BajaNomad

GRINGOS GRINGOS GRINGOS!

CaliMex - 4-11-2004 at 10:18 AM

Hi! I'm new to this website.and i live right on the border of mexico in San Diego county.and i think there is alot of amazing
stories on here but one thing i have noticed is that alot of the people on here don't seem to be open minded at all when visiting mexico.i mean all the people
talk on here about is the typical gringo food like eating "FISH TACOS" and SHRIMP TACOS" i mean c'mon they make out like that is the only food in mexico. i mean i have been immersed into the mexican culture all of my life here on the border and most mexicans hardly eat those 2 types of tacos.it sells alot because they know the gringos like em and buy em.just from reading all of these baja web pages it seems like alot of people don't even talk about meeting the local people in pueblos they go through or immerising themselves into the mexican culture..there is such a wide variety and diversity of foods in mexico.
and it seems like all everyone talks about
and thinks mexico is fish&shrimp that is not real mexican culture at all.like i said those tacos are sold because they knows you will fork out the cash for em and corona beer was made by a german guy who was a brew-meister that moved to mexico. i mean i don't hear anyone talking about the rich beautiful culture the mexican people posess.and it's kinda embarassing people have this type of mentality when they visit baja.i've talk to alot of mexicans and they ask why do gringos just talk about fish&shrimp tacos? and they laugh and say that is not the only food in mexico...they think it's funny how americans think that is the ideal food of the country.just like when you go to a taco shop, out of the whole menu...people only order carne asada burrito,rolled tacos,quesadilla or bean and cheese burrito..i c'mon! that is soooo generic.....it seems like alot of gringos are closeminded and once they try something they have to stick with it and thats what they think is original. and another thing i don't hear people talking about immersing themselves into the spanish language...i hope you don't have the average patriotic american mindset where you expect foreigners to speak your language when you are visiting their country.because i've seen alot of americans do that and that is one thing that upsets the peopleof mexico & dont even make an attempt try to commnicate with a few words in spanish with them. the people feel since the anglo/gringo is already rich and have alot of money unlike them that the gringo feels all and mighty the he looks at them as nobodys and feels like he doesn't have to learn spanish at all...so i'm not here to be a jerk i'm just giving you a real real scoop on mexican culture and how to prevent cultural ignorance when visiting the country and how not to look emabarassing to the mexican people because the actions of us are made fun of quite a bit in the country and alot of people don't realize it or have a clue. one last thing mexican people respect you and love it when you show interest into their culture and language and not gringo tacos such "FISH&SHRIMP TACOS DUDE!!"c'monpeople let's be openminded
and leave that dry/bland american mentality at home when visiting this beautiful country.....

JESSE - 4-11-2004 at 01:05 PM

Fish and Shrimp Tacos are very popular with Mexicans, you should know this if you knew what you where talking about.

Obviously, you don't.

CaliMex - 4-11-2004 at 01:36 PM

yes,

fish and shrimp tacos are eaten in mexico but they are not the most popular thing with mexicans....the whole"image of baja"
with americans minds are "baja fish tacos" "shrimp tacos" and drinking a corona with a lime and salt or some cheesy margarita.....mexico is beyond that....you know nothing about mexican culture....i'm part hispanic....don't try to
challenge me with the culture you're just a "BAJA TRAVELER"......i had 2 friends from mexico visit this website and laugh so hard at how the people on here see and view mexico from their eyes.......fish tacos
are sold widely throughout baja to accomodate the american tourist because that is a good portion of their economical income....go to real places like guadalajara,yucatan,oaxaca,chiapas if you want to see real mexican food and real mexican culture....it's funny...that a bunch of rich yuppies from here meet up with their social club and get thier RV club together..and head out to baja and stop by little tourist places to eat on beaches
and sip some margaritas,or eat their infamous fish tacos and then whine about
the conditions or service in mexico because they are use to being pampered and spoon fed in the u.s. and then complain about the hot weather and being sun burn't and refuse to attempt to learn,speak or communicate in spanish
because they expect people to speak english and tend to forget what country they are in....but anyways i'm just trying to tell it how it is...and alot of people live
in this oddball pipdream about what mexico is...

JESSE - 4-11-2004 at 01:46 PM

Dude, i live in Tijuana, 100% Mexican, ********, your either **********, or under 15.

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by BajaNomad]

CaliMex - 4-11-2004 at 02:17 PM

you're an american who moved to tijuana
you are not a national citizen. plus tijuana
is the armpit of mexico.************

Your grammar and the Taco Bell Dog

yankeeirishman - 4-11-2004 at 02:32 PM

Here's some helpful hints for your ****** English grammar *******(*****************):
SYLLABICATION: gram?mar
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: grmr KEY
NOUN: 1a. The study of how words and their component parts combine to form sentences. b. The study of structural relationships in language or in a language, sometimes including pronunciation, meaning, and linguistic history.
2a. The system of inflections, syntax, and word formation of a language. b. The system of rules implicit in a language, viewed as a mechanism for generating all sentences possible in that language.
3a. A normative or prescriptive set of rules setting forth the current standard of usage for pedagogical or reference purposes. b. Writing or speech judged with regard to such a set of rules.
FURTHERMORE....I love the Taco Bells in Baja, very original. Now...where's my Taco Bell dog go, or was that in my fish taco I just ate?

Ken Bondy - 4-11-2004 at 05:07 PM

Calimex

You said you lived "right on the border of mexico". Just curious, which side?

++Ken++

fish tacos

aldosalato - 4-11-2004 at 06:38 PM

True not all of Mexico eats Fish tacos but Baja California North and South do!

Calimex....my oh my!

Debra - 4-11-2004 at 07:20 PM

Do you have the wrong idea when you think this board is full "rich American Yuppies" that just eat fish/shrimp tacos and don't have a clue about Mexican culture...... :spingrin:

Don't know how old you are but, I would venture a guess that many, MANY of the posters on this board have been going to/ living in and spending time in Mexico for may more years than you have been alive.

And when I saw your comment to Jesse I almost choked on my vino!

Don't know how long you have been reading this board, but, I suggest that you may want to hang around a bit longer and learn a bit more before you embarress yourself again. I'm also not trying to be a "jerk" just giving you a 'head-up' amigo. :)

[Edited on 4-12-2004 by Debra]

gonetobaja - 4-11-2004 at 07:24 PM

I like shrimp tacos....

Tacos

Capt. George - 4-11-2004 at 07:41 PM

Maybe you will learn to enjoy "crow tacos".

wilderone - 4-12-2004 at 09:03 AM

You can't find a fish taco better than the ones made in Ensenada at the fish market pier. That makes fish tacos a specialty there, and I love them. Calimex, what is it that you recommend then? I can find some fabulous pig roasts in Baja occasionally, but really, "Mexican" food, as you must know, is regional, and fish tacos is some of what Baja California cooks do best. And if you read the beer poll taken not too long ago, it was Pacifico that won. Me gusta cerveza con mi tacos pescado. Y tu?

Gringos

Kathleen - 4-12-2004 at 09:18 AM

I lived in San Jose del Cabo for six months. The "taco stand" that was my favorite was also a favorite of the native Mexicans that lived there. I rarely saw a tourist standing in the long line.
Mexicans do indeed love tacos. Just as we in the United States love sandwiches.

Calimex

capn.sharky - 4-12-2004 at 11:54 AM

Perhaps you could enlighten us on what the typical mexican likes to eat---besides rice and beans. I like just about everything they have down there, but I am not fussy. As for Tijuana being the armpit of Mexico---that is a very unkind thing to say. I don't particularly like Tijuana, but I do have many fond memories of my youthful days spent there---and at Caliente Race track. There are some nice areas in Tijuana and I am sure there are cities much uglier than Tijuana. I prefer Baja Sur to Baja Norte, but that is just my own preference. Many parts of Los Angeles are uglier and more dangerous than Tijuana. Please tell us your favorite Mexican food.

elgatoloco - 4-12-2004 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaliMex
fish and shrimp tacos are eaten in mexico but they are not the most popular thing with mexicans....

Yea, sure! Next thing you will try and get us to believe is that Cinco de Mayo is NOT the biggest holiday in Mexico! :lol:

Dave - 4-12-2004 at 02:10 PM

Who is dis guy? Fahgetaboutit! Everyone knows that Mexican's favorite food is pastrami.

Pastrami

Oso - 4-12-2004 at 03:29 PM

?Simon, pero con jalape?os y mayonesa!:lol:

dbrooks - 4-12-2004 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Perhaps you could enlighten us on what the typical mexican likes to eat---besides rice and beans. Please tell us your favorite Mexican food.

Well, c'mon punk...

David K - 4-12-2004 at 05:38 PM

Having traveled to San Felipe (and beyond) since 1965, I can guarantee you the fish taco was NOT invented for gringos.

Originally sold from walk up stands and carts, to the locals... we decided to be 'brave' and see what the heck a fish taco was...

I think Ralph Rubio was in town that weekend and watched as my high school friends and I began scarffing these gems down (20 cents each, then)... I started taking my friends to the San Felipe fish taco stand and almost had to pay them to try one... I mean... "a FISH taco???" think about it... sounds gross at first, to most.

The popularity exploded after about 1980... Nope, it wan't created to supply an American demand... the Mexican showed us what was good!!!

[Edited on 4-13-2004 by David K]

Packoderm - 4-12-2004 at 05:49 PM

I like fish tacos; they're good. But how do native bajacalifornios spell fish taco?

Oso - 4-13-2004 at 06:49 AM

FEESH TACO :lol: (taco de pescado)

Markitos - 4-13-2004 at 07:09 AM

I've tried just about everything my freinds put on my plate... I lean to the fish taco side, LOVE BAJA but Im still IRISH ....Tripe and I dont get alone no matter how hungover I am . Oh Yea ....Im POOR Irish not rich yuppie sheeeesh!

Packoderm - 4-13-2004 at 04:39 PM

"FEESH TACO (taco de pescado)"

I have only seen stalls with "fish taco" (not taco de pescado) written on the signs.

In our early days at Bahia de Los Angeles...

Mike Humfreville - 4-15-2004 at 06:38 PM

There was no predictable supply of beef, pork or chicken (that we knew of). There were two small stores (this was in the early '70's) and they sold canned and dry goods ahd household items like brooms and mops, but no meat. There was of course all the fish you wanted.

When we were invited to share a meal with a local family, it was usually based around fish, but fish was often replaced by other staples, particularly cheese and eggs. Chili rellenos and omlettes were more often than not the order of the day in many families in those days, perhaps still.

But I do agree with those above proposing that tacos are not for tourists.

Just think back to the '50's and '60's when many of us (older dudes) were frequenting TJ and Ensenada. Any one of us who ate at any taco stand would be assurred of a hearty case of the quickstep. In those days tacos from the local stands were avoided by tourists and consumed only by the locals.

Kids on the internet

jrbaja - 4-16-2004 at 07:52 AM

is what this poster sounds like. He isn't too far of on some aspects but I want to thank him for enlightening me to fish tacos. I was under the impression that Pastrami is what we are supposed to eat here. I have certainly enjoyed it.
I guess I will have to branch out andtry one o them fishy tacos. Maybe with some fresh almejas from the Endless Summer.:lol:

Mexitron - 4-16-2004 at 10:48 AM

Over the years I've had a few meals with the pescadors in Baja--lobster fried in mustard sauce, abalone soup, beef stew, machaca with venison jerky.....but I don't ever recall being served a fish taco!

backninedan - 4-16-2004 at 11:33 AM

CaliMex, your village just called, they want there idiot back.

fish tacos

bajalera - 4-16-2004 at 04:59 PM

Callimex, you're a dude who really knows how to stir up a chubasco. But when it comes to fish tacos, I'd say your experience is somewhat limited.

In 1964 we lived in La Paz, across from the jail that has since become a library, and my kids often bought fish tacos from the lady who ran the tienda around the corner from us. The only Americans I ever saw in this part of town were a couple of guys who got put in jail, so she wasn't making these tacos for tourists.

After all those rants about the food preferences of dumb gringos, I think you owe us a description of the dish you consider the No. 1 item of Baja California cuisine.

bajalera

JESSE - 4-16-2004 at 05:17 PM

I just ate 2 Shrimp Tacos, 1 Fish, and 1 marisco, yum....:P

Dave - 4-16-2004 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
the No. 1 item of Baja California cuisine.

1. jalape?os
2. mayonesa
3. jalape?os con mayonesa
4. mayonesa con jalape?os

JESSE - 4-16-2004 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
the No. 1 item of Baja California cuisine.

1. jalape?os
2. mayonesa
3. jalape?os con mayonesa
4. mayonesa con jalape?os

Coca Cola.

the baja chihuahua - 4-16-2004 at 08:20 PM

[img]www.idleeyes.com[/img]

Hay Poochie

The Gull - 4-17-2004 at 07:28 AM

What was link all about?

Calilmex

bajalera - 4-17-2004 at 03:44 PM

Well where are you, Calimex? Although your fish-taco critique stirred up a storm, most Nomads are able to tolerate dissension without blowing any fuses. But it's not nice to post a controversial rant and then slink off without even an adios.

So fess up, dude,
What's your favorite Baja food?

bajalera

The Tacos We Eat

Sonora Wind - 4-17-2004 at 04:55 PM

When I fish in the Cortez I do not walk into the hills to find fish tacos. However when I pass through Hermosillo I always stop at the open air market, across from the ( New Super Walmart ) and have a beef taco and coke. Mucho good O:cool:
Come to think of it, I love fish in my tacos. In fact, I eat fish in my tacos in Mexico, in the USA, and in most of South East Asia. Fish The Other Other White Meat:smug:

JESSE - 4-17-2004 at 07:13 PM

Calimex was outgunned and outsmarted, i figure he went to a kids board where he is feeling right at home.:D

surfer jim - 4-17-2004 at 10:34 PM

Saw Calimex today in ENSENADA.....eating FISH TACOS.....:P

Taco de Baja - 4-21-2004 at 10:32 AM

I remember a memorable meal of pickled pulpo (octopus) that a lobster fisherman from Punta Blanca gave us that his wife had made. Only a few of us indulged, after much tequila and beer, but it was actually quite good.

JESSE - 4-21-2004 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Saw Calimex today in ENSENADA.....eating FISH TACOS.....:P
At the Fish market, the worst fish tacos in town.:bounce:

Packoderm - 4-21-2004 at 09:30 PM

Jesse, can you tell me where to get the best fish tacos in Ensenada for the best value? You can U2U me this information if it is considered too confidential and sensitive to publicize.

I remember hanging out in an industrial area of Ensenada where there was a cart in front of a furniture manufacturing plant. The cart was selling tacos de carne asada for 10 cents U.S. apiece to the workers on lunch hour. Those tacos sure were good.

I also remember a sit-in restaurant across the street, catty-corner (sp?) from the fish market that had fish tacos (quite expensive at close to a dollar apiece, but they sure were excellent) and baby Pacificos in a bucket of ice. They had very tall tables and stools. (I kind of remember the stools being barrels or something like that) The last time I looked, it was closed down and empty. Its hard to believe because there was always a crowd inside. One thing I love about Ensenada is how fun it is to walk around all night with my friends drinking and eating without getting a fiscal hangover the next morning. If that is Gringo bastion, well damned hang me. But of course we were in league with many Mexican partiers that had the same idea as us. We especially had fun at an establishment called "The Fox." That place had class.

About two years ago this coming May, I was best-man at my friend's wedding, and we flew him to S.D., rented a car, drove to Ensenada, and threw him a bachelor party. What a night. We stayed on the fishing-boat that we fished on the next morning. We ate enough fish tacos from one particular stall at the market to stuff a whale. I like how you can bring your own beer bought elsewhere. We learned that if you make friends with the people in a particular stall they will cook better for you. It is also a good idea to share your catch with them. This works out pretty well if you catch better fish than what the stall is stocking at the time. I especially like fish tacos made from small bottom-fish. Well, we didn't catch any big bottom fish so we wouldn't know what fish tacos would taste like with big ones. Maybe next time.

JESSE - 4-22-2004 at 12:01 PM

Packoderm,

I am not very familiar with Ensenada streets, but i do know locals swear by a taco stand right off from the main tourist street, they also sell a huge variety of cocteles and tostadas of many diferent varieties of ceviche.

Ask any local in the main street where the famous tostada and taco cart is and they will show you.

TERRIBLE WAY TO GREAT A NUEVO AMIGO

Baja Bernie - 4-23-2004 at 04:13 PM

Boy! You guys don't give a kid a chance. Six posts and feeling like part of the crowd and WHAM! and BAM! and then you all cut his throat. Cut the poor guy a little slack.
After all all the liberals in the world will tell you that fish contain a hight degree of mercury and that somehow retards growth in the brain---OKAY! I give up that is the reason for the attack. Kidding, but fun. Later Amigos de Baja/Nomads.

Eating Habits

MrBillM - 4-23-2004 at 08:01 PM

This is a really ODD line of discussion. To begin with, who cares what anybody else eats. I'm only interested in what I like to eat and I patronize places that serve what I like. As far as what is popular food with Mexicans, I note that the MacDonalds in Mexicali seems to be always packed. Even more bizarre, is that when I arrive at the New AM/PM in San Felipe , I find the Mexicans lined up at the counter waiting for the "Chefs" to put out the Hot Dogs and Hamburgers. The one major difference I find in their eating habits is that they aren't interested in the Jumbo All-Beef Hot Dogs, but only the cheaper "all some kind of meat" Dogs. Because of this, I can never get the All-Beef.
On a related note (Sort of), many years ago when I was living in Indio, the representatives of the Salton Sea Geothermal project went down to Mexicali to tour their Geothermal project. They were surprised when their hosts took them out to Lunch at a Chinese Restaruant, another brand of cuisine which is VERY popular among middle/upper class Mexicans.
So much for cultural purity.

Mr. BillM (w/apologies to Dave & Steph if u heard it before)

Oso - 4-26-2004 at 03:24 PM

Q. How do you know the Cartwrights of "Bonanza" were Jewish?

A. All 3 grown sons lived at home, worked in the family business and ate chinese food every night.:lol:

Cartwrights

MrBillM - 4-26-2004 at 06:43 PM

From what little I remember of their dinners, it appeared
that they mostly ate American food prepared by a Chinese cook.
I'm probably missing the point, though.
Hah, Hah.

BajaNomad - 4-26-2004 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
...Mexicali... They were surprised when their hosts took them out to Lunch at a Chinese Restaruant, another brand of cuisine which is VERY popular among middle/upper class Mexicans.
That probably has more to do with the significant history of the Chinese specifically in Mexicali, which is thusly known today for the abundance of quality Chinese cuisine...

"By 1920 Mexicali's chinos outnumbered the mexicanos 10,000 to 700."
- from an article by Joe Cummings:
http://www.cpamedia.com/history/sharks_fin_tacos/

Regards,
--
Doug

[Edited on 4-27-2004 by BajaNomad]

Chinese food in la Paz

Skeet/Loreto - 4-27-2004 at 05:12 AM

In the year 1972 prior to the opening of the now Famous road, my Mother and I ate chinese food at Jardins in La Paz.

Yhe Yee Family of the Loreto,Mulege,Villa Constitution area are Known to have been the first Natrualized Chinese {1935}
in Baja.
Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

GeoRock - 4-27-2004 at 08:16 AM

CaliMex, I don't usually respond to threads like this....but you are so off in your thoughts about us "gringos."

I just finished taking a Spanish class at the college because I want to learn the language of the country I often visit. I do not expect them to learn English, unless they are in the United States.

My fondest memories of my Mexico travels have to do with being given the privilage of immersing myself in villagers lives. I love the people of Mexico, their honesty, their closeness to the Earth, their humor. I enjoy various types of foods, and have enjoyed many native dishes in the homes of my hosts.

Perhaps someday you will learn more about your own country, when you open up your mind.

surfer jim - 4-28-2004 at 08:52 AM

Calimex....come back !...this was the most viewed and responded to subject on NOMAD board ever....

BajaNomad - 4-28-2004 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
...this was the most viewed and responded to subject on NOMAD board ever....
Not yet... but close:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/stats.php?action=view

Me No - 4-28-2004 at 10:38 AM

I looked up the word Difident in the dictionary and there was a picture of georock. Nice post by the way.

Calimex. If you find the people here overtly obtuse there are sites where it is much more in your face. Do a search. :lol:

Now off to the fish taco cart Jesse was talking about. I had the crab ones yesterday Yummy!!!

Speaking Spanish

Kathleen - 4-28-2004 at 01:11 PM

."

I just finished taking a Spanish class at the college because I want to learn the language of the country I often visit. I do not expect them to learn English, unless they are in the United States.
>>>
Why not? A lot of people in the U.S learn spanish. And the driver's license bureau and lot of other businesses have printouts in spanish and most have some employee that speaks spanish--especially in areas that a lot of Spanish speaking people live and visit.

Packoderm - 4-28-2004 at 02:07 PM

We need to come up with a universal language. (Other than Dollars)

TMW - 4-28-2004 at 05:32 PM

I think the hot dogs and hamburgers at the AM PM in San Felipe are the greatest.

universal language

Oso - 4-29-2004 at 03:28 PM

"We need to come up with a universal language. (Other than Dollars)"

We did. It's called English.

There was an attempt to create a new language that simplified elements of the romance languages. It's called Esperanto and it still has its advocates. I'm not sure of the total number of speakers, less than a million but possibly several thousand. They have conventions etc. But, it's just never really gotten off the ground.

On the other hand, English with all its maddeningly illogical elements, contradictions and exceptions, has by default become the de facto lingua franca of international business and travel. Aviation, by neccessity of safety has had to adopt one language in order to avoid deadly confusion. All air controllers at international airports anywhere in the world and all commercial pilots authorized to fly across borders MUST speak basic English.

This has caused the French no end of consternation.

:moon::lol:

Esperanto

Oso - 4-29-2004 at 04:02 PM

I stand corrected. There are "millions" of speakers according to

http://www.esperanto-usa.org/

Airline language

thebajarunner - 4-29-2004 at 05:20 PM

My daughter is a United pilot.
She says that the most frequent question heard over the air at LAX is "Mexicana, where do you think you are headed?"

Baja Arriba!!