BajaNomad

propane

batman - 3-18-2006 at 11:26 AM

Can I take propane into mexico?

David K - 3-18-2006 at 11:59 AM

Little camping bottles, a 5 gallon bottle or a tank truck?

You can take the first two... probably not the tank truck!;D

Propane Tanks

MrBillM - 3-18-2006 at 05:09 PM

For many years, up to and including last week, I transported Filled propane tanks (5-7.5-10 Gal) into Baja with never a question or challenge.

Bruce R Leech - 3-18-2006 at 05:23 PM

I asked a bordergard and he told me that as long as it is in a proper tank.

he added that it is vary dangerous to transport the gas without the tank.:o

sounds like pretty good advice to me:saint:

Odd shaped, small propane tanks------

Barry A. - 3-18-2006 at 05:29 PM

I have 3 strangly shaped propane tanks with the old-style filler valves. 2 are about 3 gal, and 1 is probably about 2 gal.

Because of the old-style valves, I cannot get them filled in the USA.

Can I take these tanks to TJ, Tacate, or Mexicali and will they fill them for me?

Bruce R Leech - 3-18-2006 at 05:39 PM

they will fill them here OK. they will put gas into anything you can Carry in:?:

You are, just don't know it.

Dave - 3-19-2006 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

An OPD restricts fill to 80% so with a 5 gallon tank that's 4 gallons, or a shade over 15 liters. In Mexico, when you fill a 5 gallon they charge you for 18 liters. That's more than a 16% surcharge.

And you guys thought PEMEX was rippin' you off? :lol:

bajalou - 3-19-2006 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech

An OPD restricts fill to 80% so with a 5 gallon tank that's 4 gallons, or a shade over 15 liters. In Mexico, when you fill a 5 gallon they charge you for 18 liters. That's more than a 16% surcharge.

And you guys thought PEMEX was rippin' you off? :lol:

When I get gas, they charge me what the meter says-

Dave - 3-19-2006 at 08:17 PM

I get 'em filled at Zeta Gas in Rosarito. Last time I brought in 5/ 5 gallons. You prepay. The receipt said I paid for 90 liters. ;)

Mexican propane tanks-----

Barry A. - 3-19-2006 at 08:24 PM

Tanks procured in Mexico don't have the "OPD" safety device (do they), so you can cram 18 liters into a 5 gal tank, es verdad?? You only know it is full when the "thumb" valve hisses liquid gas, right??

If you have an American USA tank, then you are only getting about 15 liters because of the OPD valve, and probably getting ripped off, as Dave says, if they charge you for 18 liters.

wornout - 3-19-2006 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
I get 'em filled at Zeta Gas in Rosarito. Last time I brought in 5/ 5 gallons. You prepay. The receipt said I paid for 90 liters. ;)

And what did the meter say?

More or less.....GAS

bajajudy - 3-19-2006 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho

Interesting, where do you get gas? I've always bought it by the Kilo filled on a scale, unless they're delivering to a stationary tank, in which case the truck does meter it by the liter. Which I *believe* means you get more bang for the buck if have them you fill your stationary tanks in cold weather when the liquid is densor. ;>

--Larry

Is that true...it does make sense. So I should get my tank filled before it gets any warmer....muy interestante. I love this kind of info!

Dave - 3-19-2006 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout

The meter never stops. It's an assembly line with two tanks being filled at once. He might finish one while another is half-full then attach a new one then go back and finish off the other. Besides, the meter doesn't matter. You pay according to the size of the tank...period.

bajalou - 3-20-2006 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by wornout

The meter never stops. It's an assembly line with two tanks being filled at once. He might finish one while another is half-full then attach a new one then go back and finish off the other. Besides, the meter doesn't matter. You pay according to the size of the tank...period.

Bring them to San Felipe - they reset the meter after every tank. Of course, we don't know how acurate the meter is but the figures seem right when they are done. Of course, exchange tanks are flat rated.

:biggrin:

turtleandtoad - 3-20-2006 at 09:50 AM

FYI,

In the southern climes, they don't use propane (C3H8), they use butane (C4H10).

So if you fill up your RV's propane tank in southern Mexico or Central America, make sure you use it up or drain it out before you return to the US as liquid butane will not become a gas at about 32 F. Whereas propane can be used to -44 F.

I don't think this applies to Baja Sur, although I could be wrong.

Butane is also what they use in those "throw-away" camp bottles and cigarette lighters.

woody with a view - 3-20-2006 at 10:04 AM

have even had the "throw away" bottles refilled without a second thought.

turtleandtoad - 3-20-2006 at 10:15 AM

Pomp,
You need Natural Gas in that ice fishing shack. It works down to -244F!:o

Or; as you probably heard from your wife: "What kind of fool goes fishing at -55 degrees" ???? :lol::lol:

On Edit; OOPS it's -258.7 for natural gas

[Edited on 3-20-2006 by turtleandtoad]

Bob and Susan - 3-20-2006 at 10:18 AM

ITEM 45989-1VGA

harborfrieght.com

More BANG for The Buck (or Peso)

MrBillM - 3-20-2006 at 10:40 AM

Yes, you will get more propane into a tank before reaching the overflow vent in colder weather. Just make sure it isn't a whole lot colder.

I once filled two 7.5 gal tanks in Yucca Valley on a Winter weekend with snow on the ground and the air temp in the high 20s. Heading for Baja the following weekend when the weather was warmer, just below Salton City, the tanks started venting off excess gas. Since they were loaded at the nose of the truck bed, I had to pull over and unload the truck to get to them and drain off some gas.

BTW, it is illegal (at least in California) to transport filled propane tanks inside an enclosed camper shell. That's why I load them at the front.

[Edited on 3-20-2006 by MrBillM]

turtleandtoad - 3-20-2006 at 10:57 AM

Pompano,
Been there, done that! Only in Saratoga NY, and not at -55!!!

I much prefer Lake of the Woods in the summer, and also around the Soux Narrows.

Bruce R Leech - 3-20-2006 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Lake of the Woods, Rainy River...God's country...in the SUMMER, like when this photo was taken south of Souix Narrows and Nestor Falls. Great place for kids and dogs..with us to herd them. The Baja of the North.

I thought Lake of the Woods was a nudest camp.:?:

Dave

Baja Bernie - 3-21-2006 at 06:36 AM

I still take my tanks to Rosarito--far cheaper than filling them stateside (why would anyone take full 5 gallon tanks INTO Mexico????)

Pompano---wonderful picture--much nicer than the white ones you have been posting--but then I hate ice unless it is in a glass.

Bob H - 3-21-2006 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
BTW, it is illegal (at least in California) to transport filled propane tanks inside an enclosed camper shell.

WHAT? I don't belive this. My Lance cabover camper is designed to carry two 5-gallon propane tanks (enclosed with access from the side).
Bob H

bajalou - 3-21-2006 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
BTW, it is illegal (at least in California) to transport filled propane tanks inside an enclosed camper shell.

WHAT? I don't belive this. My Lance cabover camper is designed to carry two 5-gallon propane tanks (enclosed with access from the side).
Bob H

That is outside the living space with NO inside access. Many would not consider a compartment accessed only from outside to be considered inside.

Lou is Correct.

MrBillM - 3-21-2006 at 05:32 PM

The "Designed" spaces for Propane tanks in a Camper or motorhome are sealed from inside access (the hole through which the copper tubing passes is even caulked) AND vent to the outside. There is NO DOUBT that carrying filled tanks in an enclosed camper is illegal in California. The Propane dealer has refused to fill them when I brought them down inside a camper, stating that the fine was in the THOUSANDS of dollars.

Well, that is fasinating-------

Barry A. - 3-21-2006 at 05:49 PM

----I always take my propane tanks into be filled inside the trunk of my car, and nobody has ever said boo about it. Of course, I remove them while they are being filled, but then they go right back in the trunk-------so I am breaking the law???

bajalou - 3-21-2006 at 06:21 PM

Don't know if you're breaking a law but it is not SAFE. If a container starts to vent or leak the trunk will fill with gas and any spark means trouble.

turtleandtoad - 3-21-2006 at 06:28 PM

The trunk of my car isn't classed as a "habitable space". Is yours?

Diver - 3-21-2006 at 06:33 PM

This is direct from the California State website:

CA 239-404.569Aa; Exemption from regulations against transporting flammable propane pressure vessels within an enclosed pick-up truck bed.

1. Transporters of such substances as mentioned abaove shall be exempt from prosecution if they leave the f-ing window open.

:P:P:P :lol:

vandenberg - 3-21-2006 at 06:53 PM

Since propane is heavier then air,it should never be in an enclosed,not vented area. Reason you don't find propane on boats. Fumes collect in the bilge and it's asking for trouble.

Bob and Susan - 3-21-2006 at 07:00 PM

i wonder if steve and jan have propane on that floating RV in the middle of the sea of Cortez:lol:

http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3068

i better get that propane bottle off my boat...we use it for the bbq...

we've had some good explosive lightings:lol:
good thing it sits over the edge:lol:

turtleandtoad - 3-21-2006 at 07:05 PM

Maybe the RV drifted out there by itself and they are stranded on a desert island. :O

I sent them an e-mail but they haven't answered yet.

with apologies to Clapton........

capt. mike - 3-22-2006 at 06:43 AM

When you want to cook out..........you have to.....take her out

propane....

Bob and Susan - 3-22-2006 at 06:51 AM

This is funny....

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/ericclapton46.shtml

:lol:

[Edited on 3-22-2006 by Bob and Susan]

Propane on Boats

MrBillM - 3-22-2006 at 10:47 AM

Actually, you do see propane on boats, especially outside of the United States. In the U.S., LNG is usually available in or near the marinas, but in other countries it is harder to find so propane is much more common. A legal installation has the propane in a sealed cabinet with an automatic electric shutoff valve. I leased three different sailboats in the Caribbean and all three used propane for cooking. Like many other dangerous commodities, it is all in how it is handled.