BajaNomad

"hor de orves"

Debra - 8-1-2006 at 08:09 PM

I know I trashed that spelling........

anyway.....I'm in invited to a "Baja Vino" tasting afternoon up here in the "Great Pacific Northwest" and would like to take along a treat.....for the life of me I can't think of any Baja eats that would work......any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is to make some homemade bread and some fresh Baja salsa.....any good recipes? Thanks.....

Bruce R Leech - 8-1-2006 at 08:35 PM

Bruce's Bean dip.

Make the beans

smash the beans

add hot peppers garlic salt and red Chile salsa and anything else that strikes your fancy.

serve with your favorite dipping chips

Hors d'oeuvres

Bajalero - 8-1-2006 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
I know I trashed that spelling........

anyway.....I'm in invited to a "Baja Vino" tasting afternoon up here in the "Great Pacific Northwest" and would like to take along a treat.....for the life of me I can't think of any Baja eats that would work......any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is to make some homemade bread and some fresh Baja salsa.....any good recipes? Thanks.....

Never liked that word for some reason Debra. I think your spelling is better.

Any way , how about some scallop and bacon and jack cheese stuffed jalepenos?

Grind cooked bacon (not crisp) , add to coarse chopped scallops and shredded cheese (easy on bacon and cheese -you want mostly meat with just enough cheese for a binder for the stuffing mix), carefully slit one side of the pepper and clean out seeds and veins, stuff, coat with olive oil and bake or batter up and fry- but that might require beer instead of wine. You can leave out the bacon for a simpler taste and also sub shrimp or abulon' for the scallop

Lero

David K - 8-1-2006 at 08:44 PM

Holy Guacamole :

Fresh avocados (do you know where Fallbrook is?)

Smash 'em to Hell...

Add seasoning salt, diced onions, diced tomatos, cilantro, Tapatio or ? brand hot sauce... all above to taste.

Mix well... top with shreadded cheese and now you have a taste of Heaven.

Serve with rectangular restaurant style tortilla chips.

Paula - 8-1-2006 at 08:58 PM

Use any old corn muffin recipe and and add grated cheese (cheddar or monterrey), chopped green chiles (canned will do, but freshly roasted are better), cumin, oregano, maybe drained canned sweet corn. Bake them in mini muffin or tiny tart pans. Make them as close to the time of the event as possible, for sure on the same day. Be careful not to overbake them. If they feel soft but srping back when touched gently they are done.

Debra - 8-1-2006 at 09:23 PM

Thanks guys and gals! What I most love is not one "1/2 cup this, half ounce that" (that isn't how I cook either!) This is COOKING!

Please keep the ideas coming, I'm printing them all out....I love new ideas and 'mix them up', I'll let you know if I kill anyone! :spingrin:

Nomad's it the BEST!

capt. mike - 8-2-2006 at 05:25 AM

which wines paired best with hot/spicey dishes?
i never can get that one right.

bajabound2005 - 8-2-2006 at 07:28 AM

Fundido - super easy and everyone likes it.

Use Monterey Jack - you can dice it or shred it (a knife is easier to clean then the shredder so I opt for that) if you want to add, saute some onions and mushrooms as well or roast some poblanos, skin and julienne (rajas). Another good one is to saute some chorizo and add that. Just a small amount. Put all into a small casserole dish and into the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. Serve immediately with chips. You'll want to cook this AT the party!

You want super easy one -- a can of chili with meat, package of cream cheese. Mix together, heat and eat with chips. Heat enough to melt the cream cheese!

DanO - 8-2-2006 at 10:06 AM

Aren't you in the Northwest? A few dozen fresh oysters on the half shell, a squeeze of lime juice and a couple of drops of Tapatio on each. Bam! as the guy on TV says.

And David, no tomatoes and onions in my guacamole. No sir. Guacamole (avocado, salt, black pepper, finely diced serrano or jalapeno chile, and lime juice) goes in one bowl, pico de gallo (tomatoes, white onion, chopped chiles, chopped cilantro, lime juice) goes in another bowl.

Paula - 8-2-2006 at 02:10 PM

Dan O,

No garlic in the guacamole?? I put tomatoes in sometimes, but I think clasic guacamole is avocado, fresh lime juice, fresh garlic and salt, with chile optional.

R Derves

Cypress - 8-2-2006 at 02:26 PM

Good R Derves are a treat!

Paula - 8-2-2006 at 02:29 PM

So is good spelling:lol:

jerry - 8-2-2006 at 02:37 PM

the oysters and all shell fish on the washinton and oregon coast is closed for now because they will make you sick as a dog

Pops - 8-2-2006 at 04:35 PM

I thought it was "Horse's Ovaries"?:o:o

DanO - 8-2-2006 at 04:38 PM

No garlic in my guacamole, no ma'am. I'll tolerate a little cilantro in addition to the classic lineup of ingredients, but that's about it. Plus, chopping all that extra stuff up takes too much time and I'm hungry, dang it!

Jerry, is there a red tide up north, or are all the oysters up there in a spawning cycle?

Cincodemayo - 8-2-2006 at 04:39 PM

Heat up some Argentinian parboiled beef and it turns out like muchaca string beef, chopped up avacado, onions, refried beans, shredded cheese, chopped peppers and some homemade tortilla chips and voila....don't forget the salsa.

DanO - 8-2-2006 at 04:42 PM

Horse's ovaries? Can't eat salt water oysters? I have the answer -- Buffalo Rocky Mountain Oysters.
See this url.

http://www.exoticmeats.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_3...

[Edited on 8-2-2006 by DanO]

capt. mike - 8-2-2006 at 04:51 PM

ummmmm
i love nutz.

bovine ones that is.

and lamb nuts deep fried are good too.

try them with a chilled crisp dry white wine of your choosing.

bajabound2005 - 8-2-2006 at 05:02 PM

Oysters that aren't farmed should only be eaten in months with an R in the name. JanuaRy, FebruaRy, MaRch, ApRil, SeptembeR, OctobeR, NovembeR, DecembeR!! Farmed oysters are good year round!

David K - 8-2-2006 at 05:16 PM

Oh, that reminds me... lime juice and garlic in the Holy Guacamole too!

Whatever you got, put it in! Sorry Dan-O... but, no reason why we can't make one the way you like too!

How about deviled eggs??? Baja Angel makes great deviled eggs!!!

Now I am getting hungry!!!

Good thing I have a tri tip marinated with Santa Maria herbs and spices, in the oven!

jerry - 8-2-2006 at 08:17 PM

baja bound and dano
there not calling it a red tide but there is a acid in them that if eaten raw will make you sick and its all oysters farned or wild

shari - 8-2-2006 at 08:36 PM

One of my favorite classic Baja appetizer is "crema", which you can make with your choice of seafood (the favorite for birthday parties here is with weiners, yuck) My favorite is with caracol (giant sea snail), but it's also very nice with canned tuna...Here is the recipe, very easy and delicious.../serve this dip with taco or tortilla chips.

In the blender put the tuna, 2 big tablespoons of mayo, a small can of Veg-all or mixed veggies, some cream if you want (optional) and the key ingredient is the chile chipotle(these come in a little can)...depending on how hot or spicy you want it, use a half a chile or whole if you want it kinda hot...try it and you can always add more. Also add some salt and blend that baby up till it's a creamy texture that you can dip tortilla chips in which you can also make with corn tortillas cut in wedges and deep fried...delicioso.

I've also made it with octopus

bajabound2005 - 8-2-2006 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
baja bound and dano
there not calling it a red tide but there is a acid in them that if eaten raw will make you sick and its all oysters farned or wild

The month rule has nothing to do with the red tide...that's a universal rule for raw oysters. OK to do them BBQd or something...the whole "rule" could be an old wives tale!

jerry - 8-2-2006 at 09:17 PM

i really dont know but its all over the news here over 100 ppl got sick in or wa and bc
just cause its on the news dosent mean they know what there talking about

Funny how bad news travels fast

Sharksbaja - 8-2-2006 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
i really dont know but its all over the news here over 100 ppl got sick in or wa and bc
just cause its on the news dosent mean they know what there talking about

Jerry, the oyster prob was limited to the Hood River complex. The people who got sick from them lived in Wa, OR and BC. It's a shame the sensationalist news makes it hard for everyone. Although our choice oysters pose no harm to anyone the fact remains that very few are eating them for fear generated by all the hype.
Chances are I'll end nknown. up serving them to my family and crew rather than throw them out.

Bajabound: bi-valves like clams, mussels and oysters can tolerate an algal bloom but their tissue readily concentrates the evil toxins and will pass that accumulation on to all that eats them, fish, people, birds etc. The shellfish will need two to three weeks after an event occurs in order to flush the toxins out and become edible again.
Cooking DOES NOT remove the poisonous by-products associated with pyrodinium type sp. Cooking kills bacteria and other pathogens.

Hey anyone want a free oyster shooter! :lol: Seriously!:lol:

jerry - 8-3-2006 at 08:51 AM

sorry about that corky sounds like the meadia again has things fouled up
i hope it doesnt hit you too bad
sharks has the best seafood on the or coast as far as im concern

Bajalero - 8-3-2006 at 09:38 AM

jerry , I think this is the "acid " that is the cause of the shell fish problem and comes from the algae .

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/sf/Pubs/DomoicAcid.htm

I think Los Angeles had a simular problem a couple of years ago with high levels found in crabs and anchovies.

lero

Sharks

DanO - 8-3-2006 at 10:24 AM

Only if you guaranty those shooters ain't from the Hood River variety. Pretty heavy set of symptoms -- "vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal cramps within 24 hours of ingestion. In more severe cases, neurological symptoms develop within 48 hours and include headache, dizziness, confusion, disorientation, loss of short-term memory, motor weakness, seizures, profuse respiratory secretions, cardiac arrhythmias, coma and possibly death. Short term memory loss is permanent." Of course, I already suffer from confusion, disorientation, motor weakness and short term memory loss, but I don't think the rest are worth the risk.

Bad Seafood

Cypress - 8-3-2006 at 11:19 AM

Been sick from eating bad fish. Cigerata? Damn near killed me, thought it was a hangover. It wasn't.

David K - 8-3-2006 at 11:27 AM

A clam c-cktail from one of the fish taco places in San Felipe about killed me, in 2003! Never again will I trust a pretty face when she tells me her clams are fresh!:lol:

I was four wheeling with Max and Polly on the San Fermin Plain when it began to hit me (maybe a dozen hours after eating the clams). If I was going to die, Shell Island is where I want to be... so I declined their invite back to their place and headed to the island to be left alone!

Max (Mcgyver/ gilaoro) just before a dust devil hit our lunch stop!:

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by David K]

Debra - 8-3-2006 at 07:15 PM

Hey! Is this what some are talking about "hi-jacking my thread"?.....(LOL!)

(Don't tell anybody, but, I love it when minds wander and stories are told)

Thanks for all the good mouth watering ideas!

BTW: the "alert" is to not eat RAW Oysters

jerry - 8-3-2006 at 09:45 PM

sorry debra
im the one to blame for getting off subject
just like to keep my friends as in formed as i can
injoy the pnw great summers
winter sucks unless you like not seeing the sun for like 5 months

Had to

Tomas Tierra - 8-3-2006 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pops
I thought it was "Horse's Ovaries"?:o:o

no Pops it's "hoars livers":lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you have 6 hours or so...a big batch of Ceviche is always a hit!!!

jerry - 8-3-2006 at 11:08 PM

great idea ceviche but dont make the mistake of making it out of fresh water fish you will get tape worms and or a lot of other nasty stuff as long as its salt water fish or shell fish its fine with a little lime and salt tomato celentro onion garlic and some tender lovin care chips or crackers
oopes no shell fish right now

Tomas Tierra - 8-4-2006 at 11:04 AM

don't use fresh water fish for anything...YUCK..tastes like mud...If it eats bugs, it aint no good....real fish don't eat pellets!!

I don't waste my time unless I've got a brand new white sea bass..spoiled I guess...

Debra - 8-4-2006 at 01:45 PM

Ceviche was my first thought.....but, no Yellowtail up here, and unless I see it caught with my own eyes and can cut it up on the spot, I would not ever feed it to anyone!

Tomas, I beg to differ with you on the fresh water fish thing......nothing better than fresh Trout and eggs for breadfast! YUMMMMMMM!

And everytime you post that photo, my mouth waters! The only thing missing is the ginger!

Tomas Tierra - 8-4-2006 at 04:07 PM

Ginger?? I'm not sure what you mean there Debra....
that photo is wore out..

It's been a month or so since we've had a good fish for ceviche.....sounds good on a hot summer day after my SECOND surf session...AHHHH, summer