BajaNomad

Toyota Tundra

jack - 4-15-2006 at 09:06 PM

I just saw the new 2007 Toyota Tundra on TV. Very nice looking, new motor and can tow 10,000 lbs. This is the truck Toyota should have built years ago. The only reason for buying GM, Dodge or Ford junk was there wasn't a Toyota or Honda full size pick-up with a decent towing capacity, now its here. Well almost here, they didn't mention when its going to be released but I've heard rumours it will be late this fall.

Tomas Tierra - 4-15-2006 at 09:10 PM

Kinda looks like the new ford, from what I've seen.....You can bet it will cost ya big$$$$$$$$$$$

wornout - 4-15-2006 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jack
I just saw the new 2007 Toyota Tundra on TV. Very nice looking, new motor and can tow 10,000 lbs. This is the truck Toyota should have built years ago. The only reason for buying GM, Dodge or Ford junk was there wasn't a Toyota or Honda full size pick-up with a decent towing capacity, now its here. Well almost here, they didn't mention when its going to be released but I've heard rumours it will be late this fall.

Nope, no Tundra for me, I am gonna hold out for that killer truck coming out of Canada. But until it comes, I will keep driving my 8 year old Dodge junk, with 178,000 miles on it, pulling my travel trailer when we leave Baja for the summers.

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by wornout]

Diver - 4-15-2006 at 09:33 PM

It's still A TOY !
Doesn't have the size or power of any real truck; not even a diesel option.

Sure, I'll tow my camper or horse trailer with it; NOT !
Untested 5.7 liter gas engine and auto trans ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever try to tow something 10,000 lbs for real with anything less than a real truck ? When my 7000 lb camp trailer lost a wheel off the road in Baja, my F350 barely felt it. Wanna try that in a Tundy ? NOT !
Nobody that needs a real truck will buy it.
At least it's built in the US - just the profit goes to Japan......:fire:

Diver - 4-15-2006 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Kinda looks like the new ford, from what I've seen.....

That's either sacrilage or extremely bad eyesite !!
You sure know how to insult a guy !!

wornout - 4-15-2006 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
It's still A TOY !
Doesn't have the size or power of any real truck; not even a diesel option.

Sure, I'll tow my camper or horse trailer with it; NOT !
Untested 5.7 liter gas engine and auto trans ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ever try to tow something 10,000 lbs for real with anything less than a real truck ? When my 7000 lb camp trailer lost a wheel off the road in Baja, my F350 barely felt it. Wanna try that in a Tundy ? NOT !
Nobody that needs a real truck will buy it.
At least it's built in the US - just the profit goes to Japan......:fire:

But how can these trucks have worked like work horses for all these years when they are 'junk' as 'Jack' indicated? Is there a possibility he's never driven anything over an S10 with a case of Brown Derby in the back? :lol:

Bob H - 4-16-2006 at 05:45 AM

I have never been happier than I am with my F250 Super Duty Tritan V-10 Super-cab long bed truck. I'll just stick with what has worked very well for me over the last 20 years! And, that's a FORD! Thank you very much. There is a reason why Ford trucks have been the number one selling truck for over 20 years in a row... :tumble:
Bob H

TMW - 4-16-2006 at 08:40 AM

Jack understand that these Dodge and Ford lovers only drive the paved hwy and graded roads. They make one or two trips a year pulling their 20,000 lb home. They never see the rough back country trails that separate the men from the boys. I test drove a Tundra and it had the best suspension of any full size truck I'd ever drove on hwy 99 thru Bakersfield. I didn't take it off road so I can't say about that. My nephew has one and he drives across the sand dunes at Glamis all the time. As to the new 5.7 V8, I would wait a year or so before buying. Let em get the bugs out first.

JZ - 4-16-2006 at 08:53 AM

I bought a new 3/4 ton Suburban a couple years ago. I have definetly NOT been impressed with the quality.

Diver - 4-16-2006 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
.......Dodge and Ford lovers only drive the paved hwy and graded roads.

Although I don't spend a lot of my play time looking for places to challenge my truck, follow the leader style, it get's serious use. Mountainside construction sites, mud and rocks are a part of daily life here.

It's interesting to note that almost all of the loggers, excavators, farmers and ranchers out here drive Fords with a few Dodges and Chevys mixed in; NO TOYS.

Toys are for people who want to play, want better milage, don't really need a truck, or for the WIFEY !
If I wanted a real play-toy, I'd get a Jeep !

Diver - 4-16-2006 at 09:02 AM

Actually, I'm about to hitch the trailer to the old F250 and go pick up a few tons of manure. After that, we will go up the old 4wd trail into the muddy, boulder strewn hills for a load of firewood. Any Toys want to volunteer to haul my trailer up the hill, through the mud and across the creek ?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, enough fun on the 'puter for one morning..adios

Pompano - 4-16-2006 at 09:41 AM

think I will go fishing.

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by Pompano]

TMW - 4-16-2006 at 10:00 AM

See what I mean, a big Dodge and a big trailer on a smooth dirt road. I'm only funnin with with the big truck boys.

JZ I bought a 2004 GMC Z71 in March of 04. In June 04 the lites for the 4x4 switch array all lit up. Dealer reloaded the software to fix. Last summer the check engine lite came on. Dealer changed the charcoal can and a relay. Last month the speedometer went nuts and they replaced the instrument cluster. On the way home I noticed the temp gauge didn't work, back to the dealer for another instrument cluster. This time the business odomometer didn't work. It turn out that it was not turned on. Simple pushing of the right combination of buttons on the steering wheel. However it took the service manager to do it. But the owners manual doesn't say you can turn this stuff on or off. I got worried since I got 33,000 miles on it and the warranty is 3 yrs and 36,000 miles, so I bought an extra 3 years and 45,000 miles of warranty. By then I figure all will work or I'll replace it. Maybe with a new Tundra.

Tomas Tierra - 4-16-2006 at 10:15 AM

I guess it also depends on how much crap you want to bring along to baja..

Dog, Wife,Cooler of beer, and some surf and sailboards. Fishin rods and the pop top camper, occasionally the tin boat on top..If you really NEED a fifth wheel trailer and such then I guess the big truck is for you....I bought this little baby with 100,000 miles on it and put on another100,000 on it..A little slow up the grades with a load but big deal...NEVER saw a road I couldn't make and NEVER got left busted anywhere...

TOYOTA LA MEJOR!! Just ask your best Mexican friend

'87 Toyota custom cab

Tomas Tierra - 4-16-2006 at 10:16 AM

jack - 4-16-2006 at 01:00 PM

Oh my, I never realized you GM, Ford and Dodge boys were so defensive. I've owned GM's and Fords all my life. My last pick up, a 3/4 ton GM lasted 18 years and was a good truck. Unfourtunately the big 3 haven't learned a thing from the Japanese when it comes to quality and reliability, in fact their vehicles have got worse. My latest 2001 GM had to go in for warranty work 20 times, now that its off warranty I get to fix it myself, and believe me the problems haven't stopped. Every time I go to the Baja I'm always wondering if I'll make it back to the States, never mind all the way to Canada!
As far as supporting North American companies I'm all for it. The fact of the matter is that most Japanese vehicles are built in the US or Canada and a lot of American vehicles are being built in foreign Countries, mostly Mexico.

bajalou - 4-16-2006 at 01:16 PM

Quote:

As far as supporting North American companies I'm all for it. The fact of the matter is that most Japanese vehicles are built in the US or Canada and a lot of American vehicles are being built in foreign Countries, mostly Mexico.

And those Dodges belong to a German company.

jack - 4-16-2006 at 02:09 PM

A mine (largest copper mine in North America) near where I live has been using North American trucks for over 30 years. They are so disappointed with reliability from the trucks they presently use (GMC) that they put in an order for 4 Nissan Titans to test. The GM's have been breaking down so much and so often that they say it is costing them production.

jack - 4-16-2006 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Toyota had their problems too,especially with their V-6 and head gaskets.Automatic trannys also.
My dad had a Camry that blew a timing belt at 50,000.

Every vehicle is bound to have an odd problem. The thing with GM, Ford and Dodge is that they have so many problems a lot of owners are on a first name basis with the mechanics at the dealership.:spingrin:

JZ - 4-16-2006 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
See what I mean, a big Dodge and a big trailer on a smooth dirt road. I'm only funnin with with the big truck boys.

JZ I bought a 2004 GMC Z71 in March of 04. In June 04 the lites for the 4x4 switch array all lit up. Dealer reloaded the software to fix. Last summer the check engine lite came on. Dealer changed the charcoal can and a relay. Last month the speedometer went nuts and they replaced the instrument cluster. On the way home I noticed the temp gauge didn't work, back to the dealer for another instrument cluster. This time the business odomometer didn't work. It turn out that it was not turned on. Simple pushing of the right combination of buttons on the steering wheel. However it took the service manager to do it. But the owners manual doesn't say you can turn this stuff on or off. I got worried since I got 33,000 miles on it and the warranty is 3 yrs and 36,000 miles, so I bought an extra 3 years and 45,000 miles of warranty. By then I figure all will work or I'll replace it. Maybe with a new Tundra.

Transmission went out after 20K miles. AC went out. Both fixed under warranty.

Warranty expired. AC went out again, about $1,500 to fix. Sunroof started to leak, costing about $2,000. Something is now hosed with the steering. Got a first quote from the dealer asking about $2,000 to fix that, but found a cheaper source. It will still cost me about $1K. There has been some other smaller stuff also. This is all under 70K miles.

Roberto - 4-16-2006 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
I bought a new 3/4 ton Suburban a couple years ago. I have definetly NOT been impressed with the quality.

I sold my 3500 Suburban with 454 in 2000. It was a great vehicle, taking six people down the unpaved Baja Roads without a hitch. Plenty of power, too. Then I bought my Albemarle and decided to pull it to San Carlos in late June of 2000. The boat, on the trailer. weighs 14,000 lbs. The valiant 454 tried, but it was clearly overloaded. I was getting 5 MPG on the way to Nogales, and the tail was wagging the dog a little, but not too badly. We made it there and back, with some issues, like the airlines to the RideRite bags melting from the heat of the manifold, and a coule other small things, but we made it back.

The day after, I went down to the Ford dealership and bought a Crew Cab, Long Bed diesel-powered F350 DRW and haven't looked back since. That was 110K miles ago. The Ford pulls that load without breaking a sweat - a totally different experience that pulling it with the Suburban.

The DRW has now been heavily modified and is a SRW with a 6" lift, 37" Mud-Terrains, custom suspenstion yadayadayada ... and it still pulls the boat without breaking a sweat, though I do that much less nowadays. I have pulled that boat and my trailer up and down Highway 1 more times than I can remember, and in all that time has had no mechanical issues whatsoever. It'a great feeling to be able to tow basically anything and know that your vehicle is in control, rather than the other way around.

As far as Dodge and Ford lovers only liking smooth roads - :lol::lol::lol::lol: . You should tell that to the BFG crew - that's right, Fords and Dodges!

One thing I will say - while the Suburban was a great truck that performed very well, the fit and finish have nothing to do with what I have found in the ford. Stuff was rattling free the first couple of months while six years later on the F350, everything is still where it is supposed to be.

I can't think of ANYONE(I know) who drives serious off-roads can say they never had a prob.

Sharksbaja - 4-16-2006 at 11:40 PM

Quote:
Smooth roads,tell that to Tim Sanchez aka Desert Bull.

hehehe

and if they say that their twuck is perfect and better than thou, well.....how many tricks can yer doggy do??

Turning Japanese I hardly think so!:lol:

TMW - 4-17-2006 at 07:22 AM

This is only a guess, but I don't think Desert Bull has taken his Dodge over the summit. I have taken my Toyota over the summit.

Roberto - 4-17-2006 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Kent Kroeker raced the Baja 1000 with his "Stock full" class Cummins powered Dodge.Came in 3rd in class and while everybody else put their vehicles on trailers,he drove his home from La Paz.

While "Stock Full" sounds good, these are hardly "stock" vehicles in terms of suspension, cages and other goodies. The engine is a different discussion, but any modern pickup desel could do that part.

Sharksbaja - 4-18-2006 at 12:00 AM

"stock upper and lower control arms"

what's that! :lol::lol:

TMW - 4-18-2006 at 06:50 AM

Many stock trucks can run over the race courses but would you want to at speed. A long wheel base truck is going to get a lot of bumps and bangs from rocks etc. If you've got a nice truck it's one thing to run down to Gonzaga bay but something totally different to run over the summit or the Pole Line road. The stock race classes are not stock. If you don't believe that go to the next race and take a close look. Unless he doesn't really care I doubt that the chevy driver will go back on the Pole Line road again except in a smaller vehicle. I'll take my Toyota places I won't take my Z71. Mainly because it's smaller and two, it's older. If I get a dent or damage something on the trail I'm not as concerned, other than to get back home.

TMW - 4-18-2006 at 07:02 AM

I always thought that Ivan Stewart's Toyota was a perfect race car for off road. Well balanced and not too big. While he dominated the 500 race year after year, he never really excelled in the 1000 (2 or 3 OA). He may have done better with the Tundra version had he not retired or should I say PCI left off road.

Roberto - 4-18-2006 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
I agree that "stock full" is not an off the show room stock truck.But they are very limited in what modifications they are able to do.I don't have a SCORE rules book in front of me but steering components and driveline have to remain stock and are restricted in many suspension parts.I know they have to use stock upper and lower control arms.As far as full cages,that is a safety item,same as I'm sure they have to use fuel bladders.
You have to admit that driving it to Ensenada,running the Baja 1000 and driving it back is still pretty impressive.

Absolutely. I'm just saying that the additional (and I saw the truck while it was being prepped) goodies on there would make survival on the course quite a bit more likely than a true "stock" vehicle. And once he's there the Cummins will take him home for sure!

SoCalAl - 4-18-2006 at 07:42 AM

I guess I will stick to my 1988 Izuzu Trooper II until I can get a hold of a Burro:lol:. Maybe I can use my 1975 VW Bug or how about 1999 Ford Explorer or 1981 Checy 3/4 ton van. It doesn't matter what you drive!! Just as long as you can get that sucker :light:to make it back to the border and then you feel the relief once you cross into the states. Through out the years I have driven all kinds of junk into the Baja Desert and have had an occational burp but I tend to stay with-in a 20 mile radias from the main highway. I am not running the Baja 500 or anything like it so pretty much most places we go are not that difficult to reach even with a regular car. I guess if you want to take your whole house with you, then by a Semi diesel that outta do it??:lol::lol: That is if money is not an issue..??:light:

Just kidding guys, but really who cares what anyone drives. different strokes for different folks. The bottom line is getting there and back safely and if you manage that then what difference does it make. American or foreign, we live in an economy where foreign is not going away. Buy American fine but how can you truely get through life without buying something forein. For example, just a question, Do you travel into Baja and buy the occational Taco or Pemex gas? :lol: There you have it.. Stop the foreign or domestic non-sense and enjoy life, most of us have less than 50 years left on this wonderful earth and for all you believers, there is no borders in Heaven. Just a thought..

Sharksbaja - 4-18-2006 at 11:43 AM

Just kidding guys, but really who cares what anyone drives.

ARE YOU KIDDING? Good grief, some are possessed! (but I won't mention names););)

We're all havin' fun there.....right???

Hey hows' bout this ....instead of a "Semi diesel" they come up with a "Hemi diesel" make everyone happy.:lol:

jack - 4-18-2006 at 06:03 PM

If we all had the same type of vehicle, we wouldn't have anything to argue about.

If anyone wants an eyeopener, have a look at the latest Consumer Reports Car Guide and see how American vehicles place against the Japanese.

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2006 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Would I take my 1 ton Dodge where Ken takes his Rubicon?No way!
Why not?? It's fun! :lol:

Diver - 4-18-2006 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Ford trucks got higher ratings than the Tundra and Nissan Titan.

Diver - 4-18-2006 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Ford trucks got higher ratings than the Tundra and Nissan Titan.

Diver - 4-18-2006 at 08:17 PM

Need I go on ??? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jack - 4-19-2006 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
It was an eye opener! First of all I don't lend much credence in the "Consumer's Guide" as far as vehicle purchases.Maybe if I was buying a new dishwasher.
Chevy and Ford trucks got higher ratings than the Tundra and Nissan Titan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Need I go on ??? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Are you guys reading the same Consumer Reports that I am?
The Titan didn't do to well in CR but we were originally talking about the Toyota. GM, Ford & Dodge full sized pick ups didn't even come close to the Tundra in Reliability, Satisfaction and Depreciation. CR "Recommended" the Tundra for purchase, they didn't recommend the GM, Ford & Dodge (they did recommend the Avalanche, but its a "different" type of truck)
As far as CR goes I do believe that they test all vehicles equally. That being said a vehicle that tests well is no good at all to someone if it can't do what you want it to, such as pull a heavy load. But, a vehicle that is unreliable is no good either, no matter how well it can pull that heavy load!

The eye openers in CR are:
-The Best Models in 10 Categories: All 10 winners were Japanese
-Vehicle problem rates as they age: Toyota & Honda have far, far fewer problems then GM, Ford & Dodge as they get older
-Best used cars: Out of 62 CR Good Bets 53 were Japanese & only 7 were GM, Ford & Dodge
-Worst used cars: Out of 34 CR Bad Bets 21 were GM, Ford & Dodge and there were 0 Japanese Bad Bets

Now lets get back to pick ups.
CR reliability ratings for full size pick ups (4wd & 2wd):
GM - worse than average to average
Dodge - average
Ford - worse than average
Toyota - much better than average

CR reliability for mid sized pick ups:
GM - much worse than average
Dodge - worse than average
Ford - average
Toyota - average

I hate to bad mouth North American vehicles, but the facts don't lie. GM, Ford & Dodge keep telling us that they have consistently been getting better, but that hasn't been my experience from the vehicles I owned and from what I have read.

What a croc

Sharksbaja - 4-19-2006 at 05:55 PM

Sorry, just don't believe all that. I just don't see THAT many Dodges on the racks I drive by everyday. And they're at the dealership. I do see a lot of SUVs and minivans in there tho.:lol:
I think CP needs an "R" in there for the reviewers!:lol:
--------
Here's how I see it:

Now lets get back to pick ups.
CPR reliability ratings for full size pick ups (4wd & 2wd):
Toyota - much more time needed to evaluate
GM - still trin' to be tough
Ford - not bad but not king
Dodge - ahem, amen.

:P

[Edited on 4-20-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Bob H - 4-19-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
If anyone wants an eyeopener, have a look at the latest Consumer Reports Car Guide and see how American vehicles place against the Japanese.

I'm not usually don't give a rat's a** but Consumer Reports is a RAG! Kinda like an Enquire rag. Don't even go there. They SUCK.
Bob H

Sharksbaja - 4-19-2006 at 08:15 PM

Only a pussy has no probs! Er, I mean.....uh....ya know those fancily painted Hummers runnin' round the foothills of LA all gussied up? They suck! Who cares where they were made!!!!!:P

TMW - 4-20-2006 at 07:08 AM

The last Dodge I had was a 2001 2500 4x4 with a V10. Where should I begin.

Steering box shaft broke, good thing it was in the parking lot.
3 times it was in the shop for lost of the front drive.
Headlights sometimes went out when left turn signal on.
When coming to a stop there sometimes was a click or pop sound from the drive train. Never did find it. Never got louder.
Several times it lost power in the snow in 4x4H. worked OK in 4x4L This may have been one of those times where the anti-lock brakes was interferring???
When hitting the brakes the wheels would lock up before the anti-lock feature would take over. So you had that moment of squeal.
Had the oddest headlight system. Normally +power is suppied to the lamps that are selected, high or low beam. On this truck it had +power on the high beams when the lights were turned off. I assumed it took the ground away. Never did get my driving lights to work as I wanted them.

It had the roughest ride of all the trucks I drive. Probably due to solid front axle. It did drive good when I had 300 gallons of water in the back.

Got rid of it last year.

[Edited on 4-20-2006 by TW]

David K - 4-20-2006 at 07:12 AM

I didn't know you could get 'That Great GM Feeling' with a Dodge!??:lol:;)

jack - 4-20-2006 at 10:46 AM

Well what do you know, after 3 forum pages David K finally joined in.;)

TW, what did you replace your Dodge with?

Sharksbaja - 4-20-2006 at 11:40 AM

I don't think you are alone athough you may have had more issues than most. It was not a good year for Dodge twucks. Particularily with the steeing and ft suspension. I am confident these probs have been resolved . Maybe except for this:

"When coming to a stop there sometimes was a click or pop sound from the drive train"

That's what my failed u-joint started doing also.

TMW - 4-20-2006 at 06:13 PM

Jack the Dodge was my company truck we used primarily to go to the transmitter site. The GM wanted a new vehicle so we traded the dodge in for a lease on a 06 Honda Ridgeline. He wanted to carry his young sons motorcycle. He gave me his 2004 Chevy Tahoe, it's also a lease. I like the Tahoe because it's easy to park and is much quicker than the Dodge was. There are a couple of things I don't really care for like the electric seat just doesn't fit right. The position of the steering wheel and brake pedal and seat are odd and I'm a short guy. My 2004 GMC Z71 has a much better fit and it has a manual seat. I thought the GM trucks and big SUVs had the same front ends like seat, steering and brake pedal position but I don't think they do. Also the radio volume knob gets hit almost everytime I pull the shift lever down. The other thing I don't care for is the exhaust is loud. If your in the back seat it's hard to carry on a conversation with people in the front east. The lease is up on the Tahoe in November and I'm thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma like David. I'll be ready to retire when the lease on it is up and I'll buy it from the company. I only put about 6,000 miles or less a year on the company vehicle and I'm the primary driver.

Shark the sound was alway the same from the time we bought the truck until we traded it in. It was a low milage truck, about 25,000 over 4 1/2 years we had it. The sound wasn't annoying but you did feel it and hear it, like something shifted or a valve turned on or off.

rts551 - 4-20-2006 at 07:23 PM

1992 F-250 Diesel. - 270,000 miles needed brakes at 150,000 a clutch at 200,000. sold.

2002 f-250. 93,000... nothing but routine maintenance.

Lance camper on the 92... trailer for the 2002... Neither stayed on the hiway.

I like Toyotas but they can't do the things a real truck can.