BajaNomad

loreto bay is real! nay sayers pls. read....

capt. mike - 11-25-2003 at 02:43 PM

Friends of Loreto Bay,

Great News!!! Our first release down in Loreto Bay, on on Mexico's Baja Peninsula last weekend, was an outstanding success. We exceeded our expectations of selling 40 homes, and sold 57 homes [including 10% deposits for the December mini-launch to come] and had more buyers then we had homes and sites available. The next major launch will take place on February 14th in Loreto.

The Selection Day Event was intense and exciting. Many new relationships were formed, and some people who did not even know each other before the trip, ended up buying homes together. We celebrated on the beach, danced under the stars, and the Founders' Neighborhood community was truly born.

If you are interested in hearing about the Villages of Loreto Bay, and on getting on our Priority List for the next launch, please let me know. The Spanish Colonial architecture planned for Loreto Bay, the village plans, and the natural beauty of the area are astounding! The local community of Loreto is eagerly anticipating the job opportunities. We will be working in partnership with community members, and will be forming a Foundation to assist in providing affordable housing for the workers, for job creation, training in various industries and trades, micro-lending, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Have a great holiday!

Warm regards,

Margaret Leck

Sales Associate

The Villages of Loreto Bay

21 - 21 Dallas Road

Victoria, BC V8V 4Z9

(250) 412-0971

1-86-MY LORETO 1-866-956-7386

Yes, it's true!

Sallysouth - 11-25-2003 at 03:49 PM

Hola Capt. I have just been reading the bad vs. good about this project. Loreto needs some help, financially, but if done as they say they will it may be a very nice community. I'll be there soon and plan on spending some time there so I have a feeling I will get the low down on the whole shamole.Who's to say , unless you are there first hand and see what is actually going on! Thanks for your report and I will try to report while I am there as to what I see going on. It's not a CABO type of plan, thats for sure. Thanks for your help in the past re:flying down. Got some really cheap tickets! Gal Sal

Skeet/Loreto - 11-25-2003 at 05:27 PM

Capt. Mike. Can you get me an idea of when the first house will be completed with running Water. Thanks Skeet

Loreto Bay

capn.sharky - 11-25-2003 at 06:32 PM

Is this down in Nopolo. What are the price ranges. Where do we get info. I heard a little about this while I was down there. Tell me more. capn.sharky@verizon.net

Anonymous - 11-25-2003 at 07:48 PM

www.loretobay.com

Loreto Bay Site.

Annie T. - 11-25-2003 at 11:05 PM

Lovely site, a lot of sales talk,; not much solid information. Annie T.

There sure are a lot of Americans pimping properties in BCS!

Stephanie Jackter - 11-25-2003 at 11:26 PM

It's OK if that's your thing, but the promotions should be moved to the business pages of this board. It is not appropriate for the General Baja Discussion section. - Stephanie

Loreto Bay

Phil S - 11-26-2003 at 06:20 AM

I don't see any problem about this subject being here! Seems to be alot of the "normals" are interested in what's happening. Plus I appreciated Ms Leck letting us know how their project was getting along, rather than "rely" on rumors & spec.

loreto bay

capt. mike - 11-26-2003 at 06:56 AM

Steph - I'm not "promoting " this - only posted it as "general info" for "discourse, hence the gen discuss board.

This had been debated here on a prior thread which i found interesting.

i won't be buying there but i support those who choose to and then support the MMLT economy!

Skeet/Loreto - 11-26-2003 at 08:33 AM

Steph. I will ask you not to use the Pi........ word. That is such bad launage for a Lady with your Class!!Skeet/

Time will tell about Loreto Bay. I do hope it succeeds. Did pou notice the short statment about doing something for the workers and their children.? Remember the three things that I would ask them to do with the Project? Hope so. But being some what doublful I will await the time the Money is coming this way instead of going to Canada

bajalera - 11-26-2003 at 08:56 AM

Capt. Mike:
So you're not promoting anything? Well, "We exceeded our expectations of selling 30 homes" certainly gives the impression that you're not exactly a disinterested bystander.

[Edited on 11-26-2003 by bajalera]

Anonymous - 11-26-2003 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Capt. Mike:
So you're not promoting anything? Well, "We exceeded our expectations of selling 30 homes" certainly gives the impression that you're not exactly a disinterested bystander.

[Edited on 11-26-2003 by bajalera]

I think those are the words of Margaret Leck, not Mike.

Anonymous - 11-26-2003 at 10:23 AM

Mike, you support those who choose to buy a home in the new town - then, as I've suspected, you're opposed to preserving Baja's precious resources and incomparable landscape, and join the greedy developers in their quest for exploiting the land. You can?t have it both ways, but then you?re a developer too, right? There is no other motive other than personal profit for this development. This is not about the economy of Loreto; the development is not borne of a need for housing. It?s the same ticky-tacky development that?s going up in Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Bernardino, etc. The only difference is that Loreto Bay is a priceless, scenic wonder which should be preserved, including it?s backdrop ? not cluttered up with this pseudo-euro trash (oh, ?Spanish Colonial? ? like the Spaniards hold some endearment in Baja.)
Quoted from the site: ?Our authentic pedestrian community includes a village center with a beach club, an acre of pools, spa, fitness center, shops, restaurants and hotel.? A fitness center. Gag me. Shops? If you?re living there, why do you need cutesy shops? Bet me a dozen tortillas will cost $1.50 at one of their cutesy shops. An ACRE of pools? I guess the Bay just isn?t big enough to swim in ? oh, yeah, it doesn?t have chlorine. Certainly don?t want to get any sand on your feet either ? and of course, the water supply is limitless.
Quoted: ?This is Loreto Bay, our unique Baja seaside community with villages of beautiful homes, narrow streets that are a pleasure to walk, an emphasis on nature and culture, endless recreational activity, all set beside the waters of a national marine park in the Sea of Cortez that Jacques Cousteau called "the world's aquarium." That speaks for itself ? ?beside the waters of a national marine park.? Doesn?t that ring a bell? Quoted: ?Loreto Bay will enhance the habitat and nurture the bio-diversity of the land it occupies? ?Scuse me? How will a small town nurture the bio-diversity of the land? Pure BS.
Quoted: ?Perma-culture, organic farming and organic orcharding to be established as an integral part of the development.? Please tell me why there are going to be organic farms and orchards using more land and water, where the vision is to ?nurture the bio-diversity of the land. I guess that?s where the plan to have ?A solid waste reduction program for recycling wherever possible.? (Let?s have an orchard and dump the chit there.)
Quoted: ?5,000 permanent jobs in hospitality, local businesses, eco-tourism, agriculture, local manufacturing, the arts and artisan fields.? EXACTLY how are these jobs allocated? I doubt this statement has much validity ? possibly in 2025, after Nopolo has turned into Rosarito.

Residents will apparently be segregated from "real" Baja California, within their fantasy village full of swimming pools and golf courses, rules and regulations. One can only swim and golf so much ? oh yeah, there?s the ?gathering places for lifelong learning, conferences and the arts.? Well, what else are you going to do in your little town of leisure, except learn to knit, watch movies and pee away your time bickering about the rules and regulations in one of the conference rooms. No garages, no boat storage. That?s one good thing - no gasoline spilling into the bay/oil and gas pollution from 2-stroke engines? But noise pollution from jet skis, water skiing? Apparently basic foodstuffs will not be available, or if so, will likely be sold at inflated prices. The residences are so close together, there is relatively little privacy. There will have to be a homeowners' association which will be expected to be administered similar to the business practices of the US or Canada. But Mexico is known for its graft and nepotism. A lifestyle of fees, regulations, board meetings, neighborhood politics, etc. ? ain?t America grand?

After all is said and one, it is planned and will become a private enclave for those who know nothing about Baja. I have nothing but contempt for the developers and the project. They've gotten special favors from FONATUR and are exploiting this very special site for their own gain. They're making a 500% profit from the homes - and they're lauded for throwing a few crumbs to the locals in the way of housing and jobs. My only wish is for a big hurricane to blow it all away.
Tread lightly.

Skeet/Loreto - 11-26-2003 at 12:56 PM

Anon: I am disapointed that you are so afraid of your opinions that you would not give your name but I must finally realise that there are "Fraidy Cats" all around.

I liked the format of your discussion and they way it was printed but it has some glaring errors!

Their is a Sewer system in Loreto which for the past 10 years has enabled Loreto to be a Marine Sancutary. If there is money put into a good system then I do not think the Waters would be damages such as in Victoria BC.
Now if you are talking about all those Houses destroying the Beauty of the Bay I would have to disagree and I think your narrow minded words about what it will turn into. I agree that Cabo has turned
into a bad place of Bad People seeking the things those kind like but I do not see that the Waters have been damaged.

If you read my original Post about this undertaking you will see that I am not against it for the building of Houses but that I think it is a Scam and will contunie to think so until such time as the Money comes back to Loreto. We shall see.

I have spent many years living in Loreto,I know its people and I have seen what Fishing income has done as well as Americanos coming in building Houses in town.
I would hope that the money coming in wwill be able to bring better Medical into the Area as "Ericka's" little sister has a roving Eye[goesback into her head} which could be taken careof very easely!
There have been some issues in the Past that has caused the Medical Care to be some less than you find in Constitutuion!
Fly in to Loreto and within a few miles you can be in a very lonesome place.
We shall see in about a year from Now.

Maybe that Capt. Mike would like them to stay there instead of going to Mulege/
Skeet/Loreto.

anonymous, we'll never agree on this, and

capt. mike - 11-26-2003 at 01:07 PM

who cares??!! I have some things to add though after reading your obstreporous whine...

The market will decide this issue, not you nor I. Yes, .....
I have developed property and I currently work FOR a developer building affordable housing in SD county where home prices are ridiculous, we're making a lot of people happy and giving them a chance at having equity and enjoying value.

I'm proud of this. We go through hoops you probably don't comprehend just to get the entitlements to develop raw property to which we hold G.D. fee title! that means whatever the environmentalists' lobbies require we adhere to - open space, restrictions to hillside, creating new riparian, school fees contribution etc. - the list is almost limitless and cost a fortune to comply with!

The earth will last a lot of eons more no matter what us humans do, and it will constantly change regardless of input of, by etc. its habitants, human, animal or plant. Get over it - baja will not even exist in geological time of the future. If you want to "preserve" some thing that's going to change anyway, put your money where your boca is , buy it, and rope it off and create the preserve for perpituity! If its so important as a seperate area, why doesn't Mexico do it - stop its potential for fair, managed growth?

That would be fine. if not, let the market , as it will anyway, decide what happens. You cannot control it no matter how much you'd like to unless you have capital......if you don't, don't try to play in this arena, it will eat your lunch big time!!

and BTW - i still have no vested interest in its success as a stateside developer or not! as i said - if they had my main interest at heart - an airstrip - i'd look at buying since the MMLT airport is too far away. Otherwise, i hope it goes well for those who are putting real $$ down to create and buy a piece.

[Edited on 11-26-2003 by capt. mike]

Hey Steph,

Anonymous - 11-26-2003 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie Jackter
It's OK if that's your thing, but the promotions should be moved to the business pages of this board. It is not appropriate for the General Baja Discussion section. - Stephanie

Amen!

the cmmercial posting policies on this and freds board is absurd

Freds board and this one do not delete commercial listings of those they decide to promote,

the ones they dont like, they delete.

at least this one is honest enough to be commercial itself

Arnold needs to be told about freds boards...paid for by the citizens of the State of California...not a penny of Freddys money, such a deal, eh?!?

then fred goes down south and pimps all day long

Skeet/Loreto - 11-26-2003 at 02:22 PM

Shame ! Shame ! on you Steph.!!
Skeet

Do you think that was me, Skeet?

Stephanie Jackter - 11-26-2003 at 06:28 PM

If so, what a dopey conclusion! I don't post anonymously. I don't even use a handle! Don't you get it yet?

And when I say something, I don't mince words. That letter is meant to pimp property. Nothing more, nothing less. Since Mike posted it, my comments were directed at him that he should simply move it to a more appropriate venue.

To anonymous: I didn't hit the report button, feeling that Mike should take responsibility for moving this thread to a more appropriate heading himself, but I assume that if someone reported it, Doug would probably move it.

This board allows a level of freedom of speech that has been wrenched out of Fred's board in a big way over the last year and a half. I see no comparison.

I do have problems with the favoritism I see on Fred's board, but with this board now flourishing, I know where I can go to be heard so it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

By the way, I am making an exception right now. Unless it's for posting a news article, I have little respect or desire to respond to anonymous posts. Put your moniker where your mouth is or no matter how much I relate to what you have to say, I'm not likely to reply. - Stephanie

Deary

Anonymous - 11-26-2003 at 07:27 PM

Then take your blinders off deary, because Mike posted/pimped his airline on Freds board and its still there! Many commercial postings there, its allowed as long as you are in with fred/tim/whoever

I agree with you that commercial postings should be seperated.

Good not to mince words, but know thy subject deary.

Titled on Freds as...

Anonymous - 11-26-2003 at 07:34 PM

"Air tour campanions wanted".

Freds board non-commercial,....... PLEASE!

Paid for by TAXPAYERS is closer to the truth.:O

Obstroporous??????

capn.sharky - 11-26-2003 at 07:34 PM

I am glad it is out of town. Americans and Cannucks that want to live with each other deserve what they get. But, I get lost when people start using big words that I can't understand. Obstroporous is just too much for my simple mind to comprehend. :moon:

Your obnoxious, mean spirited words

Phil S - 11-26-2003 at 08:12 PM

Anon. You sound like a very mean spirited, unfriendly, opinionated, EnviroN-zi (as Skeet would describe you) person. I challenge you to read absolutely every item that loretobay has to offer on their website. And I don't just mean what you have "gleaned" for your own benefit for rebuttel. I personally read it all!!! And I mean down to the sites that describe the title insurance company and their representative Stewart Title Co. Plus, the info on the board of directors, and the officers, and the companies objectives. I did all that before I expressed an opinion on this matter. Stephanie. Have you done the same, before giving your opinion???? To do so would impress everyone more if you'd "own up to it or not"!!! I value your opinions, just be sure you've done your homework before jumping into something that "could be beneficial for the area". And as far as "pimping" the "project". Capt. Mike was never "pimping it, in my estimation. I would think that it is "expressing interest in something that may or maynot happen down here. How do you consider him "pimping" it? I'd say if he was a saleman, partner, or profiting from this I might agree with you. But He isn't!!!! "You can live your life for yourself, but you can't expect others to live their lives for you"!!! Looks to me like alot of people expect alot, from other people, to me.

Skeet/Loreto - 11-26-2003 at 09:54 PM

Phil S: Phil I did not use "'N-zi" that was some one else I used "Nuts"Skeet

I have a name. It's Stephanie. Too bad I can't call you by yours.

Stephanie Jackter - 11-26-2003 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Then take your blinders off deary, because Mike posted/pimped his airline on Freds board and its still there! Many commercial postings there, its allowed as long as you are in with fred/tim/whoever

I agree with you that commercial postings should be seperated.

Good not to mince words, but know thy subject deary.

Well, actually I can, Nosy....and if you'd paid a bit of attention to my post, you would realize that I was agreeing with you about Fred's board! Just not about your criticism of this one. Get a name and get a life, Dreary. - Stephanie Jackter

[Edited on 11-27-2003 by Stephanie Jackter]

The post was nothing more than an advertisement, Phil!

Stephanie Jackter - 11-26-2003 at 11:06 PM

Whether he wrote it or not, he posted it under his name. It's a sales pitch and it belongs on a seperate page. Punto. - Stephanie

This whole page

Mike Humfreville - 11-27-2003 at 02:44 AM

is turning into constant argue. There was nothing wrong on this thread except people looking for something to pick on. Keep it up folks and nomads will fade into obscurity. A few of us need to stop looking for the bad stuff where you can find a chunky in the armor and attack. Capt Mike cut and pasted a piece of information that had been raised hundreds of times amongst those of us that care about Baja California. There is no marketing in any of the posts on this thread. What does exist here though, is a distinct ability to either read a post with little attention so we can make a witty rapid reply, or to lack comprehension of the subject in the first place. We all need to learn a little tolerance and yes that includes me.

But it does occur to me, recur, actually, something I read and thought about for many years and incidents regarding the Anglo mind set of ?go for the jugular.? Perhaps it?s in our genes (Jeans?). Anglos apparently are what some of us might consider ?overly-aggressive? from a global sociological viewpoint. COMMENTS? Perhaps we can learn based on the open aggressions we encounter during written debate? In my mind, if I were educated in the proper discipline I would treasure the emerging social behavior enabled by the Internet as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! As I have read nightly the recently posted scientific information and expeditions regarding Baja California, Mexico as history and with relish, I wonder if the evolution-of-the-moment isn?t happening more in our own backyards. In several hundred years we?ll all be reading about ourselves. What a rip (RIP?).

Since we all seem to have so much time, perhaps each of us could go back and review this entire thread and see where things might improve. Now that?s our assignment for tonight. The test will be administered tomorrow.

Except that tomorrow is actually today I see by the clock at the bottom right of my screen. Thanksgiving ought to be a little more gracious (gracias) than my getting all riled up over a simple post. A respectful good night and sincere Happy Thanksgiving, the thought of which was started by just jerry.

misquote

Phil S - 11-27-2003 at 03:33 AM

Skeet. I apologize for that one. I'm sorry. Guess I've been reading too many threads, bobbins, needles, etc. When that happens, "baja brain" sets in. Looks like I need to "push away" from the computer more often and "smell the air" instead.

jeans - 11-27-2003 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville
the Anglo mind set of ?go for the jugular.? Perhaps it?s in our genes (Jeans?).

Now you're picking on me? What did I do? :lol::lol:

I saw nothing wrong with Capt. Mike's post...it was just a simple.."Hey..look what I found about this project everyone's been talking about".

People need to pay attention a little more before flying off. There were a lot of misquotes... like the poster that thought Mike wrote the piece and another misquoting Stephanie.

And when did marketing become synonymous with pimping? And what's up with the poster harping on what goes on at Fred's board? Sheeesh!

Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving

bajalera - 11-27-2003 at 09:42 AM

You Anonymous Person back there a ways:

Who the heck is Margaret Leck? That quote I used was taken directly from Capt. Mike's gushy gloat over Loreto land sales, which led off this thread. Check it out.

This isn't really anything I give a rats sass about, either way--but don't you think it's just a tad deceptive for Capt. Mike to use a "we" in his New Topic entry, and then tell us later that he's not involved?

You can't have it both ways, Capt. Mike!

Skeet/Loreto - 11-27-2003 at 09:52 AM

Well if you folks feel that way I guess my signature is Advertisment.
Capt. Mike i am alittle concerned about you "We" also. It was my impression that you would not go any where close to Loreto. Cahnge your mind?
Come on you folks lets all set back and wait for the First House with running water, then we will all be justified one way or tother!!
Happy Turkey Day.
God Bless America God Bless George Bush and God Bless all of the Brave Soldiers who are fighting for a just Cause to save the Bacon of All of the you know who'S.Skeet/Loreto

jeans - 11-27-2003 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
You Anonymous Person back there a ways:

Who the heck is Margaret Leck? That quote I used was taken directly from Capt. Mike's gushy gloat over Loreto land sales, which led off this thread. Check it out.

This isn't really anything I give a rats sass about, either way--but don't you think it's just a tad deceptive for Capt. Mike to use a "we" in his New Topic entry, and then tell us later that he's not involved?

You can't have it both ways, Capt. Mike!

Margaret Leck is the author of the entrie post starting with the Dear Friends of Loreto Bay....down to her signature at the bottom. Capt Mike did not write one word of that post except for the title. He was merely passing on her letter.

His only mistake was not identifiying her as the author in the beginning in bold print so people don't go off half-c-cked thinking that he's "pimping.."

I read the whole thing before I made any judgment and it was clear to me that he was not the author.

Now...does that clear anything up?

Happy Thanksgiving

bajalera - 11-27-2003 at 04:32 PM

Thanks, jeans. I also read the whole thing without making a judgment, but unlike you was not aware that it didn't sound like anything Capt. Mike would write. The only mistake he made was in not attributing the piece to the author? That's one tremendous mistake.

Loreto Bay?

bajagrouper - 11-27-2003 at 08:10 PM

After visiting their website, i am trying to figure out what they will do with the sewage generated by this project...and where will they get all the water for a "town" this size?

my mistake!!! big time!! mea culpas......lo siento.

capt. mike - 11-28-2003 at 06:30 AM

sorry baja gang, i don't insert others' prose and articles very often - most of my friends here know i'm not much a loss for my own words - but this time i failed to preface that the words were not mine = just passing on another's writing. Sorry....
I'll tell ya, if something comes along that i'm involved with i won't be shy about talking about it. And if its commercial in nature, i'll do the pimping on the appropriate venue! 3rd party press releases not-withstanding!!

Now... anybody want to talk about los Ventanas at BOLA??? Big doins coming. Airstrip leased now by the the same atty involved with the Rosario project. I can hear it now, "they're (developers) ruining the bahia!!"

P.S. - Skeet - i still go (fly) to loreto as long as someone else eats their ridiculous fees!!

Skeet/Loreto - 11-28-2003 at 09:58 AM

Capt. Mike. Glad to hear that you visit,I still like Mulege.Just too many bugs in the Summer. Nest time you are there have a good Taco for me. Skeet/Loreto

marla - 11-29-2003 at 04:47 PM

Well I appreciate Capt. Mike posting that information because I like to know what is going on. And for the record I never saw anything he has written regarding his plane flights that I would describe as commercial. I would like to think that whether or not you want to see more or less development in Baja, this is a free forum for a free exchange of ideas and rudeness is not appropriate or appreciated by most of us.

Beware of Instant Friends - 11-29-2003 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I've suspected, you're opposed to preserving Baja's precious resources and incomparable landscape, and join the greedy developers in their quest for exploiting the land.

Laughable, textbook socialist babble.

If an entity owns the land, it is their right to develop said property to the extent of local zoning and governing laws. It's also their right to ask for zoning variances to build their development for the best available profit.

You, Mr. Anonymous have absolutely zero right as does anyone else to to tell them what to do with their land if they are following the laws and guidelines.

As for Capt Mike being "too commercial"; this simply lights up the sign on your forhead that says "I am a biased nut".

Honestly, Capt Mike has more time flying for the Flying Sam's than anyone I know and if that isn't a public serice then I do not know what is.

[Edited on 11-30-2003 by Beware of Instant Friends]

Thx BWOIF, You are an instant friend of mine!

capt. mike - 11-30-2003 at 06:48 AM

How about a public message on behalf of the Samaritanos here? Look out anonymous....here comes a "commercial"......
www.flyingsamaritans.org

Anyone with an interest in providing medical help to poor Mexican families is welcome!

Where do you fly doctors out of, Mike?

Stephanie Jackter - 11-30-2003 at 12:01 PM

Do you happen to know Cathy Garvin? She's a translator out of LA for flying sams. - Stephanie

no, but i might meet her at the yearly

capt. mike - 11-30-2003 at 01:53 PM

inter-chapter seminar, usually held oct in San felipe. its our "convention" and excuse to write off a social trip! my chapter is Los Amigos, phoenix. our clinic is in the village of Peurto Adolfo lopez north of Mag bay, pacific side.

bufeo - 11-30-2003 at 02:55 PM

I read this thread because I'm interested in the topic of development in Baja (things are happening at Bahia de Gonzaga also) and saw immediately that Capt. Mike had posted a press release. I knew that it wasn't a sales pitch on the part of CM and I imagine most readers saw it that way.

from jeans-
Quote:

...so people don't go off half-c-cked.

I think that's wishful thinking, jeans.

Anonymous - 12-2-2003 at 10:06 AM

"If an entity owns the land, it is their right to develop said property to the extent of local zoning and governing laws. It's also their right to ask for zoning variances to build their development for the best available profit."

You hit the nail on the head: Nopolo is about greedy developers who don't give a damn about anything about their profit margin.

no gonads

jerry - 12-2-2003 at 05:22 PM

seems to me if ya cant at least register and come up with a name i can at least ignore you just jerry

my guess its because "Anonymous" can't

capt. mike - 12-2-2003 at 06:01 PM

come up with the scratch to buy a nice property in baja that he bemoans the fact that others can......like i said in the beginning....the market rules, if you don't like a free market economy try out China, North Korea or Vietnam, also Cuba...they're the last bastions of gov't control and rule over freedom of choice.

Anonymous - 12-3-2003 at 09:22 AM

If one wanted to spend between $140,000 (the lowest price in Loreto Bay Town) and $1 million on a residence in Baja, there are plenty of places to spend your money. You will also have the annual trust fee, the homeowner's fee, and any management fees if you're planning on renting it. All of the improvements will not be completed overnight, and they're planning on building the most expensive homes first. You may as well buy something that is already built, or have your own home built exclusive of any entanglements of someone else's management and promises. The whole thing just doesn't make sense for someone who has $140,000 to spend. By the way, I own a home in San Diego and Lake Tahoe, two condos that I rent, and I have absolutely no desire to build or own in Baja when I have the entire peninsula at my disposal for as long as I want, wherever I want, for the price of gasoline.

Skeet/Loreto - 12-3-2003 at 09:38 AM

Capt. Mike. We do not know at this point in time if it is going to Happen. As you know I would like to see it happen so that it would help the People of Loreto Not the Contractors.
There are a lot of people who only want to build a big Trophy House on the Water,get a Boat and take their friends and show them the beautiful Home and Water.They then go back to the States or Canada and tell it to their friends. This happens all the time in our country. These people will never know about another country or its people, If they can afford to take a chance and Risk their money so be it,but if this turns our to be a Scam I will not spend much time feeling sorry as it is their risk.
It would be nice if we did not have so many Fraidy Cats and would Post their Names. Skeet/Loreto

Jim - 12-3-2003 at 09:46 AM

from Anon above-

Quote:

I have absolutely no desire to build or own in Baja
Then why enter into this dialog at all?

hey anonymous....no problem here...sounds

capt. mike - 12-3-2003 at 06:29 PM

like you made some good decisions for yourself if you have those places, good for you! me, i wouldn't spend that jack for a place either even if i had it, but that's cause i like simpler things like trailers and palalpa style stuff. i say though if its made possible to buy by private enterprize and people wamt it, its ok!

freedom of choice can't be regulated by emotions, the market must weigh the scales of supply and demand!

i would have a beer with you if it came to be, we both like baja, right?

Confused about "profiteering"

Phil S - 12-4-2003 at 04:36 AM

Anon. Doesn't bother me now with your "owning up" to being a property owner in Lake Tahoe area. Couple condo's, huh? How come you "own" property there, enforcing the development mentality in one of the worlds "other" most beautiful places, that should never have been developed to start with. But can "knock" developers who want to do the same thing down here? "for profit". If not for profit, why would anyone do anything regarding building homes, communities, businesses. Do you support the "energy" consortiums, by buying gasoline, for your "driving to Baja"? Why not try walking down, like David did with his burro? Since your statement about owning the condo's I have a different picture of who you are. Keep up the good work. I'm sure somewhere along the line, you'll turn out to be human, if you "open your windows a little wider".

Anonymous - 12-4-2003 at 11:01 AM

Phil, just a quick correction to your post. I don't think it was David who walked down Baja with a burro. I believe it was Graham. ...... "El Mochilero"

Baja brain at work

Phil S - 12-4-2003 at 10:02 PM

Anon. Thanks for the correction. Your right. If I had bought the book I probably wouldn't have done that. It's on my list of books to read. Any one read it???

Anonymous - 12-4-2003 at 10:26 PM

Phil, get off your "burro" and check the book out. It's not quite as adventurous as his "Into A Desert Place", but adventurous, nonetheless. If you have any interest in the missions, then it will be a plus for you...."El Mochilero"

Book reading

Phil S - 12-6-2003 at 08:12 AM

Anon. Great suggestion. Hard to lay down those Robert Ludlum books, though. Each year, I manage to get up to San Javier Mission out of Loreto at least once. Love that walk through the gardens behind the church, and the old giant tree, that if "only could talk" of it's history. I've been wanting to pick up a copy of Grahams books, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. But will!!!!

Skeet/Loreto - 12-6-2003 at 09:28 AM

Phil S:
Many years ago there was a Huge Beehive attached to the Tower of the church at San Javier It was at least 3 feet in dia with Honey dripping out on the ground below. I will try and find the pictures and show you when we meet.Some one around the Mission may have some pictures. It was the largest Honey Bee Hive I have ever seen. Skeet/Loreto

Mission Honey Bee's

Phil S - 12-7-2003 at 07:33 AM

Thanks, Skeet. I'll ask around about it next time I go. If it's not there, and it's been a "pest", a fellow from McMinnville, Oregon called "honey Jim" who lives at Rattlesnake Beach during the winter, might have removed it, and set it up down on the beach. Would love to see the pic's of that one!!!!

Rattlesnake Gultch?

LaTijereta - 12-7-2003 at 08:51 AM

Phil,
Are you talking about "rattlesnake gultch" around the point from Tripui?