BajaNomad

Can we make it from Oceanside to Cabo in 2 1/2 days?

kameyer70 - 5-24-2007 at 03:22 PM

We will be driving from San Diego to Cabo in October 2007. On the way down, we want to make the best time possible. (Need to be in Cabo on Monday at 2pm to pick up family at the airport.) Below is our tentative schedule. Is it realistic?

I welcome feedback, suggestions and tips on the best places to eat, refuel, spend the night, etc.

Saturday 4am - Leave Oceanside
1st night - Guerro Negro
2nd night - Cidad Constitucion
Monday early afternoon - arrive in Cabo

Thanks!

Al G - 5-24-2007 at 03:34 PM

Sure, but I am glad I will not be on the highway with you. I really wish it was only your life your risking. Take another day and enjoy life. I am really trying to be nice.

Hook - 5-24-2007 at 03:43 PM

It could be done the way you describe. It wont be fun, but it's doable, even if you never top 70 mph.

Diver - 5-24-2007 at 03:45 PM

I would say that it could be done.
With 2 drivers at 10-12 hours driving a day.
The first day will be the tough one since you will be going through some Saturday traffic south of Ensenada. If you make slow time, you may need to stop at La Pinta in Catavinia the first night.
The next two legs are in more open country and should be no problem.
You might even make La Paz the second night from Guerrero Negro.
2 1/2 hours to the airport from La Paz; 5-6 hours from Cuidad.
Of course all of this assumes no gas shortages, no police, quick federale stops, no flats, etc..

Bring a cooler of food and drink and a cup to pee in so you won;t have to stop ! :lol:
Good luck !

BTW, I hope you are youger than middle age or you will be down for a two day recovery like I would be.

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Diver]

kameyer70 - 5-24-2007 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Sure, but I am glad I will not be on the highway with you. I really wish it was only your life your risking. Take another day and enjoy life. I am really trying to be nice.

So, 2 1/2 days is NOT realistic. OK I get it! Since this is our first time making the drive all the way to Cabo (we've never been past Mulege), I'm interested in hearing how others broke up the trip and suggestoins on how we might do it.

Thanks!

TMW - 5-24-2007 at 03:55 PM

No problem. 500 miles a day on hwy 1 is very doable without going too fast. Put in 14+ hours per day. Stop at regular intervals and walk around usually for your gas stops. The secert to staying alert on long drives is to not eat or eat very light and no alcohol. It helps to listen to the radio or CDs or chit chat with others along with you. Get a good nights sleep.

kameyer70 - 5-24-2007 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I would say that it could be done.
With 2 drivers at 10-12 hours driving a day.
The first day will be the tough one since you will be going through some Saturday traffic south of Ensenada. If you make slow time, you may need to stop at La Pinta in Catavinia the first night.
The next two legs are in more open country and should be no problem.
You might even make La Paz the second night from Guerrero Negro.
2 1/2 hours to the airport from La Paz; 5-6 hours from Cuidad.
Of course all of this assumes no gas shortages, no police, quick federale stops, no flats, etc..

Bring a cooler of food and drink and a cup to pee in so you won;t have to stop ! :lol:
Good luck !

BTW, I hope you are youger than middle age or you will be down for a two day recovery like I would be.

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Diver]

Yes, we have three drivers. Thanks for the pee-cup idea! I'm sure we'll use it.

AmoPescar - 5-24-2007 at 03:59 PM

Kameyer,

Should not be a problem. If you cross at 4-5am, you might even be able to make Santa Rosalia the first night and La Paz the second night, leaving you just a couple of easy hours the third day.

We drove from Lake Forest to the East Cape/Los Barriles and were there the 2nd day at 3pm. We didn't cross the border until about 8:30am.

Miguelamo :tumble: :spingrin:

fishbuck - 5-24-2007 at 04:02 PM

I made it from Loreto to San Quintin in 1 day. I'd say that's about the same as Oceanside to GN. It was a hard day.

Bajaboy - 5-24-2007 at 04:05 PM

Two + days is plenty of time to get to Cabo. Get an early start each day, drive safely, and you'll have no problems. See how you feel the first day...if you can make it to Santa Rosalia to overnight, even better. I've done that drive plenty of times in two days.

Have a great trip.

Zac

comitan - 5-24-2007 at 04:09 PM

Your original plan would be a relaxing trip for me:bounce::bounce:

kameyer70 - 5-24-2007 at 04:12 PM

I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm feeling much better about the trip. Thanks so much!

oxxo - 5-24-2007 at 04:43 PM

This is our schedule. We do not find it too taxing, I'm sure others will disagree.

We leave Palm Springs at 5am. We take along a large ice chest and pack pastries for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. We cross at Tecate about 8am. We only stop for gas once and that is in Ensenada or San Quintin. We arrive in GN about 530pm. Fill up with gas that night at GN! We stay at the Las Caracoles hotel for 450p per night and meet up with our Baja Nomad pal Serenita. Dinner is at either Malarrimo or Puerto Vieja. Next day we leave at 6am and stop for early lunch at Santa Rosalia. Stop for gas in Loreto. We arrive in La Paz about 4pm. Cabo is another 2.5 hours down the road and you could be there by 6:30 pm(go through Todos Santos, it is shorter).

Potty stops are as necessary - take your own t.p.

Now before anyone starts criticizing our speed.....Mrs. Oxxo does all the driving! She is a nervous passenger. She feels much more comfortable when she drives and she is very cautious. Sometimes she drives 70 (but no more) on the open stretches, but most of the time we average 55 or 60 mph. She obeys the posted speed limit in towns and pueblos. When you pass a slow moving vehicle, look in your rear view mirror first even if you have your turn signal on. Better very safe than sorry. There is a whole different protocol for using your turn signals down here. Turning your left turn blinker on to pass someone really means that you are giving permission for the car behind you to pass you!

We have satellite radio and it is beautiful scenery. We have done this trip 3 times this year and we can almost set our watch to the points of interest. This trip is easier to do in the summer when there is more daylight. It is much more difficult during the winter. October should be fine. Do not drive at night in Baja. Do not drive at night in Baja. Do not drive at night in Baja.

This is going to be a fun adventure for you!

Hook - 5-24-2007 at 04:53 PM

Stop to take a pee, for crying out loud. Peeing in the desert is part of the experience. My wife and I would rather hang it out along the road than deal with MOST mexican banos.

It'll cost you maybe 10-15 off the drive. We're animals.......mark your territory!

Friends dont let friends pee while driving...............

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Hook]

Phil C - 5-24-2007 at 04:54 PM

Don't forget to time your trip so that you pass Jesus Maria when Carmelita's is open! Don't forget to open your eyes and see Baja, IMHO OXXO has some good tips, and take time to smell the cactus!

kameyer70 - 5-24-2007 at 05:32 PM

We're definitely taking time to smell the cactus... on the return trip we're spending two weeks (our honeymoon). Just need to get down there quick to meet the family flying in for the wedding.

Thanks again for the fantastic tips! I wish we were leaving now! :biggrin:

Bob and Susan - 5-24-2007 at 05:35 PM

no sweat...

longlegsinlapaz - 5-24-2007 at 06:08 PM

Yes it's totally doable....I've driven LA to La Paz & San Diego to La Paz in 2 days of daylight driving only...alone...and I'm a girl!:lol::lol::lol: It can be slightly intimidating the first time you drive it, so take it easy & watch the other vehicles on the road...roads are narrower & not as well maintained as you're probably used to. I'm with Comitan...I wouldn't know what to DO with that extra half day!:lol: And I ALWAYS stop & take a bazillion pics at Catavina! Don't forget a camera!! And top off the gas every chance you get!

DianaT - 5-24-2007 at 06:20 PM

We are older and don't drive like the young folks. To us, your idea is just fine if you are driving to get somewhere and not wanting to sight see.

We live next to the border, and if we cross at 6 AM, Guerrero Negro is not a problem. You can do it.

However, I hope you have more time coming back to stop and enjoy Baja:yes:

Diane

oxxo - 5-24-2007 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HookPeeing in the desert is part of the experience. My wife and I would rather hang it out along the road than deal with MOST mexican banos.

Totally agree. It is a lifetime experience to be standing there alongside Hwy 1 with your valuables in your hand when the Cabo/Tijuana bus passes by and the passengers don't pay attention.

Doing this trip in two days should only be done out of necessity. The trip is even more enjoyable over two weeks or two months.

elgatoloco - 5-24-2007 at 09:00 PM

Did I mention that on our honeymoon we snorkled with whale sharks in La Paz? :smug:

Have a back up plan (like leave a day early) in case you run into a delay.

We were once stopped for half a day by 5 feet of standing water in a vado a few clicks north of Vizcaino. :o

Have a fabulous time!

Paulina - 5-24-2007 at 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Stop to take a pee, for crying out loud. Peeing in the desert is part of the experience. My wife and I would rather hang it out along the road than deal with MOST mexican banos.

It'll cost you maybe 10-15 off the drive. We're animals.......mark your territory!

Friends dont let friends pee while driving...............

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Hook]

Very good advice! We used to have the rule when we turned off of Hwy. 1 onto the road to Bahia de Los Angeles that you had to stop and pee in a pot hole. We knew that the day would come that we'd have them all filled up, and now look at the road! Smooth as smooth can be.

P<*)))><

For Elgatoloco...

Paulina - 5-24-2007 at 11:50 PM

elgatoloco - 5-25-2007 at 08:49 AM

Nice photo!! I will have to try and resize the shot I took.

P y C, we are here all weekend in 'Baja' La Jolla! Come on down and see the kids!! No border hassles! :dudette:

Paulina - 5-25-2007 at 09:42 AM

Elgatoloco,
Thank you for the invitation, but we are stuck up here in the fog. Old Buggy doesn't like to drive too far, I cross my fingers that she'll get us into Sloland and back. We need some new photos of your kiddos por favor!
Pompano,
I'm gonna put that on the list for this summer. Dern saw his first Whale Shark last year, and he's hooked, so maybe I can talk him into making the drive back down. From the sat phone last night I think he said he went into La Ribera for the best marlin tacos ever? It was a weird outerspace connection, so not sure where he found the tacos, but cream of cauliflour soup didn't sound good so the kitchen staff told the boys where to go get some real food.
Oh, and to keep on topic, Dern made it down to Leonaro in 2 days from Ensenada, so I guess if you were coming from Oceanside, that would be the extra 1/2 day.
Wishing I were there.
P<*)))><

easy street!

BFS - 5-25-2007 at 09:49 AM

As a reference I just drove down solo with the same schedule.
Left Fallbrook at 11:00 am, lost my starter in Rosarito (had a spare and I changed it in the Pemex off the toll road), slept the first night in El Rosario. Left the next morning at 7:00 am and was immediatelt pulled over by the police and harrassed for 3 hours. Finally paid up (100 pesos) and made it to Loreto that night. Next morning left by 6:00 am and arrived into Miguels cafe of chile relleno fame(Todos Santos) for an early lunch at 11:00 am.
So with 3 of you you are looking at an easy schedule I would say.
And definetely pee in the desert!

Aq

vacaenbaja - 5-25-2007 at 09:54 AM

It is very doable safely with two or more drivers. You have
to switch off drivers every two hours or so so that the driver
stays sharp. Baja driving is harder on the eyes and fatigues
you more than you realize. Sure you can drive five or eight hours straight, but the idea is to drive at your peak, not until
exhaustion. You can make G negro the first leg driving at an average of 50mpg as 12hours A@50mph gets you 600 miles
Stop there. Get and early start. The climbs over the mountains upto and through Santa Rosalia require care, as do the climb from Loreto to plains of Insurgentes and Constatutcion. I would stop at La Paz next unless you feel
tired befor that. It all really depends on how long you normally can drive before becoming tired. Cut that time in half
and switch off. That way your okay for the long run.

David K - 5-25-2007 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aqbluegreen
As a reference I just drove down solo with the same schedule.
Left Fallbrook at 11:00 am, lost my starter in Rosarito (had a spare and I changed it in the Pemex off the toll road), slept the first night in El Rosario. Left the next morning at 7:00 am and was immediatelt pulled over by the police and harrassed for 3 hours. Finally paid up (100 pesos) and made it to Loreto that night. Next morning left by 6:00 am and arrived into Miguels cafe of chile relleno fame(Todos Santos) for an early lunch at 11:00 am.
So with 3 of you you are looking at an easy schedule I would say.
And definetely pee in the desert!

Aq

Don't leave us hanging... was it local police or federales (hwy. patrol), where, why???

municipales

BFS - 5-25-2007 at 10:27 AM

David K,
I decided to skip coffee and get to Catavina for a cuppa and make some time. At the last tope leaving El Rosario there was a semi stopped but idling right on the road. So I did what anyone would do and passed him. 5 minutes laterI see the local or "municipales" police lights flashing in my rearview mirror. I guess I should of got that coffee after all! Anyways they said acording to the ley # blah blah blah I had driven into oncoming traffic, etc. I was peeed (having mised my java and now being delayed and having done nothing wrong)and offered him 4 pesos. That didnt go over very well. So we went to the station to "arreglarlo". They wanted $1200 usd!!! I laughed and said "necesito un cafe" and walked over to town and finally got my java!! Walked back to the police and they then said they were going to tow my car. I said no way in hell they were touching my car as it runs perfectly and they would damage my tranny if they towed it (its 4WD). So we sat there and argued back in forth. They left and said "no te muevas". They then radioed the station and told the secretary that the jefe said they would accept $120 usd so I could be on my way. I laughed again and speaking into the radio said the jefe doesnt work on sundays and that I would up my offer to 40 pesos. They said "imposible", and left me in the station. I finally told the secretary I would pay the outrageous sum of 100 pesos and they would not have to give me a receipt. If not I was going back to Ensenada to get a really big jefe involved. She radioed the two guys (who were probably just outside somewhere) and they accepted.
It was one of those days!

Aq

osoflojo - 5-30-2007 at 12:27 PM

kameyer70, all the advise above is very useful. Also keep in mind the amount of daylight you will have as you will be traveling right after the equinox. Dont try to beat the road especially after twilight. You will not win. Be safe and stop if you must and make up the time the next day. Once you are south of Mulege you are home free. Enjoy............

David K - 5-30-2007 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aqbluegreen
David K,
I decided to skip coffee and get to Catavina for a cuppa and make some time. At the last tope leaving El Rosario there was a semi stopped but idling right on the road. So I did what anyone would do and passed him. 5 minutes laterI see the local or "municipales" police lights flashing in my rearview mirror. I guess I should of got that coffee after all! Anyways they said acording to the ley # blah blah blah I had driven into oncoming traffic, etc. I was peeed (having mised my java and now being delayed and having done nothing wrong)and offered him 4 pesos. That didnt go over very well. So we went to the station to "arreglarlo". They wanted $1200 usd!!! I laughed and said "necesito un cafe" and walked over to town and finally got my java!! Walked back to the police and they then said they were going to tow my car. I said no way in hell they were touching my car as it runs perfectly and they would damage my tranny if they towed it (its 4WD). So we sat there and argued back in forth. They left and said "no te muevas". They then radioed the station and told the secretary that the jefe said they would accept $120 usd so I could be on my way. I laughed again and speaking into the radio said the jefe doesnt work on sundays and that I would up my offer to 40 pesos. They said "imposible", and left me in the station. I finally told the secretary I would pay the outrageous sum of 100 pesos and they would not have to give me a receipt. If not I was going back to Ensenada to get a really big jefe involved. She radioed the two guys (who were probably just outside somewhere) and they accepted.
It was one of those days!

Aq

If you have been reading Nomad for a year or more then you know that the #1 businessman is Antonio Muņoz, 'BajaCactus' on Nomad (owns the Pemex franchise there and the Baja Cactus Motel) and that he founded the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival in 2005 and also organized the second last year... Which means he and the people of El Rosario are going out of their way to make their town appealing to visitors.

The police (who I have met, too) are there to serve the town, and it certainly doesn't serve the town to have happen what you claim. So, look to see some action for the good of all Baja travelers!

[Edited on 5-30-2007 by David K]

CaboRon - 6-3-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
What he said. :o Ron

Bob H - 6-3-2007 at 11:31 AM

Personally, I would leave ONE day earlier. Why take the risk. Life is way too short.
Well, that's my opinion.
Bob H

Peloncito - 6-4-2007 at 11:57 PM

No problem. Remember, June 21st is the longest day of the year with plenty of daylight for driving. When necessary, I do Los Gatos (San Jose) CA to Ensenada the 1st day. Ensenada to Guerrero Negro Day 2. And the final G. Negro to Los Barriles. Everytime I drive that, I always ask myself why so fast? Unless you are seriously strapped for time, listen to the others, slow down and check out the beauty of Baja that will be passing by your windows @ 70 mph on a 2.5 day drive.

Mike

Gnome-ad - 6-5-2007 at 01:45 AM

I read some of this thread a few days ago, before I registered to be a Nomad and I wanted to say don't assume you can make it from G. Negro to Loreto on a fill up of gas as one Nomad said they do. I was traveling with my husband's cousin and thought I could do that and almost ran out of gas on the curvy road between Mulege and Loreto at dusk. Thankfully the military checkpoint soldiers took pity on the two crazy gringa's who rolled up to the checkpoint with the gas gage way below the red empty line.

We did make it from San Diego to Todos Santos in 2.5 days, but they were LONG days. Good luck!

David K - 6-5-2007 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnome-ad
I read some of this thread a few days ago, before I registered to be a Nomad and I wanted to say don't assume you can make it from G. Negro to Loreto on a fill up of gas as one Nomad said they do. I was traveling with my husband's cousin and thought I could do that and almost ran out of gas on the curvy road between Mulege and Loreto at dusk. Thankfully the military checkpoint soldiers took pity on the two crazy gringa's who rolled up to the checkpoint with the gas gage way below the red empty line.

We did make it from San Diego to Todos Santos in 2.5 days, but they were LONG days. Good luck!

Gas tanks are NOT all the same size in every car.. and even if they were, gas milages varies quite a bit from one vehicle to another! Always know the distance to the next gas station and know how far your tank will get you!:light:

My Tacoma holds 20 gallons and gets 16-19 MPG (city-highway)... If I assume to get 18 miles per gallon on Mex. 1, I can go 360 miles (18 mpg X 20 gallons in the tank).

Rule of thumb in central Baja: If you are at or below HALF a tank, don't pass up a chance to top off.

Hook - 6-5-2007 at 07:10 PM

Friggin ridiculous, ABG. While it may technically be illegal, I see locals doing it all the time in ER, right in front of the delegacion with the guys right out side.

We're just the fatted calf in our four-bys..........

I guess the lesson is pass on the right.

David K - 6-5-2007 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Friggin ridiculous, ABG. While it may technically be illegal, I see locals doing it all the time in ER, right in front of the delegacion with the guys right out side.

Before you jump on the El Rosario locals, let's get some verification. BajaCactus (Antonio) has told me he confronted the local government with the post... Local businessmen in El Rosario will not tolerate anything like what was described... If it happened than 'ABG' will likely get a formal apolgy and reimbursment... If it didn't than I hope ABG will fess up and not hurt any other small Baja towns prosperity with exaggerated stories.

mordida

BFS - 6-7-2007 at 10:50 AM

Hi there,
Um..... this kind of stuff happens all the time. Its annoying, frustrating, nerve wracking, but just part of the deal really. We all know this and learn to live with it.
And I think this thread is about driving times and distances anyways! I really hate to get into it with you guys, it seems more like something you do in person or on the phone.
"Investigating" this seems like quite a laugh (and will probably raise the mordida fees in the future to boot!), but if it helps this incident happened on the morning of April 28. I stayed the night of the 27th at Baja Cactus in the little corner room at the end of the parking lot. One good thing that came about this incident is that when the policias pulled me over I didnt have my US drivers licence with me (I had my international one and my chilean one). I had left it at the reception of the Baja Cactus!! So the policias actually enabled me to return to the reception and collect my licence.
It was worth it!!
Reimbursement?? Your joking right?
I hate to know whats going to happen to those poor guys.
Exaggerated stories? Hmmm lets see how about the time that a gun was pulled on me (as the police took off their badges) and everyone in the car was robbed point blank,...or the time..........

Aq

Skipjack Joe - 6-7-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Very good advice! We used to have the rule when we turned off of Hwy. 1 onto the road to Bahia de Los Angeles that you had to stop and pee in a pot hole. We knew that the day would come that we'd have them all filled up, and now look at the road! Smooth as smooth can be.

P<*)))><

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Who needs SCT?

Hook - 6-7-2007 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Before you jump on the El Rosario locals, let's get some verification. BajaCactus (Antonio) has told me he confronted the local government with the post... Local businessmen in El Rosario will not tolerate anything like what was described... If it happened than 'ABG' will likely get a formal apolgy and reimbursment... If it didn't than I hope ABG will fess up and not hurt any other small Baja towns prosperity with exaggerated stories.

I calls em as I sees em, David. And I have seen it happen just the way I described. THE LOCAL DRIVERS AND THE LOCAL DELEGACION ARE THE LOCALS I'M TALKING ABOUT.

I wouldn't think of questioning the veracity of someone's post without any means of verifying it..........although YOU seem to have no problem doing it.

But, do you really think the delegacion guys are going to come clean when asked? Highly doubtful.

I commend Antonio for bringing it up to them, though, for future sake.

David K - 6-7-2007 at 07:32 PM

Well... I know Mexicans well enough from my lifetime of travels in Mexico and working with them almost every day... and THEY are not all banditos, ready to rob the fat cat gringos as they drive through little towns... sorry.

Instead of just making a wild claim on a public message board for some satisfaction, I would rather go straight to the source in El Rosario for some explanation. Afterall, we have been traveling to and through El Rosario for years and this is the first extortion claim against local police I have heard of. Let's be fair, is all I am saying. IF the local police did this to ABG, then they should be punished!