BajaNomad

How many divers on this board

anmdivers - 10-8-2006 at 10:30 AM

I have done some diving in Calif, Canada, but most of my dives have been in Cozumel & Roatan
Here is a pic I took here on Roatan
[img]http://[/img]

[Edited on 10-8-2006 by anmdivers]

FARASHA - 10-8-2006 at 10:39 AM

I am diving for a number of years now, BCS/COS, almost whole Red Sea, Atlantik/UK, Atlantik/Cap Verdian Islands, IndianOcean/Maledives,Mauritius,Seychelles,Thailand, Mediterrenian Sea/Croatia and Freshwater Lakes in Austria.......JUST LOVE it to blow bubbles and watch nature at best,and teaching others to do the same.

Diver - 10-8-2006 at 10:44 AM

Diving too many years to count.
Underwater is one of my favorite places !

anmdivers - 10-8-2006 at 10:47 AM

Sorry about the pic, but all mine are to big

Diver - 10-8-2006 at 10:59 AM

I took swimming lessons at age 4 in south Florida from a YMCA instructor.
By the time I was 5, he had me swimming the bottom of the pool with a regulator and pony bottle. I never ran out and I never came up (except when mom said to :lol:)

Needless to say, I was hooked in 1960 !
YMCA JR Scuba Diver in 1972
Padi Divemaster/Asst. Instr. in 1981
5 years scattered shallow commercial diving
1 year commercial sat.

anmdivers - 10-8-2006 at 11:09 AM

I hope we are as lucky as you, to dive so long. We loved diving so we left our jobs in Chico, Ca. 3 years ago to do what we love. My husband is now a Padi Instr. & I do underwater photos. It is something we will never give up.

FARASHA - 10-8-2006 at 11:37 AM

Just the other way around with me and my Buddy, then last year he had a heartstroke, now we don't know if he'll be diving ever again. Miss his Pic's and Videos,and miss the company.

anmdivers - 10-8-2006 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
Just the other way around with me and my Buddy, then last year he had a heartstroke, now we don't know if he'll be diving ever again. Miss his Pic's and Videos,and miss the company.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Alex does not like diving with me because I am alwasy off doing my photos, but I do not know what I would do with out him as my buddy

FARASHA - 10-8-2006 at 11:55 AM

OH YEAH, know that, Photographers get lost sometimes when focused on something. And the waiting for them to finish can suck sometimes, BUT I knew at the end we will have BEAUTIFUL pic's. So it was worth it to be patient.
I was always the boyscout, looking for TARGETS, while he was filming or taking pictures. I developed an good eye for little critters and unusual stuff, so it was Teamwork.
Also in difficult conditions - entry/exit in rough conditions, strong currents,its good to have a reliable Buddy, with all the stuff to carry.

Diver - 10-8-2006 at 11:59 AM

I met my dive buddy in '81; 10 years before my wife.
We are of the same species when we dive together, calm and at home.
Although I've been down with many other divers, it's never the same.

anmdivers - 10-8-2006 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I met my dive buddy in '81; 10 years before my wife.
We are of the same species when we dive together, calm and at home.
Although I've been down with many other divers, it's never the same.

I know what you mean, If I dont dive with Alex it is hadr to trust someone new with your life

FARASHA - 10-8-2006 at 12:11 PM

anmdivers,Diver - absolutely agree, nothing worse then to be with the wrong person on a dive.
I rather skip a dive or abort it, when I'm not feeling tuned-in with another diver. There are just 3 divers in my Life I trust fully and feel safe.
When teaching or guiding I am on my own, that is then a different ballgame. And that I am aware of through the whole dive.

Cypress - 10-8-2006 at 02:13 PM

Can feel the pressure changes going on in my head right now. ;) Never really wanted a dive buddy. :no: Sort of a personal experience.;)

comitan - 10-8-2006 at 04:56 PM

Well I guess I* don't fit in this group, am a free diver, been for 23 years my wife wouldn't trust me with tanks, probably break all the rules and end up not being here. My wife takes pictures, I'm the hunter if I don't have my speargun forget it.

anmdivers - 10-8-2006 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Well I guess I* don't fit in this group, am a free diver, been for 23 years my wife wouldn't trust me with tanks, probably break all the rules and end up not being here. My wife takes pictures, I'm the hunter if I don't have my speargun forget it.

Become a diver , it is the BEST thing you can ever do, siting there watching the life under water is some thing you will never see up top. PEACE :rolleyes:

Diver - 10-8-2006 at 06:15 PM

I was working for Sleepy J bolting together platform strutts in the Gulf of Mexico. Oil prices went down and the rig building/maintenance crews were cut in half. I moved on to more shallow water commercial rather than take another sat job off the Ivory Coast.
Very nice money for a year but sat diving for a living can really cut into your social life !

Diver - 10-8-2006 at 07:17 PM

I do have fond memories but it's not so glamorous when you do 5-10 day dives and another day or two in the tube and come out feeling like you have a cold almost every time.

I remember the jokes were raw, the TP was moist, jock itch was everywhere and after a few days, some guys whine like......little girls.

comitan - 10-8-2006 at 07:34 PM

anmdivers

I have seen enough underwater fish to last my lifetime, and to me the excitement (fun) has always been shooting the fish, I would post the 60# Dog snapper but I can't find the picture, anyway that would be bragging.:yes::yes:

Diver - 10-8-2006 at 07:58 PM

C'mon Comi,

Try dropping down to 70 or 80 feet on top of a 200 lb Jewfish sometime.
Maybe explore a wreck at 100 feet that has been there long enough to have some large, tasty inhabitants.
Or spend some time at shallow depths wrestling spiney lobster from there hiding places.

I used to love free-diving to 40 or 50 feet but it's a whole lot more relaxing and less work with a tank or hookah. Try it sometime.

comitan - 10-8-2006 at 08:20 PM

Diver

A very close friend of mine, a very good tank diver made one mistake had to go down and get one more fish, ended up flying him to San Diego spent something like 22 hrs in decompression, lived but he still walks funny(no feeling) And as I said I'm the type of person that would do just that. Yes he was certified, had all the best equipment. I like the challenge of looking down and seeing dark shadows 40-50ft and go down to them, just the way I are! Yes spent many a night fighting the bugs. I used to have a Hookah never did like it. Free dive!!!!!

bajarich - 10-8-2006 at 08:58 PM

I got certified in 2001, but only did a few dives. It turns out that I get seasick so I need to use a Transderm Patch, which ends up giving me a horrible sore throat, so much so that I just decided it wasn't worth it. I loved the experience though. I still have my BC, regulator & computer. Maybe I'll give it another try, without the patch and see how it works out.

My brother was a salvage diver in the Navy, hardhat and scuba.

FARASHA - 10-9-2006 at 12:40 AM

Join the club of the SEASICK, I use either GINGER chewinggum, or BONINE chewing tablets ( has strawberry taste,I buy it in US everytime I'm there, to have some in stock), both works fine for me when I need to dive and sea is rough. Take it at least 1 to 2 hours ( or even earlier) BEFORE going on the boat or with breakfast before going to dive that day.
Got even seasick couple of times bouncing on surface in heavy sea - fish enjoy what you spit out :biggrin:
Avoid fatty oily meals and coffee previous to a dive, sit in the middle of the boat where is lesser movement, not too much of (sugared) liquids, stay away from exhaustvalve fumes on the boat, look to the horizont - focus on a stable point. After couple days its getting better and you won't even need medication anymore. AND once you are underwater its getting better!!!! Don't give up!!!!! The body will adjust after a while - really!!

[Edited on 9-10-2006 by FARASHA]

FARASHA - 10-9-2006 at 12:56 AM

I do understand those who HAD to dive, as sat and commercial divers, it can suck, I'v done some Search/Recovery jobs and decided after that - it's no fun if you HAVE TO. The desat times and all the hassle, the itching, the tiredness, you are then just ON A JOB.
Thats why I find it much more enjoyable to go with recreational divers, or teaching newbies, enjoy the fishlife and the pressure around me when doing a FUN dive with a Buddy into the DEEP.
And FREEDIVING is still diving, and I do it too if I feel for feeling FREE of carrying all the weight.

Newbe

msawin - 10-9-2006 at 06:34 PM

Hey guys,
I am a newbe. Have taken lessons this last month with my son and we are headed down this week to do our deep water dive with one of my neighbors in Tripui. Have a lot of folks down in Tripui that put the tanks on. Have wanted to do for some time and now we are..

Comitan.. spear guns. What is leagal? Fishing license and no park areas?

marty

comitan - 10-9-2006 at 06:58 PM

Spearguns with rubbers, max 2, no air charged gun. It will be a great time for diving, you'll be hooked.

[Edited on 10-10-2006 by comitan]

Bajamatic - 10-9-2006 at 06:59 PM

last dive was at Socorro Island and it FREAKED ME OUT!

RonnieRockCod - 10-9-2006 at 08:30 PM

I love these peeing contests!

Someone posts " I first went to Baja in ' 95". Then a reply " I first went in '93". Next is "When I first went there were only dirt roards below El Rosario." Then, it gets worse. "I was a Guide for Padre Junipero Serra." Does that top it? No, the next post is " I was a Mule Skinner for Hernando Cortes."

This Diver thread is no different. "I was certified in 1970." Oh yeah, the next post is " I was certified in 1969." and on it goes. "I freedove to fifty three feet and speared a thirty seven pound white sea bass." You know what's gonna come next? "When I was freediving at Cedros island I nailed a forth pound yellowtail at sixty feet."

For crying out loud. Grow up! Who really cares how many shots of Tequila you can drink? Or how much more you've travelled, how old you are, or any other braggin' you care to foister on us. Write about Baja and your experiences. When, or if, our trails ever cross, then in just a few minutes we'll figure you out for who you really are. I think we're mature and perceptive enough to do that. "Nuff said, Good luck to all, RRC

Al G - 10-9-2006 at 08:59 PM

RRC...Wow, Possibly the most socially inept individual that has ever posted here. Reminds me of Bloody decks. Murdered any fish lately?:moon::moon::moon:

reefrocket - 10-9-2006 at 11:51 PM

GOT to be more of us "get wet" addicts than 9 where's Ken Bondy? isn't "El Loco Gato" (EGL) a diver? Should have been a poll, maybe more post.

Note to 'comitan' your a "Diver" in my book

RRC you didn't say

al G - how about you or does the name say it all

personally I'm addicted to 2 or more atmosphers:yes:

[Edited on 10-10-2006 by reefrocket]

FARASHA - 10-10-2006 at 01:57 AM

Those who are Divers by heart don't mean bragging, they just enjoy what they are doing and share it.
Telling in their specific way others how much they enjyoed this or that.
Some don't want to share and keep by it themselfs, or share in different ways ie.posting photos.
SO - people are different. Great - otherwise it would be boring.
RESPECTING different ways of behaviour or differening opinions is a social skill that not everyone had the chance to learn.
I don't mean to patronise anyone, just want to get room for ALL kind of people.
And its better NOT to grow up fully - enjoying the child in us can be VERY comforting in times. And keeps Life also FUN and more enjoyable, and creative. ISN'T IT???:yes::bounce:

Reefrocket - I know exactly what you're talking about, it's a great feeling to feel this pressure and then to turn on your back and look all the way UP to surface.Makes me feel very humble and it's awesome. A different universe.

[Edited on 10-10-2006 by FARASHA]

Cincodemayo - 10-10-2006 at 09:52 AM

Ronnie....Take a deep breath and relax.

Bajamatic - 10-10-2006 at 09:55 AM

i took a nice opal-eye last week. must have been close to a 3 pounder. Made some ceviche. MMMMMM.

MICK - 10-10-2006 at 11:01 AM

I started diving in 1970 took some years off but two years ago My wife and I were in Tahiti and she did a exploritory dive and was hooked. We have now dove in Hawaii, and Belize. We plan on going to Aruba and Costa rica. in Dec . We are also going to Utila in March to hopfully see some whale sharks.The more we go the more hooked she becomes. Looking forward to diving baja soon. MICK

anmdivers - 10-10-2006 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MICK
I started diving in 1970 took some years off but two years ago My wife and I were in Tahiti and she did a exploritory dive and was hooked. We have now dove in Hawaii, and Belize. We plan on going to Aruba and Costa rica. in Dec . We are also going to Utila in March to hopfully see some whale sharks.The more we go the more hooked she becomes. Looking forward to diving baja soon. MICK

Mick
If you go to Utila you should also come to Roatan for some dives. The 2 Islands are not the same. If we are still here look us up & we will take you diving. you can fine my info at
www.cabanassoldelcaribe.com

Cypress - 10-10-2006 at 01:21 PM

If you've "Got" to do most anything day in and day out it turns into "Work".:no:

FARASHA - 10-10-2006 at 02:11 PM

Sadly true CYPRESS, better not to turn your favorit hobby into a JOB. At least not for tooo long.That spoils it.

Al G - 10-10-2006 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reef rocket

al G - how about you or does the name say it all

Only a wannabe diver...Went through full dive school and tried to certify in Monterey CA. That day in December it snowed, had 10' rollers. Jumped into a bad area of kelp Forrest, just as I got out of that, I was hit on left shoulder by the boat. I went to the front and anchor line, forgot about not grabbing it.:o ...Almost got my arm jerked off. The instructor, with his dark blue lips, ask me what I thought. I started to laugh. I hate making excuses, but only 3 out of 20? on board made the dive, all had been diving before. My two friends, that started with me would not get on the boat. They were smarter then me. It cost me the dive fee. I intend to certify in Baja, but has been a couple years so I guess I start from scratch.

msawin - 10-10-2006 at 08:29 PM

Al G.
Do it. Come on down. My excuse for waiting, was my son losing his hand in a car accident.. He is doing it next to me. My buddy. Remeber, Blow bubbles. Never hold your breath......

martin-o

I am a diver

pangamadness - 10-10-2006 at 10:24 PM

I go both ways SCUBA or free diving

Got one of these pets free diving can you guess which one?

As always trying again

pangamadness - 10-10-2006 at 10:27 PM

I go both ways SCUBA & freediving can you guess which one of these pets I got freediving?

cortez lobstr forpost.JPG - 20kB

Diving Family.....

rivergirl - 10-10-2006 at 11:04 PM

I am new to diving got certified this summer but my husband & son 11 years old have been diving for over a year. We will be doing some diving this dec. Our plans will be to do some diving around the islands in bahia Concepcion. Anyone done any diving around there???? (note we have to stay above 40 feet ...as our son can not go deeper...) We both got certified for our son as his love for the water probably comes from his yearly trip to Baja and hours spent in the water snorkeling & discovering the life in the sea. We are excited as this will be a new way for us to discover the beauty of Baja.

certified 1977 in Hawaii

cristobal - 10-11-2006 at 01:46 PM

I have lived in ORANGE COUNTY, CA. most of my life ...

Hard to get excited about buying a wet suit and dragging my tanks across the beach and having 20 feet visability in 65 degree water. :wow::smug::wow:

In Hawaii the water was 75 degrees ... 150 feet visability ... and NO wetsuit ... and I lived on a 58 foot Catamaran ... I just stepped off the side. In a year I made 300 dives.
:o:o:o

I made a dive off the tip of CABO which was fun. When I went around GUARDIAN ANGEL ISLAND in my zodiac ... I dove two tanks at PUERTO REFUGIO on the northern tip and two tanks just south of ISLA ESTANQUE on the southeast corner. It was in November ... the water was 75 degrees ... I didn't need a wetsuit. They were fun dives ... lots of scallops ... :yes::yes::yes:

To this day ... I have never made a dive off SOUTHERN CALIF.
:no::no::no:

:wow::spingrin::o:lol::cool::P:P

Al G - 10-11-2006 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cristobal
I have lived in ORANGE COUNTY, CA. most of my life ...

Hard to get excited about buying a wet suit and dragging my tanks across the beach and having 20 feet visability in 65 degree water. :wow::smug::wow:

In Hawaii the water was 75 degrees ... 150 feet visability ... and NO wetsuit ... and I lived on a 58 foot Catamaran ... I just stepped off the side. In a year I made 300 dives.
:o:o:o

I made a dive off the tip of CABO which was fun. When I went around GUARDIAN ANGEL ISLAND in my zodiac ... I dove two tanks at PUERTO REFUGIO on the northern tip and two tanks just south of ISLA ESTANQUE on the southeast corner. It was in November ... the water was 75 degrees ... I didn't need a wetsuit. They were fun dives ... lots of scallops ... :yes::yes::yes:

To this day ... I have never made a dive off SOUTHERN CALIF.
:no::no::no:

:wow::spingrin::o:lol::cool::P:P

Now this is what I call Bragging:lol:
Good for you Cristobal!;D

cat127 - 10-11-2006 at 03:14 PM

Certified 25 years ago in So cal. Dove mainly off the Truth and Conception outta Santa Barbara, and then Cabo a few times. (Cant believe the Conception was stolen and ran aground at Vandenburg last spring?? Just how does someone steal a 70+ ft boat !!!!)

Hated wetsuits. Moved to Hawaii, free dive out my back yard in Puako for a long time, now on the East side of the Island, ocean a few steps away. Looking forward to diving (free and otherwise) in Baja again. Warm water!!

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by cat127]

FARASHA - 10-11-2006 at 11:54 PM

There is something in coldwater diving, I can't say what...but it kept me doing it again and again- and called myself an addict or an idiot - why else I did it ( call me a whimp I used a drysuit of course) Just wanted to go and blow bubbles - no matter what VIZ. Or if it was freezing outside.
But lately I'm getting too lazy to carry the extra weight when in the drysuit, and developed an disgust in shivering from cold - guess getting Old.
HEY AlG looking forward to some bragging from you!
You carry the name of the Al G from the Clive Cussler novels- you know that?? Read some of them?

Another diver here.

MetriRN - 10-12-2006 at 10:58 AM

♥ to dive. Love liveaboards, will be going to La Paz 10/29 to hopefully swim with some whalesharks (land based), or whatever happens to be there. Anyone who will be in the area at that time feel free to contact me. Dive experience includes Galapagos (lotsa whale sharks there!), Hawaii, Belize, Bonaire, Malaysia, Micronesia, California, Fiji. Up for almost anything u/w.

Photo below: telegraph in pilot house of sunken Hoku Maru in Truk Lagoon, Micronesia

FARASHA - 10-12-2006 at 12:29 PM

:?: Think something went wrong with the Photo above??:rolleyes:
maybe you try again??

Diver here too....

catwoman888 - 10-17-2006 at 02:30 PM

... French living in the UK, so my diving so far has been tied to exotic holidays.... Zanzibar, all over the Red Sea, Hawaii, Mexico Cozumel and Cenote diving (which I adored!).... Next year I will do a dry suit specialty and start diving in the UK. Some friends are bragging of the wonderful diving in the Farnes, Shetlands etc... Want to see it for myself.

Just missing that special buddy! whether life partner or not. Started diving with my ex and since we split up I am left to diving with the other buddyless people on liveaboards... and not always very cool!!!

Anyway... I shall be in Baja in 12 days and doing my first Baja dives if my cold clears up!

:bounce::bounce::yes::spingrin::spingrin::bounce:

Diver - 10-17-2006 at 03:10 PM

I love agood bottom dive with a cold.
When you come back up it really clears the sinuses !! zGROSS :o:wow::lol:

(Of course a second dive is out)

Another Nomad Diver

Loretana - 10-17-2006 at 08:45 PM

I received my certification (PADI) in the Solomon Islands in June 1993. My check out dive was on the Bonegi Wrecks in Guadalcanal. (The Kinugawa and Hirokawa Maru)

I still have a trophy of that first dive in my "round the world" display case......... it's what was left of an 80mm mortar shell that Admiral Fletcher's fleet lobbed in on the fleeing Japanese Supply ships in November 1942.

My dive master Nick Lawson handed the exploded artillery shell to me during the dive and I passed it on to my husband to examine. Unbeknown to me, my darling husband handily stuffed it into his B.C. pouch. :saint:

The dive was unforgettable.

I then had the pleasure of spending the next 10 days diving from the liveaboard "Bilikiki". We dove for a week in Marovo Lagoon, quite near where Jack Kennedy lost the PT-109.

That was the dive trip of a lifetime, the one I judge all others by. :dudette:

The undersea life was......exquisite!!

My goal is to dive the Solomon Islands again and return the shell casing to it's underwater grave.

The National Geographic special "Lost Ships of Guadacanal" by Dr. Robert Ballard is a must see for wreck divers.

Diver - 10-17-2006 at 08:46 PM

Probably not a good idea.
Small amounts of gas saturation from a few deep free dives could affect your no-decomp limits a bit. Bottom time is bottom time.

Although I still do 60 minutes at 60 feet (old tables) from the old tables and never had a problem.

DO NOT fly before you are fully de-gassed. I did an afternoon return flight from Grand Cayman after a morning dive to 100 feet and boy did I get the stiff neck ! 6 hours in a tube on O2 is more fun than I planned.

FARASHA - 10-18-2006 at 04:34 AM

Had once a bad experience while diving with a cold - suffered from a reverse block and couldn't ascend therefore, took me 15 minutes to ascend from the last 7m/ ?20ft?.
my sinuses where bunged up and I couldn't get rid of the trapped air inside.Had to descend again untill the pressure and pain ceased (at ard 7m).And then it was a INCH by INCH ascend. OH MAN, that cured me from diving with a cold.

Tissue saturation does also happen in freediving,not as much, but still. The Diving Medics are discussing it still.
A good resource for info on that might be DAN (divers alert network) website,at least you can ask them - they will tell you the latest insights.

Spyderman - 10-18-2006 at 03:39 PM

Let's see, the question was "How many divers on this board?" Add me to the list.

FARASHA - 10-24-2006 at 06:55 AM

Just had it again - a cold! Couldn't equalize my ears - so was stuck on deck, while the others went down to the THISTLEGORM Wreck. (Luckily I have been there before!)
Would really appreiciate to hear some tricks from fellow divers, to overcome this problem. Sinus clearing with seawater didn't do the trick,as many other stuff I have put up my nose!!
Except for taking any drugs -which make me feel awful in addition, I would like to collect some NEW tricks.

cat127 - 10-24-2006 at 05:03 PM

Try Tumeric mixed with a little salt water (snort it up) about 2-3 hours before diving - see if that helps. Tumeric makes the sinus drain for about an hour because it is anti-bacterial.

-Cat

FARASHA - 10-25-2006 at 12:03 AM

:?: TUMERIC? that I use for cooking my Indian style food??