BajaNomad

What constitutes a post worthy of "viewing"

Sharksbaja - 9-17-2006 at 12:10 AM

the operative word being "view"

Funny what a Nomad or anyone else for that matter, of the thousands of daily visitors as of late, finds worthy of viewing.
I see that "Palm trees" and "Air rifles" takes stage over one that focuses on human disaster and actual help for those individuals.
No offense, good topics.

Not an insult as much as an embarassment IMHO, to mankind and his plight, by fellow forum visitors..

I am sorry to you that this applies to, that don't even care enough to open a thread designed to help "real people" not just armchair enthusiasts. Odd how they always "open" tragedy threads and posts.

Stay tuned for a cartoon..................:?:

------------

So I put to you the million dollar question: Why don't you care? Is it the author, or the subject?
I gots to know. Gots to know who were dealin' with.

Kudos to the "Real Nomads" who just even bothered to look.
As far as the rest..........shame on you...........:P
Recently I noticed an increase of unknown concerned posters. Thank you folks for joining with your good intents.

I also noticed a decrease in other "usual" posters. Quite a shock actually. I really thought I knew some of them.

I was once told by someone I lookedm up to: " when the chips are down the good get going"

I never till this day personally realized what that meant.

end of rant:lol:

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Skeet/Loreto - 9-17-2006 at 01:21 AM

Sharks:
For me it is the People! Good , Bad ,are Indeferent.
I like to find out "What makes People Tick?"When and if, you do get a Background, it gives you and Idea of "Where they are coming from"when they Post their Words.

I too noticed a change in this Board when The Storm Approached--Indifference? Lack of Knowledge?- Concerned only for Themselves?- Scared and Fearfull- Avoiding Reality?

Who really Knows, when we are unable to Look the Poster in the Eye, observe their Actions, check their Body Lanuage,??

Actions Speak Much Louder than Words.

Anon The Preacher

Sharksbaja - 9-17-2006 at 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Sharks:
For me it is the People! Good , Bad ,are Indeferent.

Actions Speak Much Louder than Words.

Anon The Preacher

AMEN brother!:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by Sharksbaja]

FARASHA - 9-17-2006 at 03:01 AM

I can speak only for myself - I go first by my interests - most of the time I don't even look who's the Author of a thread.
Then, if I have enough time I would look up others.
And interests can shift of course, depending on events, moods, private matters, etc...Might be for those you miss, the same. Out of the current event, where most people are tied up with after JOHN Help and clean up.
BUT:
The Views might have also to do now with lots of YOUNGER members ( not by age only meant).
The Newbies are less hesitant to join any thread and post everyhwere, and have no idea about the other members position, the Rivalry going on between them, etc.
If you miss certain people now, then maybe they feel overrun ,by so many NEWBIES, that they are a bit uncertain if and how to deal with this shift.Perceive them maybe as Invaders to their Territory??
Territorial Behavior is a big ruler of the Human Race.
WHAT do you Think SENIORS?????

Sharksbaja - 9-17-2006 at 03:12 AM

I think you'll fit right in.;D

Cypress - 9-17-2006 at 05:26 AM

View just about all posts. Contribute only if I have anything to add, question, or to support a posters statement. Have on occasion posted personal feelings about issues that have no direct impact on me. Guess people post if the urge hits 'em to do so?

jerry - 9-17-2006 at 08:28 AM

sharks noone reallt knows what goes on behind the scene
the surfice can be very misleading
example bruces post needing help i saw no post by you sharks
but id bet a lot was said in u2u and emails
so itst hard to tell
if i have something to say directed to a individual person ill u2u so ppl may never know where im coming from

jerry - 9-17-2006 at 08:31 AM

i allways go to todays posts first then look for posts that relate to ppl and places close to loreto first then off to intresting things and if there time read the rest
if im out of town for a few days some thing go by the wayside

shari - 9-17-2006 at 09:48 AM

Hey Sharkey...I've been overwhelmed by the number of posts and avoid posting comments unless it's important. I posted offering a place to stay for those needing it, either the homeless or those helping to clean up the mess. Sometimes it bugs me to have to scroll through useless comments and I don't want to add to this nauseum! We sent food and clothes with the truck that went to Mulege from the coop here and helped in this way. I was gonna post a silly comment about wanting rain here (as we received ne'er a drop) but deleted it as there are enough comments in bad taste already. But I love this forum and am totally addicted much to the dismay of my esposo! Sirena is very busy at school and has not been on the computer at all...I miss her posts...anyway, the offer is still open if any of you Mulege folks just wanna get away from the mud for awile...we will take your mind off the nasties...love...shari

toneart - 9-17-2006 at 09:54 AM

What I think Sharks is getting at is an imbalance in what people prefer to view in the posts that appear here. Topics such as Palm Trees and Air Rifles seem trivial in the face of the crisis and suffering that is caused by hurricanes.

First of all, we who are directly involved in the crisis are closer to the story. Our interest is acute. We are intimately familiar with the territory and its people. During the communications blackout, we worried about friends and loved ones. In some cases, our worst fears were realized. There were deaths and there was massive destruction of homes, boats, trailers, RVs and livestock. For those who were there and lived through the frightening horror, it was much worse, and their plight and needs are ongoing.

Secondy, the shameful neglect by the media resulted in diminished emergency supplies and relief funds not getting collected and not reaching the stricken areas in a timely manner. The rest of the world simply was not aware of the crisis. And the world is still not aware of the ongoing needs. The media was only concerned about how the tourists in Cabo San Lucas suffered by having their vacations ruined. Thats it! That was THE story!

The Mexican Military were the first responders. They were repairing roads, delivering emergency supplies by helicopter, providing security and actually helping with some of the cleanup.

For many days, the BajaNomad was the only source of news.
Thanks to the members of this board, the word got out to the wonderful service organizations and help was mobilized. Rotarians, The Baja Bush Pilots, The Flying Samaritans, The Mexican Red Cross, individuals who set up relief funds such as Sharksbaja and Cabomagic, all responded heroically.

It is my observation that many newbies joined the board because of the disaster as word got around, and many have been very helpful.

We are emotionally bound the the event at hand, but for those who are not, I can see how they are going about their daily lives and persuing other interests.

Lastly, I think a topic exploring why the media didn't respond (with the exception of Sandra Dibble of The San Diego Union) is in order. I will start it.

Cypress hit the nail on the head for me----

Barry A. - 9-17-2006 at 10:06 AM

-------This is a great thread, and something for all of us to think about. But tho very simplistic (and I like that) Cypress has really said it all for me.

Cypress said: "View just about all posts. Contribute only if I have anything to add, question, or to support a posters statement. Have on occasion posted personal feelings about issues that have no direct impact on me. Guess people post if the urge hits 'em to do so?"

We all have our special interests, and deep feelings and prejudices, but that gets sooooo complicated that I do not think it can completely be addressed in a "post", and knowing that does effect what we respond to.

This latest tragedy is pretty overwhelming, not only for those caught up in it, but for all of us!!!!

Someone asked about Seniors

Baja Bernie - 9-17-2006 at 10:07 AM

I guess I sure are one and so I will pitch my pesos in and see what happens.

When I look at post I look for value (to me and friends) then I look for specific posters I have learned to avoid. I look to see what the newby's are feeling and saying (use it for background but mostly ignore it--no offense--because at my age I could care less how some girlfriend fared in her test exposure to Baja). Then I look for the meat that a few of my favorite posters always seem able to toss into the pot.

I also believe that most of us seniors have a different approach to tragedy--and that is privacy. We don't bang on our chests and tell everybody how much we are helping the less fortunate. We just do it without the fanfare. I also believe that for many folks the constant and unorganized repeating (like the evening news) of an event has a certain burn out factor--it not that we are doing nothing to help or that we don't care--WE KNOW THE PROBLEM ALREADY so let's help but let's also get on with our lives.

I believe that it is perfectly natural for many newby's to be interested in other things BECAUSE they do not have the emotional attachment that others have because of esposure and time.

I guess I can say for many that after a time the tears just seem to dry up as life continues.

Oh! Yes, I contribute when I feel I have something of value to say.

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by Baja Bernie]

cat127 - 9-17-2006 at 10:39 AM

Being excited and interested in something new for me.... living in Baja sooner rather than later..... makes me look at posts I probably would ignore on the "punaweb" forum that is much like bajanomad only for my current area.

Also having a natural curiosity about things.... I love all the pictures posted. Weather is also important to me. Road conditions. People's favorite places to go... where to stay...

Thanks to all the seniors for their sage (no pun intended) advice.

-Cat

Now were talkin' or rather, viewing

Sharksbaja - 9-17-2006 at 12:33 PM

A topic that has always piqued my interest.

Jerry, you are probably one of the most perceptive posters I almost know. :lol:. Painfully so sometimes, thanks.
There is more reality within a post to some than to others. Cyber talk is strange in that for all the good intent and purpose it does not always reflect back the same image as one might expect. Tragedy might spawn a look but asking for help for that tragedy may not. See my point.
Merely an observation. Isn't is what most do..

BucYouUp68 - 9-17-2006 at 12:40 PM

Good Question, I am new here but very active on other boards. I don't know what the answer is, i guess just personal preference. I posted my first post here yesterday to help the people of Mulege, I have lots to offer, and my Fishing Club is doing it's part to get me the Donations. I really wanted to get all the stuff to a friend in Mulege, but he has left because it is so bad. My post was to find a trustworthy person to get all these donations to, and got ONE reply. Is it that nobody know's? COnfused new member. :fire:

By the way, The Club that will be sending the Donations Is

Coastsidefishingclub.com

Now you understand this post

Sharksbaja - 9-17-2006 at 01:06 PM

I just looked at your post. Only 58 folks viewed it of which I was one. It seemed you acknowledged Lindsays' post and it also looked like a good place to start sseeking help with the donations.
The problem I see here is more like matching up your stuff with someone able to bring pallets of donated material all the way to Mulege.
If I could I would. To be frank, I have been pledged stuff from a number of entities and big corps alike..... haven't seen squat but they sure acted interested. It may be a credibility issue. We are not a professional charity but we are professional enough not to make promises and/or commitments we can't delier on. WTS, keep trying. If the donations are there ready to go it's possible a short drive from you could expedite delivery to those who need it..

Yikes, that banner signature overwelms your post.:o:lol:

BucYouUp68 - 9-17-2006 at 01:12 PM

I am up in Pacific Grove, but have Employee pricing from FedEx. I will ship this to whoever that is willing to accept, as long as I am sure it is going to get to the people that need it. I have emailed the people that lindsay has suggested, but have not recieved a reply. Hopefully tommorrow they will reply so this can be shipped. I do however know about the credibilty issue as I am concerned as well. Thanks for your response to this post. Could not help with the signature, maybe others have heard of us and will feel better about accepting donations.

[Edited on 9-17-2006 by BucYouUp68]

Couple of thoughts...

vgabndo - 9-17-2006 at 01:58 PM

First, I guess I would aspire to the Cypress school of thought. Second, I don't want to make promises I can't keep. When we have a schedule and head south, the Nomads will ceretainly know how much extra hauling capacity I have, and I'll pick up stuff along the way if that is a help. And last, I didn't respond to BYU68's post because I thought it was all in the previous posts, and wasn't that difficult to research. Back to the Cypress school...I was also sure that there were other more frequent posters who knew a whale of a lot more about it than I did.

I go straight to "Today's Posts", respond if I have something to share, and lurk around through the other things that interest me. I almost always open your posts Corky, 'cause you da man. :lol:

I occasionally lurk over to "off-topic" to see if people are still calling me names.

Although I have not been able to contribute more that a few bucks to hurricane relief, I have been incredibly proud to share the name Nomad with so many "humans" who really showed their stuff when the world wasn't paying any attention. You know who you are. It feels really good to be an American once again standing on the "moral high ground".

Viva los Nomads!

DENNIS - 9-17-2006 at 01:59 PM

I have found here, that a post worthy of viewing is usually a question. This board is no different than any other in so much as most people respond just to hear themselves talk or, they just talk to themselves, probably as I am doing now.
I've only been around here a short time but, it became immediatly apparent to me that there is a "good ol' boy' network here who tend to have their own line of private communication in the midst of all else happening.
That's fine ..... probably good. But to wonder why participant behavior is different is to ignore the fact that here, there are private conversations in a public room and in order to participate, one has to join the more mundane threads, such as BB guns and palm trees. Besides, how many times do the people in Mulege want to hear, "Good Luck", from strangers?

Baja California has produced a certain snobbery unlike any other place I've been. I saw it forty years ago and I see it now. I dont know why it is but, some people act like they discovered this place and everybody else is an intruder. There is a bit of that sentiment displayed here at times.
Anyway, since "seniors" are so revered here and Newbies only tolerated in many cases, perhaps the board should be a private place, for the seniors who discovered it.

I stick with my assesment. If one wants to participate, the best way is to ask questions.

O.K. ...... Im putting on body armor
Later ..... Dennis

Sharksbaja - 9-17-2006 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I have found here, that a post worthy of viewing is usually a question. This board is no different than any other in so much as most people respond just to hear themselves talk or, they just talk to themselves, probably as I am doing now.
I've only been around here a short time but, it became immediatly apparent to me that there is a "good ol' boy' network here who tend to have their own line of private communication in the midst of all else happening.
That's fine ..... probably good. But to wonder why participant behavior is different is to ignore the fact that here, there are private conversations in a public room and in order to participate, one has to join the more mundane threads, such as BB guns and palm trees. Besides, how many times do the people in Mulege want to hear, "Good Luck", from strangers?

Baja California has produced a certain snobbery unlike any other place I've been. I saw it forty years ago and I see it now. I dont know why it is but, some people act like they discovered this place and everybody else is an intruder. There is a bit of that sentiment displayed here at times.
Anyway, since "seniors" are so revered here and Newbies only tolerated in many cases, perhaps the board should be a private place, for the seniors who discovered it.

I stick with my assesment. If one wants to participate, the best way is to ask questions.

O.K. ...... Im putting on body armor
Later ..... Dennis

I suppose there is much truth in what you say. Like it or not and as much as you may avoid it, it's a club. Like the Cub Scouts sometimes and other times like the Sierra Club.

Ask questions? Great but someone has to answer. Or maybe not. In which case you'd feel like BucYou. Even your user name or avatar can form an opinion.
If you used Hit-ler as an avatar and your user name was Jesus, well you get the picture.

But really, opinion is what drives many threads and is a healthy way of comparing ideas, philosophy and notes. It just takes a certain amount of respect and patience. Something "Hit-ler" would get little of, but something "Jesus" would.

The last statement of yours Dennis is, and has always been. true. It goes back to the days of discovery when Baja was just for the more dedicated and seasoned adventurer.

My adventure is better than yours kinda thing. That's cool too, just more opinion.

As far as being a senior, ahem, I don't feel that way.... you mean like in senior "status"? Heck some of those ol' Amigos Boards guys and gals were hard to crack!:lol: And still are:lol::cool::dudette::fire::D:P:saint::smug::rolleyes::tumble::(:wow::?::barf:;D

The icons say it all!

DENNIS - 9-17-2006 at 03:20 PM

Thanks for a cool response, Sharky, I appreciate that.
Thanks also for not putting in the butt icon. I read a lot into the lack of symbolism.
I mentioned questions because they invite response. Give a little ----- take a little. That's what these places should be about.

Dennis

DENNIS - 9-17-2006 at 03:27 PM

By the way ..... Hitler got a lot more patience and respect than Jesus did in his day, sad to say.

Cypress - 9-17-2006 at 04:09 PM

Butt icon? Request for an enema?:o:O::wow:

DENNIS - 9-17-2006 at 04:31 PM

Your request is incomplete. Do you mean give or take?

DENNIS - 9-17-2006 at 05:23 PM

Soulpatch -----
It would take me a month to do everything you did in one day. Too cool.

Dennis

Cypress - 9-17-2006 at 05:35 PM

Request? :lol: Have no desire to give,receive, nor participate in any form or fashion.:lol:

DENNIS - 9-17-2006 at 06:07 PM

Well, that's good Cypress. Let constipation be your friend. In fact, it might be a friend you would like to bring to Mexico instead of taking up with its evil cousin, Montys revenge.

bajaden - 9-17-2006 at 07:08 PM

I suspect your right about the old boys club. I remember when I was a newbe. I think its a natural thing to step back and wait and see who the new person is before endearing yourself to him or her. My good friend Sharky was one of the first to pat me on the back and that was after I had held him up to ridicule. In a humorous way of course. I also must confess that I have not posted as much lately and most of my communication has been by U2U. I chose that method because what I had to say was for the most part personal.

I would like to volunter to take a load of things down, but my trailer was down there and is now without wheels. At least Bruce found it for me. If I can borrow a trailer, I'll take what I can.

Fatboy - 9-17-2006 at 07:32 PM

I have been on here for about two years and post very little and the original question as it was posed intrigues me a little. The original post lends itself to be taken with a hidden agenda in mind.

Of course that will, mostly likely, be denied, so you do not have to defend yourself against it since it was answered to some extent in one of the replies. The only question is was it answered truthfully.

To the questions...

Quote:

So I put to you the million dollar question: Why don't you care? Is it the author, or the subject?

I care, is the short answer. Longer answer is there is little I can do in a timely manner and disasters occour everywhere every day and yet, I notice, people always choose which disaster to make there own and then they expect everyone else to join them or else they are somehow not up to snuff. Bill Gates gives away MILLIONS to his causes but he would probably pass by someone stranded on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, in 120 degree weather.

Author or Subject? To me it doesn't matter. While there are certain people on this board (and every where else in the world!) that I dislike I like to believe that I am civilized enough to allow them their space, point of view and to respect them as humans because I known there are many people on this planet that feel the same way about me.

Quote:

Kudos to the "Real Nomads" who just even bothered to look.

and

Quote:

As far as the rest..........shame on you...........

So my question is...How do you know who looked? Because someone uses this board for other reasons then what you believe they should, does it really it means they are not 'Real Nomads'? Now that is just nuts.

Bajaden

Baja Bernie - 9-17-2006 at 08:06 PM

I just noticed your signature, "At feast of egos everyone leave's hungry..."

I have to believe that this is what is operating when one Nomad posses the question of what constitutes a post worth viewing (according to whom).

Fatboy you are right on in your statement--- "Because someone uses this board for other reasons then what you [bajasharkl] believe they should, does it really it means they are not 'Real Nomads'? Now that is just nuts."

Why not forget this silliness and get on with the world, helping folks, and our own lives.

And leave inflated ego's parked somewhere in Oregon.

bajaden - 9-17-2006 at 08:13 PM

Fatboy, I cannot say that I know what was in Sharks mind when he started this post. I do know Sharky though. I know he will post some things, to be controversal, to spark a response. I seriously doubt that he has a hidden agenda. He certainly doesn't need me to defend him. He's quite capaple of doing that himself. As far as who is a real Nomad, I'll leave that to someone else to define. For me, its someone who cares about baja and also cares for the people who care. Sounds like you might be one of those......

BucYouUp68 - 9-17-2006 at 08:25 PM

When i posted here i just wanted help getting supplies down south, I was in know way trying to get all of you to jump on my relief effort. trust me I could care less if you help or not, all I was asking for was a good source to get the donations to. I really don't have time to go through all the posts looking for information, so I posted a general question and thought for sure that I would get at least a few responses on where to send. I am a member of a lot of forums and know how it goes, not everybody posts. That I know is true, because I am a member of one of the largest fishing clubs in California, there are a lot of Lurkers out there.Not to be an A hole here, but once our Club has shipped the relief supplies south, I will disapear from this board.

toneart - 9-17-2006 at 09:49 PM

I think that this forum is a microcasm of groups anywhere in our American culture. The only difference is that, during a crisis, there are a greater majority of people in Bajanomad who are concerned, willing to help and put their money, services and ideas into action. It is a sad time, and yet this community is pulling together.

Regarding the microcasm, there will always be some who are helpful, some who active, some who are passive, some who are aggressive,all with their own lives and interests, some are cliquie-ish, some are A*****, some are negative and accusatory, some paranoid and some downright toxic.

The affinity here is reflected in the name of this board: Bajanomad. Because Baja is the main focus doesn't mean that we don't care about other parts of the world, other disasters or that we don't have other ideas or interests. Many of us, including myself, have just had a house destroyed. Some were in Mulege and experienced the monster John sending the horrendous flash flood that caused three deaths, some of whom we knew and some we didn't. .

I too have felt a chill here, being only slightly higher in the food chain than the newby, merely because I have contributed (barely) enough posts to escape that shunned status. Like any neighborhood, it takes awhile....I understand that. But I will not tolorate abuse, nor should anyone. Stand-offishness is practiced by the cautious...OK. Name calling and rudeness is unacceptable.

We are all free to post, lurk or ignore. This is an emotional time for us. It is a time when one must wonder what makes people tick, In my opinion, the topic in this string is a valid question, worthy of respect and differing, civil opinions.

[Edited on 9-20-2006 by toneart]

No, no name calling, you do it!

Sharksbaja - 9-17-2006 at 11:32 PM

You can all read between the lines, Bernie asserted (it's Sharksbaja, Barney):lol: it's just about ego.
He knows me so well. Not really, but see, that's his opinion.

In my opinion; I thought it odd to see some interesting posts regarding people helping people in Mulege passed up in favor of other "non-humanitarian" posts. It offended me. That's my problem. Hence the term rant.

As far as applying the context unto oneself. Feel free, if the shoe fits.

Fatboy,
Nuts....who's nuts?? I think people who post about daisies, engagements and dinner parties during (real, not cyber) life and death struggles fellow Nomads and thousands of others were faced with is ____ ____. (fill in the blanks)

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Cypress - 9-18-2006 at 08:48 AM

How's Bruce's daughter doing? :?: Agree about the misc. posts during a time of crisis being odd and out of place.

FARASHA - 9-18-2006 at 09:18 AM

Some U2U directly to him, OR as Bruce stated himself, on the LAST post he did - he'll report in asap.

bajalera - 9-18-2006 at 09:25 AM

Not asking about Bruce's daughter doesn't indicate a lack of concern. I'm saying a prayer or two, waiting to hear, and hoping for the best.

Cypress - 9-18-2006 at 09:30 AM

Jeez! Why the drama? :no:

David K - 9-18-2006 at 09:34 AM

Sorry about Bruce's daughter... How can I help?

Sometimes we are out of town and/or don't read every post on Nomad... That doesn't mean we lack compassion.

It is the Baja reports that people come here for.. and now with so many here on Nomad, that means more WILL see posts asking for help and MORE will be there to help!

If this was a forum only about tragedy and sadness, how long would it last?

David K

Baja Bernie - 9-18-2006 at 09:54 AM

"If this was a forum only about tragedy and sadness, how long would it last?"

Amen!

DENNIS - 9-18-2006 at 09:59 AM

Bruce was posting over on the "I need Nomad Help" thread which he opened.
I wonder how he's going to feel when he gets time to look around and comes to all this crap ......

Hose A

Baja Bernie - 9-18-2006 at 09:59 AM

I assumed it would be rather foolish to ask him anything when I figured that he had taken the very good advise he had been offered by many and that he would not be there to read my post.

A prayer was said and that was all I could do under the circumstances.

Yo'all suppose it is about time to lighten up a bit here!

Let's all take a collective deep breath and move forward in a positive many.

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by Baja Bernie]

FARASHA - 9-18-2006 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Jeez! Why the drama? :no:

NO Dramas PLEASE - we had enough of them lately, lets be a bit more relaxed now. :biggrin::
Especially after LANE left BAJA alone. :yes:

Cypress - 9-18-2006 at 10:11 AM

I whole-heartedly agree with Dennis. All this back an forth off-the-wall BS reminds me of exchanges with my teenage daughter. We both survived, thank goodness. Have checked some profiles, they're not in the teenage daughter category. Maybe some of the posters are over-stressed in the aftermath of the the storm? That's understandable.:no::O:?:

jerry - 9-18-2006 at 10:17 AM

sharks are you not in touch with bruce?? emails? phone?? if so
i think that you have a duty to the other nomads to report how bruce and his little girl is doing dont you??

i too was a little disturbed by the new posts that seemed untimly but took the live and let live approch

BAJAmerican - 9-18-2006 at 10:20 AM

VERY interesting thread-

As a newbie to this medium, based on the urgency of the moment, my joining & subsequent views and posts have been specific to GETTING hard info from the forum community to apply it to personal "survival". Then, distributing info from other sources that had not yet been posted that I felt were "worthy" of viewing.

As the situation evolved, it was intersting to see multiple dynamics in play. "seniors" using it as a form of communication among parties known to each other personally or cybernetically, as if a "telephone party line" - mainly due to the absence of alternative info sources. Nomad was IT, as someone said, for a few days.

It was like eyewitness news, but no intermediating reporters on scene (can be good or bad - no interpretation, but also no filtering).

It also served as the connector between donors and institutions. Except that there are/were no institutions known to most viewers that we have EXPECTATIONS of to be here (REd Cross, EMS, FEMA, etc.) Remember those monthly radio /TV ads years ago? THIS IS A TEST OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM. IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, YOU WOULD BE TOLD WHAT STATION TO LISTEN TO. I kept expecting something like that & kept looking.

However, the perception in the Mexican community was markedly different than the posts here, in that the Army response, TelMex Foundation response, BCS emergency coordination, etc. was actually quite good.

Somewhere, someone posted that they compared it favorably to Katrina.

The duality of the medium I think was perceived differently, depending on why YOU were online. To chat & commiserate. To act as conduit of info & aid, in the perceived absence of anything being done. Or being shown in the mainstream media.

I sent early video to many TV stations throughout CA to try and trigger additional awareness & relief response from mainstream sources. To my knowledge the only media story was that Cabo vactioners were spared inconvenience (but that is because that is where their reporters were sent). Cause & effect & perception (& then reaction) of each this week were often difficult to interpret.

The subsequent question that arises is: Should Nomad be a primary means of disseminating info in such a crisis? CAN it be? (Is it capable to do so?) Should there perhaps be a designated format within it (or Baja Quest or others. Can the Mexican / American perception of events be coordinated better?

What are participants' expectations of this medium now, vs before?

We have technology. How do we use it to feel safer, more connected, more communicative? In normal times and during the next crisis.

FARASHA - 9-18-2006 at 10:21 AM

CYPRESS: THATS what I wanted to express in my above post too.:yes: The Adrenaline flush wears off slowly.:yes:

Um, Sharks?

DanO - 9-18-2006 at 10:43 AM

Take it easy there, man. Speaking for myself (I try to stick with that as much as possible, so I know what I'm talking about), it is possible to care about the important stuff -- and show it -- and still engage in discussions about matters that may seem comparatively mundane.

Chastising over a post's subject or timing

Hook - 9-18-2006 at 10:45 AM

Personally, I think it's a poor use of the board to chastise people about the posts they choose to respond to (or NOT respond to). Is the board supposed to come to a halt because someone is in the middle of a personal crisis?

Bruce's situation is a good example. I was chastised for continuing to discuss the the isssue of rebuilding along the rio (it was decided that my post was "BS" for even posting it). At the time, I had no idea about Bruce's situation; it was on another board. Upon searching around, I found that the person who deemed my post "BS" was inserting himself into several discussions, begging for them to cease and desist, and assist Bruce.

HELLO!......last time I checked this was a DISCUSSION BOARD!

Revelation #2......most of us are in the States and don't have the means to assist. Does this mean we need to stop posting until such time as another member deems it acceptable to do so?

Hey, I'm not thin-skinned. The chastisement just rolled off me. The far greater shame was the potential for limiting future discussion on the boards. That seems completely counterproductive to the reason for a discussion board.

As to what interests me in posts.......I go for my own interests. I dont use the "Today's Post' feature; too much to wade through that doesn't interest me. I go to my area of interest and choose the subject of interest.

There are many boards here I have never been on.......

Cypress - 9-18-2006 at 11:01 AM

Farasha is right! We need to take a few deep breaths and get out of this being offended/attack mode. Post what you want, shouldn't be a problem. Ignore what you're not interested in. :yes:

He's a busy guy Jerr

Sharksbaja - 9-18-2006 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
sharks are you not in touch with bruce?? emails? phone?? if so
i think that you have a duty to the other nomads to report how bruce and his little girl is doing dont you??

i too was a little disturbed by the new posts that seemed untimly but took the live and let live approch

Jerry, I think Bruce had to wade thru a mass of posts, notes and inquiries from people concerned. Kinda overwelming I would think. I did my part to help Bruce get going but there was no reason to post that here.

We speak to each other when necessary. We talk about important stuff. I spoke with him shortly before he took off and offered to assist him any way I could.
As far as posting when, where or what he's doing. I'll let him do that, it's his (not-so)personal ordeal. He knows damn well if he needs help he's got it. I was happy to see so many were concerned and willing to help him. It was a true testament to all who cares.
If Bruce wants me to provide this forum with his present situation I will do so. Right now I know as much as the rest here. We'll say a collective prayer(regardless of your religion) for the health of his daughter. Yes, I am concerned but Bruce is a real smart guy. Jest caint spel!;D

Gotta go make sauce now...

Cypress - 9-18-2006 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Sharks. Keep us posted.

Why this sudden need......

Hook - 9-18-2006 at 02:50 PM

....to deem posts more "worthy" than others?

What is "worthy" to one, may have little value to another. So what?

I'd rather sort through tons of posts than be missing info because someone internally questioned its worthiness in advance. I'd rather be subjective about a post AFTER it has been posted.

Post away, everyone..........read the ones you want, ignore the ones you have no interest in.

DENNIS - 9-18-2006 at 03:09 PM

I agree with Hook. "Worthy", the word alone, has such a heavy moral connotation. I used to hear the word in Catholic school all the time.

Now, if you want to get peoples attention with a post, label it worthless and every person here will read it.

bajaden - 9-18-2006 at 04:01 PM

I have been e-mailing and talking on the phone with Bruce right up until he left. No one is more concerned about his daughter than I'am, and Bruce knows to give either Corky or myself a heads up when he can. I know the person he was susposed to meet in Ensanada this morning, said he had not yet heard from Bruce, and was worried. Natalie can probably give you more info than I can. She'll probably kill me for mentioning her name here.

As far as how effective this board is or was concerning the disastor, it turns out that for whatever reason it was the only means of communiation that was available. I think it and everyone concerned did a wonderful job. I think we should as a group be grateful for the people who reached out and helped in any way they could, and not worry about people who either didn't know or didn't care about what was going on.

As for as seniors using it as their own personal means of communication. Your probably right. The truth is we all, who have been here awhile, know each other personally or thru this board. I have shed tears over people who I never personally met that died. People I cared about only because of this board. I won't apologize for that. It doesn't mean that new people aren't welcome. Quite the contrary. The purpose is to get people who love baja and its people involved. There are some wonderful people out there, and trust me, when you need them, they'll be there for you too.

comitan - 9-18-2006 at 05:21 PM

And sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut and stay out of the way.

bajaden - 9-18-2006 at 09:44 PM

Larry, I think its just a bad night. I'm going to go have a cervesa and try again tommorow. Sweet dreams to ya all.

Sharksbaja - 9-18-2006 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
....to deem posts more "worthy" than others?

What is "worthy" to one, may have little value to another. So what?

I'd rather sort through tons of posts than be missing info because someone internally questioned its worthiness in advance. I'd rather be subjective about a post AFTER it has been posted.

Post away, everyone..........read the ones you want, ignore the ones you have no interest in.

"Worthy" being subjective in meaning, works in this context:

"What do you find a worthy post to view?"

We obviously have entirely different priorities, or maybe not:light:

Remember, I said "view" that simply means "palm trees" are more "worthy" of a "view" to you than, say.......

"Where can I donate"

If someone takes that personal it's probably because it is.

FARASHA - 9-18-2006 at 11:58 PM

VIEWS

28281 views for: mulege - just got this
7958 views for :The List
7729 views for :Storm Lane
3258 views for : I need NOMAD Help
2032 views for : testing out new.Girlsfriend in.....BAJA

Tells me that the vast majority does care and the priorities of all Nomads are clear. :bounce:
This are all post's ABOUT BAJA/ PEOPLE/ CARE (yes also the LIST and the new Girlfriend issue.....it's like in a Family,all matters and certainly a new LOVE.)
And I thank you Sharksbaja for getting the attention to that fact!!!
Otherwise I wouldn't have taken the time, to look this up.
BTW your post comes right on 5th Place!!! well done!:biggrin:

Oh the irony!

Sharksbaja - 9-19-2006 at 12:14 AM

It is ironic a thread like this could receive as much.

I guess that answers my big question, thanks.

kingpin - 9-19-2006 at 03:11 PM

I don't know what a post is worth, but I can tell you I laughed my arse off when I read this one.

"kingpin

you have gone way to far on your posts and it is time some one made an example of people like you . you think you can hide behind the Internet and slander anyone you want and they cant touch you. well those days are over for you. do your self a big favor and get a lawyer and check into the slander laws in Mexico. they are quit deferent than in the USA. I know several people that have been fined and deported for less than you have posted here. I have copied all of your posts and have more than enough witnesses and now I know exactly where you live and who you are thanks to some that you thought were your friends. I and my Lawyer will be presenting all of this to the judge and the Dept. of Immigration in Ensenada in about a week.

good Luck
Bruce" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That has to be the funniest thing I have ever read. If anyone asked me about my business in Mexico, and that was my answer, I guess I would have to say I had something to hide.

Bruce, good luck to you too. I am sure you are a decent enough fellow, not to mention your taking avarice to a whole new level. We never did figure out why Toneart thought your prices were, "expensive". 10.50 per dollar sounds reasonable to me, or is there something I am missing?

Cypress - 9-19-2006 at 03:34 PM

kingpin?? Lawyers? Mercy!

kingpin - 9-19-2006 at 03:46 PM

Cypress, seems like you need to reread my worthy post, or is it unworthy. Shark, you seem to have all the answers.

This whole thread seems to be some sort of initiation process where the newbies are hazed with words so they know who they need to cowtow to. Way to go, you just ran off half of all the new posters. Who elected any of you moderator anyway. Oh, you know who you are.:lol:

[Edited on 9-19-2006 by kingpin]

Cypress - 9-19-2006 at 04:18 PM

Jeez kingpin! I don't recall your post, but whatever it was you're intitled to your own opinion. I'll respect it! Might not agree. Might agree. Keep on trucking and you're welcome to throw in your thoughts anytime. The more the merrier!

bajaguy - 9-19-2006 at 04:21 PM

there goes the neighborhood.......methinks

kingpin - 9-19-2006 at 04:31 PM

Bajaguy, You have to be refering to the fact that Bruce will soon be your viseno!:lol::lol:

Cypress, try to keep up.

[Edited on 9-19-2006 by kingpin]

comitan - 9-19-2006 at 05:27 PM

Kingpin

I just want to remind you that slander in Mexico is a criminal offense, I wouldn't be so c-cky if I were you. And the reason I know i've been there and it costs.

Skipjack Joe - 9-19-2006 at 05:29 PM

Hemingway once wrote about morality: "What is moral is what feels good after".

Similarly about posting: what is worthy of posting is what you enjoy telling. That's all.

kingpin - 9-19-2006 at 05:51 PM

Comitan, asking questions is not slander. Reread the posts. Methinks Bruce doth protestith too much. Again. 10.50 per dollar is not expensive, what the heck was toneart refering to? I know the truth, do you?

comitan - 9-19-2006 at 06:35 PM

Kingpin

Its your problem, but just be aware of the danger in what you say.

kingpin - 9-19-2006 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Kingpin

I am not sure I follow you. What is my problem, idle threats, or usurious charges.:?:

It cracks me up how people like you, when confronted with facts, resort to cryptic messages.

I just reread

Sharksbaja - 9-19-2006 at 06:48 PM

the post flaming Bruce and his reply. I also read it with an open mind(if thats' possible:lol:)

Pin, you may have read something into Tonys' post in the wrong context. Bruce makes money by charging a certain percentage for various transactions. I've never known him to change rates unless they are changing bank rates or such.

Yes his percent may seem high but remember what Tony said about going somwhere else. Bruce is a straight-up businessman from what I've evre seen and always has been. You may want to reconsider your source(s)

IMHO you owe Bruce a sincere apology.:yes:

Al G - 9-19-2006 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kingpin
Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Kingpin

I am not sure I follow you. What is my problem, idle threats, or usurious charges.:?:

It cracks me up how people like you, when confronted with facts, resort to cryptic messages.

KINGPIN, yes I am shouting! Nice name. Must have something to do with your personal view about your status in life. 48 post and already peeed of many Nomads. You want fact, this is a fact. We love new people, but,
GO AWAY!

windgrrl - 9-19-2006 at 07:08 PM

Joined up to get info on the outcome of the storm, get advice on travelling and planning and learn something from those who have been there done that. Baja folks I know are not official Baja Nomads, but I would refer those who with internet capacity to this site. I'm happy to see they a fine and have communicated with them by other means than this site. It's a good site and it reflects the different needs and thoughts people have - how ever worthy/unworthy, well it's all relative because we all value our interest differently. As a newbie located in the far north, it's hard to know how/who/when to help. We all give what we can when we are able.

This is a very welcoming community, but you can always tell when the days are gettng shorter, peoples nerves do to and then discussions degrade into slagging each other.

How about "What is the best thing about being a art of BajaNomad" or "10 top qualities of a BajaNomad" for a change of topic?

Take care, you're a great bunch,
Ms. Optimistic

Windgrrl

Baja Bernie - 9-19-2006 at 07:22 PM

Welcome you bring an optimistic and positive attitude. Hope you hang around.

windgrrl - 9-19-2006 at 08:03 PM

Thanks...plan to, Bernie! I don't get scared that easy and I am working towards seeing my avatar!
Nice to meet you.

Soulpatch

Baja Bernie - 9-19-2006 at 08:42 PM

How could you possibly buy palm trees in the huge City I was born in--at least that is what my birth certificate says. Long, about 40 years, before the area even had a hospital.
Remember the scene in the 'Grapes of Wrath" where they stuck grandpa on the roof, between the mattress, because they didn't have the dollar to bury him---Well they just kept on keepin' on as he lay there. They were some of my Okie family and we hung in there.

Guess it is really ok for us to keep on keepin' on and let this sad thread fall asleep.

Sorta silly to keep kicking it around as the point was made a ways back.

dead dogs lie

Sharksbaja - 9-19-2006 at 11:22 PM

"Guess it is really ok for us to keep on keepin' on and let this sad thread fall asleep.

Sorta silly to keep kicking it around as the point was made a ways back. "

OK then! :lol: