BajaNomad

US CAR INSURANCE?

elchinero - 11-4-2006 at 08:43 AM

I have vehicles that "live" San Felipe w/ Mexican full-coverage and (also) liability in US ... to allow AZ plates. Can I buy temporary Full Coverage, daily/weekly/monthly (as I deem appropriate), for US coverage as opposed to carrying full State Farm coverage in the US year-round? Vehicles licensed in US only.

TT trying not to be insurance-poor!

Al G - 11-4-2006 at 09:36 AM

This is a subject covered very well here. Here is one link, Type Insurance in search on the top header and you will find what you want.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=20315#pid1795...

Bruce R Leech - 11-4-2006 at 10:19 AM

yes you can you can buy just one month to get your licence plates.

bajalou - 11-4-2006 at 11:03 AM

I've moved registration for my San Felipe only vehicles to South Dakota. No requirement to maintain insurance while not on US roads and no proof at registration - all by mail. AZ requires you to maintain ins at ALL times or they cancel your registration. I used to be there.

U2U me for more info. :saint:

[Edited on 11-4-2006 by bajalou]

elchinero - 11-6-2006 at 11:28 AM

Who do YOU buy limited-time insurance FOR the US?
Lewis and Lewis appears to be for IN Mexico ... ?

I, too, have AZ plates and HAVE to have liability in order to retain them but I see no reasong to carry full US coverage down here (I have full Mex coverage). I want jump to full coverage when we make an extended trip to the US.

Can this be "push button"?

(I pushed "U2U" and it went up to my original post. Doh ... )

LaTijereta - 11-6-2006 at 01:16 PM

Funny..
I just renewed my CA registration for the two vehicals we keep in Loreto.. They accepted the Lewis & Lewis insurance papers as proof of insurance, and isssued new tags for 2007:lol:
The vehicals are smog exempt, since they are garaged out of the country.
They have done this for the last 5 years I have had to renew the tags through Sacramento DMV.

elchinero - 11-6-2006 at 01:22 PM

so youi have the cars insured for driving in the US
Lewis and Lewis' FAQ says that they do NOT insure in the USA
is there a secret link that I missed

I want to be able to have my truck stolen AND totalled in Des Moines and be covered

LaTijereta - 11-6-2006 at 09:18 PM

Tony..

The Lewis and Lewis deal is only for CA registration..Those vehicals never come north, but need current tags.;D

US insurance would need to be purchased near the border in TJ or Mexicali