BajaNomad

Expat, american, gringo, americano?

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 05:16 PM

What would you prefer Mexicans to call you if your an american or foreigner living in Baja?

BajaWarrior - 10-31-2006 at 05:27 PM

I prefer Amigo

Al G - 10-31-2006 at 05:29 PM

I think few would care. Seems strange considering all the political "correctness" wrangling in the US. I believe it is good to be a gringo. I think only Mexicans consider it demeaning.

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 05:33 PM

Well, there has to be a preference. I know some who don't like to be called gringos. And amigo or seņor is not descriptive of foreigners.

Mango - 10-31-2006 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
What would you prefer Mexicans to call you if your an american or foreigner living in Baja?

Expatriate is the most appropriate according to the dictionary.

Both american and americano could mean anyone from the USA, Canada, Chile, Peru, etc.. Norte Americano narrows it to only three countries. "Americano" is often used to imply one is from the USA; but, I prefer not to use it out of respect for all the other Americans not living in the USA. It's an ambiguous term at best.

I personally think "gringo" works the best in a casual setting becuase it is simple and understood everywhere. I don't find that it is a derogatory word in and of itself; although, it could be used in a derogatory context if the user so wished...yet so could any other label/term/word.

Amigo works well in casual settings and Senor/Senora/Senorita is appropriate in more formal settings.

toneart - 10-31-2006 at 05:36 PM

I really don't care. I think "gringo" is supposed to be a derogatory word, but somehow it doesn't strike an emotional chord within me. I refer to myself as a gringo.

If it is used as a reference to a person by a Mexican, you will probably not hear it. Among friends, if a Mexican calls you any slang word, it is because he genuinely likes you. It is usually followed by lots of laughs.

Summanus - 10-31-2006 at 05:39 PM

I am called a pet name by friends...but am referred to and described to others as an Americano by the Mexicans I live with...this would be my preference. Gringo gets too much bad usage, expat seems a little silly and Casablance-like...while American is the wrong pronunciation.

Good quest. What would you prefer Americans to call you if you are a Mexican or foreigner living in the U.S.?

toneart - 10-31-2006 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Both american and americano could mean anyone from the USA, Canada, Chile, Peru, etc.. Norte Americano narrows it to only three countries. "Americano" is often used to imply one is from the USA; but, I prefer not to use it out of respect for all the other Americans not living in the USA. It's an ambiguous term at best.

This is news to many people from the U.S. Particularly politicians. Many are ignorant in their belief that we (from the U.S.A.) are the only Americans. Thank you for enlightening, Mango:light:

comitan - 10-31-2006 at 05:49 PM

Toneart

You explained my feelings perfectly.

k1w1 - 10-31-2006 at 05:50 PM

... neighbour

Bruce R Leech - 10-31-2006 at 05:51 PM

it doesn't mater they will call you what ever they want. if they like you they will call you their Friend and if they don't they will call you something else. just like every ware in the world. it is up to each person to treat everyone with respect and it will be returned to you.

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 05:53 PM

I like to be called by my name.

Bajagypsy - 10-31-2006 at 05:55 PM

Bruce I couldn't agree more, what ever happened to treating people with kidness and respect??? Act like an A$s get treated like an A$s ;)

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 05:59 PM

Well, i guess everything is o.k. as long as they don't call you "P-nche perro":lol:

Bruce R Leech - 10-31-2006 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Well, i guess everything is o.k. as long as they don't call you "P-nche perro":lol:

they can even call me that if they are joking:lol:

Eli - 10-31-2006 at 06:03 PM

Oh que, I must admit, I sure get snuggly warm inside and really feel like I belong and am respected when folks call me Dona, o.k, and if you want to smooze up to me, Jefa works real well too.

jones - 10-31-2006 at 06:33 PM

Gringo, no doubt! It's an old and fine definition of who I am in Mexico.

vgabndo - 10-31-2006 at 06:50 PM

Good question Jesse. I call myself a gringo, but now that I understand more of your language, I'll have to admit that when I heard a "friend" refer to me as a gringo when he KNEW my name, I was hurt. I really like vecino, but that too has its limitations. We, in my case, are all Californenos so that doesn't work. And saying that I'm from the United States is wrong too because yours are the United States of Mexico, right?

What ever you call me, just don't call me: "late for dinner".:lol:

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 06:54 PM

Jesse -
You have to admit, " P-nche Gringo" is well used by Mexicans. That is derogatory.

What do Mexicans accept as a label?
Do Mexicans like being referred to as "Beaners " or " Greasers " or "Frijoleros" or Whatever?

It seems to me that derogatory name calling is fun when it comes from Mexicans but unacceptible when it is used by Norte Americanos.

Why is that, Jesse? It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

bajarich - 10-31-2006 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

This is news to many people from the U.S. Particularly politicians. Many are ignorant in their belief that we (from the U.S.A.) are the only Americans. Thank you for enlightening, Mango:light:

I recently heard the anti-immigration people use the fact that Latin Americans refer to themselves as "Americans" as proof that they want to make Mexico and the United States one country. Those people are ignorant of the fact that peoples from the Americas are all "Americans" because they live in North or South America. They are just blowing smoke.

Summanus - 10-31-2006 at 07:18 PM

You are in London, Paris, Berlin, or Prague. You are with friends from Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Brazil. Who will be called the American?

Bruce R Leech - 10-31-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
You are in London, Paris, Berlin, or Prague. You are with friends from Canada, US, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Brazil. Who will be called the American?

good point

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 07:32 PM

Vgabndo____
You raise a memory of a conversation which I had at the University here in Ensenada.
The group was cordial when the topic came to the name of the U.S.A.

Americans, as we say, are wrong in calling ourselves Americans, as everybody in the Americas has that distinction

United States--- Lots of countrys call themselves the "United States" including Mexico.

What it boiled down to, and the point where the Mexicans lost their cordiality, was that we, Yankee Doodle Americans, dont have a name for our country. We have borrowed bits and pieces of other countrys names to use as our own.
That is what these students and professors think and, I have heard it on the streets as well.

Jeezo ----Are we despised. If not for the graciousness of the culture here, we would all be dead.

bajaguy - 10-31-2006 at 07:44 PM

I think I would like to be addressed as "Doctor".........I have the hands of a Sturgeon........:lol::lol::lol:

Summanus - 10-31-2006 at 07:45 PM

The United States of Mexico = Mexicans

The United States of America = Americans

It's not rocket science.

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 07:49 PM

Yeah .... Good luck trying to tell a Mexican that Mexico isn't in the Americas.

Thats ok--- the god of nightly thunder will explain it to you

Summanus - 10-31-2006 at 07:55 PM

I think you missed my point, but sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. My stint with fellow Mexican students was somewhat different, I guess. It's what makes a horse race...not being all the same.

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 07:57 PM

BG ----
And "The breasted heart of Florence Nightengale" which makes you an all-around guy... um.. uh.. gal .....I dont know.

Summanus - 10-31-2006 at 08:02 PM

"Si no mi quieres,......."

Bruce R Leech - 10-31-2006 at 08:05 PM

thanks JESSE this is a good thread. we need more like this to keep us all thinking. it is funny how some people think one way when they are on the north side of the line and take the opposite stand on the south side.:rolleyes:

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 08:10 PM

Summanus ----

No. I got your point. I got your point so many years ago when I didn't realise that there was more to these international feelings than I could dismiss with with small-talk.
If you seriously want to see why there is a long distance between our countrys, study the Mexican / American War. In the Mexican heart, it never came to an end....probably never will.

Thanks for coming back and forget me .... my feathers are always ruffled.

David K - 10-31-2006 at 08:17 PM

There is a difference between the name of the continents (North America, South America) and the nationality of the people of the United States of America... From the Americas does not mean one is an American.

People from Chile or Costa Rica might live in 'the Americas', but they are not AMERICAN... They are Chilean or Costa Rican.

People from the United States of America are AMERICANS. That was established before any other country on the American continents was created.

All the other countries on the two continents have names for their citizens (Canada=Canadians, Brazil=Brazillians, etc.).

Anyway, 'United Statians' sounds dumb! So please don't take our nationality of American away from us!

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Jesse -
You have to admit, " P-nche Gringo" is well used by Mexicans. That is derogatory.

What do Mexicans accept as a label?
Do Mexicans like being referred to as "Beaners " or " Greasers " or "Frijoleros" or Whatever?

It seems to me that derogatory name calling is fun when it comes from Mexicans but unacceptible when it is used by Norte Americanos.

Why is that, Jesse? It shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

Well, i am usually just called a Mexican. Ive never been called a beaner or a greaser in my life so its hard for me to express an opinion. As for what i personally call people that come from the USA. I usually call the ones i am not friends with, Americano or guerito. If your walking around town beer in hand shouting and laughing, then your a gringo. And if your my friend, i will call you by your name.

Amigo seems like a term a salesman loosely uses to try to make friends with you in order to get you to buy something. Gabacho is not not used by many people these days, my dad used to use it a lot, he would have american customers that would come to him and he would say "el juez gabacho" or "el abogado gabacho". Well, this makes me think, what would a guy like JR should be called? hes obviously not a gringo. you cant call him an american because hes too close to the locals. JR sounds too weird. Damn, now this is a hard question to awnser.

Sorry for drifting into something else, suddenly JR and San Bartolo came to mind. But anyways, i think i have found the key to this most often asked question but almost never awnsered.

If your an american living in Mexico, the most desirable wod that should be used to adress you is:

"EL" before your name.

You see, if they call you Joe, your just a Joe. And theres millions of Joes, but not millions of Joes here in Baja, so your like a thing. But if you get a local to say "EL" Joe, then polarities change and the ying goes to yang. Your suddenly THE Joe, or a person who is valuable in my life.

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 08:20 PM

Bruce ---
I agree. This is a good topic, as are so many others here.
But, if I may ask .... Where is the dichotomy of thought?
What is different from one side to the other, as you say?
Im not argueing --- just asking. I highly respect your opinion.

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There is a difference between the name of the continents (North America, South America) and the nationality of the people of the United States of America... From the Americas does not mean one is an American.

People from Chile or Costa Rica might live in 'the Americas', but they are not AMERICAN... They are Chilean or Costa Rican.

People from the United States of America are AMERICANS. That was established before any other country on the American continents was created.

All the other countries on the two continents have names for their citizens (Canada=Canadians, Brazil=Brazillians, etc.).

Anyway, 'United Statians' sounds dumb! So please don't take our nationality of American away from us!

Well, the argument is usually that americans kidnapped the word america for themselves. I personally think nobody took it while it was available like a net domain, so you guys took it like a Chinese guy getting the trademark for the Virgin of Guadalupe so now its yours. :lol:

Besides, what other names could you guys pick?

DENNIS - 10-31-2006 at 08:27 PM

Good thing Jeese, or I will say El Jesse. A sign of respect. You have mine.

David K - 10-31-2006 at 08:28 PM

Gringo doesn't bother me... I use that term often when describing other Americans to Mexican friends.

Of course the name comes from when American troops were marhing into Mexico 150 years ago or so.

I haven't heard 'beaner' used since high school days!

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 08:29 PM

El David K.;D

jerry - 10-31-2006 at 08:31 PM

heck most people just call me jerry Russians, germans, English, (allthou their kinda stuff shirts) and even Mexicans and i call myself a gringo in Mexico so i feel if everyone wound benafit if they just jump off the band wagon and just be real people as long as there calling you something in the right tone of voice communacation is open hell in the united states of america in the state or oregon county of lane city of eugene santa clara areai still dont know how to correctly address a Black. negro, afro-american, or a number of names i just say hea Guy or Buddy or Lady

it seem counterproductive to put anyone in a bottle and label it

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
heck most people just call me jerry Russians, germans, English, (allthou their kinda stuff shirts) and even Mexicans and i call myself a gringo in Mexico so i feel if everyone wound benafit if they just jump off the band wagon and just be real people as long as there calling you something in the right tone of voice communacation is open hell in the united states of america in the state or oregon county of lane city of eugene santa clara areai still dont know how to correctly address a Black. negro, afro-american, or a number of names i just say hea Guy or Buddy or Lady

it seem counterproductive to put anyone in a bottle and label it

speaking of bottles:lol:

David K - 10-31-2006 at 08:36 PM

El Gringo Loco works!:lol::lol::lol:

How do you translate 'Crazy Baja Nut'?

jerry - 10-31-2006 at 08:40 PM

yup jesse tequla, gin, vodka, whiskey, all just tounge lube

David K - 10-31-2006 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I keep hearing people yelling Sancho at me as I'm running.

My helpers explained to me 'Sancho'... It is said whenever one sneezes...

I don't think I want to print here what they told me the meaning was...

Jesse

bajaguy - 10-31-2006 at 08:51 PM

Check your u2u, please

Skipjack Joe - 10-31-2006 at 09:46 PM

They just call me 'el viejo'. :mad:

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
They just call me 'el viejo'. :mad:

You should be glad they don't call you ruco:lol:

The Sculpin - 10-31-2006 at 10:11 PM

My mexican friends call me either vato or cabron. However, I would never dare to reciprocate with same. I usually respond with flaco, gordo, jeffe, or maybe after a few, pulga!!

Summanus - 10-31-2006 at 10:18 PM

My old friends often call me a Mulegenian with a proud look. Which is good enough for this norteamericano...by way of Canada.

JESSE - 10-31-2006 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
My mexican friends call me either vato or cabron. However, I would never dare to reciprocate with same. I usually respond with flaco, gordo, jeffe, or maybe after a few, pulga!!

Ah sculpin! vato or cabron its even better than EL.

toneart - 10-31-2006 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin

Ah sculpin! vato or cabron its even better than EL.

Exactly my point! If you are called cabron behind your back....that's bad. If they call you cabron to your face, you are their friend. I'm not sure I want to be "El Cabron" though.:no:

daveB - 11-1-2006 at 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

David K has it right. Being from Canada I know I live in North America, but its a fact that I'm not American, but Canadian. What I'm called by Mexicans while in their country may be another story, but I am aware most know and place a difference between the two.
A great, great uncle of mine fell near Mexico City in 1847 but I have never considered myself a Gringo. He was, but likely without ever knowing it.

Bruce R Leech - 11-1-2006 at 07:12 AM

Don Jorge that is funny

Lee - 11-1-2006 at 07:18 AM

My impression of the word gringo is race but more so color. My impression, and I've never had someone explain this, is gringo means white. If a brown skinned Mex is born and raised in CA, is he/she a gringo? The same person is Baja, even if it were known they were born/raised in CA, wouldn't be labeled gringo.

Again, my impression is if you're white, you're a gringo -- and it doesn't matter if your European or from up North.

Like someone said here, the tone matters.

Like the Hawaiian word for white -- haole -- it's not a compliment though it's not always a put down. What it is, always, is a way to separate people. To me, it definitely means ''outsider.''

:cool:

Mexitron - 11-1-2006 at 07:38 AM

Son gabacho; gringo es mas malo, es que mi trabajadores de Guerrerro dele mi.

SoCalAl - 11-1-2006 at 08:54 AM

Take it from a Mexican,
When Mexicans call you Gringo it is usually like Americans calling Mexicans Spanish. Most have no clue what Gringo means, heck I don't have a clear picture of what it means. I have been told that it comes from the old Green Coats, some kind of war thing back in the days when the Americans were fighting Mexicans, I think the war with Texas vs Mexico, as you can see I don't know to much about history but I do know my family and friends from Mexico and that is how they use the term. When you are not liked they add the word "P-nche" in front of it, including to their own people for example if you are dark in Mexico and someone does not like you they may call you "P-nche Negro" or "P-nche Indio" but the same people w hen liked are called "Mi Negrito" or "Mi Indiata" they add the famous "ito or ita" to make it a good thing.
In order tocall you "Cabron, buey" and any other strong term, they must really trust you and then they will say it to your face. Usually this type of behavior comes from mostly men that drink a few cervezas together but you will seldom if ever here it from a Mexican woman.
In Mexico, especially the mainland in in the suburbs, Americans are viewes as something special, someone rich, someone with power, someone with knowledge, a beacon a symbol of opportunity, so even when they refer to a US citizen as a "Gringo" they are only using it as a symbolic gesture, something that was spoken of only in tell tales, fairy tales, bedtime stories and such like events. In many Mexican Pueblos and Towns the racism card doesn't come into play because they don't know how to be racist. When they see someone different they are overtaken by curiousity and usually are very timid about approching the person but once they build enough confidence they want to be all around you to find out about you. I guess it isn't till the money rolls in and the influence from folks in larger cities that move in to the developing pueblos (towns) that the greed and envy begin to awaken a monster with-in the usually very friendly and child like in character Mexican families.
I don't know how many can relate but that is the truth and I should know i am Mexican and grew up in this way, until I migrated to the USA.
As far as being called beaner or greaser or Spanish for that matter, it never settled in with me in the correct way. I have a hard time with it for I know that in this country everyone, except those who could care less get an education free or rather on the taxpayers generousity (maybe forced) and thus does not warrant labling someone by race or slurs of culture. It is not like Americans are called hot dogs or roast beaf or McDonalds or anything like that. It is like calling a Chinese man, fried rice or Japanese, tempura or little wok. Mexican is often not taken well for some reason but Mexicano is OK and so is Latino. Seņor or Seņorita is the best as they are signs of respect. It is like calling someone Sir or Mam and I know that never irrates anyone for I used it hundreds of times when conducing business. Then once you get to know them by name you call them by name.
Well my two cents worth. God be with you all and there was no intention in my comments to undermine or insult anyone. Just trying to shed some light into the issue from a Mexicanos perspective.

SoCalAl
Alex

David K - 11-1-2006 at 09:02 AM

Hola Lee, in answer to your post:

"My impression of the word gringo is race but more so color. My impression, and I've never had someone explain this, is gringo means white. If a brown skinned Mex is born and raised in CA, is he/she a gringo? The same person is Baja, even if it were known they were born/raised in CA, wouldn't be labeled gringo."

That seems correct... Once they know the person of Mexican race is an American... specially one that can't even speak Spanish, then he is called a POCHO!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mil Gracias Al, your posts are always very appreciated because you do them with such authority...

tu amigo (un gringo), David

Bruce R Leech - 11-1-2006 at 09:05 AM

thanks Alex a good view. of coarse you know that when you come back to Mexico they will call you Pocho. they have a word for every one here.

Summanus - 11-1-2006 at 09:08 AM

One version of defining the word, 'gringo'.

Gringo...This is truly only derogatory in regions of northern Mexico and in the United States where it translates to "white foreigner." Gringo/a in many other countries in Latin America really only translates as "foreigner" without a pejorative connotation. Is generally used to refer to all foreigners/tourists of apparently northern European descent. Some say it comes from Spanish "griego" (meaning Greek) which used to be used to refer to anything foreign. Others say it comes from hearing Americans sing the popular song "Green Grow the Rushes" (unlikely though). Yet others believe it comes from when soldiers were in South America and they all wore green outfits, and they would say, "Green Go."

And so it goes...as the thread churns. Good fun with morning coffee.

SoCalAl - 11-1-2006 at 09:29 AM

Bruce,
Unfortunately for me they don't call me pocho, I have a nopal (cactus) face and look totally Mexican and thus am treated like any other Mexican. Hmmmm that has it's advantages though. In America I am treated like a Mexican when I go anywhere, people don't even think I speak English, I guess the mustache and goat-tee give it away hey, heehehe...
:cool::cool::lol:
The only time that my true identity is given away is when they see the car I drive with Cal plates on it. Otherwise I blend in pretty well, ohh I am supposed to huh.?:lol:
Hey this is some neat stuff here but honestly in I agree with Summanus that it is mostly in the norther regions of Mexico with emphasis on the border and tourist towns that the term Gringo is used in a negative way or at all. Guerito is more common in ranchos and pueblos and being blond or white is a sacred thing in Mexico.;D

Summanus - 11-1-2006 at 10:21 AM

Good post, Alex...hey, a handsome moustache and goatee will win you friends every time. I should know, cuz I wear them, too. By the way, I think I spotted you on I-15 cruising up to Escondido the other day. You were in that boss 50 Packard, right? Nice ride.

I, too, am called a slang name now and then for belonging to a certain group...I am a 'cheeser'...anyone know where this slang comes from? Hint: I am not a Packer fan.

SoCalAl - 11-1-2006 at 10:24 AM

No that was not me Summanus, but I would not mind owning "boss 50 Packard" what ever that is? It sounds like a vintage carro.
My guess is you are from Wisconson or otherwise you are someone's boss..hehehe:lol:

a little off thread...but porque no?

Summanus - 11-1-2006 at 10:53 AM

Alex...I once had a car like this old Packard.. way back when they were not so classic, rare, and expensive like today.

Nope...not from Wisconsin, but I love their cheese, too. Sorry if this is getting slightly off-thread from Jesse's topic, but it's the nature of the forum, I suppose....now back to the main theme.

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by Summanus]

longlegsinlapaz - 11-1-2006 at 11:23 AM

Gringo, Gringa, Americano, Norteamericano, Amiga, Senora, La Senora, La Patrona, P-nche Gringa....the words don't matter quite as much as the tone of voice & facial expression! Friends can call me a P-nche gringa with no malice....though a stranger in any setting calling me a P-nche gringa comes across totally differently!! I believe that whatever the origin of gringo may have been, that it's evolved to be a designator of any non-Mexicano, for whom there isn't a more well-known & socially acceptable term or classification. To me, the term gringo in & of itself is not considered a racial slur. I'd never use terms like beaner, etc. even in jest. I consider myself an Americano/Norteamericano/Gringa living in Baja, and I've been called all of these names in a respectful tone & very infrequently in a totally disrespectful tone, so I think it's more the presentation than the words! I have a young Mexican amigo that I've known for 7 years, the first time he heard me refer to myself as a gringa, he was horrified & told me gringo/gringa is derogatory & he's never used that term with me. First & foremost, we are all human beings, citizens of Planet Earth & secondly, you have to give respect to get it back! It's the old "You reap what you sow" adage.

Summanus - 11-1-2006 at 11:45 AM

Quote:

Well, of course we all aspire to bel good neighbors and have close friends who are our hosts in Baja..or we wouldn't love Baja for long. But Jesse's pertinent question asks..."What would you PREFER..?" Having read a few of Jesse's posts in the past, one could deduce that it is a provocative quest, but nevertheless it should be of interest to foreigners everywhere, which we ALL are at times.

So...what's your choice from his list...or does that limit you too much?

Perhaps a straight answer is impossible.

What name

sunslim - 11-1-2006 at 11:55 AM

In some (many? most?) parts of Mexico Mexicans use Norteamericano to mean someone from the US or Canada. They are adamant that they aren't Norteamericanos but are Mexicanos!?
I think to be called a gringo is usually okay. Depends on how it is used.
Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Gringo, Gringa, Americano, Norteamericano, Amiga, Senora, La Senora, La Patrona, P-nche Gringa....the words don't matter quite as much as the tone of voice & facial expression! Friends can call me a P-nche gringa with no malice....though a stranger in any setting calling me a P-nche gringa comes across totally differently!! I believe that whatever the origin of gringo may have been, that it's evolved to be a designator of any non-Mexicano, for whom there isn't a more well-known & socially acceptable term or classification. To me, the term gringo in & of itself is not considered a racial slur. I'd never use terms like beaner, etc. even in jest. I consider myself an Americano/Norteamericano/Gringa living in Baja, and I've been called all of these names in a respectful tone & very infrequently in a totally disrespectful tone, so I think it's more the presentation than the words! I have a young Mexican amigo that I've known for 7 years, the first time he heard me refer to myself as a gringa, he was horrified & told me gringo/gringa is derogatory & he's never used that term with me. First & foremost, we are all human beings, citizens of Planet Earth & secondly, you have to give respect to get it back! It's the old "You reap what you sow" adage.

As we say 'back home':

Dave - 11-1-2006 at 12:15 PM

Don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for supper.

Martyman - 11-1-2006 at 02:24 PM

Alot of them I call...Dumbass!

Summanus - 11-1-2006 at 02:30 PM

okay... the choices are now: Expat, american, gringo, americano, or dumbass.

FARASHA - 11-1-2006 at 02:40 PM

I never had anywhere to deal with such a variety. In most countries I've been, I was just a Senora, Madam, Hagg, Mrs, Geveret, ....... Which I found correct and was fine with me.
Never was called a FOREIGNER, or a specific name for foreigners - like Gringo/Gringa, or called by my Citizenship.
Interesting that in Mexico there is such a difference!!

Summanus - 11-1-2006 at 02:52 PM

My friend, Carlos Luna, or Charlie Moon, is from the Dominican Republic...some in Chula Vista call him a 'dome'...he calls them 'chams'. Adolescent and unsophisticated for the most part, I think it is just fun and games during a transitional period.

Hey, when you think about it from some previous posts, Carlos should then be called a Republican, right?

longlegsinlapaz - 11-1-2006 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
Quote:

Well, of course we all aspire to bel good neighbors and have close friends who are our hosts in Baja..or we wouldn't love Baja for long. But Jesse's pertinent question asks..."What would you PREFER..?" Having read a few of Jesse's posts in the past, one could deduce that it is a provocative quest, but nevertheless it should be of interest to foreigners everywhere, which we ALL are at times.

So...what's your choice from his list...or does that limit you too much?

Perhaps a straight answer is impossible.

All right already! ;D From that list, I'd take offense to "expat". To me patriot is more a verb than a noun, and no matter where I am in the world, I'm still a US citizen, and the ex- makes it sound former, which I'll never be, I'll always be a US patriot! Foreigner would come in a close second in the negative column.

Lee - 11-1-2006 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
I never had anywhere to deal with such a variety. In most countries I've been, I was just a Senora, Madam, Hagg, Mrs, Geveret, ....... Which I found correct and was fine with me.
Never was called a FOREIGNER, or a specific name for foreigners - like Gringo/Gringa, or called by my Citizenship.
Interesting that in Mexico there is such a difference!!

Well, not as interesting, or not interesting, as being called a Haole (in Hawaii). And, if you're white in Hawaii, being called Haole is not a compliment. Again, my impression having spent time there. So, white folk are definitely doing better in Mexico.

To me, there isn't much difference in haole and gringo/a. Maybe I think Mexicans are nicer.

(There are parts of Hawaiii where people can be down right hostile towards haoles. Don't know if that's true in Baja. Anyone know?)

:cool:

Long Legs

Baja Bernie - 11-1-2006 at 06:11 PM

I vote you win and I salute you--So alright already!