BajaNomad

Tire fix in a can for 35 inch off-road tires?

joel - 5-29-2007 at 11:03 PM

I've lifted my Suburban since our last trip to Baja and put on 35 inch Pro Comp tires. Since I can only carry one spare, I was thinking of some sort of back-up plan. Anyone ever try to use the spare-tire-in-a-can on large off-road tires?

Anyone have any idea of the chances of finding a replacement 35 inch 12.5 R17 should I really blow one out?

surfer jim - 5-30-2007 at 07:48 AM

I carry a can also but have never tried using it.....now if they make a ....spare-SHOCK-in-a-can.....now that I would use.....;)

Diver - 5-30-2007 at 09:26 AM

I would use 2 can for the bigger tire.
I have used it before in our Explorer and it worked fine.
Put the first can in and roll the tire so the leak is down.
Add another can or more air after about 10 minutes.

Tires guys hate the stuff becasue they have to clean it out to repair the tire.

Why not carry a tire repair kit and a pump ??
My last double flat, we ended up putting a lag screw in the hole and driving to town after 20 minutes with a hand pump and 35 psi holding.

joel - 5-30-2007 at 09:33 AM

I hate changing/repairing the tires on my bike, much less a car. I assume it's got to be fairly difficult to do even at home, much less in the middle of nowhere.

I'm glad to hear someone has used the two cans technique and it worked.

I made the mistake a while ago of going down with thin-treaded tires and won't do that again. I figure with new, heavy-duty off road tires my chances are slim of two flats....

Then again, it is Baja!

ursidae69 - 5-30-2007 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
I've lifted my Suburban since our last trip to Baja and put on 35 inch Pro Comp tires. Since I can only carry one spare, I was thinking of some sort of back-up plan. Anyone ever try to use the spare-tire-in-a-can on large off-road tires?

Anyone have any idea of the chances of finding a replacement 35 inch 12.5 R17 should I really blow one out?

I suggest that you carry the Safety Seal Plug Kit for trucks. Then you need to carry air, either a good compressor or CO2.

Cypress - 5-30-2007 at 02:25 PM

Those tire-repair-in-a-can kits aren't designed for side wall rips.:spingrin:

DENNIS - 5-30-2007 at 02:28 PM

Will a tube work for a reasonably small sidewall rip?

Cypress - 5-30-2007 at 02:49 PM

DENNIS, No you need the industrial strength version that comes in 55 gallon drums?:spingrin:

David K - 5-30-2007 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
Quote:

I suggest that you carry the Safety Seal Plug Kit for trucks. Then you need to carry air, either a good compressor or CO2.

Looks good... I think that is the ticket, along with a good 12v air compressor!

DENNIS - 5-30-2007 at 03:29 PM

Cypress..........

I meant inner-tube..............not fix-a-flat.

joel - 5-30-2007 at 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the info.

Crusoe - 5-30-2007 at 04:40 PM

Safwty Seal Plug Kit..........Absolutely.....ONLY WAY TO GO !!!!! ++C++:spingrin:

Gadget - 5-30-2007 at 09:39 PM

Sooooo, ya gonna pull that low profile 35 off the wheel and put a tube in on the trail :?: A plug kit is the only way to go for small punctures / pin holes and every Baja off roader worth his dusty boogers should have one in the ditty box. But for that golf ball sized hole or a side wall slash, it's done baby, time for the spare. And then...if it's your only one ya better slow way down. If your like me and ya got 2 then haul hiney to the nearest Llanteria and get the offending flat on one side donut fixed. You know they still do heat press patches in Mex. Had one done in San Felipe last year for $15. Was a hole I could stick my thumb through at the side bitters :fire:. Oh, don't forget your Discount tire road hazard warranty so you can get a new, non-squished rolly thing.

joel - 5-30-2007 at 09:46 PM

I got three flats on my last trip, but fortunately had each of them fixed before the next one.... I only carry one spare.

Edguero - 5-31-2007 at 06:48 AM

Slime them all!
I have done this to my last 3 sets of tires (Pirelli's & BFG's) and haven't had a flat since, I still carry 2 spares, plugs and air compresser, I don't know if I have been lucky or if it really works.
I also use it in the ATV's that I leave down there with the same results.
They sell it at Harbor Freight by the gallon.

joel - 5-31-2007 at 07:06 AM

Slime? Can you explain?

Frank - 5-31-2007 at 07:06 AM

You will be out of luck with a sidewall tear or a big hole. Go get a used tire from a used tire shop {$25} and keep 2 spares, even if its not on a rim.

bajalou - 5-31-2007 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
You know they still do heat press patches in Mex. Had one done in San Felipe last year for $15. Was a hole I could stick my thumb through at the side bitters

Had one vulcanized like that also (in San Felipe) could stick my finger thru it right by the bead. Can't tell it ever had a hole except the rubber's smooth. no lettering. Great tire repair here.

David K - 5-31-2007 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Slime? Can you explain?

It's a green goo you squirt into the tire that seals future holes... m/c riders use it a lot.

bajalou - 5-31-2007 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Slime? Can you explain?

It's a green goo you squirt into the tire that seals future holes... m/c riders use it a lot.

Score has endorsed it for racers (for whatever that's worth). Walmart also carries it along with a competing similar product (yellow, not green) with a slightly lower price.

bajacrawler - 5-31-2007 at 09:17 PM

Lou, What place do you use in San Felipe for hot patches? I just got a buggy that has a hole in the left rear tire. The previous owner put a plug in it, but it is still leaking. I took it to a tire shop in California my mistake. The tire has slime on the inside. The tire guy wiped the inside by the hole and then tried a patch. He said it did not stick because of the slime. I put another plug in it but it still leaks a little bit. Will the hot patches they use in San Felipe hold in a tire that has had slime in it? I will be down to San felipe next week around Wednesday or Thursday. We stay at Villa Marina 12 miles south of town. I think I would like to try the hot patch thing. Thanks for any help you can give me. Jack

bajalou - 5-31-2007 at 09:23 PM

Jack, don't know if the vulcanizing will work when it's had Slime it it or not. The guy I've used for years is on the first street east of Mar Caribe (airport road) in the block just south of Chetamul Turn right between old Pemex on the circle and Ramirez Auto Partes - half way down the block on the right. Great guy. He's fixed stuff for me that I thought would never work. I'm in El Dorado, but give me a call and maybe share a taco or something.

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by bajalou]

Put the slime in the Coconut.....

Bedman - 6-1-2007 at 12:37 AM

and Mix it All up!!

On the way to Gonzaga. Pauline has a flat....
We put the Slime in the Coconut and Mix it All Up:lol:

Dang pic size..edit

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by Bedman]

DSC00007a copy.jpg - 32kB

And then......

Bedman - 6-1-2007 at 12:46 AM

We put in the second can.

Note to self:
You can Not fix holes in tires when they are BIG enough to put your fist in :no:

DSC00008a copy.jpg - 31kB

Bedman - 6-1-2007 at 12:47 AM

Oh..... that and you should always Follow the guy thats GRADING the road:lol:

Bedman

mxmikie - 8-1-2007 at 01:27 PM

i carry plugs and a tube along with a 20lb bottle of co2 and an impact wrench

[Edited on 8-1-2007 by mxmikie]