BajaNomad

Need a job

pascuale - 12-9-2007 at 05:37 PM

I frequent this board and have for a while. I know this doesnt have anything to to with baja but im looking for any good job ideas for a 25 year old who loves baja, fishing, and the outdoors. I have a business degree from Point Loma Nazarene and worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car. I think some of you guys/gals might have some good ideas. Thanks
Ethan

BajaGeoff - 12-9-2007 at 07:37 PM

How about working for a private fishing charter boat? You would get to be outdoors, off the Baja coast, and obviously.....getting the opportunity to do some fishing. Check the link below!

http://www.hmlanding.com/private.htm

pascuale - 12-9-2007 at 10:47 PM

Already do in the summer on the Dolphin II. Great idea though. Too bad its mostly a summer time thing. I need a career though now. thanks

bajaguy - 12-9-2007 at 10:56 PM

Check it out:

http://dps.nv.gov/personnel/index.shtml

DPS badge.jpg - 19kB

pascuale - 12-9-2007 at 11:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks cool!

pascuale - 12-9-2007 at 11:34 PM

im also applying for the BP as well. long process but got a 92 on my test, so thats a start. Its always good to get new ideas.

vandy - 12-10-2007 at 05:13 AM

Y'know, Ethan, if you really love "fishing, Baja and the outdoors", you could do what I did (and continue doing).

When I was a few years younger than you, I decided that retirement is wasted on the old, and started taking mine in chunks. I first moved to Vermont, and then Colorado, living right next to ski areas nd working construction to pay for my winters off skiing.

Then I went to Baja in 1985 at the age of 25 and fell in love with the place.

Since then, I have been working maybe three months per year, dispensing with such costly encumbrances as kids, property, renting, car payments and US health care.

I found that I can spend time doing what I love in the US, Canada and Mexico for most of the year while working less and less.

For example, once I pay for car maintenance (not very much on a 94 Prizm), camping gear, fishing license, Mexican insurance and gas to get there, Mexico ends up costing me about $15-$20 per week for six or seven months; figure $2000 per winter to cover the "extras" that always pop up.

The "extras" in my case: a house for $150/month plus some labor; dental work; prescriptions; beermaking supplies; a mordida or two; satellite radio.

As you can see, I decided long ago that a couple of weeks per year vacation doesn't cut it with me; nor does working steady for lots of toys and retirement when I'm older.

Of course, there's the downside in that I'll still be working a few months per year when I'm 90

:P

vandenberg - 12-10-2007 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Of course, there's the downside in that I'll still be working a few months per year when I'm 90

In those "later" years your productivity will have declined to a level that you have to work 50 weeks a year to be able to take a 2 week vacation :(:(:biggrin::biggrin:

My new hero ! ! !

djh - 12-10-2007 at 08:17 AM

I'll bet I'm not the only working stiff thinkig Vandy is my new idol ! !:)

HOWEVER....

djh - 12-10-2007 at 08:19 AM

I really have few complaints....

A good portion of my "work" is playing my cello and conducting orchestras all over the world ! Talk about a great way to travel :-).

djh

BTW

djh - 12-10-2007 at 08:21 AM

BTW Vandy,

check your U2U

jimgrms - 12-10-2007 at 08:50 AM

Vandy what is going to happen when you are 60 or so and to sick or disabled to work, or can't get hired cause your old don't think 3 or 400 in ss will cut it
Pascuale check out the navy its not a job its a adventure

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by jimgrms]

DENNIS - 12-10-2007 at 08:59 AM

Have you considered welfare? Evidently a lot of Americans survive comfortably on taxpayer generosity. If they didn't, and had to work, we wouldn't be worrying ourselves about a stupid fence.

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by DENNIS]

Minnow - 12-10-2007 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Have you considered welfare? Evidently a lot of Americans survive comfortably on taxpayer generosity. If they didn't, and had to work, we wouldn't be worrying ourselves about a stupid fence.

That is so true Dennis. When New Orleans flooded they reported that the city as a whole had 80% unemployment. What would compel people to stick around a place that that cannot get work? The answer is entitlements. Do away with those and we could actually speak English when we order our Big Macs. Until the government quits paying people to have babies the immigration problem isn't going anywhere. Remember, people on the government dole vote for whoever promises to give them the biggest raise.

As far as work. Do something you love and the money will be secondary. Their are fishing boats that work the winter, but it is not as much fun.

rob - 12-10-2007 at 10:23 AM

Pascale - how about selling real estate? That's a really transferrable skill, and several people I know down here are making a darn good living.

The down side is that it must be rather quiet in the States about now.

vandenberg - 12-10-2007 at 10:28 AM

You guys sure are a cynical lot :(:(:biggrin::biggrin:

castaway$ - 12-10-2007 at 11:10 AM

Think hard about jumping into selling Real Estate in a foreign country, you had better know what you are doing or you could get in way over your head very quickly, it's bad enough in the states. I'm not rying to be negative but I am a broker in the states and I know several that conduct business in foreign countries it can be very lucrative but it is best to have experience in the business before jumping in. Get your brokers license in the states to gain experience and at the same time educate yourself to how RE works in other countires.

DrTom - 12-10-2007 at 11:12 AM

hmm rentals and a biz degree......real estate.

Minnow - 12-10-2007 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Think hard about jumping into selling Real Estate in a foreign country, you had better know what you are doing or you could get in way over your head very quickly, it's bad enough in the states. I'm not rying to be negative but I am a broker in the states and I know several that conduct business in foreign countries it can be very lucrative but it is best to have experience in the business before jumping in. Get your brokers license in the states to gain experience and at the same time educate yourself to how RE works in other countires.

How long you been a broker in Gold Hill Oregon? :lol:

toneart - 12-10-2007 at 12:31 PM

You guys who are cynically suggesting welfare, your biases and ignorance are inappropriate in this string (or anywhere, really).

The guy is asking for work not welfare! He is young, earnest and possibly a little naive, like we all were once. Come on....cut him some slack. Better yet, offer him a job.

pascuale - 12-10-2007 at 01:37 PM

Thanks guys for all the advise. I like all the different perspectives actually. No opinion is unhelpful. Don Jorge, I like your idea alot. How do you put an idea like that into action?

Oh, and I dont ever plan on using wellfare or SS because there wont be any SS when im 65.

I remember JR had his bamboo farm and I thoguht that was a cool idea as well.

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by pascuale]

DENNIS - 12-10-2007 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Come on....cut him some slack. Better yet, offer him a job.

OK...I will. Just as soon as I need a Nazarene with a business degree and car rental experience. After all, this is the time of year for Nazarenes, is it not? I can see him now, standing by the off-ramp with a sign saying, Pascuale Of Nazereth. Will Work For Food. No Loaves Or Fish Accepted.

Just havin' fun with you Ethan. I hope you realize that. Keep asking here for what you're looking for and it will eventually come up. Good luck.

pascuale - 12-10-2007 at 02:32 PM

Just curious, but what do you do Dennis? I didnt ask for a job from anyone first off. Im not Nazarene, I just went to school there. Guaranteed Ive been more places on Earth than you. Im sure I have more friends around the world. I know Ive caught more fish than you. And im not an old grumpy fart who ***** up peoples posts.

But Im just kiddin around with you and hope that you find your way to the old people home soon. Good luck.

Quote:
Quote:

OK...I will. Just as soon as I need a Nazarene with a business degree and car rental experience. After all, this is the time of year for Nazarenes, is it not? I can see him now, standing by the off-ramp with a sign saying, Pascuale Of Nazereth. Will Work For Food. No Loaves Or Fish Accepted.

Just havin' fun with you Ethan. I hope you realize that. Keep asking here for what you're looking for and it will eventually come up. Good luck.

:lol::lol:

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by Hose A]

mtgoat666 - 12-10-2007 at 02:32 PM

SDGE is hiring linemen. Union, high pay. Job security. Chance to work outdoors. Good place to work.

observant

gibson - 12-10-2007 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pascuale
Just curious, but what do you do Dennis?
Quote:
Originally :

ciao ... think of this site as a virtual 'old-folks' home and you'd be not far wrong.
Occasionally you'll be able to glean some handy baja info, but you're on the right track. All the best

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-10-2007 at 03:14 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

toneart - 12-10-2007 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Dennis,
I just learned on the "Hijack" thread that Jeezus is dead. :wow:

Cypress - 12-10-2007 at 03:53 PM

The Border Patrol! Good pay! Benefits! And you get to drive all over the boonies on the clock in a company rig. :D:

El Jefe - 12-10-2007 at 03:54 PM

Pasucuale, what about becoming a firefighter. Great outdoor work and sometimes really hot indoor work too! You will have to go back to school, but the JC classes you will need and the fire academy work will be easier with your previous education under your belt. That's what I did. I got my Econ degree at Cal and decided to go in another direction. Glad I made the choice I did. And your BA comes in handy when you want to promote.
It was a great run at the City and I got a lot of enjoyment helping people in their hours of need. They are really glad to see you coming. You earn a decent wage and the retirement system is wonderful. Oh, and the work schedule allows for lots of time off and associated trips to Baja.
Here I am 55 years young and already retired in Baja almost three years. You can't beat that.
I'm proud of what I did and it was fun. I highly recommend it. Good luck.

DENNIS - 12-10-2007 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Just curious, but what do you do Dennis? I didnt ask for a job from anyone first off
Yes, you did. You came here for a response to your request for a job.

I Second EL JEFE

Sonora Wind - 12-10-2007 at 04:44 PM

The Fire Service can provide good pay, good benifits, and lots of time off. I spent 37 years with NLVFD. Worked about 80 to 90 24 hour shifts a year. Several years I spent more days than that fishing, hunting, and relaxing in Kino Bay. Heard once a Firefighter Paramedic was the most respected career in this country. Good luck.:cool:

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by Sonora Wind]

Education is the key

Sonora Wind - 12-10-2007 at 05:00 PM

Several years ago I set up our recruitment testing. We stopped accepting applcations at 6000. We rented a convention hall and tested 2000 every two hours. No one with less than 96% got a opportunity to take the physical agility test. We only hired 4. Three were experienced Firefighters from other Departments. Comptition is very tought for these high paying, highly skilled jobs. BUT IT'S WORTH IT:yes::yes::yes::cool:

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by Sonora Wind]

Minnow - 12-10-2007 at 05:13 PM

Sonora and the other FF's speak the truth. The pay in Las Vegas for FF's is great, the benefits are great, the respect for your job is off the chart.

mtgoat666 - 12-10-2007 at 05:19 PM

marry a rich chick, and you won't have to be a fire fighter for 20 years before going on the dole.

Being a FF for 20years is not something you have to

Sonora Wind - 12-10-2007 at 05:46 PM

If your very very lucky ( IT'S SOMETHING YOU GET TO DO ) Uncle Sam would love to get his hands on well funded well invested PERS retirement accounts in this country.:cool:

mexicoman6969 - 12-10-2007 at 06:35 PM

I bought my TimeShare in Cabo from youg a fellow in his twenties. He did alright. Believe thery make 10% of the seeling pirce. Had a nice Senorita girlfriend who lived with him. She worked as a waitress in Cabo. Just an idea.

Sonora Wind - 12-10-2007 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoman6969
I bought my TimeShare in Cabo from youg a fellow in his twenties. He did alright. Believe thery make 10% of the seeling pirce. Had a nice Senorita girlfriend who lived with him. She worked as a waitress in Cabo. Just an idea.
I have a friend in Vegas and his lady friend sells TS in Vegas. She does 6 figures +. Good Idea;D:yes::smug::cool:

what?

gibson - 12-10-2007 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just curious, but what do you do Dennis? I didnt ask for a job from anyone first off
Yes, you did. You came here for a response to your request for a job.

"job ideas" sir. He asked for job ideas! go get some fresh air.

DENNIS - 12-10-2007 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibson
sir

Good boy. Never forget to respect your elders.

pascuale - 12-10-2007 at 10:57 PM

FF, Time share, Dennis's handyman?

Keep em comin. I like the sound of time share sales alot. Im pretty good at finding common ground with most people and can talk to anyone for a while. I think id be good at sales. I couldnt live away from the beach because im a fishing fanatic.

vandy - 12-11-2007 at 04:54 AM

Poor guy...you all have led him down the primrose path.

Time shares? Hell, if you have the inclination to sell timeshares, I have a nice deposit you can stick somewhere. Rather be a used car salesman, who doesn't actually chase people down to rip them off. If you just want money and have no conscience, rob a bank.

Firefighter? I guess if you can land a cushy city deal.
I had to quit Forest Service firefighting because they put the people with seniority in charge, no matter how incompetent they were. Cost many lives a few years later.

Have you thought about professional beggar? Some movie-makeup gel and a wheelchair take minimal investment, make you look pitiful, and it pays well in places like Vegas or Laughlin.

Far more dignified than timeshare!:barf::barf::barf:

Minnow - 12-11-2007 at 05:23 PM

Pascuale, The best way to get a Head in Mexico, is to marry a Mexican Gal.:lol:

DENNIS - 12-11-2007 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Pascuale, The best way to get a Head in Mexico, is to marry a Mexican Gal.:lol:

Tom....You had better hope she doesn't read this. It's too cold to sleep outside.

pappy - 12-11-2007 at 06:35 PM

since you have rental car experience, have you looked in to managing/owning one somewhere in mexico or other south american countries that provide the outdoor things you like to do? at least it would "get you in the door" and hell, ya might even meet and marry a beautiful local gal, then take it from there!:tumble:

pascuale - 12-11-2007 at 06:54 PM

I like it Pappy and Minnow

vandenberg - 12-11-2007 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Pascuale, The best way to get ahead in Mexico, is to marry a Mexican Gal.:lol:

And while you're at it, may as well make it a rich one :biggrin:

Bajafun777 - 12-11-2007 at 11:27 PM

Naw, try the Caretaker Gazette for places to work or go and stay in their houses, condos, eco-lodges etc. for room and board and some with pay. You have to pay a small fee to become a member but lots of referrals in many different places in all countries. Instead of being a baja nomad you could become a world nomad. Have people in Mexico and Costa Rica just wanting someone to watch the place while the owners away---ah could be the easy life, si y no???? Later---------------- bajafun777

pascuale - 12-12-2007 at 05:43 PM

Ok so I should start a business in Baja, marry a mexican mamacita to help me consume many taco and have many little amigos, then uncle dennis, minnow, and the rest of you can come over, help me fix up my boat, drink pacificos on my deck and fish all day. Oh and I cant forget David K:lol::lol::lol:

I think I was born in the wrong era. Theres nothin better than cruisin down highway one listening to crosby stills and nash, the eagles, jimmy buffet, and Cat Stevens, waiting to reach the dirt road at Gonzaga to crack a cold Pacifico. Ahhhh!

[Edited on 12-13-2007 by pascuale]

motoged - 12-12-2007 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
I think I was born in the wrong era. Theres nothin better than cruisin down highway one listening to crosby stills and nash, the eagles, jimmy buffet, and Cat Stevens, waiting to reach the dirt road at Gonzaga to crack a cold Pacifico. Ahhhh!

Pasquale,
So what's stopping you from doing that now??? That is a timeless range of activities.....

Be careful with your Cat Stevens 8-track, Homeland Security might ID you as an Al Queda:lol::lol::lol:

Spark one up and hit the road :biggrin:

DENNIS - 12-12-2007 at 06:11 PM

Quote:

Right on, Pascuale. You are Baja to the bone.

Man!!!! for a nubie/ layed out

Sonora Wind - 12-12-2007 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Ok so I should start a business in Baja, marry a mexican mamacita to help me consume many taco and have many little amigos, then uncle dennis, minnow, and the rest of you can come over, help me fix up my boat, drink pacificos on my deck and fish all day. Oh and I cant forget David K:lol::lol::lol:

I think I was born in the wrong era. Theres nothin better than cruisin down highway one listening to crosby stills and nash, the eagles, jimmy buffet, and Cat Stevens, waiting to reach the dirt road at Gonzaga to crack a cold Pacifico. Ahhhh! For a nubie you got it all layed out.:cool:

[Edited on 12-13-2007 by Sonora Wind]