BajaNomad

Coco

thebajarunner - 2-21-2008 at 10:26 AM

Coco dropped by the Catavina restaurant while we were having lunch last week, just popped his head in to greet the owners.
We got to exchange a few greetings.
He was cheerful, but the 'good' leg is really giving him trouble.
Sad, because he is such an upbeat guy.

David K - 2-21-2008 at 10:37 AM

Good to hear about him Dick, thanks!

TacoFeliz - 2-21-2008 at 10:44 AM

We were by Coco's Monday afternoon and had a good talk about friends and family. As we were headed out, he quietly mentioned to my wife that the 'good' leg was going on March 28, so he would be in the hospital for a while. When she asked where he was going to be and who would be helping him, he said after the hospital he would be coming back to his camp and it would be just him. As always with him, he said it like he would just get along business as usual.

He is a pretty independent guy, but some extra help from passing Nomads would be a great idea. I asked him if there was anything at all he needed, he could only think of some clothes for his grandson's birthday who is two or three. If you're passing his way, maybe give a thought to what you could drop by for the man. He would never ask for anything but he leads a pretty spartan life, and it's not going to be easy for him, particularly recovering from surgery.

"the leg"

thebajarunner - 2-21-2008 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TacoFeliz
We were by Coco's Monday afternoon and had a good talk about friends and family. As we were headed out, he quietly mentioned to my wife that the 'good' leg was going on March 28, so he would be in the hospital for a while. When she asked where he was going to be and who would be helping him, he said after the hospital he would be coming back to his camp and it would be just him. As always with him, he said it like he would just get along business as usual.

He is a pretty independent guy, but some extra help from passing Nomads would be a great idea. I asked him if there was anything at all he needed, he could only think of some clothes for his grandson's birthday who is two or three. If you're passing his way, maybe give a thought to what you could drop by for the man. He would never ask for anything but he leads a pretty spartan life, and it's not going to be easy for him, particularly recovering from surgery.

Well, he told us also about the leg, but I did not feel that it was appropriate to announce it.
So, now that you have brought it out,
yes, he is going to have it taken off.
Very sad.

Barry A. - 2-21-2008 at 12:14 PM

BajaRunner--------why do you feel that "it is not appropriate" to mention Coco's leg removal???

It seems highly appropriate to me-----how else would we know his situation???

barry

David K - 2-21-2008 at 12:15 PM

He told us over a year ago he wanted it removed, but couldn't get the doctors to do it.

Cypress - 2-21-2008 at 01:46 PM

Coco has to be one tuff son-of -a -gun.:yes:

thebajarunner - 2-21-2008 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
BajaRunner--------why do you feel that "it is not appropriate" to mention Coco's leg removal???

It seems highly appropriate to me-----how else would we know his situation???

barry

Well, that just seemed pretty personal to me and if he wanted it broadcast he could do it himself, or request same, which he did not.

Or perhaps my sensitivity gene just kicked in.....
(those who know me are now rolling on the floor over that line)

Coco and the Baja Boyz by Baja Vida

David K - 2-21-2008 at 06:33 PM

coco by vida-r.JPG - 48kB

Hook - 2-21-2008 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:

Well, he told us also about the leg, but I did not feel that it was appropriate to announce it.
Very sad.

Agreed, bajarunner. That's for the person involved to decide.

David, I recall a time when you threw a hissy fit over the posting of pics on another website w/o permission. Minors or not, do you ever consider asking permission before posting pics and revealing personal info about folks?

I am guessing not.

Still waiting for Baja Cactus to "return shortly" after all the personal info you posted about him.

I hope to God you never get any personal info about me..........

David had specific permission!!!!

thebajarunner - 2-21-2008 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:

Very sad.

Agreed, bajarunner. That's for the person involved to decide.

David, I recall a time when you threw a hissy fit over the posting of pics on another website w/o permission. Minors or not, do you ever consider asking permission before posting pics and revealing personal info about folks?

I am guessing not.

Still waiting for Baja Cactus to "return shortly" after all the personal info you posted about him.

I hope to God you never get any personal info about me..........

In fact, Baja Vida personally requested that he post this and I exchanged a number of messages with David over it.

Thanks David.
(Now if someone could teach us old farts how to reduce fotos we could do it ourselves)

boe4fun - 2-22-2008 at 10:17 AM

Nomads, We'll be heading down to La Paz in latter April for our Prosthetic/Orthotic clinic that we hold twice a year with the La Balandra Rotarians down there. It may be a bit too soon (postoperatively) to fit him with a prosthesis, but it would be a good idea to meet him and discuss post operative care. I'll be driving down with my colleague (also a retired Prosthetist-Orthotist) and a PM&R Doc (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation). Where does he live? I've not yet met him, but I would guess that he's a diabetic. You can either post a response or U2U me. Gracias and Saludos, Paul Boe

David K - 2-22-2008 at 10:22 AM

Coco's Corner is on the road (Hwy. 5) between Laguna Chapala and Bahia San Luis Gonzaga... also see http://vivabaja.com/coco

Hook - 2-22-2008 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hook, I was emailed that photo and ASKED to post that photo AND asked by Antonio to post what I did about him.

I never take photos off another website without permission. People email me photos all the time to post here.

Stop assuming that everything done is out of spite... everything I do here is to help Nomad be a better, more interesting and friendly web site.

If you don't like something, then keep it to yourself... Let's have Nomad be a POSITIVE place... Okay? Happy times... Pacifico times???

[Edited on 2-22-2008 by David K]

Yeah, it must be ME. :rolleyes:

Sharksbaja - 2-22-2008 at 03:17 PM

:lol::lol:

David K - 2-22-2008 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
Nomads, We'll be heading down to La Paz in latter April for our Prosthetic/Orthotic clinic that we hold twice a year with the La Balandra Rotarians down there. It may be a bit too soon (postoperatively) to fit him with a prosthesis, but it would be a good idea to meet him and discuss post operative care. I'll be driving down with my colleague (also a retired Prosthetist-Orthotist) and a PM&R Doc (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation). Where does he live? I've not yet met him, but I would guess that he's a diabetic. You can either post a response or U2U me. Gracias and Saludos, Paul Boe

Hi Paul, another Nomad suggested I point out this photo to you (it is off the coco web page I linked above)... to help answer the u2u question from this morning:

boe4fun - 2-22-2008 at 06:37 PM

Hola Dave, Check your U2U. Paul

XRPhlang - 2-24-2008 at 10:16 AM

I was thru on last Thurs. Saw Coco and he said he needs someone to bring him Neosporin and Antibiotic ointment if they are planning to pass by. Poor man seems determined to have his other leg amputated.

baja Steve - 2-24-2008 at 06:47 PM

Coco has been a good friend for a long time. Over the years we have worked with his medical needs. He is going to need a lot of help and needs after his leg is removed. If all of us that know him keep in contact with this board we should be able to help Coco greatly. what do you think?

BajaTrooper - 2-24-2008 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun

This link will open Coco's location in Google Earth;D
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Number/577333

[Edited on 2-25-2008 by BajaTrooper]

Roberto - 2-24-2008 at 08:40 PM

David, I don't think spite is what Hook had in mind.

On another note, can we stop deleting posts we make, especially after people have responded to them. That's just chickenmierda. Make the post or don't, but once it's made, it's made - stand by it. Is that so hard?

P.S. [editing later] And, spare me the 2-page description of what you meant along with quotes, etc. Yes or no will be fine.

[Edited on 2-25-2008 by Roberto]

KennyKorvina - 2-27-2008 at 01:06 AM

Hi Nomads. My friends and I work in the first aid/safety supply biz and will gladly donate or get items at cost for Coco. We have brought items (gauze/ointment...though it has been a few years) in the past to him and can get some of this to anyone heading that way via UPS. Our next tentative plans for his area are late March. If you know you are heading his direction and can re-affirm through those in the know what he needs, let me know and I can get something to you. accsafety@earthlink.net is email. I was born the wrong sex for Coco to really get along with me but... good lord do I admire his strength and vision for that little desolate patch of sand he calls home.

capt. mike - 2-27-2008 at 08:41 AM

what happened to his 1st leg? is it diabetes by chance?
guess this is all in the public domain by now? if not mea culpa for acksing......sounds like tough duty ahead for him. i think he has lots of supporters in the off road community.
wonder if anyone makes an all terrain rascal?

Steve&Debby - 2-27-2008 at 09:12 AM

I heard a barrel of fuel fell over on his leg and crushed it.Don't know if it is true or not?

More info on Coco

boe4fun - 2-27-2008 at 10:49 AM

Hi Mike, I got this U2U from David K on the Nomads board. I don't have a phone #
for Coco but maybe you can contact John Marnell on the Nomads board:
Yes, one sided and above the knee... I just called Baja Nomad John Marnell who
visits regularly with Coco and he says he thinks Coco has a 2 meter radio and
can talk with Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay... Where there is someone who can
communicate with the USA via Ham. Perhaps we can let Coco know when you are
coming, etc.?
---- Michael Beck <mbeck@sanjop.com> wrote:
> hey paul mike beck here from stockton i am going down to vicente guerrero to
fit some legs in two weeks i dont know if i will be getting down to coco this
time but i am taking the motorcycles we will need to find a contact number for
coco where he is going to stay after his amp he has been fighting that leg for
long time hows brad and louise thanks mike 209-483-8524

boe4fun - 2-27-2008 at 11:06 AM

Hola Nomads, As far as supplies needed for measuring and casting Coco for his prosthesis, we have everything we need. Our La Paz clinic has been in operation for over 2 years and we have enough used parts to make dozens (if not scores) of legs. We will be passing through Cocos area shortly after the Flying Sams clinic to be held at Los Pinos near SQ the second weekend of April. Typically in a situation like this we would measure and cast the patient after the sutures are removed - usually 14 days + or - after the surgery so if Coco is planning on surgery near the end of March he will probably be ready for measuring and casting. It's good to see so many Nomads concerned for Coco's wellfare.

westy - 3-5-2008 at 12:49 AM

KennyKorvina, check your u2u

Paul - let me clarify on the radio thing

John M - 3-5-2008 at 05:39 AM

My comment was to the effect that I thought Coco had a 2m radio not terribly long ago. It was then that I asked the question, that if he indeed has an operational 2m radio, would he be able to contact Gonzaga Bay? There are HAMS in Gonzaga that regularly communicate with a friend of mine in Big Bear Lake. Thus some form of relayed information would be possible.

John Marnell

oldlady - 3-5-2008 at 06:50 AM

You all are some kind of wonderful.

Coco

stimbo - 3-5-2008 at 09:42 PM

We wish the guy well.... he has a kind heart and deserves the best.

coco.jpg - 42kB

Hook - 3-6-2008 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
My comment was to the effect that I thought Coco had a 2m radio not terribly long ago. It was then that I asked the question, that if he indeed has an operational 2m radio, would he be able to contact Gonzaga Bay? There are HAMS in Gonzaga that regularly communicate with a friend of mine in Big Bear Lake. Thus some form of relayed information would be possible.

John Marnell

John M, how is it possible that a 2M radio could get down that far from Big Bear? Isnt the closest repeater in Mexicali?

Or are they using linears. Or maybe they are using HF?

Kell-Baja - 3-6-2008 at 06:19 PM

Wow it's so great how everyone cares for this man who some have never even met. I've never met him but, I am sure hoping he gets well soon. He will surely be in my thoughts & prayers.

Bob H - 3-6-2008 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stimbo
We wish the guy well.... he has a kind heart and deserves the best.

stimbo... that's one of the best photos I've ever seen of Coco. We wish him the best!
Bob H

vacaenbaja - 3-6-2008 at 09:40 PM

While VHF sinals are normally line of sight or a little further with refraction; 2meters can often travel much further with
tropospheric ducting. This is an atmospheric condition
and is rather unpredictable in duration . It may be the case that enough distance is covered to reach a repeater that would enable the link up. But who knows maybe someone has a private repeater set up. I know of a few in Baja Norte.

motoged - 3-6-2008 at 10:18 PM

C'mon radio guys....this is about Coco....start your yakking on a different channel/thread. Show some respect !!

A great number of folks (adventurer Nomads and off-roaders) have a special care for Coco, and some are making serious efforts to support the legendary humble desert gentleman. No one concerted effort has been co-ordinated that I know of yet, but there is solid evidence of chatter about providing prosthetic, motorized wheelchair, and other medical support for Coco. This forum would certainly be a vehicle for co-ordinating such an effort.

I am involved in attempting to help co-ordinate a drive amongst motorcyclists who are interested in buying Coco a motorized wheelchair suitable for his situation as it would be helpful even if he gets fitted with a prosthetic. A local off-road guy has begun to gather funds (Hoping for $4000)...I will forward his contact info on this thread (as well as that of "Kiki" from San Felipe....motel owner) as soon as I get him to resend it.

This issue is way more important that tech-talk....

David K - 3-7-2008 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by John M

John Marnell

John M, how is it possible that a 2M radio could get down that far from Big Bear? Isnt the closest repeater in Mexicali?

Or are they using linears. Or maybe they are using HF?

2 meter to GONZAGA.... HAM (other than 2 m) to Big Bear from Gonzaga.

Here's Coco in November, 2006... just after the Baja 1000:

[Edited on 3-7-2008 by David K]

motoged - 3-7-2008 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
motorized wheelchair, and other medical support for Coco.

Why motorized? High-tech seems like trouble in that environment...

--Larry

motoged - 3-7-2008 at 02:44 PM

Larry,
You ever try to operate a standard wheelchair in sand?

And have you ever seen Coco's place and his ability to get high tech stuff going?

Motorized wheelchairs come in a variety of versions, and some are quite capable of negotiating the type of terrain which is Coco's homebase.

Coco keeps all sorts of stuff working as he needs it to....and he doesn't always like using his current prosthetic....so using two of them sets up a greater likelihood that he will not be mobile.

I am eager to hear of better suggestions in case we have missed out on an affordable and practical option for Coco.

The man will need means of locomotion aside from his limbs/prosthetics....

Motoged - and others

John M - 3-7-2008 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
C'mon radio guys....this is about Coco....start your yakking on a different channel/thread. Show some respect !!
Quote:

I think if you look back at this thread the radio issue was introduced as one possible route to assist Coco and not just to talk about radios. I would think that if you were in the middle of Baja and needed some form of assistance and "radio guys" were trying to formulate a plan to help you then you might see it differently. On the other hand you may be so self-reliant that you would not welcome such help.

At any rate at the risk of turning this into a radio thread I'll answer a couple of earlier questions. The Big Bear fellow communicates on HF - 40 meter - no repeater needed but he depends on good atmospheric conditions and is not always able to make a good contact due to band interference. I am not a radio guy but merely passing on information.

If Coco did have a 2m then there would need to be a repeater between his place and Gongaza to have reliable communication and I have no idea if there is or isn't.

John M

[Edited on 3-8-2008 by John M]

Hook - 3-7-2008 at 08:18 PM

Quote:

A great number of folks (adventurer Nomads and off-roaders) have a special care for Coco, and some are making serious efforts to support the legendary humble desert gentleman. No one concerted effort has been co-ordinated that I know of yet, but there is solid evidence of chatter about providing prosthetic, motorized wheelchair, and other medical support for Coco. This forum would certainly be a vehicle for co-ordinating such an effort.

I am involved in attempting to help co-ordinate a drive amongst motorcyclists who are interested in buying Coco a motorized wheelchair suitable for his situation as it would be helpful even if he gets fitted with a prosthetic. A local off-road guy has begun to gather funds (Hoping for $4000)...I will forward his contact info on this thread (as well as that of "Kiki" from San Felipe....motel owner) as soon as I get him to resend it.

This issue is way more important that tech-talk....

Sorry, didnt realize this was a post about prosthetics for Coco.............oh yeah, it actually WASNT in the beginning and half way through the middle and near the end.

If those of you interested feel it is such an affront, WHY DONT YOU START A THREAD SPECIFICALLY ON A PROSTHESIS FOR COCO. That would be much more effective than in the middle of a post that has gone from reminiscing about Coco to a dogfight to a radio discussion. How many people tuned out long ago.....?

Just a suggestion. I will end my radio discussion.

boe4fun - 3-12-2008 at 12:31 PM

Murray, check your regular email. Thanks, Paul Boe

tripledigitken - 3-12-2008 at 01:59 PM

Just get him one of these:http://www.ibotnow.com/functions/4-wheel.html?from=ggl&ad=off&WT.srch=1&s_kwcid=off%20road%20wheelchairs|847012390&gclid=CLnig5e5iJICF QY3gwod2ApTDw

Packoderm - 3-12-2008 at 05:40 PM

It's $26 thousand.

motoged - 3-12-2008 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
I have about 10 minutes total experience in wheelchairs.

I have some experience with high-tech hardware in abrasive environments.

I'm not attacking, just expressing a potential concern that may have already been considered.

--Larry

Larry,
No offense taken....some careful considerations have been discussed off-forum and some good suggestions on-forum.

What is important here is that those who have had some experiences with Coco tend to want to do something to help the guy out....the practicality of it needs to be hammered out and is being done so with folks in frequent contact with Coco.

The outcome of his surgery (and/or any other intervening medical treatments) will take some time to determine. Some doctors have seen him recently and have suggested that a circulatory condition might be more fully diagnosed before amputation is carried out. Others involved in prosthetic work in the Baja have also been involved.

We are hoping for the best and aware of the worst....such are the demands and challenges of the Baja in such situations.

Thanks for your input.

Ged

Packoderm - 3-12-2008 at 11:50 PM

Yes they do make them:

Well, he might need something with electric start.

[Edited on 3/13/2008 by Packoderm]

boe4fun - 3-14-2008 at 11:46 AM

Hi Ged, Please check your regular email for information on "Off Road Wheechairs" Paul Boe