BajaNomad

New dictionary

Oso - 5-7-2006 at 12:22 PM

For those advanced enough and interested enough to want to find out the "correct" term and avoid those pochismos we've recently discussed, there is "Diccionario Panhispanico de Dudas".

It is not an English-Spanish dictionary, although it discusses many English terms- mainly to explain how to say the same thing in Spanish and avoid their incursion into the King's Spanish. You need to be reasonably competent in reading Spanish to use it.

Example: "e-mail" = correo electronico.

It's available from Amazon. I'm ordering mine from a bookstore to save shipping (usually ends up about the same).

You can read about it at the Royal Academy website:

http://www.rae.es/

Oso - 5-7-2006 at 06:53 PM

Well, I didn't have to wait long. Barnes and Noble had a copy which I bought today. I was a bit surprised to learn that the academy does not necessarily reject all "extrangerismos" out of hand. It divides them into necessary and unnecessary foreignisms. "e-mail" is apparently unnecessary because there is a workable Spanish equivalent- correo electronico. The fact that the foreign term is shorter doesn't necessarily mean it's necessary. Only terms that have no equivalent and require lengthy explanations.

The first thing I looked for was "ride" or "raite". I found "raid" (pronounced in Spanish like ride in English) and its 3rd meaning:

La voz raid es, por otra parte, la adaptaci?n gr?fica de la voz inglesa ride, que se usa en M?xico y el ?rea centroamericana con el sentido de 'viaje gratuito en un vehiculo', normalmente en las construcciones dar o pedir raid:

Note "M?xico y el ?rea centroamericana". Not a word about pochos.

So, since they didn't list any readily available Spanish equivalent, I guess the Royal Academy considers "raid" a necessary foreignism. Jau iu laik dem apples?:lol:

[Edited on 5-8-2006 by Oso]

Dave - 5-7-2006 at 06:57 PM

When you get it, look up "paperclip". ;)

Oso - 5-7-2006 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
When you get it, look up "paperclip". ;)

Not in there. LaRousse says it's a "sujetapapeles".

You've heard something different?

Al G - 5-7-2006 at 07:58 PM

In my book:
Paper Clip= clip
Paper fasteners= techuelas para papel
Thumb tacks= chinchetas

losfrailes - 5-8-2006 at 09:38 AM

Aqui clip is clip.

clip

Oso - 5-8-2006 at 08:58 PM

Apparently the "paper" has been dropped and "cleep" is one of the foreignisms that are not superfluous:

Voz tomada del ingl?s clip, 'peque?o alambre doblada varias veces sobre s? mismo, que sirve para sujetar papeles'. Es anglicismo asentado.