BajaNomad

Border Crossing at San Ysidro?

ezzy - 12-5-2006 at 02:28 AM

When I cross the border with my travel trailer, I understand that I have to get my tourist card, then go to a bank nearby to pay for it? Is there parking for a truck trailer at the border while I do this paperwork? Or where do I go. Is there a best time to cross to be speedy?
Thanks

Bob and Susan - 12-5-2006 at 06:29 AM

i pull in all the time with a trailer...

just go to the far right declare lane

lots of busses there too...

the bank is only 4 "windows" away it's right there.

normally the declare area is pretty clear...just go 10 minutes total and you're out

4baja - 12-5-2006 at 07:36 AM

as bob said pull to the far right(secondary) and tell them that your getting a tourist card. they will direct you to the parking. good luck.:coolup:

David K - 12-5-2006 at 08:16 AM

San Ysidro is the best place to cross into Mexico if you are getting a tourist card BECAUSE it has a 24/7 bank teller right there in the same complex as the immigration (INM) office.

Marinero - 12-5-2006 at 11:29 AM

Rumor has it that the day's shift begins at 6:00am. If you get there between 5 and 6 am, the inspectors are more interested in going home than spending a lot of time with inspections....rumor has it.

Hook - 12-5-2006 at 11:52 AM

If it's at all possible for you to go thru really early in the AM, like around 6am, you should have no problems. When it's busy, sometimes they dont want long rigs hanging around in the inspection area, especially if you are in the middle and outside inspection lanes. I find they grant me more leniency if I am in the inside lane closest to the actual windows because the buses never seem to use that lane.

If they tell you to keep moving, try and park just beyond the inspection area (still within sight of it) and leave room for other vehicles to get around you. That has worked for me, too.

Bob and Susan - 12-5-2006 at 12:31 PM

you have to get a tourist card but you don'r HAVE to pay until a week

aha baja - 12-6-2006 at 09:17 PM

Got ours just before baja 1000. Took 20 minutes tops.Super smooth even considering the official kept glancing over his shoulder watching "Sabido Gigante" on TV:tumble:

DavidT - 12-6-2006 at 09:41 PM

If you cross early in the morning you might have to wake up the bank teller. Just tap on the window even if you don't see anyone inside. And the immigration office might have the lights turned out so they can watch TV.

Capt. George - 12-7-2006 at 06:07 AM

between 5 & 6am stopped once in four years with numerous crossings.

gp