BajaNomad

Good News ! Praise the Lord ! Hallelujah !

MrBillM - 7-21-2006 at 05:10 PM

I just spoke with a friend from Gonzaga who came North last night and he said that the government is hard at work repaving the last 14 miles into Puertecitos.. Wonders never cease. Hopefully, they'll finish before they run out of money or materials. Quien Sabe ?

bajalou - 7-21-2006 at 05:25 PM

There goes the neighborhood----

Capt. George - 7-21-2006 at 11:45 PM

good roads etc., etc

capt g

capt. mike - 7-22-2006 at 06:19 AM

who cares??:yawn: there's no maintenance..........................

Good

BajaRob - 7-22-2006 at 06:50 AM

More hot dogs y cervesas @ Cowpatty without testing the limits of our suspension systems. Potholes are overated by some.

Bullio - Buenos Dias, You All

MrBillM - 7-22-2006 at 08:38 AM

Well, shucks Kemosabe, I can palaver pretty OK in that there lingo when I need to parley with the natives.

No, my father was never known as the Lone Ranger, as far as I can recollect. He was known by a lot of names that I can't repeat in a family forum. I called him a few of those myself. Unlike you, I did know who my father was, though.

"Hi-Yo Silver, Away"

Capt. George - 7-22-2006 at 09:19 AM

i did know who my father was

thanx for the laugh, you obnoxious bast (oops, you said you knew him)

lo siento Mr Bill

Bill, you scoundrel !!! Lou , yer RIGHT !!

beercan - 7-22-2006 at 10:53 AM

I am lucky to be able to fly "most of the times" .

The times (every month) that I have to drive that %^4#%$^, road I spend plenty of time cussing and praying !!
But I would rather it stay "unmaintained " so as to keep some of the traffic out !!

I have seen a large increase in the amout of traffic south of Mexicali and around San Felipe. The safety factor is decreasing .

MexicoTed - 7-22-2006 at 08:51 PM

Well, don't forget who bought some land in Gonzaga... I'm in Puerto Penasco (a couple beers into the night), but President Fox's wife family bought some land there last year, and sources say a cabinet member is looking now.

The road will be paved to Gonzaga sooner than later and not like the local gov't has always said, this is for real I believe.

Ted

tim40 - 7-22-2006 at 09:11 PM

That is one bad road I have always wished was even worse....we don't need any more 'easy' access. But as I conveyed on this board a couple of years ago...it is a done deal!

Don Alley - 7-22-2006 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Well, don't forget who bought some land in Gonzaga... I'm in Puerto Penasco (a couple beers into the night), but President Fox's wife family bought some land there last year, and sources say a cabinet member is looking now.

The road will be paved to Gonzaga sooner than later and not like the local gov't has always said, this is for real I believe.

Ted

President Fox's wife gets around. She bought land inLoreto too, or so the rumors say, and that's why they will pave the road to San Javier.:biggrin:

A rumor that cannot be confirmed !!

beercan - 7-22-2006 at 09:27 PM

I had another one a couple days ago from a former resident of Punta Final ---GAS has been discovered in Puertecitos !!!!!!!!!!!!! I told them that the Pemex station wasn't open !!

Oh, that is why they are building the LPG terminal at Ensenada , the rumor said !!???? Hmmmmmm????

Tim 40 ---errr is that you Tim Y.????

Later rather than sooner ---

beercan - 7-22-2006 at 09:31 PM

Ted , the current forces --working on the road are "only going to Puertecitos" at this time .

Urban Fable ?

MrBillM - 7-23-2006 at 08:52 AM

I have yet to see any authoritative confirmation of these "Land Deal" rumors. Interestingly, those closest to the area in question are the most skeptical.

Proof, Anyone ?

I can sympathize with those to the South who regret the road improvement. I felt the same when the highway South of San Felipe was improved. I'm also one of the few who dread the arrival of commercial electricity. For a long time now, I have told those who inquired about buying land in or near the burgeoning metropolis of San Felipe, to forget about it and go well south of the good pavement for the best deals. Electricity and a paved road are contributing to ridiculous inflation of the land prices.

Good Roads make for MORE neighbors.

MrBillM

BajaRob - 7-23-2006 at 09:11 AM

Do not feel sorry for Richard nor Coco. Now might be a good time to invest with them before they go public with their IPOs. Although I have four stout 4xs, I don't njoy cooking the Ranchos and Bilsteins. I do respect however those of the opposing opinion. Besides, we are not in control and it's less stressful to go with the flow. In regards to the electricity, it will reach beyond Percebu and BSM within the next 5 years according to Pat Butler. He claims to be in a position to know and has made a large investment in the road from the highway to shell beach er Island. We produce 5-6 kw/day and do not intend to hook up when the power comes.

[Edited on 7-23-2006 by BajaRob]

Sympathy

MrBillM - 7-23-2006 at 09:51 AM

My expression of sympathy didn't extend to those who are making money off of the Baja Boom. They are in a separate class (or lack thereof). "Peso Pursuit Pat" is in a class all by himself. Those who know and are influenced by his pursuit have varying opinions of where that class ranks. I've only met him once so I have little opinion, other than I tend to distrust anyone who drives a Hummer. But that's just me.

That electrico business could be tricky. In the past, I've talked with two different people who were in Campos on the West Coast where Electricity came in and they were not given the option of paying or not paying for the installation. They were assessed.

By whom?

Dave - 7-23-2006 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
That electrico business could be tricky. In the past, I've talked with two different people who were in Campos on the West Coast where Electricity came in and they were not given the option of paying or not paying for the installation. They were assessed.

If the campo owner decided to install then he might be able to assess the tenants proportionally. I've never heard of the CFE installing without permission. Why would they care? It's not like they're in business to make a profit. :biggrin:

Which campos?

bajalou - 7-23-2006 at 11:55 AM

When Pete's Camp got electricity a few years ago, all tenents were assessed a portion of the cost.

BajaRob - 7-23-2006 at 01:03 PM

I guess it depends on the Campo. When Campo Ocotillos powered up, the total cost was split amongst those who wanted to hook up. Those who chose not to or were not in the camp at the time must now pay a higher price to those who originally paid for the system. Those fees are then rebated back to the original purchasers of the infrastructure.

Capt. George - 7-23-2006 at 03:44 PM

Mr Bill:D

you don't have to worry about power..:tumble:

you have your own, even more then, yours truly:bounce:

GAS:barf:, GAS:wow: and more GAS:fire:

your secret admirer:dudette:

BajaRob - 7-23-2006 at 04:43 PM

My Dad, who I knew well, taught me that one could get more with honey than vinegar. Make sure that your words are sweet, you never know when you are going to have to eat them.

eetdrt88 - 7-23-2006 at 05:01 PM

i'll buy everyone on this forum a beer if there is any pavement to gonzaga bay before the end of this decade:lol::lol::lol: and who's in charge of operations down there...i've been down there a few times last winter and during the spring and saw absolutely no road work being done but now in the hottest month of the year they begin work:lol::lol::lol: too damn funny,well not for for the laborers:?::(:(

BajaRob - 7-23-2006 at 05:10 PM

You're on. By late 2009 you can buy me and Ricky Bell a cold Tecate @ the newly opened hunta.

Actually, it depends on your lease

Dave - 7-23-2006 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
I guess it depends on the Campo. When Campo Ocotillos powered up, the total cost was split amongst those who wanted to hook up. Those who chose not to or were not in the camp at the time must now pay a higher price to those who originally paid for the system. Those fees are then rebated back to the original purchasers of the infrastructure.

If the lessor can legally collect an assessment and decides to hook up then you are obligated. Of course the lease must be legal. Most aren't.

But I guess that's a subject for another thread. ;D

Bob H - 7-23-2006 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
i'll buy everyone on this forum a beer if there is any pavement to gonzaga bay before the end of this decade

I think you will be surprised. That's over four years away. And, in my opinion, Baja is changing faster than ever. You better be prepared to buy lots of beer.....
:bounce:

David K - 7-31-2006 at 06:31 PM

This is the original road to Gonzaga Bay that I consider the item that made it such a special place to go to...

Photos taken in 1979 while pre-running the Baja 1000...

thebajarunner - 7-31-2006 at 06:45 PM

David, that's 90 mph road!
Why don't you show the old potholes going up the Sisters, and the sheer drop down the side, and all the hulks resting below.
Shoot, those pictures are speedway pix...

David K - 7-31-2006 at 07:17 PM

Standby 'runner... I dug out my 1974 and '75 photos when I was driving a Meyers Manx 1650cc Baja Special...

The problem is where the road was that bad, I couldn't get out and take a photo!

However, by co-pilot did at the bottom of one of the 'sisters' and photographed me driving down...

David K - 7-31-2006 at 07:24 PM

Nearing the bottom of one of the 'terrible sisters'... 1974, my first trip driving around Baja at 16 (without parents)... Photo taken by 16 y/o friend Pat Goforth.

David K - 7-31-2006 at 07:28 PM

In 1975, I did the same big Baja loop trip again over Easter Vacation with friend Mike Clancy... Tijuana to Mision San Fernando to El Marmol to Calamajue Canyon, Gonzaga, Puertecitos, San Felipe, home...

David K - 7-31-2006 at 07:29 PM

Heading north from Gonzaga Bay in my 1650cc VW Meyers Manx Baja Special (roof rack, side curtains)...

The new graded highway (that many call a bad road) was built across the canyon to the left of this photo... 11 years later! One can see this long grade from the new road...

[Edited on 8-1-2006 by David K]

thebajarunner - 7-31-2006 at 07:34 PM

and someone always, always, always broke on these hills,
and you had to pass them,
and quickly,
and they never pulled to the side,
always sat in the middle of the road,
broke,
and the choices of which side to pass........
priceless!!!!

David K - 7-31-2006 at 07:37 PM

The idea of not pulling over was to insure you would help get him going again! Naturally, nobody would not stop to help as cars where few and far between!

Good Samaritans ?

MrBillM - 7-31-2006 at 08:56 PM

Back around 1975-76 we were headed for Gonzaga Bay after dark. I was driving a Baja Bug and my friend, who owned a house at Alfonsina's was driving an old Ford 2WD Pickup filled with construction materials, including sacks of Concrete mix and towing a dune buggy. Along the way we passed a Jeep Club Caravan of a dozen or so vehicles. going through one sandy wash, my pal ended up putting one wheel too far to one side and buried the Truck in the soft sand. Absolutely no chance to dig it out without unloading. After a short while, the Jeeps caught up with us and the end result was that they were able to pull the truck out with two of their winches. Listening to the CB channel that they were using to communicate with each other made it very clear that they would have passed us by without a worry if we had not been blocking the road. Nevertheless, we were appropriately grateful and invited them to drop by while we were there. They camped at the North end of the Runway and none ever stopped by. An amusing postscript to that trip was that nobody bothered to tell them that the area where they pitched their tents would flood on the night's high tide. I took some great pictures of their "Soggy" camp. They weren't too friendly while we were shooting those pics.

That's OK, when we first camped on the beach there in 1973, nobody bothered to tell us either. I woke up in the early a.m. to find our Bugs sitting in about six inches of water (and rising). First things first, we got the vehicles moved. By that time, the water had reached the tents. A couple of the residents came down the next morning while we were drying out and thought the whole thing was really funny. I guess it was.

The thing about the old road was that no picture could really do it justice. Over the years, I had told many people about that road and they'd nod and say "yeah, I've been on roads like that". Sure. The only thing that ever came close was Super 8 I took back in the 70s, but even then with all the bouncing around, you still couldn't communicate it to someone who'd never been on it.

David K - 7-31-2006 at 09:01 PM

poo poo on that Jeep club! They got what they deserved!

When my folks took their new Wagoneer to Gonzaga Bay (via Puertecitos) in 1965, some swag at Puertecitos said the road ended right there... The only way to Gonzaga was by boat (or plane)!

Armed with a copy of Gerhard & Gulick, they new a Jeep could be driven to Gonzaga... and they did.

Here's our Jeep at Alfonsina's in 1967 on our way to L.A. Bay... Rare shade! I am laying on that cot with hat, behind the local kid...

David K - 8-1-2006 at 08:23 AM

Anyway, photos cannot relate the experience of the grades to Gonzaga (aka The Sisters)...

freakin awesome photos...

eetdrt88 - 8-1-2006 at 02:28 PM

of a place I love long before i ever set foot there...thanks:cool:

Breakdowns on the Sisters

thebajarunner - 8-1-2006 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The idea of not pulling over was to insure you would help get him going again! Naturally, nobody would not stop to help as cars where few and far between!

David, I was talking about the guys who broke during the races, on the Sisters, and did not try to clear the course.
Some of them got dumped over the side, when enough of us got backed up to the bottom of the hill, not able to get around...

Corky1 - 8-1-2006 at 04:44 PM

Here's a few pictures of the old road taken form the new road!! Nov 03

[Edited on 8-1-2006 by Corky1]

Corky1 - 8-1-2006 at 04:48 PM

Another??

The rest of the are to big to post. Sorry!

Corky:mad::mad:

[Edited on 8-1-2006 by Corky1]

Corky1 - 8-1-2006 at 04:58 PM

Here's another I found.

Top picture when still selling gas in Puertocitos

Middle on going up one of the sisters

Bottom , someone left behind.

thebajarunner - 8-1-2006 at 05:33 PM

Corky, the bottom foto is no doubt someone who parked in the middle of the road and we all sent him over the side.

ahh, one
ahh, two
ahh, threeeeeeeeee

adios!!

David K - 8-1-2006 at 06:58 PM

>>> David, I was talking about the guys who broke during the races, on the Sisters, and did not try to clear the course.
Some of them got dumped over the side, when enough of us got backed up to the bottom of the hill, not able to get around... <<<

Runner, you are brutal man!:lol:

You will never make it in a film like Dust To Glory unless you help your fellow racer make to the finish line (ahead of you, LOL)!

Some Baja 500 notes:

The first (NORRA) Baja 500 races (1968-1972) were closer to 600 miles long and all ran the main road (Hwy. 1) from Ensenada to Laguna Chapala then turned north to Gonzaga (and on to San Felipe and back to Ensenada) over the Jeep trail Arturo Grosso built in the 1950's and was nearly impassable so the regular gulf route went through Calamajue Canyon to El Crucero.

That malo camino route was graded in 1983 and became the main route to reach the gulf.

The 1973 500 (the final NORRA race) made some changes to compensate for the pavement reaching El Rosario from Camalu where the pavement ended for the previous year (Colonet before then)... The race went along the Pacific (Parnelli rolled Big Oly the first of three times there) from Santo Tomas and then headed around the back way into the mountains avoiding El Rosario and returning to the old road/ course near El Arenoso.

The 1973 Baja 1000 (run by Baja Sports Committee) went from Ensenada to San Felipe and south to La Paz (via L.A. Bay) to avoid the new pavement as much as possible. (Johnny Johnson and Bobby Ferro teamed up to win in a single seat unlimited buggy)

Anyway, in June 1973, Parnelli Jones rolled Big Oly 3 times and end-o'd, but still won the 500 1st over-all!

Corky1 - 8-1-2006 at 08:51 PM

"That malo camino route was graded in 1983 and became the main route to reach the gulf."

David,
Is this the rock canyon north of the old Rancho Chapala that the motorcycles used as a short cut when the races were point to point??

Corky:lol: :light:

David K - 8-1-2006 at 08:58 PM

Corky.... that road from Rancho Laguna Chapala to Las Arrastras and on to Gonzaga was the race course used by NORRA per my readings, and memory...

The only other road from the Tijuana-La Paz road back north to Gonzaga was through Calamajue canyon, it began 18 miles south of Chapala at El Crucero... many miles longer to Gonzaga Bay...

Corky1 - 8-1-2006 at 09:21 PM

David,

During the 1971,72 &73 NORRA Baja 500 races, the road from Mex 1 to Coco's did not exist.

The 4 wheeled vehicles had to leave (DIRT) Mex 1, head to the Chapala ranch house and cross Chapala dry lake and intersect the road from El Crucero.

The motorcycles didn't have to cross Chapala dry lake.
They went north thru a large boulder strewn canyon that the 4 wheeled vehicles couldn't get thru.

The bikes came back on to the road to Gonzaga somewhere near what later became Coco's.

The 13 mile road from Coco's wasn't put in until later to give better access to a large fish camp.

I think it was located Bahia Calamajue.

If you are using old race course maps it won't show that route.

Corky :lol: :fire:

David K - 8-1-2006 at 09:26 PM

Thanks Corky... The road that Arturo Grosso built was passable, but barely... Las Arrastras was the ranch (north of Today's Coco's) where the Laguna Chapala and Calamajue Canyon routes coming north from dirt Mex. 1 joined... I did not know that any of the four wheelers actually crossed the dry lake and drove south to El Crucero.

I will post a map of that road from 1962 (it very well could have been motos only by the time you NORRA guys raced on it!)

[Edited on 8-2-2006 by David K]

thebajarunner - 8-1-2006 at 09:34 PM

Also, in the NORRA events we only had to pass through the designated checkpoints, not necessarily follow the marked course. There was no such thing as "short cutting" That came in with SCORE and their attempts to minimize damage to surrounding farms and ranchos.
In the 1972 NORRA Mexican 1000 there were 8 checkpoints, first at Camalu, last one at Villa Constitucion. Go through the check, get a stub in the can, you were o.k.
Now they track you by GPS and all sorts of observers.... radar on the pavement, etc. Back then it was drive down the middle of the road, and STAND ON IT!!!

David K - 8-1-2006 at 09:45 PM

Here's the road log... the Chapala road forks at Mile 248.0... The prefered route continued ahead through Calamajue Canyon.

David K - 8-1-2006 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Also, in the NORRA events we only had to pass through the designated checkpoints, not necessarily follow the marked course. There was no such thing as "short cutting" That came in with SCORE and their attempts to minimize damage to surrounding farms and ranchos.
In the 1972 NORRA Mexican 1000 there were 8 checkpoints, first at Camalu, last one at Villa Constitucion. Go through the check, get a stub in the can, you were o.k.
Now they track you by GPS and all sorts of observers.... radar on the pavement, etc. Back then it was drive down the middle of the road, and STAND ON IT!!!

The good old days!

The 1972 1000 was unique in that it started in Mexicali instead of Ensenada for the first time! Race down Hwy. 5 to 'The Poles' (Crucero la Trinidad) then west through San Matias... Like you said, the racers could pick their own route to the next checkpoint... some went through Mike's Sky Ranch and others through Trinidad to (near) San Vicente and headed south. The San Vicente route had more pavement to Camalu, but the road west from Trinidad was really bad... The Mike's Sky Rancho route was all graded. Once they got to Camalu then it was back on the previous year's course to La Paz. Starting in Mexicali and crossing over Baja like that made the Mexican 1000 almost 1000 miles (912 from my memory). Parnelli Jones won overall in his Big Oly Bronco!

thebajarunner - 8-2-2006 at 12:24 PM

PJ did indeed win it overall.
My partner Chuck Billington (recently killed in a light plane) and I finished second in pickups - our faithful Mercury pickup.
Big Bill Rush won 4 wheel drive class in a Stroppe Bronco.
Chuck and I pulled Jim Connor out of a mudhole near the beach at San Ignacio, he went on and finished well, thanked us for years for our help.
Great memories.

bajarunner

Baja Bernie - 8-2-2006 at 02:12 PM

Can I tell them you talk about a lot of this stuff and more in a special section--"So you'll know the SCORE".... written by you, in my new book--"THINK you know BAJA." By Bernie Swaim and a few of his Baja friends.

Oh! Yeah! Corky also has contributed a great story about running motors in Baja.

The book includes six special stories by six different Nomad Folk.

Just sent it of the the printer today.

Sunbelt will be carrying it and I understand Jim Tolbert will also be carrying it down Baja Sur way.

thebajarunner - 8-2-2006 at 02:38 PM

Bernie, I don't think it would be appropriate to plug your new book,
"THINK you know BAJA" by you and the rest of us.
Sounds way too commercial.
Besides, remember, I get 10cents per copy sold over the first 10,000 so do not want this to be such a hot seller that it breaks your bank with my royalties.... (oops, do the other guys know about our secret royalty deal?)
Anyway, don't advertise the book "THINK you know BAJA" here..
don't do it!

Mr. Comitan

Baja Bernie - 8-2-2006 at 04:12 PM

Sir,

I do not need the money I just have a great need to share my limited knowledge with others who love Baja. If that offends you I am sorry.

Confidential to Bernie

thebajarunner - 8-2-2006 at 04:24 PM

uhhhhhh, was my typical overdose of sarcasm not detected by some of the other readers????

plug that book for all it is worth.
Baja is the topic-of the book, and of this forum.

Comitan

Baja Bernie - 8-2-2006 at 06:58 PM

Just smile and I will shake you hand and all of this sillyness will behind us old guys.