BajaNomad

How did you meet up with B.C.?

bajalera - 10-11-2006 at 12:17 PM

There must be about as many different ways to get hooked on Baja California as there are Nomads.

My way was to marry an archaeologist who worked there. Before that, the only B.C. I knew was British Columbia--and I thought "Baja" rhymed with "rajah."

How did other Nomads do it?

Bajamatic - 10-11-2006 at 12:21 PM

when I got my drivers license baja represented a remote, desolate, surf adventure (ironically I wound up driving my van to point joe to surf, along with most of san diego). Nonetheless, older, wiser, and bolder, I'm drawn for the same reasons.

(Too bad theres no good surf breaks except for baja malibu and point joe):spingrin:

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Bajamatic]

jerry - 10-11-2006 at 12:32 PM

in like 1990 flew into cabo and then spent a week relaxing punta colorado when fishing and my first fish was 356lb blue marlin i was hooked
returned by moter home with boat in 1992 the moterhome and boat never came home since i have stayed from 6 weeks to 5and a half months a year but after next yr ill spend as much as i please hurrry

DanO - 10-11-2006 at 12:37 PM

Camping trip with my dad, step-mom and step-brother in the winter of 1969. Camped our way down to Playa Coyote and back.

shari - 10-11-2006 at 12:51 PM

First time here was to see baby gray whales...and boom, I got pregnant and been here ever since!! Love it. BC to BC

Barry A. - 10-11-2006 at 12:57 PM

One week Camping and backpack trip to the plateau of the San Pedro Martir in 1954 with Bud Bernhard and my aunt, and the Meling Ranch crew----------I was hooked----been going back ever since.

Bob H - 10-11-2006 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Camping trip with my dad, step-mom and step-brother in the winter of 1969. Camped our way down to Playa Coyote and back.

What was Playa Coyote like in 1969? WOW

Cypress - 10-11-2006 at 01:02 PM

Guess maybe it's just a "heading south" thing.;D

Bob H - 10-11-2006 at 01:05 PM

First went down with a buddy of mine in 1984 who's family had a home just North of Ensenada in Cibola del Mar. A bunch of us then started going down there regularly to party and eat fish and shrimp tacos. Then around 1987 I ventured south of Ensenada to San Quintin and that stirred an interest to venture even further south. Got married in 1989 and in early 1990 in my brand new F150 w/camper top and a carpet kit, we both took a trip all the way down to Cabo and back, camping along the way and that's when we got hooked and have been venturing down ever since. It sure is changing a lot faster that I ever imagined, but we still love it.
Bob and Audrey H

Al G - 10-11-2006 at 01:06 PM

prior to an incredible set of lucky circumstances, I thought Baja was nothing more then a rocky desert. Cabo san lucas was a very expensive fishing port compared to Mazatlan.
One day at my birthday lunch a friend related a story about his friend in Todo Santos, who was having trouble getting someone to care for his house there. It just happened I need somewhere to be alone awhile. It only took that one time and I had never thought about living in another country before. Now I will consider no other. I am still exploring more of Baja, more to just experience different areas.
I apologize to people who have read this story before.

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Al G]

Amo Baja

MrBillM - 10-11-2006 at 01:23 PM

First Trip (as far as I know) at five years old to Tijuana. After that, until age 15 many, many trips to TJ with Father/Mother. Spent the day at Agua Caliente Racetrack, the evenings at the Jai Alai Palace., then shopping along Ave Revolucion.

Mid-teens trips to TJ and Ensenada (fishing). First Gal (a pro) at age 14 paid for by dear old Dad. The best present he ever gave me.

Numerous trips to TJ, Rosarito and Ensenada during my teens and early 20s for drinking and debauchery. There used to be these buses that started out in the San Fernando Valley and picked up riders for Agua Caliente Racetrack. Rountrip bus fare, two taxi chits from San Ysidro Border to/from the racetrack and grandstand admission for $10.00 each. The only downside was that the bus departure didn't leave any real time to cruise the bars on Revolucion.

First trip to San Felipe 1966 to ride Dirt Bikes, Drink and Debauch, although SF was a disappointment from the debauchery standpoint. Many trips after to fish, camp, explore.

Leased a lot and moved a trailer down to Percebu in 1982.
It's been a great run.

Playa Coyote in 1969

DanO - 10-11-2006 at 01:32 PM

Bob, let's just say that whole area was a tad less developed. The only sign of civilization I can recall at Coyote then was a guy who showed up every couple of days in a burro-drawn cart, selling fruit and vegetables.

cat127 - 10-11-2006 at 03:21 PM

Many camping trips with my mom and dad when I was a wee one (circa 67'-75) to San Felipe, and again in my 20's.... Gonzaga once at 22, then to Cabo in 85'-89'....before the Wabo.

I am heading back because I cant handle one more thing with teriyaki sauce on it! (Just kidding.... kinda!)

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by cat127]

First started

Sharksbaja - 10-11-2006 at 03:25 PM

Looking for perfect waves in 1968, ended up in San Blas, many trips, then adventure took hold. Now I have ample reasons, all of which are good.:yes:

Wow Barry!

Hook - 10-11-2006 at 03:29 PM

My first time isn't nearly as glamorous as Playa Coyote or anything.

My first trip to Baja was in '69. I was 16 and I went with some neighbors who had a dune buggy. We camped in the dunes south of Cantamar, met gringo girls in the dunes, drank Mexican beers (I remember Mexicali and seem to remember a Tres Eques?), and had a good old time in the dunes with the gringo girls.

I've been "hook"ed ever since...........on Baja and girls!

Oh yeah, we also went to the "lobster village" that trip. For 5.00 (beers extra), you got all the fried lobster you could eat with beans, rice and tortillas. We just ate at a picnic table on the back porch of one of the fishermen. Dont know if it was called Puerto Nuevo back then. Turns out you cant eat that much fried lobster, really............

Capt. George - 10-11-2006 at 03:45 PM

read an article years back about big snook in Mulege River..This was when I was living in New York...early 70"s

finally got here in 2003! the snook are gone, but I ain't..........

Capt. George

David K - 10-11-2006 at 03:52 PM

Dad was a fisherman when he wasn't being a dentist... One of his patients was a travel partner friend of Howard Gulick (Lower California Guidebook author, map maker) named Andy Anderson... Anyway, Andy told my dad about Gonzaga Bay and that he needed a Jeep to get there!

A CJ wasn't big enough for basic comforts for camping my dad said. Andy said that Jeep solved that problem with the Wagoneer... My dad bought one, and we were off to Gonzaga Bay via San Felipe and soon other places on the peninsula... The year was 1965.

In 1966, we did "THE ROAD" Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas... took 2 weeks... came home via the ferry to Mazatlan.

I was hooked at age 8!

That's me in '66... Pavement ended before Colonet and didn't begin until 100 miles north of La Paz. Dirt again began 10 miles south of La Paz!

66-67 pics.jpg - 50kB

David K - 10-11-2006 at 03:55 PM

My dad and I ready to board the ferry to Mazatlan.... summer of 1966... This was one great man who nurtured my love for Baja by adding trips to Baja that didn't involve fishing so I could see the interior sites as well... Mom also loved all the historic sites... I miss them both!

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by David K]

66-67 pics 007.jpg - 27kB

Al G - 10-11-2006 at 04:01 PM

You are very lucky DK. from 16 on I only had women on my mind.

BajaWarrior - 10-11-2006 at 04:02 PM

My Mom and Dad use to go there in the late 60's to buy gas and just go shopping, my Brother and I thought everything was cool, kids selling items on the sidewalk, and yep, the painted donkey.

Later, snuck down there in 1976 at the ripe age of 15 with some older boys in my neighborhood with cars to surf the little jetty at Rosarito. We bought beer and fireworks and had a grand ol' time. We thought it was the trip of a lifetime. It was! We got these beers that had an opener on the bottom so you could open another, twist style, old Carta Blanca's?

Anyway, bought a Van at age 16 and started going to Baja for surf on a regular basis, each time going further south. K38, K55, San Miguel, Cabras, Quatro's Casas, Shipwrecks (when you could still climb on it 30 years ago).

The rest is history!

Skydiver - 10-11-2006 at 04:35 PM

As soon as I turned 16 and got my driver’s license, April, 68. First destination: Surfing in Baja. We all grew up on surfboards. My cousin JR, my brother Dennis, myself, and a bunch of our friends. We’d surfed up and down the California coast and had heard stories about Baja. It was harder for Dennis and I because we lived further inland. Finally I didn’t have to rely on someone else for a ride to the beach. Dennis, JR and I planned a week- long trip during Easter break from school. Back then all you needed was notarized permission from your parents to cross the border if you were under 18. (Don’t think I’d let my 16 year old daughter go down now by herself.) So Friday afternoon, armed with surfboards, sleeping bags, a tent and an ice chest we were off and the adventure began. We ended up spending pennies a day to camp on the bluff between K38 and K 39 (now it’s a high rise). We surfed there and explored the coast as far south as we could, searching for “ The Wave”. We had a blast. Tuesday was my girlfriend’s birthday and I had a hot date that night back in Azusa. I left JR and my brother at the campsite and promised to be back the next afternoon. Well…. Somehow I didn’t get back down there till Friday. No JR, No Dennis, No surfboards, just the tent and my sleeping bag. Crap! What had I done? Left two 14-year-old kids in a foreign country with nothing but the clothes on their back. There was no one around to ask any questions so I just decided to wait. Around sunset, an old beat up truck pulls out onto the Bluff with Dennis and JR in the back screaming their lungs out at me. I’ve never been called so many names in my life. Leave it to JR. He’d made friends with some of the locals and they took care of the two till I got back.

The next day the WAR started! There was an old out house on the bluff. I was inside taking care of business. JR some how managed to block the door so it wouldn’t open. He then dropped in about a brick of firecrackers. Besides the burns on my legs, I don’t think I could hear a thing for about a week. It took me over 10 years to pay him back for that one, but that’s another story. That was our first trip to Baja and JR’s introduction to the land and people he came to love.

capt. mike - 10-11-2006 at 04:57 PM

rented a club plane - piper 180 - for $23.50 an hour (wet!!) and blindly started hopping dirt strips north to south in 1981 for 10 days, camping all the way from San felipe to cabo. both sides, hooked immediately. been doing it ever since.

will never drive it again, takes too long to get anywhere...........:lol::lol:

Mike Humfreville - 10-11-2006 at 06:39 PM

We were moving back to the States, L.A., after two years on the Mexican mainland, living in Cuernavaca. My mom (dad had passed on) loved Mexico and the people there, the less complex life style and the ruggedness. She took my younger brother and me south of Rosarito Beach, camping, for many years. I met my second girlfriend (she never knew it), Judy from Alhambra CA, at Estero Beach. Even in those young years there was a warmth I recognized and shared with the Mexican people. So many years later we're still here and nothing has changed.

jettygirl - 10-11-2006 at 06:50 PM

It was 1983 and I worked for Fedex who had companion fares with other airlines. I had just broken up with my boyfriend and had a 2 week vacation coming up. So for $25 each way, I booked a flight into Cabo. The airport was still a palapa then. I jumped into a cab and gave the name of what I thought was the correct hotel, but found out upon arrival I was at the wrong place. No problemo the front desk said. Stay the night, on us, and we will get you to your correct hotel in the morning. Nice start to say the least. Hit my hotel the next day, checked in and went straight to the beach. c-cktail in hand I was soon making friends with a charter boat captian. Out to fish the next day when I met a sailor who was sailing the sea of cortez. Needless to say I spent the next 2 weeks sailing up the sea and caught a flight out of La Paz when the journey was over. I was not only hooked on Baja but hooked on sailing. New doors open when old doors close:smug::saint:

Oso - 10-11-2006 at 06:50 PM

Does a visit to the Blue Fox in TJ on the back of a stolen Harley at 17 count?

That was beginning of the 60's. I have a photo of my first "stuck" in the sands of San Felipe, mid-70's, that I'll post someday when I get a scanner.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-11-2006 at 07:18 PM

Oct 1968-Living in Bishop Calif.-Sister-in-Law gave me Ray Cannon's "The Sea of Cortez-Could not beleive the Fishin Stories- Had a New Cessna 172-
Flew to San Felipe-Bay of Los Angeles- La Paz- Cabo -
Back to Loreto where I met/fished with Alvaro Murillo. Was Hooked!
Back to the States traded the 172 for a TailDragger {170b} Started flying to every strip I could get to in Baja Sur- The Fantastic People, The Sea, The Fishing.

Capt. George: How about telling "The Rest of the Story"".???

Skeet/Loreto

Phil S - 10-11-2006 at 07:22 PM

My brother & I decided we need to find out why our 1st cousin was spending so much time in "mexico"!!!!!!!!!! Better known as Baja. So about l990 we caught a flight from Eugene Oregon to loreto BAja. to "check things out" Well, needless to say, that was in Oregon's winter time. When we walked off the plane, we were met with 80 degree temps. Soft, warm breezes. A cousin with a margarita in each hand. Then two weeks at Rattlesnake beach just south of Puerto Escondido in a tent for me and a Penthouse (canopy over a pickup bed pull trailer) for my brother. Soft, gentle sounds of the warm waters of the Sea of Cortez, lapping on the sea shell laiden beaches. Local Mexican natives, driving by the campsites marketing their wares. Jewelry, fresh vegitables, incredible carvings of eagles, marlin, dorado, quail, in ironwood. And freshly prepared tomales, prepared by Norma from Junacalito. Believe me. It doesn't get any better. And here we are 2006, and anxiously waiting for the time to head south.
In the meantime, we came back every winter after that. One time with travel trailers for our own creature comforts on the beach at Rattlesnake.
Then eventually a home in Nopolo. A home that had sat empty for five years. Awaiting our first visit to fall in love with it. It had views from the top sun deck of the Sea of Cortez. Views from the master bedroom deck looking west of the La Gigante Mts, and the most incredible sunsets you could ever imagine. And not to forget the sun rising over Isla Carmen every morning. If you can find anywhere any better than this "way of life" please let me know.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 10-12-2006 by Phil S]

BajaJim - 10-11-2006 at 09:21 PM

I was getting married and had a bachelor party in Yuma. All I know is the next morning I woke up in a motel room in San Felipe with a dollar in my pocket and my pubic area shaved and sprayed fluorescent orange.:o

westy - 10-12-2006 at 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaJim
I was getting married and had a bachelor party in Yuma. All I know is the next morning I woke up in a motel room in San Felipe with a dollar in my pocket and my pubic area shaved and sprayed fluorescent orange.:o

...........now THATS funny!

[Edited on 10-12-2006 by westy]

Don Alley - 10-12-2006 at 08:50 AM

My parents flew to Baja to fish in the late 1950s, and in 1961, when I was 10, they took me down to Rancho Las Cruces, near La Paz. I'd wanted to go back to Baja ever since.

I posted some old photos earlier:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18933

Tomas Tierra - 10-12-2006 at 09:22 AM

for me- high school surfing trips to k38 and "castillos" in the early eightys..

then in '88 jumped on my buddy's Catalina 34 sailboat for costa rica..thinking we would be about 6 weeks to CR....well we were 5 weeks to Cabo! spending incredible time in the remote pac side anchorages...

the gringos we met along the way along the way (camping) were such cool people( but so dirty and dusty, I now know why) I wanted to get back and drive down asap...what I really wanted was to get back to the desolate surf we had found along the way..Its been a love affair ever since!

DianaT - 10-12-2006 at 10:25 AM

Early 1950s, when I was 5 years old, my parents took us to the Bull Fights in Tijuana----HATED IT---never wanted to go back to Baja.

1960s in Los Angeles area, heard all the stories about the Blue Fox from the "guys" ---Baja was not where I wanted to go.

1980 divorced and with a date---went to Encenada for a weekend --- loved the place. It was still a fairly small city with all those wonderful chicken places with the dirty windows. Returned through Tecate which was really a lot smaller than today.

1990, married that man and started traveling more of the mainland of Mexico and Baja with him. Love both Baja and the mainland.

Diane

vgabndo - 10-12-2006 at 10:32 AM

Back in the early 60's in the Marines. We drove a buddy's old DeSoto with a bad water pump to TJ. The louder the pump got the more we turned up the radio. Those were Long Bar days. We rode the bus back.

As a Vet in college we drove 12 hours round trip from Yuma to TJ and scored a "lid" of Oregano. Perfect justice.

In the early seventies while wrenching at dirt bike shops in San Diego we camped and rode in the Sierra Juarez as often as possible. Lucky Yamaha.

After driving to Belize on our honeymoon in '92, we decided that Baja was better because it was closer. After 3800 miles in a 78 E-150 camper van we had found our future and I had put down a cash deposit on a rental "solar" in San Nicolas.

A dozen years later, I can't wait for November 15th. !!!

Yeah

MrBillM - 10-12-2006 at 10:37 AM

I can understand why most gals wouldn't appreciate the Blue Fox, although we were there with a large mixed group one evening in the late 60s coming back from a big Motorcycle race on the beach just below Halfway House and those gals seemed to have a good time. In fact, I found out later that night just how much it had turned on the gal I was with.

For Tecate and Ensenada to seem like a small town in 1980, I'm assuming that Diane must come from the Big City. Having seen both in the early 60s, they seemed pretty far gone to me by 1980.

DianaT - 10-12-2006 at 10:45 AM

Quote:

For Tecate and Ensenada to seem like a small town in 1980, I'm assuming that Diane must come from the Big City. Having seen both in the early 60s, they seemed pretty far gone to me by 1980.

You are correct----and since John had been there in the 60s and 70s, he would agree with you.

Diane

pargo - 10-12-2006 at 11:19 AM

Visited my Tio in La Paz. At the time he was a pilot out of the airport there. Love Baja ever since....nuff said!:D

Desert Dreams

motoged - 10-12-2006 at 03:12 PM

It was 1989 and my sister and her partner invited me down to kayak off Isla Espiritu Santu for 10 days. My sister and her partner guided kayaks out of Loreto for 15 years or so and knew what was what...although much more conservative in their adventuring than I.

I had heard of the Baja through vehicle ads on tv teasing "You're not gonna drive THAT thing in the Baja", I had already a desire to spend time in deserts, and my favourite places have desert, ocean shores, and palm trees....little did I know that fish tacos would soon be added to the "Must Have" list.

That first trip was, including the kayaking at Espiritu Santu, 6 weeks camping around the south cape area (one week with a VW bug....the rest was hitchhiking. I returned in 1994 on a motorcycle and have continued that way of travel on various motorcycles since....camping and some motels....

One trip was a truck trip only as far south as San Quintin with my brother....a taste of Ensenada with some surprises at some seedy bars.....

I live in BC norte (in Canada, eh) and have a bunch of dirtbike friends who have and continue to race there. My preference is more leisurely exploring outback with some cervezas and tacos as daily nourishment.

This list is my most valued info source as well as contact with new and familiar faces.

I would hope someday to hook up with a pilot and spend some time above Baja as Google earth is only a tease...(I would pay for the gas and Tecates, no problemo)....fishing is less of an interest but exploring the coastlines (Sea of Cortez first) by boat is also another wish.....

My wife is less interested in Baja than me...perhaps because she was robbed at knifepoint by her taxi driver in San Jose del Cabo on way to airport in 2000....and then dumped on the highway by the airport with no money and only some of her luggage....a painful lesson that we won't forget when travelling.....no solo taxi trips for her in ANY country.

I used to think I would retire in Baja with an Airstream....that dream has run its course, but as long as I can get around, I will be back every other year or so....and hopefully for a winter (or five) when I can figure out how to retire before I run out of steam.

Ged

Eli - 10-13-2006 at 05:40 AM

First trip down was to Gonzaga bay about "58", camping with Don Jimmy out of an old army truck that we called Esmarelda. I remember being 7 years old sitting on the beach digging my toes into the sand thinking this is where I want to be the rest of my life.

Spent a good many years trying to make the dream stick and it finally stuck in "89". Even though I am on the mainland for awhile, I would most certainly call Los Barriles home. That is after all where my Papa is buried,and my grandchildren were born and in the end where my heart belongs.

pappy - 10-13-2006 at 08:46 AM

parents took us down in '68 for vacation.thatwas it-love was in the air....

vandenberg - 10-13-2006 at 12:37 PM

Inthe early 70's ,trips to Ensenada, then San Quentin ( 5 guys in rented M/H ) then San Felipe ( 4 guys in a van ). Then in the second half of the 70's all the way to Cabo in a newly acquired M/H. Little fishing village then. Very charming. Was invited on a sailboat in Escondido and really fell in love with the place. Bought a palapa in Tripui ( waiting list and $ 2000.00 deposit at that time ), spend 4 wonderful years there. Then built a home in Nopolo and have made this our permanent home ever since. Going on 16 years. Dreading every minute when we have to go back to California to look after health or business.

sunshine - 10-16-2006 at 12:10 PM

The first trip, aside from the tijuana friday nights, was San Felipe spring break in 90. Continued that tradition for years until my nieghbor and good freind started driving to Cabo in his Jeep. I was always jealous of him and my roomate after they got back after two plus weeks driving the penninsula every year.
Finally in 1999 I bought a new 4wd ranger and threw everything in and took off with my buddy. Spent time in Cabo, cabo pulmo, El Cardonal, and finally agua verde. Been going back ever since every chance I get.

Debra - 10-16-2006 at 07:19 PM

I was in San Diego on my way to Corpus Christi, Texas and took a wrong turn.....took me 3 months to find my way back across the border! :lol:

Mexitron - 10-16-2006 at 11:52 PM

Flew down with Link Grindle and family to Gonzaga in 1975...been a great thirty years...now if I can figure how to get there from Fort Worth...Skeet?

First trip to Baja

John M - 10-17-2006 at 06:15 AM

June 1975

We had been to the Score race at Riverside Raceway in 1974 and signed a sheet to help at future races. Got a letter to meet at Mickey Thompsons shop (near Long Beach?) and they asked if we'd go to Mike's Sky Ranch to help with the '500 in June.

My wife & I had never been to Baja so we said "Sure!" - What a trip - lots could be told. But we found Mike's in the middle of the night, coming in from Highway 1 and San Telmo.

Been enjoying Baja ever since.

John M

jimgrms - 10-17-2006 at 06:30 AM

Went with school friend and his dad to san felipe in 52 at the ripe old age of 14 ,friend and i had 20 buck each and got drunk , the jail was a old panel truck painted black, and the local sheriff was big and mean, all roads were dirt and the clam man had the local kids dig the clams and would give them candy for them ,,it was the only time i got in trouble in
mexico Jim

dean miller - 10-17-2006 at 07:57 AM

December 1951 or 1952

I was attending college in SoCal and involved in the infant sport of "diving' (aka SCUBA.) At that juncture in history diving equipment was crude or non exixtant (wet suits appeared in 1954, Single hose regs in 1957, PFD 1963, BCs 1967 etc)

A family friend spent his vacations in Ensenada pole fishing and always returned glowing reports with his coolers full of fish.

It was time to make a investigative diving trip to calm, clear, WARM water of Ensenada bay to escape the cool SoCal winter and bone chilling water. Armed with trusty pole spears,(aka Jab sticks) mask & fins four of us piled into a car during the Christmas break and headed south.

We traveled the old road ( the only road) to Ensenada where the road terminated at park and the movie theater which was located near Hussongs. The remainder of the sleepy berg was dust and mud. We went to Gordos ( the unoffical meeting place,) then Jack Dempsey's which was closed, on to Victors for a huge very inexpensive breakfast. Had a conversation with Victor who was an Expat from San Pedro married to a Mexican national, he suggested a dirt road that lead us north of town to the area now occupied by Granda cove or Kings trailer park.

On to the ocean and the suprise of our young lives. The water was clear and calm but cold! bone chilling cold! at least 10-20 or more degress cooler that SoCal water.

Dejected by the near freezing water, we headed for Hussongs to listen to Viennese walzes and fortify our young bodies with a HUGE maggie prior to the long trip home.

All that happended a long time ago.....

After a stint as a USAF officer in the Korean unpleasantness I returned to my beloved SoCal in 1956, purchased a WW11 surplus 4X4 Dodge Ambulance, (The Mexican Mercedes 1) and began my life long association with Baja. With the MM1, I was fortunate to explore the then unexplored and dove the then undove.

DM

Halboo - 10-17-2006 at 06:40 PM

My folks and I went to TJ and Rosarito alot back in the late 60's early 70's; then when I was in the Navy I had an apt. for a couple years in IB which made surf trips into Baja easy.
I made several Baja surfaris in the 80's and one major mainland trip and then kind of stopped for a few years.
Starting to get back into beach camping and that again the past couple years.
Viva Mexico.
Halboo

TacoFeliz - 10-17-2006 at 06:55 PM

My dad had been racing sailboats to Ensenada since the first race in 1948, before I was even a twinkle in his eye. At about age 11 I ended up camping with Ensenada Boy Scout troop with Tomas Robertson and his family at San Miguel about 1961-2 and for a couple of years after that. Great times were had by all involved and most of us gringo kids were hooked on the people and the culture and the whole place in general. I know it changed me for good.

After I was old enough to drive, surfing and fish tacoing trips became part of my expanding universe, then trips throughout mainland Mexico, Belize and Guatemala in my early twenties. Married in 1979 at Quintas Papagayo near Ensenada, then honeymooned in Oaxaca. When the kids were big enough to walk we ran them around the Yucatan penninsula, Nayarit and Baja. Jeeped up and down Baja for the last 25 years or so (now pop-top campering).

Can't seem to get it out of my blood. (nor will I try to)

Jay :spingrin: