BajaNomad

Pesky Poop Problem!!

Bedman - 8-17-2006 at 12:39 AM

It seems that I have built a Seagull - Crow - Buzzard - Pelican Outhouse!!
We haven't had the opportunity to correct the problem, Yet. Befor I blow all my bubblegum money on Rubber Snakes, Plastic Owls, Screening material and Shiny C/D's hanging from the rafters. I figured it would be wise and forthright to request recommendations from the Sage folks here on a Remedy of the problem.

Any and all suggestions Greatly appreciated.

Another shot of the Garage

Bedman - 8-17-2006 at 12:42 AM

Bruce R Leech - 8-17-2006 at 06:27 AM

that is one ugly structure. maybe the birds are trying to tell you something:lol:

bancoduo - 8-17-2006 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
that is one ugly structure. maybe the birds are trying to tell you something:lol:
What do you expect for $10/hr.:lol::lol::lol:

Frank - 8-17-2006 at 08:42 AM

Put a ceiling up, then they will have less places to sit and squat.

Frank has it right, I am thinking-------

Barry A. - 8-17-2006 at 08:51 AM

-----but I would go further and restrict bird access to all those stringers by closing up the ends, too. You don't want a mess in the attic-----------makes things too odorific.

Maybe chicken wire???? so the ventilation continues???

Bruce R Leech - 8-17-2006 at 09:17 AM

lets see, what would look better the bird poop or the chicken wire?:?:

well at least with the chicken wire you could raise some chickens to eat, but you would still have the poop. but it always looks better when it comes from your own birds:lol:

Jeez Bruce, I hope you and Bedman are buddies.

vgabndo - 8-17-2006 at 09:45 AM

I love your idea of having that much elevated deck area, and given the architectural standards of the average Baja community, I think you've done fine.

Clearly, it will be possible to limit roosing space to the railings and the top of the roof. I would look for the least expensive appropriate sheet goods and build a ceiling, and as Barry says, close the gable ends too. Ventilation of the enclosed space is very important or you'll cook your roof covering from the inside, limiting its useful life. I would use gable vents and at least as much square area in frieze block screening. The ceiling may even reduce temperatures on the deck by eliminating the radiation of heat to the living area from the underside of the sheathing.

In the end, it may be necessary to make removable screen panels you can put up when you are away for extended periods, if that is the case, as I suspect you have less problem with roosting when there is lots of human activity around the place.

It looks like a perfect "rest area" for both birds and people!

Another thought: If the deck was waterproof, and I assume it has slope, you could just hose it off as required.

Two cents from the Home Inspector.:lol:

Jack Swords - 8-17-2006 at 10:12 AM

The owls, CDs, etc. have all be used by boaters for their moored boats with little success. I have seen boats moored for years in the Bay of La Paz that have monofilament line strung all between the rigging that are poop-free. Seems the birds don't like entanglement with the line and it is not that visible. They just go somewhere else. Cheap and easy "solution" for that roosting area. Let us know what you eventually do.

Bajame - 8-17-2006 at 10:36 AM

Hire the energizer bunny, turn him on when you leave, he'll keep going, going, going------------------! Another idea! Put the chicken wire on the inside of the roof, there will be no where for them to roost. You can also find wire that has smaller holes that will even be better.

Roberto - 8-17-2006 at 11:03 AM

Bedman, if they are roosting on the rafters and doing their business, here is a solution for you - apply to top of rafters, and no more roosting!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte...

[Edited on 8-17-2006 by Roberto]

Cypress - 8-17-2006 at 11:35 AM

Roberto! Those spikes look tuff! Good idea! I was thinking about a solar powered hot-wire that would tickle their gonads. If they visit/roost at night it would have to be powered other than solar. Might make 'em poop more than usual when they got the jolt?

Cincodemayo - 8-17-2006 at 11:44 AM

Roberto...The spikes are used extensively by the Washington State Ferry System on all the lighting , terminal roofs and railings so the seagulls don't land and crap on cars and people walking on the ferrys. They work great.

Sharksbaja - 8-17-2006 at 02:03 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech - 8-17-2006 at 03:50 PM

all kidding aside I think you need to learn to live with the Birds. after all they were there first. try painting your thing the same color as the bird poop or some thing like that. to do anything to make them go away would be like some one moving to Mexico and kicking all of the Mexicans out. just be glad that you can provide them with a nice perch and a little shade. some food and fresh water would be nice also.

good luck and enjoy your new Friends

bancoduo - 8-17-2006 at 04:06 PM

What do Mexican birds eat?:?::?::?:

Roberto - 8-17-2006 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
all kidding aside I think you need to learn to live with the Birds. after all they were there first. try painting your thing the same color as the bird poop or some thing like that. to do anything to make them go away would be like some one moving to Mexico and kicking all of the Mexicans out. just be glad that you can provide them with a nice perch and a little shade. some food and fresh water would be nice also.

It's not the birds he's worried about, Bruce! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, the device I listed has been put to good use in the Marine industry for years.

Bob and Susan - 8-17-2006 at 04:51 PM

Bedman you'll look back later and laugh....:lol:

Bruce R Leech - 8-17-2006 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

It's not the birds he's worried about, Bruce! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, the device I listed has been put to good use in the Marine industry for years.

It seems that I have built a Seagull - Crow - Buzzard - Pelican Outhouse!!

fish I guess:lol:

Diver - 8-17-2006 at 05:01 PM

Bruce,

Are you drinking again ?? Too funny !

Bedman,

1. Careful closing in the gables if there is much wind in your area. Make sure the shole thing won't blow over or lift off from the extra wind force.
2. Once you've closed in or screened the top of your big bird house, they will move down to a less desireable but still satisfactory location on your railings.
3. Walls are the only cure to keep all those danged nature's critters and their poops away.

They oughta learn not to poop an your place, eh ?? :lol::lol::lol:

Tomas Tierra - 8-17-2006 at 06:48 PM

slingshot, marbles and a case of beer:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

live birds don't like to hang with dead birds

Ideas, One and All

Bedman - 8-17-2006 at 06:57 PM

Bruce,
Although I'm sure you have your degree in Architectural Design, I really don't care about your personell opinions. As most other people in the world, my Mother taught me, * "If you don't have something nice to say, Don't say anything at all. Do you have any pertinent information or solution to my problem? If not, I'm sure your a Quick Study*.

Bancoduo,
Not sure what the final hourly rates I pay are. I do know that the pay rate is way higher than the average paid

Frank and Barry A.
Thank you for taking the time to offer valid, viable solutions. Chicken wire or screening material in lieu of a ceiling looks like a portion of the solution.

Vgabndo,
You are most correct with regards to the "Ventilation" . Again i think Netting on the bottom of the cross supports is the way to go. On the gable ends I think Netting will work as well. Yes, the deck area is waterproof and I have the Power Washer packed and ready for our next trip. It is a very comfortable place to set and watch the sun rise, have a morning cup of coffee, a small dinner party, or just a place to get away to.
Thanks for your "Two Cents"

Jack Swords,
I have thought a bit on the problem with the safety rails running the perimeter. A length of 40# or 50# mono strung parralell to the top rail, about 6 inches high, would make it difficult for all but the smallest bird to land.

Bajame,
If only I could Find the Energizer Bunny and his Bass drum, I'd send him to Bruce's house. Bunnies do Poop, don't they! : )

Roberto,
I Really like the plastic spikes, but YIKES!! That stuff is Expensive at $5.00 a foot! The link did get my brain moving and I've found a resource that deals with all kinds of Bird roosting solutions. Thanks for the lead!

Cypress,
I thought about a Hot Wire too....but after a moment or two, I realized it wouldn't work for this application. Thanks

Cincodemayo,
You are so right. The spikes are used extensively, even here in O.C. In fact, the Irvine co. used them on the Train terminal building.

Soulpatch,
You know me and my thoughts on them!! I'll play nice here.

Bob and Susan,
Trust me, I already Am!! : )

Diver,
You are so right with regards to the winds in Bahia De Los Angeles. I've seen them hit 60 mph. and heard of 70+ Hence, the open beam design with trusses every 18" facing into the prevailing wind.

Freaking102,
I like the fishing net motif. We'll have to make a trip over to Mallarimo. I hear there is always lots of old nets lieing around.

Thomas Tierra,
4 of the 7 grandkids will be with us over Christmas and New Years. Can you say Lime Cannon?

Thank you all, for the Great (and the Not So Great) Ideas!! Any more?

Bedman

Packoderm - 8-17-2006 at 07:03 PM

Here's an idea, do the whole thing in chicken wire but then cover it with 4X8 sheets of criss-cross lattice boards. You can get the pre-stained lattice to meet Bruce's approval if desired. I've seen this done and it looks rustic yet semi-classy. But we (those who have been to what was once Camp Gecko) all know Bedman and his family is classy anyway.

Roberto - 8-17-2006 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
I Really like the plastic spikes, but YIKES!! That stuff is Expensive at $5.00 a foot!

It's that "marine" moniker. Take a $5.00 tarp, relabel it as marine boatcover and presto! you can sell it for $50.00:lol:

But, you got the point of the link. That stuff works.

Al G - 8-17-2006 at 07:34 PM

Bedman, there are a lot of solutions, but a solid or close to solid ceiling is the answer, because birds will not fly into a tunnel.

Packoderm - 8-17-2006 at 07:59 PM

When I said cover the whole thing in chicken wire and then cover with lattice, I meant the ceiling and gable ends - not the walls and everything.

Bruce R Leech - 8-17-2006 at 08:38 PM

Wow Bedman you really have thin skin. It is obvious to me that your construction is built for function and comfort rather than for beauty and structural integrity. it would be my guess that it is on a leased lot, and in that case I would have not done it much deferent. I was just funning with you.

you shuld see some of my projects.:lol:

sorry If I hurt your feelings. just trying to liven things up around here .

Bedman - I like it

Stickers - 8-17-2006 at 09:10 PM

I do have a degree in Architectural Design and I like your garage. The structure looks cool (pun intended) and the open trusses are very nice. It would be a shame to cover it up and not enjoy seeing the structure. Under the harsh environmental circumstances of Baja any opening or shade will find volunteers to occupy it. Obviously screening the perimeter would be the best solution. You can get rolls of 1/4" galvanized screen and maybe nail it on with wooden frames. Chicken wire leaves too much room for visitors.

Be thankful that you are BELOW the border...

Mexray - 8-17-2006 at 09:49 PM

...If your 'casa' were up here in alta California, you would now have to hire a consulting firm and file an Environment Impact Study showing proof that you aren't going to 'injure' the poor, disadvantaged, wild life that have been seeking their 'rights' to the shade you created...:O

This Study would take several years, of course, and cost you well over $100K! Then, in order for you to 'move' the fowl, you would be required to mitigate the situation by erecting an additional, twice-sized structure nearby to allow the birds to roost without upsetting their lifestyle.

If it were me, when nobody was looking, I'd probably use some well-placed buckshot to 'thin out their ranks' and use the free-range fowl to feed the equally disadvantaged Coyotes in the area....:spingrin:...JUST KIDDING, I'd use em' for fish-bait...:tumble:

On a more serious note, I used to use all those AOL CD's I got in the mail every month to hang on my boat - didn't work after about a week! Tried one of those 'plastic owls' - the birds just used it for another perch to poop on - finally used some transparent fish line hanging around...worked better than any other scheme, and may be you best solution, as it wouldn't be very visible up there under your roof.

longlegsinlapaz - 8-17-2006 at 09:57 PM

Bedman

I don't have a degree in anything but life, and it's really sad that some people can't see the fact that they're insulting even in apology attempts, but I do know a nice looking, hell-for-stout, well-built structure when I see one! As do the birds obviously! Personally, I'd opt for the least visible soultion (fine gauge wire or screening) to enclose the rafters to the roofline, leaving it open to the air, but make sure all the birds are OUT before you secure the last bit in place! ;) I'm with Stickers....don't change the appearance of the open trusses! I'd do the screening on top of the rafters & inside the trusses....I'd use a staple gun inside & close the rafters from above, leaving a small area in one corner to get out of! You could affix that end section of wire/screening to a small piece of wood & pre-drill a couple screws unobtrousively from the outside to allow you to get out, as well as future access.

Good luck there Bedman

Sharksbaja - 8-18-2006 at 12:52 AM

I suppose you've now visualized some tangible possibilities. That structure poses a haven as it sits. Changes to exclude the roosters may just move them permanently. Most birds are inherently afraid of enclosed spaces. We all know what would happen should a bird ffly into a similar place with a big tomcat in there!:o
Hence, I think clever screening maybe a little bamboo & lattice work to tie-in the cinder block. great fer hangin' awesome flotsam and jetsome! :lol: Think shade and breeze. Are u going to plant anything tall around it?

Hey, where's a good raptor when you need one.

Would you like a few nuetered farm cats:lol: joke intended;):coolup::cool:

Thanks again for the Good suggestions

Bedman - 8-18-2006 at 01:21 AM

Packoderm,

The lattice work is a fine idea. II presumed you meant just the ceiling and gables. 'll have to pass all of these concepts onto the wife. Thanks for the Good idea and the compliment. Gecko is still there, we just won't have the same amount of traffic we used to.

Roberto,
You have the Marine retailers pegged!

Al G,
Really? I think your right. Another potential remedy.

Bruce R Leech,
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce....... You should quit before the hole gets so deep you find yourself begging for a ladder. I didn't realize YOUR Skin was so thin. I would speculate from other posts you have made, that you have been down this road before. I again can only presume that your Architectural Design degree didn't arrive from that college on the internet. Please, tell me How I can improve the Structural Design? Show me what you would have designed to be more "Beautiful". And By Golly, you are right, I did lease the 1/2 acre. No, I didn't buy it for $200,000 and then try to sell it for $175,000. I'm not that smart. Just ,FUNNING back with you, Don't get your panties in a twist. Sorry if I hurt Your feelings.

Stickers,
Glad you like the design. I'm leaning toward the screen/Shad cloth that is available at most Garden centers. Thanks!
The attached picture might look a little familiar to you......

Mexray,
As always, your cool, calm, comedic insight inspires, but you don't post enough!! The Monofilament will probably be a temporary fix.

Longlegsinlapaz,
Great name. Thank you for the accolades. I am beginning to see a clear choice of the people. Netting/Fish nets/Monofilament!!

Sharks,
D.W. plans on having a few hanging pots here and there. Not being able to water July, Aug. and Sept makes it tough. Tall plants take too long to get tall enough. Flotsam and Jetsom will be accrued over time and hung with pride. I'm the only Neutered Male allowed in the house!! All Jokes greatly appreciated.

Debra - 8-18-2006 at 02:59 AM

Bedman......Hum, good ideas all.

Here's a simpler solution.....

1) Daisy (can't imagine any bird that would DARE!) someone already mentioned the Energizer Bunny. I'd already thought of Daisy.

2) Keicko (22# house-sitting feline.....you pay for the groceries).....just kidding, wayyyyyy too expencive!

Really, seems the idea to block of those rafters makes the best sense. Good luck!

Skeet/Loreto - 8-18-2006 at 12:14 PM

Bedman; My wife and I just finished "Her" Barn. It is a Wood Structure with "Ready-Built Trusses.
There are rolls of Black netting Material at Lowes are Home Depot. Take the Netting and staple to the Trusses.
It has worked fine> The Wrens we allow to make their Mud Nests under the eves over the Dorrs of our Home. It is messy but there is an old saying in Texas"that if a Wren chooses your Home it means Good Luck.
Good Luck
Skeet/Loreto

THE SOLUTION

Sonora Wind - 8-18-2006 at 06:18 PM

dose Gatos: In fact a great name for your Mexico Rancho. Two Cats of farel nature. They eat the problem and bury the evidence. :cool:

[Edited on 8-19-2006 by Sonora Wind]

Bedman - 8-18-2006 at 08:03 PM

Debra,
Daisy would only lick them, or Point them. Your cat would be a better solution.

Skeet,
That is pretty much what we intend to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sonora Wind,
I like the name, "Dos Gatos", but then we'd have to change the current name from "Casa de Camas".

Bedman

Al G - 8-18-2006 at 08:31 PM

Bedman...If you use Netting, You should soak it in CWF. (Clear wood finish) or some good preservative. When it turns white (5years +-???)Dip it again.
As you know monofiliment won't last very long, but String dipped in CWF will last several years.
Just a thought. if that is the direction your are heading I think it is as good as any, and netting hung on cup hooks can be removed easy.

Debra - 8-20-2006 at 03:28 AM

Bedman:

I have to fess up here. Keicko only looks scary (size) if the truth be told he cuts a wide berth around my baby bird, she's little, but IS scary! More pathetic is that the wild birds will come and dine at the feeder on our deck with Keicko sitting next to it! He gets no respect. :no:

ME - 8-20-2006 at 09:42 AM

Bruce is right... the place has no structural Integrity. If you look at your picture of the Irvine Transpo. Ctr. you will see a solid wall down one side and steel columns with a partial solid wall down the other, these are providing latteral sheer value that is tided in/transferd from the foundation thru the roof sheeting. your small knee braces at your post to beam connection are inadequate for the wind your talking about. some temporary diagonal bracing is advised until you get that resolved... also a cooler full of beer, slingshots and a sack of marbles sounds like solid entertainment, I think I would start there:yes:

Paulina - 8-26-2006 at 12:02 PM

Steve,

What ever you do to correct the problem, I want you to know that I was only kidding in my email when I asked you to send them over to my house. Please keep that info on the down low to your feathered friends. Good luck!

As always,
P.

4baja - 8-27-2006 at 05:53 PM

steveo, you all ready have my advise so i wont mention it again. did i say pellet gun? o by the way dont use green matt as in this other persons idea, it has gone to the wind if you know what i mean.:coolup:

aha baja - 9-1-2006 at 08:25 PM

:rolleyes:

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]

Hook - 9-2-2006 at 01:02 AM

Classic subterfuge post, 4baja. :lol::lol::lol::lol: ;)

So, what's the poop?

aha baja - 9-2-2006 at 08:52 AM

You will have to explain what subterfuge is to that person. That persons message sounds like psychobabble.

Paulina - 9-2-2006 at 10:39 AM

Subterfuge
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Subterfuge can be any deceptive strategem or manoeuvre designed to take advantage of an opponent. Subterfuge is a recognized skill in situations of war or international spying. It has fewer positive connotations when used in the context of politics or personal relations.

Subterfuge may be legal and ethical (such as encouraging someone to spend the day shopping in order to prepare a surprise party for them) or illegal and unethical.

4baja - 9-3-2006 at 07:01 AM

hook,since we no longer have anything to do with this person i thought that i would let him know in a round about way that his green matt is history because of wind damage and after this hurricane hits us its sure to become a part of the desert. but as usual he takes a stab at me for trying to help so bring in the wind john!!!!! pshcobabble sounds like somthing a babby does and havent heard the term in years. looks like i will be makeing a trip down next week to check out any damage, hope fully my pallapa hasnt blown down. sounds like a good excuse for a fishing trip:bounce::coolup:

aha baja - 9-3-2006 at 08:29 AM

Doc said yesterday that a small flap that was a temporary sun shade is flappin in the wind. The rest of it over the slab is in good shape and has survived. If properly anchored it will last years. PS saw your new boat ...it's awsome! looks fast and seaworthy.:yes:That being the said, remember the ol saying "what other people think about me is none of my business" You should keep that in mind as there are lots of people that don't care to hang with you either.

4baja - 9-3-2006 at 10:59 AM

hook, you know what im saying.:coolup:

aha baja - 9-3-2006 at 11:06 AM

I love the "trying to help" in your post.... how altruistic. Why should you start now.... you know what i mean.

Hook - 9-3-2006 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
hook, you know what im saying.:coolup:

I do.

In my rather satiric way, I was actually complementing you on a post that communicated without revealing overly much. Great between-the-lines reading.

It left most of us wondering, but I think that was the intent. In this case, I intended no negative connotations to the word subterfuge; in fact, until Paulina posted the def., I never gave it any neg. connotations.

aha baja - 9-4-2006 at 06:02 AM

10-4

Bob and Susan - 9-4-2006 at 06:26 AM

Bedman

After this "John storm" if it's still up it will stand ANYTHING!!!:smug: