BajaNomad

Whatever happened to ?

jrbaja - 2-15-2004 at 11:20 PM

Chris H., JZ, Mike H. ************** :lol:

************************ :lol:

[Edited on 02/15/04 by jrbaja]

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by BajaNomad]

elgatoloco - 2-15-2004 at 11:27 PM

JR, it's probably that your vast knowledge and incredible grasp of all that is Baja California has sent them running for cover with thier tails between thier legs to hide in shame that unlike you they do not have all the answer's to all life's problems.

He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good.

:P

Modesty

jrbaja - 2-16-2004 at 09:31 PM

I learn something new everyday about Baja, and the people that live here. Forgive me if I seem to scoff at people from another country that pretend to know of what they speak regarding Baja. From what I have seen, these furriners, are as usual trying to capitalize (being gringos) on the few vacations they have spent here.
I travel all over this peninsula, regularly. And I try to give valid advice when asked and don't pretend to be an expert on places I have maybe visited once or twice. And, because of the vast amount of inaccurate information being published by gringos regarding something they pretend to know about, I get a little disgusted and certainly know better than to believe what I read. Especially considering these so called experts give nothing back to the Mexicans besides candy!
And in my travels, I see many people from all over the world in all parts of Baja including the gringo enclaves like B.D.L.A., Gonzaga, "The East Cape", Todos Santos, Agua Verde, etc.. And I am not alone in my feelings and again I will state, if the huarache fits, wear it.
But, the gringos, you know who you are, are a bunch of obnoxious, self centered, disrespectful pieces of dung that have no regard for a foreign culture and country. And there are lot's of you. Yer basically internationally famous for it whether you want to admit it or not.
So, I point out some faults, and things that could be improved upon and I am now called anti-american, and the other doo that the brilliant minds on here come up with.
I have already been thanked for some of my ideas whether they upset a few whining gringos or not. Too bad.
As far as me thinking I am "all that", I have had to walk out of some fairly remote areas for assistance, had a hatchet made and almost removed my finger with it, spent hours building roads and getting unstuck, just replaced my transmission and rear leaf springs because of an off road incident, and continue to place myself in these pridicaments. I wouldn't exactly call myself the sharpest tool in the shed!
But I do love this country and the people that live here. And, the feeling seems to be mutual so again, get off your ridiculous pedestals and appreciate humanity whether they have money or not.
You might learn something interesting.:light:

Still around

JZ - 2-16-2004 at 10:00 PM

Just reading mostly. Have been down to San Carlos twice this year so far. Took the twins once.

Planning a trip in March/Apirl.

elgatoloco - 2-17-2004 at 11:11 PM

jrbaja

I always enjoy reading about your trips 'off the beaten path'.

I also enjoy seeing your photos of same.

I have followed your exploits from the start and it is obvious that you have a passion for the people of Baja, in that regard your are not alone.

I look forward to reading about your latest adventures.

I hope you will use ALL your energy to 'build up' that which you love as opposed to wasting energy 'tearing down' that which you loath.

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness."

bajalera - 2-18-2004 at 08:39 PM

JR, I'd be willing to bet that practically every regular visitor to this board is appreciative of the good stuff you do, agrees with your views of how Mexicans should be treated, and is impressed with your forays into places the rest of us seldom--or perhaps never--get to.

So you could really afford to lighten up a bit.

bajalera

Dave - 2-19-2004 at 02:58 PM

How about this:

People come into my deli, look at the menu and then ask of a particular item, is it good?

Answer: No it's horrible. We just put it on the menu so the other lousy stuff would seem to taste better by comparison.

Dave

Skeet/Loreto - 2-19-2004 at 03:45 PM

Dave.
What are your Hours an exact location coming from the North?
Thanks Skeet/Loreto

"In God We Trust"

Nikon - 2-19-2004 at 04:17 PM

Randy Mac, where the hell you been? Keep them coming, dude!

Dave - 2-19-2004 at 06:32 PM

two Newfies went into a club that was all covered in mirrors, after ordering a drink both sat down. just then they noticed that there were two others in the bar that looked just like 'em. they decided to approach the men, as one got up to walk over his buddy pulled him back down and said "skipper wait, the're comming over!

Dave - 2-19-2004 at 07:58 PM

A family moved from Newfoundland to Alberta. Johnnie started school at the new location, in grade 3.

One day the teacher asked individual students to count to 50. Many of them did very well, some getting as high as 37. But Johnnie did extremely well; he made it to 100 with only 3 mistakes. At home he told his Dad how well he had done. Dad told him, "That's because you are from Newfoundland, son".

Next day, in "language", the teacher asked students to recite the alphabet. Some made it to the letter "k" with only one mistake, but Johnnie outdid them again. He made it all the way through, missing only the letter "m". That evening he once again brought his Dad up to date and Dad explained to him, "That's because you are from Newfoundland.

Next day, after Physical Education, the boys were taking showers. Johnnie noted that, compared to the other boys in his grade, he seemed overly "well - endowed". This confused him. He told his Dad, that night, "Dad, they all have little tiny ones, but mine is ten times bigger than theirs. Is that because I'm from Newfoundland?"

"No, son," explained Dad, "that's because you're 18!"

One more: The Great Canadian Tourist Clam-bake in the Baja...

RandyMacSC/SO - 2-19-2004 at 09:45 PM

I stayed for a few months at Playa El Requeson on the Bahia Concepsion Bay a year ago and met many wonderful people. One day a young Canadian couple parked in the small palapa next to my motorhome, delightfully named the 'Baja Chihuahua'.

As I was getting some firewood ready for the nightly beachside blaze, the young Canadian lady asked: "What are all the people doing in the bay. Are they bobbing for some kind of seafood?"

I replied: "Yeh! They're looking for bay scallops and clams, but this is not the best place to find any."

She replied: "Where is the best place to find them?"

I replied: "Two bays south at Playa Armenta. I plan to go there in a half hour to get some clams for spaghetti dinner, if you both want to come."

She replied: "I'll get my husband and we'll come with you. We've never dug any clams or seafood before."

I took the young couple from Camrose Alberta Canada over to Playa Armenta, and showed them where and how to dig clams. They had never had any clams before and were like two kids in a candy store. Within a half-hour they had enough clams for their meal that night.

On the drive back to Playa El Requeson, the young couple asked me: "How do you cook the clams, RandyMac.?"

I was a little taken back, and then the little devil on my shoulder said don't waste this opportunity dude.

As we drove into Playa El Requeson I asked the couple: "Did you bring any clothes line and any clothes pegs with you?"

The young couple replied: "No we didn't expect we would need them."

I looked up towards the sun and said: "We'll, it's getting late in the day but I think you'll have enough time left to cook them in the late afternoon sun. I give you my clothes pegs and clothes line to use."

When we got to camp, I went into my palapa beside my motorhome, grabbed the spare bag of clothes pegs and extra length of clothes line that I had, and handed it to the young couple.

They didn't even flinch or ask.

I then went into my motorhome, 'cause I was about to spill my guts with laughter, and I didn't want to be there when they started hanging the clams on the clothes line with the clothes pegs.

I started boiling the water for spaghetti and my clams, and got a cold beer out of the fridge, then I finally came outside about ten minutes later to check the progress. Low and behold, the young couple were struggling to get more of the clams hooked up on the clothesline that they had hung between the two palapas.

Finally they asked me: "So how long do these clams take to cook in the late afternoon sun, RandyMac.?"

I about peed myself laughing and finally had to tell them the truth. A good laugh was had by all. I then invited them for spaghetti dinner and told them how to purge and keep their clams fresh until the next day. Being good sports they brought over a bottle of tequila to dinner and the fire that night, and we all had a good laugh at all practical jokes we had played on people, or had played on us in our lifetime. Was I ever happy they were good sports about the Great Canadian Clothesline Clam-bake in the Baja.

One day I am gonna get what I probably deserve for all the practical jokes I have played on people.

RandyMac

[Edited on 2-20-2004 by RandyMac]

Skeet/Loreto - 2-20-2004 at 06:24 AM

Great Story Randy Mac!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God We Trust"

Deli, for Skeet

Dave - 2-20-2004 at 10:52 AM

Our restaurant is located at km 44.1 on the free road from TJ to Ensenada, which is about 200 yds south of the main entrance to the Puerto Nuevo lobster village. Next door to the south of us is an internet cafe "Clickon.com" and directly south of it is the entrance to the "Grand Baja Resort" hotel. You can exit the toll road at the Puerto Nuevo exit and head south or the Cantamar exit and head north. We are approximately equidistant from either exit.

Our hours (soon to be expanded) are 9-4 Thursday thru Monday, closed Tuesday and Wednesday.

We are currently closed for spring-cleaning and vacation. We will reopen on March 4th.

Our telephone number (from the States) is 011-52-661-614-1815 or we can be reached on the Internet at Nuevayork@starband.com

the baja chihuahua - 4-20-2004 at 04:31 PM

That is darn funny MR. Maccallum! I gotta try that one myself:)

Scoffing

FrankO - 4-20-2004 at 05:39 PM

JR, so are you scoffing at the 3 folks you mentioned? Just curious.

Hey Toad Dog... how's it going eh?

RandyMacSC/SO - 4-20-2004 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by the baja chihuahua
That is darn funny MR. Maccallum! I gotta try that one myself:)

I found good fun humour and a few practical jokes made every day more pleasant. It's te Canadian way I guess. I'm sure you have a few yourself little yellow hammer?

RandyMac

Canadians and Rattlesnakes

Skeet/Loreto - 4-22-2004 at 05:26 AM

Finally this Board has gone positive!!

On a bright and sunny day at Rancho Sonrisa,relaxing on the Porch after the previous Day's fishing,there arrived at the Gate a young couple inquiring about the "Osprey" hunting along the Beach with a long repitile dangling from it's Beak!
The couple where very friendly and happy as they ask'Where does that Osprey Live?"it was apparent they were from the "North"!
We proceeded to the wilds where I pointed our the various Bird Life around the "Penthouse" North of Loreto.
As we approached a cluster of Debris we were warned of an existing Rattlesnakke. The couple exclaimed"We have never seen a Rattler!!Therefore the Rattler was caught and given to the young couple.I still have the Picture of the Canadian couple proudly holding a fair size diamond-Back Rattler of 12 Rattles.

As a result of our Adventures, I received a letter and a Photo of a Small type Falcon that they had made Friends with in their Large,multi-storied office building in Toronto.

Moral of this Story

"It don't make no Nevermind" just be friends!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

P.S. The Rattler was skinned, the meat smoked, the skin tanned ,meat was consummed with a couple of Cold Carte Blanc's!
the tanned skin{done with Skin so Soft by Avon}hangs on my office Wall,not as a Trophy, but as a reminder of 2 very nice people from Canada.

JR

Baja Bernie - 4-22-2004 at 09:02 PM

JR posted this at the tag end of his post AND IT SAYS IT ALL FOR ME.
"But I do love this country and the people that live here. And, the feeling seems to be mutual so again, get off your ridiculous pedestals and appreciate humanity whether they have money or not.
You might learn something interesting."
SOME ARE ALWAYS ASKING YOU TO LIGHTEN UP! But let me say that I believe that men and women of passion are somehow unable to'lighten up'. They just care to much and see far to much.
Stay as you are my friend! Back in '03 you contacted me regarding some secret and mysterious things. Have you resolved that issue?

Mr Swaim

Herb - 4-22-2004 at 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
But let me say that I believe that men and women of passion are somehow unable to'lighten up'. They just care to much and see far to much.

If I may sound a little like Yoda...

Much wisdom, in your posts, I see.;)

Canadians, Rattlesnakes. BC's Sonora Desert

RandyMacSC/SO - 4-23-2004 at 02:53 AM

Skeet,

Good story about those rattlesnake fearing Canucks.

Thought I would mention this to you. Canada's South Okanagan Valley near Osoyoos/Oliver British Columbia is a desert, otherwise known as the Pocket Desert, a continuation of the Sonoran Desert that extends from Mexico to the Okanagan Valley. The plants and animals in the area are the same as those found in the higher elevations of the Mexican portion of the Sonora desert, such as sagebrush, greasewood, rabbit and antelope bush, and bunch grass and animals such as spotted are yellow-bellied marmots, pygmy horned toads, painted turtles, various lizards, white throated swifts, nighthawks and Calliope Hummingbird AND RATTLESNAKES.

It is now a site of a nation owl recovery program and home to over 100 rare plants and over 300 rare invertebrates. And to top it off we even have our very own Canadian cactus plants growing in the wild.

The area receives an average rainfall of less than 20 cm per year and plant growth is sparse, and the desert plants and animals of this area are found nowhere else in Canada.

I do believe there are a number of Osprey in the area also. Where I live in the West Kootenays which borders on the Boundary/South Okanagan area of BC Canada, we have some osprey because of the Columbia River. Once famous for salmon and the many osprey, but no longer because of all the dams on the Columbia south of the border, not to mention those above the border.

When I go to visit friends in the South Okanagan, I am always sure to be aware of the possibility of Rattlesnakes. The town of Grandforks in the Boundary area on the Can/USA border about 60 miles from my hometown has many rattlesnakes.

I guess that's why I was never really too concerned about rattlesnakes when I hiked in the Baja. I'm more concerned about bears than anything else when I hike around here. And from things I have read, northern Baja and northwestern Mexico had grizzly bears at one time. Imagine that. No more grizzly bears in that area. Or are there any?

RandyMac

[Edited on 4-23-2004 by RandyMac]

Skeet/Loreto - 4-23-2004 at 03:55 AM

Randy Mac:

On several fishing trips to Uculet on the West coast of Vancouver Island, I have been greeted by a small black Bear with usually 2 Cubs. At Tashais a little further North, it is common to see the same type Bear feeding along the forested Beach near the Esperanza Inlet. Fish,bird, and animal life is abundant in this Area as it is very remote and has few visitors.
The only way to get there is on a small Gravel road, then by boat to the Inlet.[not like Torfina, which to me is crowded]

Eagles will come very close and Take a Salmon off of a Fish Spear!! Awesome sight!
Beautiful country and very few people!

As to your Great rivers in the North; Why do you not let your goverment Sell Water to Mexicao[Baja]?

The water could be sent down the Colorado, thru the various Dams, then into The Sea Of Cortez!
You could charge for the Water,States United could charge for the Power produced!
The Water could be used to Produce food
for the World.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
And with a little forethought,Birds and animals could be protected along the Way!Rattlesnakes as well.

Herb

Baja Bernie - 4-23-2004 at 10:17 AM

Thank you very much.

These flashes normally hit me in the middle of the night when other chores call. I jot them down then in all of my passion I see clearly my path back to bed.

I love to see people grab vida and embrase it so tightly that it hurts! For hurt it does.

El que habla del camino es porque lo tiene andado.

The above could well be JR's signature.

No mister, just Baja Bernie

[Edited on 4-23-2004 by Baja Bernie]

[Edited on 4-23-2004 by Baja Bernie]

Columbia River Treaty and water to Mexico

RandyMacSC/SO - 4-23-2004 at 07:23 PM

Skeet,

Having lived on the Columbia River for 60% of my life I learned that it was a real anger spot for BC residents when our Premier back in the sixties sold us down the river in all is infinite wisdom.

It is a very complex subject and I often see it in the local paper from timne to time. I think that it was recently renewed in 2000, or 4 years ago. The former treaty with the USA expired in 1999.

It was signed by a BC Premiere otherwise known by names such as WACKY Bennett or W.A.C. Bennett back in the sixties.

I do believe it is much better managed on the second go around, but I have to say that I do not have sufficient data to comment any further as a knowledgeable source on the subject.

I do know that BC sells a vast amount of it's hydro electric power to the USA (mostly in the western states) and that regulations of the Columbia watersheds are very important to Canada, the USA and to Mexico.

I'd have to dig further and get back to you on this subject. My older brother knows more on this, and and a number of my friends work for BC Hydro and Aquila, the local power company. And one friend in particular always rants on about tis subject. Since I grew up hearing all the complaints about it in the 60's I ignored most of his rants. Perhaps I should have paid more attention, but my noodle is full enough.

I'll ask him to give me an update and see if the Mexico stuff is taken into acount. I personally tink it should be a right of anyone south of a river to have access to water.

And yes, Skeet. I have posted this message after I posted my last post on the subject of the Davinci Code today. I think you got my message in that regards, or at least I hope so.

RandyMac:spingrin:

Randy Mac.

Skeet/Loreto - 4-24-2004 at 12:52 PM

I was referring to the "Colorado river".
skeet/Loreto

"In God I trust"

RandyMacSC/SO - 4-25-2004 at 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
I was referring to the "Colorado river".
skeet/Loreto

"In God I trust"

Yes Skeet.
The Colarado River. I saw it on the ballot.

When Canada finally exercised their treaty rights of the year 625 and got control of the Colorado River from the new owners (USA of year 1625) Canada started charging $69. 25 an ounce for water going south to the USA. Since then we have made a killing and we are all multi millionaires in Canada, and pretty soon we are going to have another vote about NEW winter homes (CANADIAN YURTS) for every Canadian in the Baja.

You can't expect all us Canadians to live in the Virgin Islands do you?

It's on the menu for a summer referendum vote and is expected to pass with a 98% vote FOR and 2 obstaining. After we take over the Baja for the winter of 2004-05, we're all (us Canucks) planning to come back north again to grab the treaty rights to the Snake River, but along the way we plan to exercise our treaty rights to have the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders come back north with us (okay at least some of us) and then where hunkering down for another cold winter.

We're on a one IN and 2 OUT cycle. That Colorado River. Big Volume, big bucks.

RandyMac
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 4-25-2004 by RandyMac]

David K - 4-25-2004 at 10:29 AM

So hoser, when does the name get officially changed from Baja California to 'The Baja', eh?:spingrin::yes::spingrin::yes: