to sail point to point and tow out and in. Even then, I would warn the harbor master so's everybody can run and hide. ;)

Please post a picture or tell us what kind of boat. I'd like to know why it has an autohelm but not an auxiliary.

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by Dave]

Bruce R Leech - 10-12-2005 at 06:42 AM

I would be available to help you on those dates. I hate motors and always sailed in and out of ports. but like Dave I always survey a boat before I commit to a job

Naomi - 10-12-2005 at 09:47 AM

Thank you so much for responding to my post? You have a lot of interesting questions, not all of which I have the answer to.

My father started building it in 1971 and finished it in 1979. I?m not quite sure of the tonnage, but I think it should say on the pink slip. My father passed away the end of August in Punta Priete while on his way back from the states. I?ve inherited the boat (grew up on it in Marina Del Rey, CA) and need to get it back to La Paz for his memorial service preferably by November 18th.

All sails are in working order (he had just sailed it up to Santa Rosalia before his death). I?m not sure what ground tackle is?

What are ?close quarters?? I know that he?s sailed this boat up and down the coast of mexico, and even to Guadalupe Island several times? I don?t think I would call the boat ?modern?.

I can't figure out how to post a picture here, but a picture of the boat can be found at www.bestwagnerfamily.com/jeffpics

Again, thanks for your reply?s! Any help you can give me is MUCH appreciated!!!

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by Naomi]

Naomi - 10-12-2005 at 09:56 AM

Okay... I've got some info for you...

It's cutter rigged. 14 tons. 8.5 Depth. 6 1/2 foot draft. I'm not sure about the keel shape, you can kind of tell in the picture. We don't have a wind vain, it's on our list of things to get, but we never got around to it. It has a ferrous cement hull.

We have solar power while sailling and a generator.

We have 3 outboards and two dinghy's.
- 5 horse
- 18 horse
- 25 horse

Thanks!!!

bufeo - 10-12-2005 at 10:07 AM

You might try Laura Tritch, Santa Barbara Harbor. She's an experienced Captain with good credentials, and a 500-ton license.

Here's a little bit of a bio from Boatus.com

Among these teachers is Capt. Laura Tritch, who holds a U.S. Coast Guard 500-ton masters/ocean license, one of only three women in California who have this certificate. Tritch, who lives aboard her own sailboat in Santa Barbara, is currently the paid, full-time captain on a sleek, well-oiled yacht machine, a 65-foot Azimut named Lady Angelina.She's in charge of everything on the boat, from maintenance and engine repair to taking its owner on three-month cruises up and down the West Coast.

She's good, and she might have the time to help you out.

I do have her contact number. If you want it send me a U2U. I don't come to this Forum often, but I'll pay attention over the next couple of days to see if you want to follow up with this.

Naomi - 10-12-2005 at 01:24 PM

Thanks!

I emailed them!!

Naomi - 10-12-2005 at 02:41 PM

Hey everybody!! I found a Captain!! An old friend of my Dad's down in La Paz is gonna do it! I appreciate the info/help you guys have given me!! I'll keep all the info in case I need to do this again!

:tumble:

Anonymous - 10-12-2005 at 03:33 PM

Hey, congratulations on a quick find. Who is the lucky skipper? Might his intitials end in 'G'? If so, he is an accomplished sailor..and stinkpotter, too.

Naomi - 10-12-2005 at 03:40 PM

His name is Fernando... I'm not sure what his last name is.

:cool:

BahaP_J - 10-13-2005 at 01:05 AM

I have sailed that stretch many times in my own 40 fot Benetou, which is a very fast boat compaired to a cement boat. I think you need to allow more time for your trip as that boat will be fairly slow sailing againt the wind. The entrance to La Paz harbour is faily narrow and having to tack back and forth in a narrow chanel and without the help of power will be very tricky for even the best of sailers. I would recomend you arrange for a tow for that part of the trip.

Joe

JZ - 10-13-2005 at 01:14 AM

" having to tack back and forth in a narrow chanel and without the help of power"

This doesn't make sense. He wouldn't be tacking back and forth if he had power. :light:

Anonymous - 10-13-2005 at 04:13 AM

Indeed, the boat does not have a propped engine. Which is very unusual for a classic cutter, but typical of home-built ferro-cement hulls.

Bruce R Leech - 10-13-2005 at 06:46 AM

good sailors don't need an engine for anything. that is what sailing is all about.

Naomi - 10-13-2005 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
good sailors don't need an engine for anything. that is what sailing is all about.

Said like a true sailor!

Against the wind from

jrbaja - 10-13-2005 at 11:37 AM

Santa Rosalia to La Paz ?

JZ - 10-13-2005 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

Sure... whatever you say!

What Bruce said is true JZ

jrbaja - 10-13-2005 at 11:44 AM

and having a brother who was a traditional sail maker, I understand. These guys cringe at the thought of using a motor.

And it seems that docking under sail is like winning the lottery when done properly!:light:

JZ - 10-13-2005 at 12:17 PM

Boy, there must be zero "real or good sailors" at the marina's I frequent!, because I can't recall watching one sail-in!

Hey, but I'm not a sailor, power is more my thing, so what do I know! But I preceive the comments as macho chest pounding and, generally, out to lunch!

JZ - 10-13-2005 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Against the wind from

Wind should be at your back this time of year!

But I preceive the comments as macho chest pounding and, generally, out to lunch!

jrbaja - 10-13-2005 at 03:14 PM

Sort of JZ. But when I said "traditional", I meant it. And traditionally, those sailers didn't have motors. This has created a sense of pride in true "sailers" when they don't have to rely on anything but their own skill and equipment.
Personally, I'm with you because I have yet to see a sailboat that I could ski behind!

JZ - 10-13-2005 at 06:30 PM

JR this is a little ironic. You are commenting about a subject which you are not an expert, which is fine and dandy.

But you blast the "tourist" for talking about Baja in a similar way. Can't have it both ways!

Al G - 10-13-2005 at 07:29 PM

I'm not a sail salt, but a 40' concrete ship would need a small tug boat to dock???? I think the tall ships in San Francisco use tugs? The guy who sailed this must not have had any worries as he built and sailed it for years with no motor.
Do sailboats have brakes?:lol::barf::lol::barf::lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech - 10-13-2005 at 07:47 PM

Quote:

if you cant sail into the wind you have no reason to be on a sail boat:lol:

Nope, no expert JZ

jrbaja - 10-13-2005 at 08:14 PM

But after spending 2 months on a 115' steel hulled schooner in the South China Sea, my brother owning a 1953 55' Sparkman Stevens Ketch and him living on it for over 10 years in San Diego, 2 of my good friends having similar boats and sailing on them as well, remodeling the sail loft for Ullman Sails, knowing and hanging around the Frost family for a number of years (Downwind Marine), sailing to Catalina amd Ensenada a number of times, and my brother owning San Diego Sails and Canvas, I have some opinions of what I think a traditional sailor is.

But, I could be wrong!

Again I will state, I prefer something that pulls a skier.:lol:

PS, One of my friends boats that we sailed to Ensenada is cement. No different than any other boat in the 40-50' range to maneuvre. We also pulled another 55' steel hull up from Baja Naval where it was made in Ensenada with the cement hull, to Shelter Island where it is now being finished. That was a LONG trip! Uphill the whole way!

[Edited on 10/14/2005 by jrbaja]

JZ - 10-13-2005 at 08:45 PM

Ok, you know a little more than I gave you credit for!

JZ - 10-13-2005 at 10:33 PM

Your too intelligent for my Larry, because I have no clue what the real meaning of that is in this context.

Interesting style also, I looked at your last ten posts. Everytime it was a quote and response to a post, just like this. Stopped after ten (10 for 10). Interesting gig you got going??!!

JZ - 10-14-2005 at 09:49 AM

That explains alot!

Anonymous - 10-14-2005 at 10:15 AM

I'm honestly not too concerned about getting into the harbor.

My dad used to do it without a motor going into a slip in Marina del Rey, only using his sails and that's a REALLY busy Marina. The captain we've chosen has sailed with my dad many times and I fully trust his capabilities.

...And where can I get that robot?

Naomi - 10-14-2005 at 10:22 AM

Oops! I forgot to login.. That Anon is me!

Dave Ullman

Dave - 10-14-2005 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
remodeling the sail loft for Ullman Sails

Yeah?

Dave is a great guy. He spent three hours with me discussing sail options for my Schock. ( And to him, a $1,200 sail package is way small potatoes.)

JR, next time you're down I'll show you my best Baja find. A Pfaff 130 I picked up at the Primo Tapia flea market for $50.00. It'll sew through 10 layers of canvas and not break a sweat.:biggrin:

Maybe you could build us a loft?:lol:

Dave - 10-14-2005 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
This has created a sense of pride in true "sailers" when they don't have to rely on anything but their own skill and equipment.

I love it when push button "sailors" motor in, after stowing all sail, and then...the... auxiliary...dies. :biggrin:

Motors always work, except when they don't. Can't say the same thing about sails. ;D

Dave

jrbaja - 10-14-2005 at 02:34 PM

San Diego Sails and Canvas is no longer but my brother still has most of his stuff.
He will be down soon. I'll bring him by.

comitan - 10-14-2005 at 02:36 PM

Dave

That says it all, just hope you have an upwind berth when the motor dies. Sailboats don't have brakes.

Don't you mean

jrbaja - 10-14-2005 at 02:38 PM

downwind berth?

comitan - 10-14-2005 at 02:41 PM

Jr

Your not showing your knowledge of sailing. If you want to challenge me on sailing experience you WILL lose.

Oh settle down

jrbaja - 10-14-2005 at 02:45 PM

and answer the question.
Let's see Popeye, no power and I want to get to a berth upwind. What do I do?

comitan - 10-14-2005 at 02:53 PM

Now I have to give sailing lessons? Jr. You are coming into the marina the wind is behind your you have plenty of speed when you get to your row of berths you turn in, when you approach your berth you turn in directly into the wind and stop hopefully. if you were turning into a downwind berth you could drop all of your sails if you knew when then slowing down turn in the berth with little momentum it can be done but chances are you will run up on the dock. Or just make the corner of the berth, someone jumps off and pulls you in. Docking 101.

Well Popeye

jrbaja - 10-14-2005 at 03:20 PM

I was referring to this; "That says it all, just hope you have an upwind berth when the motor dies."

"You are coming into the marina the wind is behind your you have plenty of speed when you get to your row of berths you turn in, when you approach your berth you turn in directly into the wind and stop hopefully."

But I would like to see someone on a 40' boat with the wind behind them, turn that boat directly into the wind before pulling into a berth. Especially in the Marinas I've been in.

I just think Naomi is lucky that she doesn't have you or I skipperin!:lol:

[Edited on 10/14/2005 by jrbaja]

Markitos21 - 10-14-2005 at 03:25 PM

It's better to sail into an achorage and dink in. Once it took me 12 hours to sail into La Paz . So much for motors. It sucked I was so close yet so far for so long!
BTW a headwind slip is a heck of alot easy'er to back out of too.

comitan - 10-14-2005 at 03:29 PM

Jr

Its done quite a bit, the problem with that boat being Ferrocement and heavy it would not stop easily. It takes knowing your boat (experience) and cahones.

Naomi - 10-14-2005 at 03:47 PM

JR - I will consider myself lucky once were sucessufully docked in La Paz!

I'm definatly no expert, but my we would go out racing with boats with fiberglass hulls and aluminum hulls and we'd win (well except for a couple of times)...

comitan - 10-14-2005 at 03:57 PM

Naomi

Just get here safely, radio for help docking you will not have any trouble, If your going to Berkcovich you will be anchored or on a mooring.

Naomi - 10-14-2005 at 04:00 PM

Comitan - Will do.

We are going to Berkovich, but we're gonna pull it out to paint the bottom... if there's time...

;););););););););)

Naomi - 10-14-2005 at 04:16 PM

Got it!! Will do... I like singing! And I like Irish beer! And I love Swiss cheese.... I'm sure I'll like them.

We used to have a trimaran named "Sweet Pea" that we kept in La Paz when we had the KIYOMI in Los Angeles.

I'm sure you'll do fine Naomi

jrbaja - 10-14-2005 at 05:51 PM

Some people just don't understand the concept of ferro hulls.:lol: A concrete boat:o Oh my God, that stuff doesn't float:lol::lol::lol:

Lady Margarita, the concrete hull we towed the steel hull back from Ensenada with is one of the most beautiful, as well as seaworthy boats I've been on.

Mebbe we'll see ya down there sometime. I have a pretty good connection for sails n stuff.

comitan - 10-14-2005 at 07:28 PM

Liberty ships World War 2 There was a total of 2000 built and of that 2000 only 24 were built of ferrocement because of a lack of steel. The same thing happened in world war 1 they were short of steel and built ferrocement.

Dave - 10-14-2005 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Dave

That says it all, just hope you have an upwind berth when the motor dies. Sailboats don't have brakes.

Once, I watched a guy sail hard down the lane, 360 over his own keel, backwind the jib and back into his slip.

There are sailors, and then there are SAILORS. :biggrin:

JZ - 10-14-2005 at 10:13 PM

Sounds like you've watched Captain Ron one too many times Dave! ;D

Anonymous - 10-14-2005 at 11:26 PM

JZ amd Pampano, How is it both of you know everything about every subject?

Anonymous - 10-15-2005 at 04:34 AM

It's easy...just hit the 'search' button....but I think you must mean someone else. I am dumb as a stump.

JZ - 10-15-2005 at 09:01 AM

Becaused I watched Captain Ron (funniest boating movie of all time!) and in one scene the boat was docked just as Dave mentions, we'll except Captain Ron used the motor!

capt. mike - 10-17-2005 at 05:22 AM

JZ - been trying to reach you re your trip.
give me an email ok?

Kiyomi on the rocks

SBSRF - 12-31-2005 at 09:44 AM

Saw a pic of Kiyomi on the rocks at Medano Blanco on Latitude 38's "lectronic latitude" web site. No one was hurt. Guess they should of had a motor. Tragic.

From the article:

Danielle Dignan checks in from Mexico: "I'm a freelance writer from San Francisco. My husband and I are in Baja teaching expedition sailing for NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) and just came upon a pretty recent ferrocement sailboat wreck. Here are some pics of it at Medano Blanco (between Conception and Pulpito). We think it went on the rocks around November 20. No one was hurt. We heard from the fishermen at San Nicolas that it was two young men sailing their deceased father or grandfather's boat to La Paz."

According to the graphics on the stern, the boat was the Kiyomi from Los Angeles.

[Edited on 12-31-2005 by SBSRF]

[Edited on 12-31-2005 by SBSRF]

Link to pictures

Tucker - 12-31-2005 at 01:41 PM

http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/2005/1205/Dec30/Dec30...

Near bottom of page.

[Edited on 12-31-2005 by Tucker]

Bob and Susan - 12-31-2005 at 03:05 PM

Take a look at this site...

http://www.bestwagnerfamily.com/

Horrible thing to happen

bajajudy - 12-31-2005 at 03:09 PM

Oh man that breaks my heart.
Hope that they are all ok.

Dave - 12-31-2005 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SBSRF
Guess they should of had a motor. Tragic.

Nah...Should have had a competent captain. Good sailors don't need motors and poor ones shouldn't sail.

The boat went aground because someone was sailing her where they shouldn't, plain and simple.

SBSRF - 12-31-2005 at 08:53 PM

Have to agree with you Dave. Un-qualified sailors shouldn't try to do what those two young men tried. It's a sad end to a blissfull story.

HotSchott - 1-1-2006 at 11:30 AM

Wow. This story played out like the Darwin awards. There is NOTHING about sailing a ketch-rigged, 10-ton, 40-foot, concrete monohull in Baja that vaguely resembles amature or easy. Without inboard power, that boat sailed like a rock. In 30-knots + wind, that was a disaster waiting to happen. That boat would be challenging to an experienced sailor even on a perfect day!

We just got back from bareboating a 40-foot catamaran in Belize for 12 days. The house is still swaying and we are still stepping over bulkheads when we go through doors. People should have enormous respect for the ocean especially in Baja. After 35+ years sailing, I can honestly say I am just a beginner skipper with SOO much left to learn.

Dave - 1-1-2006 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HotSchott
Wow. This story played out like the Darwin awards. There is NOTHING about sailing a ketch-rigged, 10-ton, 40-foot, concrete monohull in Baja that vaguely resembles amature or easy. Without inboard power, that boat sailed like a rock. In 30-knots + wind, that was a disaster waiting to happen. That boat would be challenging to an experienced sailor even on a perfect day!

Especially in the SOC. I'd sooner sail a dinghy in the Southern Ocean than be on the Cortez in a blow. Even in a well-found boat, the seas can be killers...Like sailing in an agitated bathtub. And if you need it, where's the sea-room? They were damn lucky nobody died.

Naomi - 1-2-2006 at 11:06 AM

Hello fellow nomad's.

I'm amazed to see the pictures of our wreck. We lost everything during that voyage, including my fathers remains.

Luckily nobody was hurt, with the exception of several scrapes and bruises. There were six of us on the vessel that day; myself, my 14 year old sister, my best friend, my boyfriend, the captain and his mate.

The wreck happened on Wednesday November 16th before dawn. The winds that evening were surprisingly strong and kept getting worse thru the night. We dropped the sails and dropped two anchors as we were slowly approaching conception point. We were woken up just before dawn by the captain telling us to abandon ship. We did so less than 30 seconds before the Kiyomi hit.

We found two men that helped us carry the few items we were able to recover to their truck 5km away. From there they took us to Loreto where we rented a Hotel and car. Thank god credit cards are not damaged by seawater!!!

The following morning we arrived safely in La Paz with nothing more than stinky wet bags.

I?m still amazed that you all have heard about the wreck? Those pictures?. WOW?

I?m glad there are people like you who care!

Bob and Susan - 1-2-2006 at 11:11 AM

Thank God you all were safe.....

What a story you will be able to tell....later...

The history of this boat....

Tucker - 1-2-2006 at 12:26 PM

Ironically, your father got to go down with his ship.

[Edited on 1-2-2006 by Tucker]

WOW

Al G - 1-2-2006 at 08:21 PM

What a story! This could make a movie.
Sorry to hear your misfortune Naomi. Your Father will always be part of the Sea of Cortes now and I think he may have wanted it like that.
Albert

[Edited on 1-3-2006 by Al G]