BajaNomad

El Rosario Town Map #1,2, & 3 added

David K - 11-1-2005 at 08:02 AM

Here is my first draft of the map to help visitors find services in El Rosario. This map is of 'El Rosario Arriba', along Highway 1.

There is also more of 'Arriba' along the road to La Bocana, to the west of the sharp curve, as well as the older town of Rosario Abajo, across the river...

Anyway, this will be a work in progress...

The ticks on Mex. 1 are 1/10th mile marks from the sharp curve... Baja's Best B&B (#32) is 2.1 miles from the curve, for example...

[Edited on 2-2-2006 by David K]

0035.gif - 19kB

surfer jim - 11-1-2005 at 08:26 AM

Good, it doesn't show the turnoff to the "secret" surf spots.....:biggrin:

The hand drawn map just reminded me of the maps from some of the "old" (1970's) baja guide books....

[Edited on 11-1-2005 by surfer jim]

David K - 11-1-2005 at 08:35 AM

I am trying to figure how to reduce the thing! It is under 50 kbs per Doug's limit, but the size is way too big, on the screen... I need to get to work, so bare with the size until I can play with it some more...

Again, this is just the first draft and will improve... the numbers and other hand writing on the map will change, and I will add more details/topgraphy, etc.

Neal Johns - 11-1-2005 at 08:54 AM

You mean like this?:

Small El Rosario Map 800X580.jpg - 30kB

BajaNomad - 11-1-2005 at 11:45 AM

Neal,

With the lossy nature of JPGs and this image having few colors, it's more suited to be a GIF:

Paulina - 11-1-2005 at 12:04 PM

Sorry David, but I had to laugh when I read the title of your post. I just always thought that one turned left at the bottom of the hill....
thanks,
P.<*)))><

Bruce R Leech - 11-1-2005 at 03:31 PM

thanks David It doesn't need to be beautiful to be informative. and you covered it just fine.

Really great

John M - 11-1-2005 at 03:46 PM

Printed it out and it's in my Baja Almanac, that way all I have to do is remember what I did with it before we leave. John

David K - 11-1-2005 at 07:46 PM

Neal & Doug,
Thanks for reducing it... I would appreciate though if you could email me the steps so I can do it myself in the future...

Paulina... I don't understand your post... One does turn left (east) at the bottom of the hill to stay on Mex. 1.

Bruce and John, please don't get too excited about this map... it is quite homely and not finished... Plus, it is only of the town along Mex. 1... There is a lot more town down the dirt road to the right (west) and the seperate part, called Abajo, across the river by the second site of the Rosario mission.

I just wanted to show you guys a work in progress...
Thanks again!

woody with a view - 11-1-2005 at 08:00 PM

Quote:

that way all I have to do is remember what I did with it before we leave.

HAAA!!!! and i thought i was losing it. good to know there are others who suffer, also.

David-don't shortchange yerself. it is past due for a detailed map of the town. even if it is primitive, the detail will allow more folks to stop and enjoy the town instead of just buying gas, maybe eating at mama's and heading on down the road. thanks...

Santiago - 11-1-2005 at 08:13 PM

I think I got pesos at #31 for a good rate per Mr Lusk. or maybe #27 - can't remember now.

[Edited on 11-2-2005 by Santiago]

Thanks DK

Sonora Wind - 11-1-2005 at 09:09 PM

The town just keeps gettin nicer and better.:cool:

Sonora Wind

Baja Bernie - 11-1-2005 at 09:29 PM

Have not heard about you for a long time.. Still fighting fires?

Paulina - 11-2-2005 at 08:53 AM

David,
I was just being silly. No harm no foul. We usually only stop at the Pemex and at one of the local markets for refreshments on our way south. A long time ago there used to be a small taco stand at the bottom of the hill, to the right, just next to the large market. We always ate there, and if I remember right, it was the front room of the lady's house. I'd like to know what happned to that lady and her house. It's an empty spot now.
Since then we haven't eaten in town, other than a quickie here or there at Mama's.
As always,
P.<*)))><

[Edited on 2-11-2005 by Paulina]

David K - 11-2-2005 at 08:58 AM

10-4 Paulina... Antonio may know what happened to that place... I hope now that you have heard of the other good places to eat... you will try someplace else besides just Mama's. Tacos Mision is Hugo's place and you can see much of his art work there... His wife makes butterflys out of clam shells and paints them for wall ornaments, as well.

bajalera - 11-2-2005 at 10:05 AM

You could enlarge the section to the left of No. 19 and box it in a rectangle, and put the road to the right at a smaller scale. This would give enough room to place the names besides the features, which is a lot more convenient than having to keep referring to a long list.

Bob H - 11-2-2005 at 01:11 PM

Great map David! Audrey and I have eaten at Loncheria El Pollito a few times. And, you and I both know about the food at La Bocana Beach Restaurant! These places are finally getting discovered.
Bob H

rpleger - 11-2-2005 at 01:13 PM

I think the map is great and will print it and place it in the glove box with all the other stuff I forget is there.

Swatez - 11-2-2005 at 06:26 PM

Hi all, I'm in Baja a lot. I currently am staying in Belliingham Washington for several months. I just found this site. It's GREAT ! I never see any new posts. All posts are from Oct. 30th. I see that folks are online but not sure how to possibly chat with them.. Help. I'd love to exchange stories with everyone.

Linda

comitan - 11-2-2005 at 06:33 PM

Linda

On the blue bar near the top hit todays posts. also on the last column of the thread there is a black box with arrow, that will take you to the last post.

[Edited on 11-3-2005 by comitan]

[Edited on 11-3-2005 by comitan]

David K - 11-2-2005 at 06:38 PM

Hello Swatez,
Today is Nov. 2, and it is a bit after 5:30 pm, PST... Welcome to Nomad! Just read away here and get a feel for the Baja love going on... I recommend you go to the Baja Trip Reports forum, here on Nomad and read of the trips many have taken to Baja and reported back... Tell us why you love Baja and what is some of your favorite places, people or activities...

'David K' and 'Baja Angel' at Mision Santo Domingo recently...

Bakery

BahaBob - 11-2-2005 at 10:24 PM

So where is the Panaderia? I don't know the name but it appears to be just before 11. I never miss stopping at it on my way south. Great cookies and bread.

Just left...

Mexray - 11-2-2005 at 11:06 PM

Nice start of ER town info, handy for many of us...wish I'd seen it earlier this month...

On our way back north we stayed at Baja Cactus again, on Halloween night...lucky for us, room #103 was available (more quiet than most)! We ate an early dinner at La Bocana and enjoyed the arrival of several 'spooky' ninos and ninas in costume and asking for goodies! We were warned that there were some 'teens' roaming around town with rotten eggs, looking for targets...we were spared.

BTW, on the way south, on Oct 6th, we called ahead Several days to Antonio of Baja Cactus for a room - which he was able to honor, but he was full up that night! A quick call to Them might be a good idea during the 'winter' gringo season, to assure you'll get a room.

We've just arrived back home in Stockton to some chilly weather - BIG change from the hi 80's we've been used to down on Bahia Concepcion...

We stayed last night at Los Pelicanos in Rosarito...nice rooms, and a great dinner there also! They are not very busy there yet, and we had the run of the place...Mele, the manager is a great host and treated us great...I had the Quail (2) and Steak (filet Mignon) - delicious, and cooked over a mesquite fired BBQ...we had a quick breakfast there this morning, great Coffee!

After filling up the old Bronco in TJ (NP 6.14/Liter - new price for Nov), we approached the border at 9:55AM - crossing through at 10:30AM...then a 9 hr drive back home...ugh! The best gas price we found up Hwy 99 was $2.499, just south of Fresno.

Bob H - 11-3-2005 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
We've just arrived back home in Stockton to some chilly weather - BIG change from the hi 80's we've been used to down on Bahia Concepcion...

Hey Ray, did you spend some time at palapa #8? How was it? Sure seems like a great place to get away from things.
Bob H

El Rosario Propane

TomS - 11-3-2005 at 01:11 PM

Thanks David

The map is great. I hope the small Propane filling station is still somewhere between 8 and 13?

Markitos21 - 11-3-2005 at 07:41 PM

Thanks David !!
And I have to tell you guys, Hotdog stand # 26 is the best in BAJA !!!!
The lady there is soo sweet and loves to watch as you devoure them up!
I dont think it's just me either my friends munch them down like candy too.
David are you going to brake down the rest of the area also?
Im still looking for some where to call my own near there.

David K - 11-3-2005 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomS
Thanks David

The map is great. I hope the small Propane filling station is still somewhere between 8 and 13?

I think it is before 8..... Sorry about missing that, also the panaderia (Baha Bob mentioned) will get added as well! Thanks for the input... I am sharing this rough draft map just for the great input from my fellow Nomads!

I suspect it will take a few more visits to get it all done... this is just 1/3 of the town (the part along Mex. 1). There is still the part to the right of the sharp turn, and El Rosario Abajo, across the river.

I used the satellite images to correcrtly plot the highway in relation to the businesses, then with copies of the extreme close up images, Baja Angel and I drove along and stopped many times to note the business.

So, this map is to scale... A close up of the denser part near the curve as suggested by Baja Lera, with the names instead of the numbers and legend is a good idea.

Thanks again, and stay tuned!:light:

Version #2

David K - 12-18-2005 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomS
Thanks David

TomS and BahaBob, here is the next edition and the bakery and propane distributor have been added...

David K - 2-1-2006 at 06:18 PM

Okay, here is version 3...

The next step would be to replace my sloppy hand written words and numbers with printed ones! :lol:

Anyway, until that happens use this... As Nomad requires under 50 kbs, the image is not real clear... email me for a higher resolution version, if you wish! email: info AT vivabaja.com