BajaNomad

Bajacat to sharksbaja

BAJACAT - 7-3-2006 at 10:10 AM

Hey sharks have you had any problems with your truck.I have a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 (Hemmi) and I will like to compare notes with you I have 36,000 miles most of them in Baja (thank good ) . and so far I have all this done to my truck.
1- radio was replace ( warranty)
2-Leaking power stearing pump (warranty)
3-driver side door wouldn''t open (warranty )
4-driver side door wouldn't open for the second time(warranty)
5-speed censor that sits on top of diff. was leaking and my odometer and speedometer where unoperable.
Dealer said I broke it :?: so warranty din;d cover it.:fire: they wanted $225.00 to fix it :P, I refuse bough the censor from them for $54 and fix it my self..

All this with only 36,000 miles on my Dodge..

HAVE YOU GIVEN ANY THOUGHT TO BUYING A TOYOTA???

Barry A. - 7-3-2006 at 11:14 AM

:lol:

Cincodemayo - 7-3-2006 at 11:53 AM

Doesn't the lemon law come into effect at a certain point!

bajacat

bancoduo - 7-3-2006 at 12:08 PM

Check inside the driver side door and see where it was made.
Won't help but might be interesting.:?::?::wow:

Al G - 7-3-2006 at 06:30 PM

Make mine Chevy or Ford
:P:lol::P

Happy 4th of July!!!

[Edited on 7-4-2006 by Al G]

BAJACAT - 7-3-2006 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Check inside the driver side door and see where it was made.
Won't help but might be interesting.:?::?::wow:
Bancoduo I check it was made in the good old USA

5DMAYO

BAJACAT - 7-3-2006 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
Doesn't the lemon law come into effect at a certain point!
The Dealer is not refusing to fix it so I dont' think it applies, maybe Im wrong:?:

Barry

BAJACAT - 7-3-2006 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
:lol:
I wish the tundra was a little bit more power full and bigger too, but Im thinking of going back to toyota.Previously I had a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4wd with the TRD package..... and had no problems, but it lack the power and space:no:

David K - 7-4-2006 at 12:16 AM

The next generation Tundra is out or out soon, as the Tacoma of 2005 and later is almost the size of the Tundra... The NEW Tundra is a true full size truck...

I have had my fill of buying garbage (American car company) vehicles after being burned so often... You have to learn... and the best cars I have owned have been made by Japanese car companies including two Toyota Tacomas, Mitsubishi, Mazda, and three Subarus.

My '05 is almost 11 months old and now has 31,000 miles on it... much in Baja (thank God)... no break downs, just noisey brake squeel which went away with new pads, soft ride rear suspension that bottoms out driving with people in the back and me not slowing down for bumps... Not bad and not like what you have experienced with the Dodge... Lo siento amigo!

[Edited on 7-4-2006 by David K]

Bajacat to Toyota Tundra???

Sharksbaja - 7-4-2006 at 12:55 AM

Gee Cat someone thought you were talkin' to them about Tagahashi chite!:P:lol:

Seriously speaking Cat, I have had a couple probs of which I repaired myself. From what I've seen, the 1500 and the 2500/3500 series employ almost entirely different stuff.
But to answer to those probs you've had, no, I,ve had no probs with any of those elements. Earlier in a post I stated my u-joint failure. Funny thing tho, my old 1968 Power Wagon has gone through many u-joints also.
My other prob after 40,000 VERY HARD FAST miles happened just before my last zoom down. It was a idler pulley which was screamin":o
A very easy fix w/one wrench and took less than 5 mins. THe dealer parts guy said he'd seen none sold.:?: Oh,.....it said "Made in Canada" . Earlier I mentioned it was probably made in China(Ball Bearing set in plastic.:lol::lol:
I just put 3600 mi on my baby in just 6 days with nary a burp! In fact, tonight after driving it another 10 hrs straight
it ran exceptionally well. I really love that engine/trans when it's dialed in right.

My advice as hard as it may sound is.... upgrade now! But I'd stay American. If one of those clowns with a Jap toy actually admitted to the probs they have themselves more people would understand that they only break if you use them!Otherwise why would you keep LEASING new and different ones:lol:. :coolup::biggrin:

Bob and Susan - 7-4-2006 at 06:18 AM

aren't toyotas built in the USA...maybe i'm wrong

this isn't 1970:lol:

Oh, I get it!

Sharksbaja - 7-4-2006 at 09:51 AM

Foreign cars made here and domestic cars made.....in Canada?:lol: THat makes tons of sense.

bajalou - 7-4-2006 at 10:24 AM

And Dodge is a owned by acompany headquartered in Germany. :cool:

Diver - 7-4-2006 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I wish the tundra was a little bit more power full and bigger too

And I wish beer bottles refilled themselves endlessly........:biggrin:

Get a FORD !! F250/350 deisel !!

Al G - 7-4-2006 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I wish the tundra was a little bit more power full and bigger too

And I wish beer bottles refilled themselves endlessly........:biggrin:

Kinda like fish jumping in your boat on command.:lol:
Buy American made in Baja!:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 7-4-2006 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
aren't toyotas built in the USA...maybe i'm wrong

this isn't 1970:lol:

Yes at least 50% of the truck is made in California... that is why I said Japanese car companies, not made in Japan cars.

I don't care where my car is made in the free world, I just want to get the best product for my dollar... that is the American way... Not staying loyal to some formerly made here company product that can't hold up.

Sharks, if you think my truck has not been put to the test in Baja, then you must not read my trip posts or see my photos!
I picked Toyota (the first time) only after Ford dealership wouldn't deal with me and so many Baja Internet people owned and swore by their Toyotas (Neal Johns being the most influential).

I picked Toyota again (near the end of my 5 year lease) because I had NO problems, breakdowns, issues with my '01 that would even have me consider another vehicle.

No BS, and I don't get any kick back from Toyota for speaking well of them... I had fantastic Baja service from my three Subarus as well... with well over 100,000 miles on each.

Diver - 7-4-2006 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I picked Toyota the first time only after Ford dealership wouldn't deal with me

AHA !! The truth is out, they wouldn't sell him a FORD !!!

What was it ??
Bad breath ? Forgot to shave ? Or, were you wearing your Geisha outfit again ? David, David, David............Just Kiddin !!

Uh David

Sharksbaja - 7-4-2006 at 01:59 PM

So are you saying your ride(s) have never a prob. If that's 100% true than like I should have said you need to find tougher places to go. :lol:

David K - 7-4-2006 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
So are you saying your ride(s) have never a prob. If that's 100% true than like I should have said you need to find tougher places to go. :lol:

That's correct... other than tires and brake pads my '01 Tacoma with 136,000 miles in less than five years had only TWO items that were replaced: A sensor and a water pump. Neither one caused a breakdown. A light on the dash indicated the sensor failure and during the 90,000 mile recommended timing belt replacement a small drip was noticed coming from the water pump.

My 11 month old/ 31,000 mile '05 Tacoma has had no failures so far... just the two items I have not liked (brake noise & soft rear suspension).

Photo of fishuntr's Toyota coming down the Widowmaker AFTER me in my '01...

Here is my Tacoma climbing up that grade on the way back out from Mision Santa Maria...

Last photo is my '05 dropping down to Mike's Sky Rancho from the south...

[Edited on 7-5-2006 by David K]

Wow I created a monster

BAJACAT - 7-5-2006 at 10:29 PM

I didn't meant to stirr anything, guys I was I simple question. But that's ok we need the fun:tumble:
Sharks don't take wrong I love my Dodge It just gets me upset when dealers play hard ball.Im all ready looking in to upgrade my truck but not sure if I want to trade it for the new model (2006),. with coilovers. but right now Im doing my homework,Im thinking on the 2500 ram with the off road package..will see..

BAJACAT - 7-5-2006 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I picked Toyota the first time only after Ford dealership wouldn't deal with me

AHA !! The truth is out, they wouldn't sell him a FORD !!!

What was it ??
Bad breath ? Forgot to shave ? Or, were you wearing your Geisha outfit again ? David, David, David............Just Kiddin !!
Thats funny Diver

I also love my toyota

BAJACAT - 7-5-2006 at 10:33 PM

another one

BAJACAT - 7-5-2006 at 10:36 PM

David K - 7-6-2006 at 08:28 AM

Diver, they wouldn't take the POS American mini van I owned as a trade in at the Ford place... Toyota was happy to take it off my hands and get me into a Tacoma that very day!

Viva Toyota Carlsbad!

Bruce R Leech - 7-6-2006 at 08:42 AM

I love Toyota's also Polled 3 of them back from the mountains with my Ford last week. Toyota owners are good tippers.

bajamigo - 7-6-2006 at 09:19 AM

David K, what part of La Cienega Blvd were you on when the pics were taken? Love your website. Lots of great info, and the Links page was really helpful. Gives me something to do until this conversation blows over.

[Edited on 7-6-2006 by bajamigo]

Oh, a switch hitter:lol:

Sharksbaja - 7-6-2006 at 11:36 AM

That's ok Bajacat. I just like to lure DK cause he's a devout foreign car owner. Sure we all have our preferences only DK makes it sound like he's some sort of authority. Big wow. Truck evolution has it's twists and turns. Certain years and or models of your favorite car company have inherent problems or are in need of refinement .
David dosen't really own the vehicle so whoever gets his car later will most likely experience failures related to David's abuse to it. Got me curious, David, do you ever tell them what you plan on doing with the vehicle? After all, this is a TOTOTA thread:moon: As far as Tootas here in Oregon......I did see one.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Then again we think USA in favor of imports or overstated Foreign metal.

bajalou - 7-6-2006 at 11:48 AM

You just like to keep DK stired up Sharks. You do know that every Tacoma built has been built in Calif. Fremont to be exact.

Toyota

Al G - 7-6-2006 at 12:07 PM

Correct me if I wrong. This is a foreign vehicle manufactured in Japan and some parts assembled in US.
There is no way a, and never will be a, American vehicle.

bajalou - 7-6-2006 at 12:09 PM

Al G - please define "Foreign" as you use it.

Al G - 7-6-2006 at 12:12 PM

A company owned by another counrty including DODGE

Al G - 7-6-2006 at 12:17 PM

I regret my last 2 post as they were silly and I felt like beeing silly.

bajalou - 7-6-2006 at 12:22 PM

I to have been thinking that this isn't the place for these discussions. The "Off Topic" is where it belongs but I don't go there so maybe we can say that we both have good reasons for our opinions and let it go at that here.

Have a great day Al

:biggrin:

Sharksbaja - 7-6-2006 at 12:29 PM

Ok, the thread IS about foreign trucks. Yep, those Germans designed evry inch of my truck....not. Hey, aren't those German engineers pretty good? :lol:
As far as stirring DK up. Naw, I just get a little testy when those Toyotas are in the way.

wornout - 7-6-2006 at 12:37 PM

All I have to say is wherever you go, there you are.

Bob and Susan - 7-6-2006 at 12:49 PM

profound coming from an "old dog" like you wornout

Cincodemayo - 7-6-2006 at 01:25 PM

There are many fine vehicles made from every car company. Some just make more lemons than usual....I prefer Chevy Silverados.
Now take Ford for instance....
Found On Road Dead
Fix or Repair Daily
Backwards---Driver returns on foot
Remember.....Friends don't let friends drive Fords.:lol::lol:

German cars----------

Barry A. - 7-6-2006 at 01:31 PM

----------I have had two german cars----a Mercedes 240 diesel, and an Audi 5000 Turbo----------both were repair-nightmares, and you could not pay me to own another German car. One year, I spent $5K on my Mercedes, and it still did not work right, and this was a 240----the "taxi cab" of Europe. Never again!!!!!!

I will stick with Japanese cars, or Korean. (and my token Ford F-250 which, I must admit, is a dream)

I do like my 1967 Baja Bug, tho.

Cincodemayo - 7-6-2006 at 01:33 PM

Just noticed in a Toyota ad about US Toyota operations...

Toyota USA Operations:
Plants............10
Jobs...............386,000
Investment....$13 billion

Toyotas are another fine product. Remember when "Made in Japan" was a total joke?

Still not a Toyota tread.

Sharksbaja - 7-6-2006 at 01:54 PM

Tootas have my rating as a fine vehicle to drive. I just don't care much for them. I won't get THAT carried away with my allegiance.;D
Cinco is absolutely correct, the Japanese make fine stuff NOW. The Chinese....well.......:barf:

still.........

Dodge Rules!

jerry - 7-6-2006 at 01:58 PM

hea berry my dad had a 240-d went back to a gm car as soon as the gas shortage was over should have been painted yellow he called it hitlers revenge

tried 'em all...

eetdrt88 - 7-6-2006 at 11:38 PM

and like someone already said all trucks have there ups and downs but i really like my F-250 diesel truck mostly because its really big and carries all my junk but also because it has an International 7.3L engine:yes::yes:

bajalou - 7-7-2006 at 07:39 AM

Hey eetdrt88, that looks just like the F250 diesel I sold a few months ago down right down to the type of shell. Except mine had the Nav. 6.9. Great truck - kind of sorry I sold it but too many vehicles - something had to go.

Bruce R Leech - 7-7-2006 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
and like someone already said all trucks have there ups and downs but i really like my F-250 diesel truck mostly because its really big and carries all my junk but also because it has an International 7.3L engine:yes::yes:

now there is a real truck:o

bajalou - 7-7-2006 at 01:32 PM

Just looked at the data plate on my F350 diesel 7.3

Made in Canada by Ford of Canada.

Should I not consider this a "imported vehicle" as it is NOT made in the USA?

Roberto - 7-7-2006 at 08:11 PM

Here is my American POS. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ford F350 (ex-dually), 7.3 liter PowerStroke diesel

110K miles, pulls by 14K lbs boat, with 6 people, a dog and a FULL load (lumber rack) of construction lumber. Without breaking a sweat. It gets me where I want to go, with what I want to take with me, and all I've done is change fluids, filters, etc. All while carrying 180 gallons of diesel in three tanks.

As someone else said before, Toyotas are good trucks, and I like them, but they can't do what REAL trucks do.

[Edited on 7-8-2006 by Roberto]

Amen to that Roberto

Sharksbaja - 7-7-2006 at 09:20 PM

When I look down at those little Toys I feel a bit sorry! ;D

When that little Nissan found my backside lately I soon realized the benefit of owning a vehicle with American Origin
Leg room is all too important tambien.:biggrin:

[Edited on 7-8-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Amen to that sharks..

BAJACAT - 7-8-2006 at 10:51 PM