BajaNomad

Baja in Yosemite

thebajarunner - 4-27-2004 at 02:35 PM

Several have indicated some serious interest in taking Baja folks to the Sierra, and specifically to Yosemite.
I am always willing to trek off to my favorite part of the world (yep, even better than Baja) with friends, first-timers and interested folks.
Sooooooo, if there is interest in a good day trek in Yosemite let me know.
As always, my schedule is crazy, but here are some possible dates.
Friday, June 25 I am taking my cousin from Tacoma to see "our park." (even though I grew up in the shadow of Mt. Rainier) We will do Sentinel Dome, Taft Point, the Fissures and have late lunch at the Ahwanee. We would welcome guests.
Memorial Day Sat. (or possibly Monday) would be possible as would the weekend before, May 22 or 23.
I will be taking a friend from Virginia up sometime during the week of July 12-16.
We would have to decide on whether it is "a walk" or "a grunt"
If the snow is gone by Memorial Day the climb to Clouds Rest (14 mi. r.t.) or down to Tuolumne Falls (11 mi. r.t) would be nice. Both go off the Tioga Road to Tuolumne Meadows, should be few people there.
Half Dome (18 mi. r.t.) in early August is also a possible. It is a monster, have done it 4 times in last 5 years, but the absolute ultimate day hike.
Gato, are you on??
How about Jack Swords??
We can even insult the Baja Vida into going along.
We can work out logistics and dates as we go along, also the desired trails to take. Never fear, they are all good!!
** Check out our picture on the Baja hiking site....

Baja (and Yosemite) Arriba!!

elgatoloco - 4-27-2004 at 03:31 PM

Yea,baby!

We ARE interested! Our dance card is pretty full up until late June and beyond. I will consult the calender when I get home from work and see what's what!

:cool:

jide - 4-27-2004 at 11:10 PM

Funny you brought up the sierra nevada, I was just scanning some old slides from 98 where I took this picture of Palissade glacier (sierra nevada's biggest glacier) ......
with THE MOJAVE DESERT IN THE BACKGROUND!!

Kind of remind me of David's K "Onyx Glacier"

jide - 4-27-2004 at 11:11 PM

Most of the ice at the terminal end is under lotsa rocks, but here's another pic taken looking up, to give you a better idea.

jide - 4-28-2004 at 12:23 AM

I highly recommand this place (near Big Pine, CA)
the peaks above are 14 000 ' and best of all...

only place in the US where you can see ice and desert next to each other......

Glacier pix

thebajarunner - 4-28-2004 at 10:10 AM

Nice fotos, Jide.
I have been on the Dana Glacier but not the Palissade, need to get up in those peaks some day before I get old (er)

So, are you coming up for "Baja in Yosemite"???
Will post dates when Gato gets his stuff together.

Baja Arriba!!

GeoRock - 4-28-2004 at 11:10 AM

Baja folks in my territory?!
If the east 120 pass is open I may join you at some point. I am camping in the valley mid-August for a week.

I have climbed Half Dome twice. It's a great hike. You should also climb Mt. Whitney. I went, for the second time, 4 years ago. Backpacked to the top, spent the night (full moon). It was great.

So are you going to remind anyone as the dates get closer on this board, or do you want email addresses?

jide - 4-28-2004 at 12:54 PM

hey bajarunner,
I'm taking 5 days off mid july, and one of the things I'm planning to do, is hiking to winona falls, near the south entrance, nobody around and great beautiful pools, if you guys up for it.

:cool:

Baja in Yosemite

thebajarunner - 4-28-2004 at 04:00 PM

Hey hikers,
refer to my initial post for the best dates, however, I am somewhat flexible and can usually get away on a day's notice.
Hiway 120 will open probably by mid-May this year, as will 132, Tioga Pass through the park.
We live on Hiway 120, just east of Oakdale, literally on the corner, albeit elevated so you don't know the road is there.
Yep, climbed Mt. Whitney 4 years ago, did the overnite at the 12000 foot camp, it was August and the water bucket froze overnite and the trail was frozen the next morning. One of the most beautiful hikes imaginiable.
Winona Falls??? Don't find it on the Yosemite map, where is it?
My friends from Virginia will be here the midweek of July and we will definitely go to the Park that week, but my preference would be to go to the Tioga area, not the valley..
I will keep the dates working, send me a U2U or just a post if anyone wants to hook up for a hike anytime this Summer.
Looks like another 3 weeks or so for the high country, however.
Sounds like so far Gato, Georock, Jide are interested, I will order Baja Vida to come and maybe Jack Swords can come as well.

Baja Arriba!!

HIKING!!!

Jack Swords - 4-28-2004 at 07:27 PM

Dick, am interested so keep the dates posted. Will do 3 - 4 seven to 14 day backpacks in the Sierra this season so why not Yosemite (unless I have to carry a bear canister).

elgatoloco - 4-28-2004 at 07:53 PM

Dates

We have been tweaking the schedule and firming up travel plans and the house remodel (we have to move out! aarrrggghhhh) and blah blah blah. We don not think we will have a weekend free until late June (25th?) mid July (17th). Will keep working on it from this end. :saint:

been there done that but will again

AcuDoc - 5-4-2004 at 09:38 AM

Some of you might remember that I took my Mom to Baja last year for her first time. We hit Ensenada, BOLA, San Ignacio, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz, La Ventana and Cabo San Disneyland.
This spring we are going to Mammoth, Yosemite, Tahoe, Reno and back home here in Sun Valley. I've spent a lot of time at all the above as I lived in Yosemite for 4 years and in Tahoe for a couple.
Think Mom is trying to find out who I am. Especially as I will turn 50 on our trip. She turned 68 in La Ventana last year.
Hi to David K, Skeet etc. I've haven't posted on the board for awhile but know that I am in the bushes keeping an eye on you. haha

Yosemite dates

thebajarunner - 5-4-2004 at 05:23 PM

We will, for sure, take a day in Yosemite on June 25 (Friday) It will be a fairly wimpy hike, my cousin will be here from Tacoma for the Sears Point NASCAR weekend and I promised to take him up Sentinel Dome and Taft Point (including The Fissures) and then to late lunch at the Ahwanee Hotel. Anyone wanting to tag along for a 'Yosemite Lite" outing just let me know and we will welcome you.
Meet us here in Oakdale or somewhere around Bridalveil Parking lot about 10 a.m.
July 16 or 17 are good dates for a longer day hike. My friends from Virginia will be here and we can go up for a long day, possibly at Tuolumne Meadows.
Let me know.

Baja Arriba!!

Mountain passes opening

thebajarunner - 5-5-2004 at 11:45 AM

The mountain passes, 120 and 132, plus Glacier Pt. Road will all be open by May 14.
Time to lace up the boots!

Baja Arriba!!

I GET NEW HIP ON MAY 19!!!!

M - 5-5-2004 at 11:59 AM

I should be very mobile in a month to 6 weeks. BHL and I were talking about a mountain vacation to GET ME THE **&&^%%$e%$#%$ OUT OF THE HOUSE, before I pull someones testicles over their face. eh hm, sorry, little stir crazy here. If this is still floating around end on June early July, We are a go!
BHL & M

Hip Hiker

thebajarunner - 5-5-2004 at 01:49 PM

My orthopod doc got a new hip a few years ago in his early 50's, then climbed Half Dome and Mt. Rainier and still skis.
So much for the excuses.
Yeah, come on up the last Friday in June and take our wimpy Yosemite trek, it is sort of a figure 8 so if the first 3 miles up Sentinel Dome wears you out you can retreat, otherwise, make the second loop out to Taft Point.
Let me know if you are interested.
Bad hip, or no, you can still make lunch at the Awahnee??? Yes???

Baja Arriba!!

elgatoloco - 5-6-2004 at 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
We will, for sure, take a day in Yosemite on June 25 (Friday) .
July 16 or 17 are good dates for a longer day hike.
Let me know.

Baja Arriba!!

Above dates duly noted at Casa elgatoloco. We will be in touch.

Doc and others

Skeet/Loreto - 5-6-2004 at 05:56 AM

Wow! What a Thread!
Good to see you back Doc!
If you will allow this ole Boy to reflect on the past:

Went over Tigoa Pass in 1947 in my Dad's 1938 Plymouth. My brother and I riding the running Boards,when the engine got Hot we would jump off and put Rocks behind the wheels as "We had no Brakes"!!

One of the most beautiful Trips I know is to go through the Pass on the first Day it is Open,snow 30 Feet on each side.

Lived in Bishop, Calif for three Years,going over the pass twice a Month to Fresno Calif. for Dental Work,Bears all over and very few People!

Worked for Yosemite Park and Curry Co. as a "House Detctive, Ski Patrolman, watched the "FireFall" every night,lived in the Employee Tents,had "Beach parties on the River with "Gin-Soaked Watermelons, with College Kids from all over the United States.

I wish all of you a "Good Trip"

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Skeet....

RandyMacSC/SO - 5-6-2004 at 06:02 AM

Skeet!!! Didn't forget about you. Wasn't available since just after your request about helping you with the posting of your photos on BN. I'm heading out again, but will be back maybe later today or early next week.

Take care, and yes I do want to help you.

RandyMac

Sunrise over the Sierra

Skeet/Loreto - 5-6-2004 at 06:03 AM

After finishing the previous Post,I arose for another cup of Coffee, looking out my Kitchen window at a Beautifull Sunrise over the Sierras and Yosemite!!
It is going to be another Great Day!
Skeet/loreto

Markitos - 5-6-2004 at 08:06 AM

Skeet ... Did you Hike over to Fresno?
WOW the days before dentist in Biship :biggrin:
Your in a great place my brother lives in mammoth. So between Mammoth, La Paz and San Diego. One needs good teeth, cause One is allways smile'n :biggrin:

Skeet/Loreto - 5-6-2004 at 03:09 PM

Most of my Hiking out of Bishop{only one Stop Light in Town} was out of South Lake, La Conte Canyon and up to a little Known Lake called "Ampththeater"!I had to do some Rock climbing to get to it, would stay camped about a week,FISHING.Had 3 to 5 Lb "CrossBow Trout' that you could see taking your Bait at 30 Feet below the surface!

Hiked into "Bloody Lakes near Mamouth and caught a 3lb 3 oz Golden Trout{The only fish I have on my Wall} Climbed straight over to "Rock Lake several times{near Convict Lake}

Schats Bakery was still downtown and run by Dan Schat.He had a "Boldow-Phebus Sailplane" .On e day I pulled him off at Bishop Airport{5,000 elevation} dropped him off 2,000 ft above and he took his little Bird to 31,000 Ft. with no Oxygen}

Did a lot of flying over Yosemite at that time, have been on Half-Dome, and over it at 100 Ft.

Went into many of the small Lakes and Streams around Mamouth,Twin Lakes etc.
Always with Fishing on my mind.

If you want Peace and quiet try a trip to "Amphitheater"

Many, many good memories! thanks for all the Posts

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Sierra sunrise

thebajarunner - 5-6-2004 at 05:08 PM

Skeets, how can you see Yosemite from clear down in Loreto? Just curious.
I saw the mountains this morning, before my first cup of coffee, just before sunrise they look like they are laser-cut. Awesome, then about noon the snow peaks cleared up a bit and we had a mid-day view, as well.
So, where are you seeing the mountains?
Our house is on a hill, East facing, 4 miles East of Oakdale, Yosemite is framed in my front window, about 60 miles straight away.
Are you joining us in June for a wimpy hike and a great lunch? Come on along!
By the way, I too caught a mess of native golden trout a couple years ago at Minaret Lake, we were in there for a few wonderful days of backpacking.
Someone said, "Hey, the limit is only 5" and I said, "Doesn't matter, cause I don't have a license."

Baja Arriba!!

otro mojado sin licencia

BajaVida - 5-6-2004 at 09:34 PM

to quote the famous Flaco Jimenez song

with the smoggy valley air

BajaVida - 5-6-2004 at 09:36 PM

it must be a rare day when Skeet can see the Sierra Nevada from Two Sticks

Skeet/Loreto - 5-6-2004 at 10:45 PM

We are about 3 miles East of Dos Palos, calif looking to the North East , about 3 miles off of Hwy 152. It was very clear this Morning with the Clouds stringing out over the Valley. If you are 3 miles East of oakdale you are very near to the Place where Virginia bought the Fox Trotter she got thrown from!!-
I have a cousin that races cars out of Oakdale by the name of Lewellen. His Mother owns the old Miner's Resort just above Priest Grade.If you have ever been to the Old Cliff House or "the Iron door in Groveland, my Uncle owned them all at one time. He also Had Buck Meadows at the time Cherry was being Built. I would drive up from Fresno and Tend Bar on the Week ends.

My time was when the Winkin Lantern and the 3 Story "hoarHouse" was still operating at Yosemite Junction and D
on Pedro had not been heard about.!!

Yuall come down to see me , Ya Hear!

Skeet/loreto

"In God I Trust"-

the Iron Door

BajaVida - 5-7-2004 at 08:31 AM

funny you should mention it.

We (thebajarunner and I and others) were just there a couple of weeks ago on our way back from Hetch Hethcy. We needed to show thebajarunner's future son in law (a Texan-Brit) some local color.

As for the Miner's Inn, was that the restaurant (turquoise in color) on the right side of the road with the best pies? If so, it is now a computer repair place and something else.

Sierras, etc

thebajarunner - 5-7-2004 at 05:12 PM

Skeets, why in the world would we drive down to Dos Palos when you could drive on up to the mountains? Sonora Pass opened this afternoon, come on up our way.
Yep, lots of horses for sale along Orangeblossom Rd., which runs just North of us a couple hundred yards. Mostly they smell bad and eat a lot, about all I know on horses.
As to the Iron Door Saloon visit, the Baja Vida nearly had a coronary when he thought we were passing it up. We were just looking for a legal parking place, he suggested we just leave the car in the road and get on in.
Anyway, the snow peaks were out all morning, now the smog has settled in, sigh...

Baja Arriba!!

Skeet/Loreto - 5-9-2004 at 04:57 AM

You are so Right!!
So ayer my wife and I departed our Digs on the Shafter Canal and proceeded to a 10,000 Acre Ranch near Corasegold to have a BBQ and watch a Cowboy ride a Bronco. It had been many years since I had been to the area,What a surprise to see all the Multi-million Dollar Trophy Houses among the Hills! to see the "Rabble of Shops" where once stood and old County Lodge.
We were treated to a Ride by the California Bare-Back Bronc champion of California!

There are still Cowboys !1 But as i looked at the Snow covered Peaks , this ole boy longed for the Trails and Lakes of the Hi Sierra,!
"God willing and the Creeks Don't rise " someday I will be able to Hike the Trail to "Ostrander Lake" again!

Have fun on your Hike.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Skeet/Loreto - 5-9-2004 at 05:06 AM

M
Hang in there Pretty Lady!!Think Positive!

My hope is to Ski Badger,China Peak, and Mammouth again!!
Depends if the Doctor gives me a go ahead with the Altitude on whether or not it will "Pop" these Stents around my ole Heart!

I will have you in my Prayers today as I make Coffee for the Early arrivals at Church!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

GeoRock - 5-10-2004 at 12:42 PM

I managed to fight the phone crowds and secured a campsite in Yosemite Valley July 18-25th. If you are going to be in the valley at that time, let me know and I'll let you know where you can drop by for a cold one.