BajaNomad

MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"

Pages:  1    3

Pompano - 7-19-2008 at 06:45 PM

As of Dec. 9th, 2013 all photos in this thread have been restored as originally posted. This was due to a major snafu with Photobucket. And I want to tell you, it was a helluva lot of hard, tedious work! :rolleyes:

I hope you enjoy these Mulege scenes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST POST - SAM'S PIZZA PARLOR

As Mulege is my adopted and loved Baja home town, I figure to be posting photos of this village until it's dirt nap time. To make things easier on my memory banks, and not hijack anybody else's threads, I will post my photos, comments, rants, and reports here. Life will become muy facile.

DONNA MOE'S PIZZA & SAM'S PLACE

To begin....Many years ago we had a great little newspaper in Mulege..called theMulege Mirror. Sadly, it is no more, but in remembrance of a fun read I will dedicate this thread to the publication. It was widely read amongst tourists, expats, locals, snowbirds, FBI, IRS, ATF, etc.

Who knows?...maybe we can breathe some life back into it and it's authors. Kind of recapture that other laid-back era. Odd..a little tear just ran dripped off my chin as I typed that. Opps, not a tear...just foam from this weird Newport marina micro-brewery. Hope Toshiba laptops are beer-proof.

Now I always got my copy of the Mirror at Donna Moe's Pizza at the plaza in downtown Mulege. Had breakfast there and caught up on the absolutely true gossip in the editorials and 'Maude Tells All' column ...or at least until it was time to watch amazing Zulema walk the square. There were certain 'must do' duties in my day back then and this was #1. Ach, it was always very dry work..but Sam was a caring host and ready with a cool one.

Here's a photo from the dim past at Donna Moe's. A place that was a lot like "CHEERS."

Donna Moe's Pizza was located across from the city square and this bougainvilla.

I was in town a few weeks back and took this melancholy photo of Donna Moe's. Now that brought a real tear.

Who wants to start up a breakfast bar? I'll talk to Zulema.

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by Pompano]

cabobaja - 7-19-2008 at 07:14 PM

Pompano..............great photos! Ah, the memories. Yes, Sam always had a cold one. He started about 10am, or was it 9am. Spent many hours at Donna Moes and more hours on his porch at his house on the river road. I have never seen or met anyone that could drink more beer than Sam. Donna, another story. May she RIP. Was in Mulege last week and noticed the empty shell of what once was a place gossip and laughter.

REALLY OLD wall top burglar defense.

Pompano - 7-19-2008 at 07:47 PM

"Old times are not forgotten."

This particular style of wall cap is not in vogue anymore. So much blood to wash off....tsk, tsk.

Stark and to the point. If you used this defense in the USA, you might as well just sign over the house to the perps and save yourself the lawsuit. :yes:

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by Pompano]

The oldest continously-running hotel/cantina in southern Baja.

Pompano - 7-19-2008 at 08:12 PM

The Hacienda.

Don't you just love those places which offer a quick glimpse of cool places within...a pleasant spot to quafe that thirst and sit in the shade of a bougainvilla tree.

I once wrote love poems in this safe haven...infused with several Cuba 'Communistas.' Let's see if I can remember a few...."There was a young girl from Exeter, so beautiful men craned their necks at her, even one so brave as to take out and wave..."

Strange..I never heard back from the New Yorker on any of those..ah, well, screw them city slickers...I'm a fisherman at heart.

4.jpg - 34kB

Paula - 7-19-2008 at 08:50 PM

I think we are in for a nice thread here, Roger. All Baja nostalgia appeals to me, and I often wish we had visited many years before our first trip down in 2001. I've wondered how it might be to stay at the Hacienda. It looks muy elegante, and those barely seen places behind walls are so intriguing. And what exactly is a Cuba "communista"? A person? An icy rum drink?

There are still many bottle walls around Loreto, and some seem to be new. I prefer them to the razor wire we also see. They are colorful, and we can see the glass as bright decoration if we choose to. The intent of razor wire is not at all ambiguous.

cabobaja - 7-19-2008 at 09:50 PM

Oh yes...............the Hacienda. Only hotel I have stayed in in Mulege for the past 30 something years. A little run down, but the AC works, bed is comfy, shower is hot with great pressure and the price is right. Betrize always has a welcome smile. Met Bajaboy there????, 94-95-96? Hell, I cannot remember. What year was it Zac? Anyway, 2 single studs, drinking all the suds. Those were the days.

rpleger - 7-19-2008 at 09:54 PM

The Hacienda...the best breakfast in town...Sam, Jungle Jim, Muk

A Communista con Cubana (cigar)...

Mexray - 7-19-2008 at 10:04 PM

140px-ChewithCigar.jpg - 7kB

Pompano - 7-19-2008 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
I think we are in for a nice thread here, Roger. All Baja nostalgia appeals to me, and I often wish we had visited many years before our first trip down in 2001. I've wondered how it might be to stay at the Hacienda. It looks muy elegante, and those barely seen places behind walls are so intriguing. And what exactly is a Cuba "communista"? A person? An icy rum drink?

There are still many bottle walls around Loreto, and some seem to be new. I prefer them to the razor wire we also see. They are colorful, and we can see the glass as bright decoration if we choose to. The intent of razor wire is not at all ambiguous.

Right on, Paula...Those are the kind of semi-hidden places we like to explore when traveling to new destinations. We did stay at the Hacienda for a couple of days back in 1972 and then again when the house was being torn apart. I remember it was about $4 a night the first time. Not the Ritz, but clean and a welcome bed, shower, etc. Tons of character and charm in the inner sactum. They still brought cattle in until quite recently, historically-speaking... to auction them off..the watering well/trough is still there. The effect is still comfy, but popularity comes and goes with each new influx of northeners. A French bunch made that place rock in the 80's! Some great times and fiestas.

On the drink name...My Dad started it for me...renaming the old fashioned drink, Cuba Libre, a Cuba Communista and sometimes a Cuba Pintada (meaning stained Cuba) which has club soda and just enough cola to stain it...Dad's play on Castro's staining of Cuba and also eventually taking away the 'libre' part from my Dad's close friends there. We were there as a family when Castro took over the country in 1959.

The glass-shard walls are not found too much around here anymore...but one amigo did put them on his hill house near Posada a few years back. They are close to the highway and had several breakins, until he imbedded glass in new cement. Upon returning after a trip north, they found a pool of dried blood below...ouch. I would imagine the colorful bits would make a nice lightshow in the right moonlight or lamplight. I agree that concertina wire is for prisons.

Care to have a Cuba sometime? Bring Don...they're on me.

Cuba_Libre.jpg - 6kB

Hola Ray....A Communista con Cubana (cigar)...

Pompano - 7-19-2008 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray

I love that photo. Always reminds me of a Navy Admiral caught smoking a Cuban cigar at a Washingtonn function. A young reporter approached and asked the admiral how he could justify smoking the illegal contraband from Fidel's communistic Cuba.

His reply..."Young lady, I think of it as burning his crops to the ground."

Pompano - 7-19-2008 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rpleger
The Hacienda...the best breakfast in town...Sam, Jungle Jim, Muk

Ricardo.....I could not agree more. It was a good reason to drive into town. Muk, Jaime, and Sam were something else, weren't they?

Hey..we need a good sidewalk breakfast place for next winter. Get someone interested.

Hola, Roger...

Mexray - 7-19-2008 at 10:42 PM

...Alas, these days I'm confined to 'burning the crops to the ground' of Honduras...I'm told they use smuggled 'seeds' from the Cuban hinter lands to cultivate some equally wonderful Stogies....:spingrin:

Ah life us good, but I still miss that Arena de Concepcion between my toes!

Loved you tales...keep em' coming when you get the chance...

Ray

fulano - 7-19-2008 at 11:33 PM

Pompano: Once you scan in these old photos, just about any old photo image software will clean them up for you. I ran your top photo through the automatic function on Microsoft Photo Editor (it comes with older versions of Microsoft Office). Check out the difference:

capt. mike - 7-20-2008 at 05:58 AM

What about the old John and Sue days of Donna Moes! Those were a riot up on the top deck drinking triples with John, or having Juan Carlos bartending and only charging about one out of 3 drinks!

Pompano - 7-20-2008 at 07:21 AM

egads, fulano...that photo-editing really does make quite a difference. I just got a new Toshiba laptop so will hunt around for that feature. Gracias..a LOT of my photos need help a little sprucing-up.

Mike...did John and Sue drink? Every time I went 'up top' during the short time Frisbee and Sue were there it was a church social. The cookies and hot chocolate were always good. Carlos was good, and learned his trade at the old Casablanca across the square many years earlier, when Pico de Oro was in town.

This photo shows where their old bar used to be...atop Sammy's Pizza. Long gone now.

Looks a bit forlorn now, doesn't it?

bajalou - 7-20-2008 at 08:27 AM

Stayed at the Hacienda 3-4 nights in 97 while returning from trip to Cabo. Great spot.

capt. mike - 7-20-2008 at 09:20 AM

??did John and Sue drink? Every time I went 'up top' during the short time Frisbee and Sue were there it was a church social. The cookies and hot chocolate were always good. Carlos was good, and learned his trade at the old Casablanca across the square many years earlier, when Pico de Oro was in town. ??

well no, actually they did not.
you see they were Normans on a mission representing Rev. Ewing's reknowned "Church by Mail" originally based in Normandie.

of which i am also an agent able to confer rights of counsel and ministration to anyone interested in sending $19.95 plus S&H to my paypal account.
with it you'll receive a complete package of ordination, or is it ordaination - hell i forgot - but the thing is once you are prefected in the rights you don't have to pay income taxes. But wait!! there's more! - act now and i'll double the offer - you get TWO minister kits plus a sacramental blender.

so no, they didn't drink....much.:biggrin::biggrin:

Pompano - 7-20-2008 at 09:25 AM

MIKE..!! You need to join us on this walkabout. We need a good point man...and this is a land of heathens. :yes:

The Frisbees...NOW it is coming back...those guys did drink...and some days I could see my house from way up there.

Lindalou - 7-20-2008 at 02:23 PM

Pompano, your pictures and stories sure know how to cheer up a pi$$y board. Thanks......Linda

Paula - 7-20-2008 at 03:01 PM

"Care to have a Cuba sometime? Bring Don...they're on me. "

We'd love to, Pompano! A Cuba libre has always been one of my favorites, since long before I was old enough to have one. I was in Havana in 1959 too, on 26 de Julio no less. It was an amazing street party with almost all of Cuba crammed into the center of the city, and Fidel speaking for hours from a rooftop, high above the crowd. Too bad things went south-- your father had it right with the "communista". How does this relate to Baja? Well... the local Spanish can be difficult to understand in both places.

Keep the stories and pictures coming! This is enjoyable reading.

HACIENDA LORE

Pompano - 7-20-2008 at 03:20 PM

HACIENDA LORE...

I have been trying to recall all the various characters who have ran the cantina and hotel since I came upon the scene..people who have leased or rented the 100+year-old hotel from it's owner, Alfonso Cuesta.

I remember Alfonso himself was there running it when I first walked through those great front portals. Great times were had there in the early times when we came off the old rough road. We once took 2 weeks from San Quentin to Mulege, hard going, but truly grrreat times. That old hotel was a welcome sight even coming from nearby Sta. Rosalia..a mere 4-hour trip then...which is today a boring and too-fast 45 minutes.

Even back then Mulege was a gathering spot for backroad lovers...travelers, writers, photographers---all typical early Baja characters. Visitors came by sailboat, luxury yachts, overland like us, but mostly them came by planes. We, on the other hand, were 'airborne' a few times ourselves....;D

When we first checked into the Hacienda, we took 2 showers, got the clean clothes out, then hit the cantina for that needed cold one...and saw a piece of history unfold before our eyes.

The cantina's walls, ceiling beams, mesquite-fired grill, watering well, and any handy surface to write on..were cluttered with notes and signatures of travelers from everywhere on the globe...we marveled at some Hollywood names.. John Wayne, Jayne Mansfield, Bing Crosby, Lee Marvin, Ricardo Montalban, Tracy, Burt Reynolds, Miquel Mijia, Donald Sutherland, Fabian, Anthony Quinn, and many more...some like Lou Federico, Erle Gardner, JW Black, and Ray Cannon we would come to know about during our soon-to-come Baja initiation.

We felt like we had found King Tut's tomb. There were hundreds more signings from around the world and it was great to read those early reports of enjoyment and surprises. We humbly added our own ..but as close as possible to our favorites.

(Oddly and sadly, those old autographs and notes were painted over during a renovation in the late 80's by a fellow named Funk, who leased the place from Alfonso for a year or two...he painted the rock mural stick figures in thier place. We were shocked and peed -off. So much for nostalgia.)

Here's a recount of one of the earlier denizens of the Hacienda.

In those older signed-wall times, a nice chap by the name of David Dominguez occupied the cantina and made part of it into a studio for his oil-portrait profession. For extra business, he sometimes painted whatever you wanted, faces, scenes, post cards, etc. Once I noticed a full-portrait of a Mexican army officer holding a Thompson machine gun. To each his own. I would have chosen a Schmeisser machine pistol...less grandiose. The cantina/bar stayed, of course, for David loved his toddy now and then..plus a lot of us needed the cantina to stay operating, too.

One day David was hired to do a head portrait of the wife of mi amigo, Richard Long, her name was Sylvia. They lived in Coyote Bay and David would go there to have her pose. He also had a sideline teaching Spanish at the Posada community and had struck up a friendship with a nice couple there...a certain Dale and Yvonne.

Well, Dah-veed was a lady-killer (in HIS mind anyway) and soon became enamored of the beautiful Yvonne, thinking she would return his advances..which she did not..but he tried..oh, how he tried. It became an obsession.

He got quite maudlin about it and would approach me at the bar with a love-note to hand off to Yvonne on my way home past Posada. I told him I was no John Alden, but he insisted to the point of threatening to withhold my Xmas hand-painted post cards, so I agreed to take it. I never did deliver it, as I knew Dale would break David's painting arm...and I needed more cards.

As the days passed, and David continued the completion of Sra. Long's portrait, he would give me more notes, and I stuffed them in my pockets. David was becoming a little depressed over this whole thing about Yvonne not returning his love calls. He seemed to be drinking a few more highballs than usual...but hey, it was a cantina and he was an ar-teest. Doomed in any way you looked at it.

Then I was on a mission one noon hour as I walked into the studio/cantina and sat down on my stool. David was not at his easel as most times before, but was slumped at the bar with his head in his hands...half a bloody mary sitting there.

I grin, "Hola, David...que pasa? Got a good hangover? Poco crudo?"

His bloodshot eyes looked at me and said..."Rogelio, I'm in big trouble. Sr. Long is coming today to get his wife's portrait. He wants it in time for the holidays. I told him it would be done and ready for him."

I had seen the covered portrait frame on the studio's easel for a long time now and wondered what could be wrong. He had been working on it last night when a bunch of us were in there yakking fishing. I said, "Well, it's only noon, why don't you finish it up now? It can't be much. Hell, if you're that hung-over, I'll do it for you. I know Sylvia very well."

"I did finish it, ...last night. That's the trouble." He walks over the easel and takes off the cover and shows me the finished portrait.

It was an extremely well-done portrait, I thought..David's style stood out...and then it struck me. Whoa! What the..?

About the same time Dav-eed says, "Look! I painted Yvonne's face into Slyvia's head."

I really tried to hold my belly-laugh back, but you know how that goes...the damn beer goes right up your nose and and you snort-spray all over the room.

David is not impressed and shields the portrait. "It's Yvonne's fault..I love her so much."

After I got back in control, I told David I was actually there to pick up the painting for mi amigo, Richard, and would explain everything to him. Not too worry.

Richard (Dick) was a good-natured man and would see the humor in all of this.

David was only too glad to hand over the painting.

And Dick Long did see the humor..especially when I showed him all those love-notes to Yvonne. We had some great times for many years showing folks that absurd painting of Sylvia's neck and hair..with Yvonne's face planted in the middle.

Sylvia was a great sport, laughing about it too, and gave it to me for Xmas a couple years later. Today it hangs in my poolroom in Coyote Bay.

Ah...Mulege! Good for the soul. I could have ended up in Fargo.

[Edited on 3-25-2009 by Pompano]

Udo - 7-20-2008 at 03:21 PM

NOW, THIS IS WHAT I CALL A BAJA NOMAD SITE!

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-20-2008 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

...But wait!! there's more! - act now and i'll double the offer - you get TWO minister kits plus a sacramental blender.

[Edited on 7-21-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

KurtG - 7-21-2008 at 08:47 AM

Pompano,
I spent many great hours in that bar. First parked my motorcycle in the courtyard in Oct. '74 and Mulege has kept calling me back all these years. Like you, and Alfonso, I was very upset when Arron Funk painted over all those names, years of history destroyed. I think he was also the guy who moved the ancient bouganvilla from the center of the courtyard which changed the character of the place.

When I pulled in the first time Alfonso told me to pick out a room and showed me where the cerveza was and said to keep track of what I consumed. I choose one of the old rooms up front and after about 5 days asked Al if he wanted me to register or anything. His reply, "well, if you want to!" No locks on the doors back then. Things have changed a bit but I still am drawn back to Mulege and the bay.

Paula - 7-21-2008 at 11:15 AM

Whatever became of those love notes from David to Yvonne, Roger? Maybe if they are stuffed in some seldom opened drawer they could be collaged onto a frame for the painting, and the painting moved back to the Hacienda bar.

But that might depend on how David might feel about it-----:o? :fire:? :no:? :biggrin:? :coolup:?

:dudette:

Pompano - 7-21-2008 at 12:10 PM

Paula, David D. has been gone these many years since his heart was broken by the fair Yvonne. I faintly remember hearing he was in TJ getting it repaired, but who knows.....he was nomadic, too.

I have tons of memorabilia in several holes and will scour them up for that collage. Sounds like fun to me, but could create some confusion on the home front. :rolleyes:

Pompano - 7-21-2008 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Pompano,
I spent many great hours in that bar. First parked my motorcycle in the courtyard in Oct. '74 and Mulege has kept calling me back all these years. Like you, and Alfonso, I was very upset when Arron Funk painted over all those names, years of history destroyed. I think he was also the guy who moved the ancient bouganvilla from the center of the courtyard which changed the character of the place.

When I pulled in the first time Alfonso told me to pick out a room and showed me where the cerveza was and said to keep track of what I consumed. I choose one of the old rooms up front and after about 5 days asked Al if he wanted me to register or anything. His reply, "well, if you want to!" No locks on the doors back then. Things have changed a bit but I still am drawn back to Mulege and the bay.

For sure, KurtG. It was a genuine sense of loss we all felt when those records were so grossly painted over..still can't imagine why Funk did that to this day. Any cafe owner in the world would have been elated to have them on his walls. I recall they were even on the sides of the courtyard grill and a few carved into the central bougainvilla.

Many conversations about ways to restoring those old friends have taken place since...a project oft discussed, but as yet not implemented. Hey, it's not like uncovering DeVinci's works of art underneath a painting as happens periodically throughout the world, but nevertheless they are treasures to all of us everywhere who love Baja. One can only hope. We need a museum curator, a restoration expert or such to explain if it is possible and how to do it...any out there?

You can practice on my game room wall. Somehow the last scores of the pinto derby were whitewashed over and I want to collect my money.

I love that old Hacienda like one loves a wise old uncle from a better place and time..kind of like the feeling you get from a Norman Rockwell painting. Okay, I admit to being a sucker for nostalgia. Although someone here next to me keeps telling me wearing the same fishing shirt for 4 days now is not being 'nostalgic.' :rolleyes:

I remember very well our first room at the Hotel Hacienda. It was numero 4, first corner left as you entered those massive portal doors. (Our departed friend, Mateo, carved the present sign hanging outside those doors today. See my pic.) We called that room home for a couple different stays. You could almost hear the old vacqueros talking and smell cattle.

On honor systems.

Alphonso's honor system for the rooms and cantina was typical old-Baja, and reminded me at the time of where I was born and raised. My family lived with that code in country general stores, and we still use the honor system today at a duckshack I have in a little hamlet on the ND/Canada border. (Pop. 50 until we seasonally congest it to 52 ..thereby starting & completing the tourist season.)

So much of this village reminds me of similar small places in Baja, where everyone knows everyone and the dogs. Our village business district is one building w/hitching post...bar/cafe/grocer/post office/volunteer fire dept and think-tank. You walk the 100 yards from the duckshack, make yourself at home..if Lorraine or Harry are out hunting or fishing, you write down what you drank, what you ate, and don't play with the firetruck siren in back. Sooner or later the tab shows in your mailbox.

Like our part of Baja, it's not so much about any rules, per se, but how much you respect yourself and others around you. And also like Baja used to be a while back...things are pretty lax up there about certain regulations, but most manage to use common sense. We always try not to scare any elders when landing on the county road outside town.

Sepember-November there is just what the doctor ordered after driving thru mega-cities. The loudest thing there are the tingling calls of sandhill crane flying overhead...which kind of sounds like doves on steroids. An easy place for any nature lover. An amigo and hunter from Sonora took these 2 photos.....he calls this place BajaNorte, USA.

Whew...sorry, got a little off-track there, but like any of you with a favorite place in Baja and comparisons in the States...that duckshack sits in a pretty darn good place, too. For us 'hunters'.

It all just goes to show...The Baja Feeling is where you find it.

Thanks for the tour of the Hacienda Hotel in Mulege, Alphonso.

Cypress - 7-21-2008 at 12:26 PM

Have seen a glass-topped wall or two down in the French Quarters of New Orleans. They probably stuck that broken glass on the wall tops about 100 yrs. ago.:D

capt. mike - 7-21-2008 at 02:07 PM

wow!! who has a place where you can park your B 55 short Baron??
nice digs Roger.

Pompano - 7-21-2008 at 02:24 PM

capt. mike...it's an old duckshack I have had since forever. We made it quite cozy. You will be surprised to hear that I paid a whooping $2900.00 for it..No, I didn't forget any zeros...and an elderly violin-playing amigo named Gideon was apologetic about asking so much, but that was his figure. I gave him exactly that much. To have offered $3000 'even' would have been an insult. It's the way things are up there.

Have you ever landed on country roads? We have a gridwork of them...long and straight, they make perfect runways, but watch out for badger holes.

capt. mike - 7-22-2008 at 05:58 AM

way cool for sure.
ok - when is the season and is it ducks, geese, or?? and where is this place again?
yes i can land on roads but in some locales it is verboten , ops only allowed on official pistas. the occasional farm truck coming at you can mean a bad day...

Pompano - 7-25-2008 at 07:11 AM

capt. mike...we all learned to fly Up North by landing where we could, not always where we should..if you get my meaning. My old friend and Baja-vet bush pilot, Dusty, prides himself on landing as 'close' to anywhere I am Up North.

Once the county sheriff called me to ask whether or not I had a twin tied to my fence. I said yes.. he said ..'Heard that, just make sure it doesn't block the sidewalk...you know Vera next door needs it to walk to the post office every morning.' No problema, I replied...I bring Vera dorado from Baja..she brings us fresh cinammon rolls. Works great for all.

The area provides superb goose-duck hunting. Also pheasant a little further south..right, Jorge? ;D

Now back to Mulege Mirroring......we are off-course.
For anyone that doesn't know by now, Mulege has a new and convenient place to get ice and beer. Across from the Pemex on the highway north of town.

Just before the new beer deposito is our own 7-11...or in this case, 11-7. Sophia runs the place and you couldn't find a more congenial hostess. At one time she and husband operated the Villa Motel high atop a hill overlooking Mulege below. A very special view and place.

At her Eleven-Seven, try her mini-burgers on Sat...yummy...or just have coffee or a beer to chat awhile with charming Sophia. English spoken, Spanglish taught.

Few visitors know about or take advantage of a handy dike-top walkway to a nice river and palm forest scene. It is located just before Pancho Anaya store as you enter Mulege from the north. Take a moment and bring your camera for scenes like this one.

SATURDAY CARNITAS

Pompano - 7-31-2008 at 08:05 AM

One of the 'special treats' of Mulege is eating carnitas every Saturday at Taqueria Dannys. This fabulous date-fed pork is hand-chopped by Antonio and served with lots of delicious compliments...you should order a bunch right away, as they go fast.

It has become a social event every Saturday since Antonio's father, Ramon, first opend the cafe about 20 years ago. Ramon was first a chef at the next door El Nino steakhouse, and after that closed he opend his own business. Sadly, Ramon passed away too soon in life, but his son and friend, Lorena, carry on a great tradition of good food and genuine hospitality.

RIP Ramon. Here he is surrounded by satisfied patrons.

The place can be jammed by 11, so I get there a bit earlier. Just stay off MY stool.

I could no more go to Mulege on a Saturday morning and pass up these carnitas than I could boat past a fish boil without casting a lure.

The cafe is located at the little square across from Manuel's grocery tienda and next door to the El Nino steakhouse bldg. Easy to find, just follow the one-way main street as you come into Mulege. Or...follow your nose...

Antonio carries on the tradition.

David K - 7-31-2008 at 08:48 AM

Great stuff Roger... thank you!

Lindalou - 7-31-2008 at 11:52 AM

Roger, where are the regulars that usually are setting on Sophia's porch? Bruce a large man that lived in a trailer at Custa Real and another guy I forgot his name. He use to house sit a house behind Jungle Jims and was a regular there till the flood and then moved into a small trailer somewhere. There were a couple of others also whos names I have forgotten. Rich and I would stop and have a beer or two with them on our way back to Santispac. Thank you for these wonder pictures. Even thought its only been a couple of years they still bring back wonderful memories of Mulege.

Cypress - 7-31-2008 at 12:06 PM

Pompano, Thanks for the Mulege pictures.:bounce:

Pompano - 7-31-2008 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichnLinda
Roger, where are the regulars that usually are setting on Sophia's porch? Bruce a large man that lived in a trailer at Custa Real and another guy I forgot his name. He use to house sit a house behind Jungle Jims and was a regular there till the flood and then moved into a small trailer somewhere. There were a couple of others also whos names I have forgotten. Rich and I would stop and have a beer or two with them on our way back to Santispac. Thank you for these wonder pictures. Even thought its only been a couple of years they still bring back wonderful memories of Mulege.

RichnLinda, glad you liked the photos. I do too, along with the everyday life in the village.

As for the porch crew at Sophia's, I am pretty sure that the fellow you call 'Bruce' is actually Butch. The other mentioned just might be Mike, who has been trusted to house-sit several places. Sophia's is a great place to stop on our way back from the boat ramp. She is good company, as is her husband.

Lindalou - 8-1-2008 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by RichnLinda

RichnLinda, glad you liked the photos. I do too, along with the everyday life in the village.

As for the porch crew at Sophia's, I am pretty sure that the fellow you call 'Bruce' is actually Butch. The other mentioned just might be Mike, who has been trusted to house-sit several places. Sophia's is a great place to stop on our way back from the boat ramp. She is good company, as is her husband.
Yes, Butch is right, also Mike and the other one I am thinking is John. Sophia and her husband were fun to visit with. Thanks again

Great Job Pompano :-)

lindsay - 8-14-2008 at 12:31 AM

Thanks for putting a smile on my face with your Mulege memories of many places and people that are part of this unique area. It's hard for me to believe that it's now 10 years ago that Donna Moe's was the "Cheers" spot on the plaza corner as you so aptly described.

One of my favorite "Sam stories" was when he offered to give me a ride to Loreto so I could pick up my friend from San Diego who was making her first visit to Mulege. I think that Sam liked the idea of "chaperoning" two 30-somethings with a ride in his sweet "blanco El Camino" back to Mulege.

Of course, I was very familiar with Sam's hydration regime and the ride back to Mulege was a tour that Sam insisted on for my friend's first visit. Stop number one, of course, tacos and Pacificos in town before gassing up at the Pemex. Stop number 2, a scenic highway deposito to turn in now consumed Pacificos and to ice the cooler with additional beverages for the "grueling" part of the trip through the desert before reaching the Bahia. Stop number 3, Playa Buenaventura so we can meet some of Sam's friends, stretch our legs and rehydrate after the grueling desert passage . Stop number 4, a quick visit to El Burro for a bathroom break and to see some more friends. Finally, 4 hours later...last but of course, not least, a leisurely visit on the roof at Donna Moe's to meet the usual suspects and enjoy the panoramic view of the town.

As we slid back into our Corona sponsored plastic chairs on the roof, my friend whispers to me, "If we make any more stops today, I think I'll burst!!". I assure her that we have docked for the day and there are no more ports of call...until after sunset."

For those who don't know the days of Sam and Donna Moes, you might shake your head at his "tour style" but looking back, somehow, I didn't think twice about hopping in the ole El Camino and hitting the road for Loreto with him. It was a trip he'd made countless times and I'd gone on with him a few times before. The skies were always clear, the laughs were many as we breezed by the signs "mas vale tarde que nunca"...for Sam, it was more of a reminder to take the slow road to Mulege and say hi to a few friends on the way!!

So, thanks Pompano...a nice trip back to days gone by....it's been many moons since my last Sam sighting...don't know if you know any news...heard he was in San Diego at one point but that was long ago too...looking at your photos I can almost hear him calling out to a passing car from the steps of Donna Moe's :-)

Pompano

Baja Bernie - 8-14-2008 at 04:57 AM

Roger, You don't even know you are in a contest--to bring this site back--but you surely are winning it..............Thank you my friend (my first post in a long time).

Please continue to listen to your tackle box.

Crusoe - 8-14-2008 at 05:20 PM

Thank You Roger....You have brought back and so well described such fond memories that we all once shared for alot of us older Baja travelers. Thanks again. ++C++:yes::yes:

ZThomas - 8-25-2008 at 11:21 AM

A few older Mulege/Concepcion photos:

Frisbee and Dimas at the Roost

Sam, Frisbee and my mother (right) at the Hacienda. Don't recognize the other woman, but I'm sure someone here will.

Ramon at Dany's Taqueria, which I think was then officially called Asadero Ramon

Old Agustin's camp at the south end of Santispac

Agustin, not looking too happy about getting his picture taken, with Killer Cain's setup in the background

Agustin's canoe

capt. mike - 8-25-2008 at 05:38 PM

good fotos of John. i kind of miss him.
but then he misses himself too.

and Sue.... whoa........wooden leg...

ZThomas - have we met?

Lauriboats - 8-26-2008 at 10:03 AM

Roger,
Thanks for all of the great photos. I love your stories, looking forward to more of them and next years Pinto Bass Derby, see you soon. Lauri

ZThomas - 9-8-2008 at 09:08 PM

Mike,

If you spent much time at the Roost in the summers of 98, 99 or 00, chances are we have met. I lived down on the bay those summers, fished most mornings, spent most afternoons at the bar. Still get down to Mulege three or four times a year. I'm usually on the 25-foot center console Dusky called Pez Gordo.

Re: Sue--one of those summers, can't recall which, my car was in the shop for maybe a week and a half. John and Sue were living in a trailer at Posada then, and I caught rides into town with them several times. That was mildly scary, but I also had to catch rides home with them, and that was flat-out terrifying. Still, they were always entertaining, in their unique way, and always good to me. I even took them fishing a few times, which was pretty damn funny...

ZT

capt. mike - 9-9-2008 at 07:14 AM

well guess we might have met then.

bajaboolie - 9-9-2008 at 09:34 AM

Pompano,

I enjoyed the pictures and information about Asadero Dany's. My family and I go there every visit. Last year we were there for lunch and dinner every day! Lorena and Juan are great. I mentioned that it was my husband's birthday during lunch, and by dinner they made him a cake. So sweet.

Anyway, I understand you have a place on Coyote Bay? We'll be there for a week in October. Maybe we'll meet you (or maybe we've met before?).

Pompano - 10-21-2008 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaboolie
Pompano,

I enjoyed the pictures and information about Asadero Dany's. My family and I go there every visit. Last year we were there for lunch and dinner every day! Lorena and Juan are great. I mentioned that it was my husband's birthday during lunch, and by dinner they made him a cake. So sweet.

Anyway, I understand you have a place on Coyote Bay? We'll be there for a week in October. Maybe we'll meet you (or maybe we've met before?).

bajaboolie..

Yes, I live in Bahia Coyote and we may indeed have met before. I know Antonio and Lorena very well..and Antonio's father before him. They are part of what makes Baja my favorite haunt. Please stop by for a visit or an overnight when in the Bay. Mi casa es su casa y the cervezas very cold.

NOW...on with Mulege Mirrors ..a photo tour of a Baja village

NEWS FLASH! THE UGLIEST SHOES IN THE WORLD LIVE IN MULEGE!

Those hairy legs could only belong to a fellow Nomad...it must be......??

[Edited on 12-8-2013 by Pompano]

Making cement blocks by hand

Pompano - 12-8-2008 at 10:01 PM

If Norman Rockwell could only have discovered Mulege..

I could hang around places like this way too long.

Need some plain blocks? I bought my first cement blocks from Sr. Augustine Castro about 20 years ago. Prices have risen a little, but so has his expertise in making a good solid block.

18"long X 6"wide X 8" high = 8.5 pesos each

He also has patio and walk pavers. Very reasonable prices.

Augustine's block yard is located up the Mission Road in Mulege...past the baseball field..past the tienda..first left..and it's on the right about a half block up that street. .
Augustine

"The Barber of ..Mulege"

Pompano - 12-19-2008 at 08:46 AM

I used to get my hair cut about once a winter when in Baja, but back then it meant a boring trip from Mulege to Sta. Rosalia. Nowadays, we have many more options.

I was minding my own business in Manuel Cuesta's tienda the other day, squeezing the cantalopes, when he and his wife chided me for my need of a haircut.

So..I went next door to his daughter Denise's and told her that her dad was a real putz, but give me a haircut anyway.

I dunno...this could have gone for another month or so..waddya think? Denise took this pic for me.

Denise's salon is comfy, but could use some spitoons and cigars...and where's the beer cooler?

Okay...enough kidding around. For the best haircut you will ever get for 10 bucks, give Denise a try. She's a great hair cutter & stylist.

Here's the hair salon and the putz's tienda.

Mulege Mirror 1996

roundtuit - 12-19-2008 at 01:55 PM

More Mulege Mirror

roundtuit - 12-19-2008 at 02:28 PM

Did anyone notice....

Mexray - 12-19-2008 at 10:25 PM

...on page '4' of the 'Mulege Mirror' posted above, there was the following item...

"At Coyote: Roger was seen hitch-hiking with a N$20
attached to a sign. wonder if he got a ride. Speaking
of Roger, I understand that U-Haul contacted him.
they thought he was a competitor."

[Edited on 12-20-2008 by Mexray]

Pompano - 12-20-2008 at 07:48 AM

Hey, nice touch, roundtuit.. I'll have to scrounge a bit for some more old Mulege Mirror copies...I know I put them away somewhere.

Mexray...there are so many, many Roger's in the Bay. :rolleyes:

capt. mike - 12-20-2008 at 08:14 AM

are you kidding me??!! ten bucks for a hair cut in mulege??:O

Pompano - 12-20-2008 at 08:21 AM

Mike..I was a little off in my post..I got more than just a haircut.

Denise gave me a
- shampoo
- haircut
- moustache
- eye brows
- ears
- and nostril hair trim..ahem.

...for which she charged me 100 pesos...quite less than $10 USD today..I gave her 120 pesos with tip...making it almost $10 USD.

Now that's a damn good rate.

[Edited on 12-20-2008 by Pompano]

Bob H - 12-20-2008 at 08:27 AM

Wow, if you love Mulege, like we do, this is one fantastic thread. Thanks a million Pompano. You have a wonderful photo history posted here. I can't imagine the number of photos you must have on hand over the years.
Bob H

Pompano - 12-20-2008 at 08:41 AM

Thanks, Bob.... I love Mulege and Baja, too, plus I'm a camera bug. Have been since my Brownie Hawkeye days.

Photo number would be a good guess at best right now, but I could easily find out, I suppose. This Baja photo-disc I have in the computer today shows there are 3532 photos on it. I've got 5 other discs done and a few more to do from old and new camcorder recordings...my fun winter project for when the winds keep me off the water.

Terry28 - 12-20-2008 at 12:52 PM

Pompano, as you seem to be the keeper of local lore, any chance you knew or have any photos of David Chaney? he was our neighbor and friend at Buenaventura before his early passing...quite a character and a interesting guy...

Pompano - 12-20-2008 at 12:59 PM

Terry28, I am no keeper of local lore by anybody's imagination. Just been here a while and have done some things.

I did know Chaney both here and in Pacific Beach. He was indeed an interesting character. Loved vodka, playing his guitar, and would often entertain lots of us at Bertha's and the old Hacienda in town.

I have some photos of him playing and singing. Will try to find them and post here after the holidays.

How big...

Dave - 12-20-2008 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Denise gave me a
-nose trim

was it? ;D

Pompano - 12-20-2008 at 02:34 PM

Dave...so okay, I could use an editor.:tumble:

capt. mike - 12-20-2008 at 04:24 PM

sounds like a deal then to me brother!

SUNDAY, MARCH 8, 2009 - Today in Mulege - 2009 Chili Cook-Off

Pompano - 3-8-2009 at 08:33 PM

Mulege Chili Cook-off

It happened today in Mulege. Sorry if you missed it, because it is always a fun affair. This was first organized by locals and gringos over 20 years ago, and now held for the last few years in the central square and sponsored by the Rotary Club, it attracts crowds of Baja folks..locals and visitors from neighboring towns alike.

The money raised goes to support some great charities for the area. Prizes are awarded for the many various chili recipes, salsas, best costumes, and best decorated chili stands. Lots of awards and prizes are donated by local businesses. Raffle tickets along with chili tickets are sold on the spot.

I got there a little late, but bought a bunch of tickets and sampled about a dozen different chili concoctions. Some of which I wanted seconds on, which is surprising for me as I am a purist and eat TRUE CHILI..which means NO BEANS! That aside, the chili recipes were painstakingly prepared and brought to the village square. One ticket = one cup of chili to sample...or salsa if you go that route.

It was a very fun event and all had a rowsing good time! It's part of the reason I love Mulege so much and for so long. It's got terrific people who are so community-minded. The particiapants are almost equaled divided between local citizens and foreigners. Most of the area restaurants had stands. The cook-off is organized and supported by the local Rotary Club.

Now here's a photo show of today's Chili Cook-off 2009.

Parking was no problem with the new parking areas under the bridge. Traffic directors were on duty to help you find a place. Just a short walk to the central square.

First thing you do is find the ticket desk next to the gazebo. This a Mulege Rotary sponsored event for charity.

I have always loved spending tranquil times eating one of Dimas' shrimp tacos on the benches under the shade trees, sampling the chili... and enjoying the square's other benefits...

There were prizes for the best costumes and decorated chili stands.

And other prizes for charm, exuberance, and best smelling chili servers.
These Nomads won a couple of events. Nice folks, these.

And Roz's chili was reputed to be VERY good. Sadly, it was all gone by the time I got there. But..I did score some purple.

Prizes for the best salsa.

Note: The photo op where you put your head into the cut-out was also very popular. (And this to lady "A" .. I tried to email your requested pic of you and 2 friends in that cut-out, but it came back as bad address...please advise via email and I will send it to you.)

Here's Olivia and Briana of Playa Buenaventura at the cutout:

All in all, a very fun event. Try to make it next year, you won't regret it! It's another great way to meet your Mexican neighbors and support some worthy charitable projects.

Terry28 - 3-9-2009 at 10:23 AM

It looks like every gringo for miles around was there...good times..

Pompano - 3-9-2009 at 10:27 AM

You bet, Terry28....good times for sure. And I noticed some of the Buenaventura residents were present. Hi to Olivia.

rpleger - 3-9-2009 at 01:03 PM

Sorry I missed it, but I had to watch NASCAR...

YOU MAY NEED A CAR WASH AND SOME FOOD.

Pompano - 4-1-2009 at 06:16 AM

Are you tired of kids doodling dust art on your dirty rear window?

Do you recognize your neighbor's writing? .. 'Wash Me!' .. 'Lavar!' written backwards on your windshield?

Does the interior smell like a wild west saloon?
Can you hear glass bottles clicking when you turn a corner?
Is there a resident pack rat?

Do you know the actual color of your pickup?

Is your stomach growling?

Well...You may need a car wash and some food.

When in Mulege try this place. It's a family affair. On highway, north end of Mulege. Can't miss it.

Mario Yee and wife run the restaurant part. Thier barbequed pollo is deelicious..and the tacos..and the tortas..and the

Fernando Yee (right) son of Mario, runs the car wash part along with his worker, Cesar.

"Hey, Rogelio..what's the name of your rat?"

Here Cesar makes that 350,000 mile Dodge look new again.

Customers get to sit in the cool shade and enjoy thier meals while the rig is being washed.

"You were right, Rogelio..it's white."

With a good tip, it's a dang fine thang! ;D

HURRICANE NORBERTO...The Storm

Pompano - 4-19-2009 at 12:30 PM

MULEGE'S VARIABLE WEATHER

NOV 2008 - HURRICANE NORBERTO...The Storm

Storms, hurricanes, floods, washouts...Mother Nature's fury!

..and sometimes a surprise ending!

Dateline: November 10, 2008 The Road to Mulege

It was a dark and stormy night. Well.. almost..it was a dark and stormy day, though.

I'm on the Baja Highway, driving a motorhome through ever-blackening skies, enroute to my home in Coyote Bay.

Around El Rosario my XM sat radio fades out due to the presence of outer space aliens that are known to frequent that area...and it starts to rain ...coming down in sheets.

Eerily, there was hardy any other traffic...very omninous and that awareness sent a nice shiver through my imagination while peering into the pounding rain. I had heard that Hurricane Norberto was on it's way and due to strike Baja Sur about...now...shiver, shiver.

I pull over during a particularily hard deluge..seeking safety amongst the rocks near Catavina. Then a chill goes up my spine as I squint out through my pelted windows and spot the aliens amongst the cactus ..There! Can you see them!! They've been stalking me..again.

I wisely decided to take my chances on The Road again, rather than submit to any more abductions by the aliens..once was enough back in the 60's. Though my memory of that time is oddly vague, I do remember being hungry a lot.

Now the vados and depressions were fast filling with fast flood water really fast. Seeing this, I remember the thought, "This could mean Fast Flash Floods!" flashing through my mind. The dreaded FFF!

Thank God I have packed flash flood survival gear. Note: next trip pack kayak on TOP of vehicle.

I pass up this chance at a motel. Hey, I'm in a motorhome, for criss-sakes!

Back into the fray and keep my eyes peeled for traffic in this low visibility. My fine-tuned hunter's senses are sharp and alert..I'll be safe.

I saw no other traffic at all that day..luckily, the road was deserted except for me. I relaxed and drove on.

Bob H - 4-19-2009 at 01:23 PM

Roger, I just love your photography! I had not seen the chili cook-off images until now - that seems like a fun time for sure.

The storm pictures were moving and actually put a tear in my eye.

Bob H

eetdrt88 - 4-19-2009 at 01:32 PM

killer storm pics,my buddy and i drove thru John and had some of the most memorable baja moments of all time,we drove thru a few sections of road where it was a real river up to the windows deep,almost the entire road into Abreojos was under water,talk about an adrenalin rush:o

BajaGringo - 4-19-2009 at 01:49 PM

More great photos Roger and always so appreciated. As soon we get the new place completed and set up we have promised ourselves a couple of weeks off down on the southern side of the peninsula. Your neck of the woods is definitely on the list and your photo-stories really add a lot of life to the region we look forward to discovering for ourselves.

Kudos my friend...

Nov 2008 - Hurricane Norberto continues....

Pompano - 4-19-2009 at 05:37 PM

Now it's November 10th and I'm driving across the Mulege bridge. The rio looks normal at this point..no sign of any flooding from impending Hurriicane Norberto. The storm's epicenture is due to strike this part of Baja within 24 hours. I hurry on to the house to prepare for the worst.

We arrive at the house late that night and turn in. The wind is up a little and the skies are black...no stars out tonight.

We wake up to a gray sunrise...and what really looks like the eye of the hurricane out there! .

Of course, its' not, because the full force of Norberto has not yet struck...still a ways out there. As the day commences the clouds get darker, with more density and an ominous look.

The mountains behind the house are laden with low clouds and we start getting some rain and some wind..we are bracing ourselves and hope the old, but trusty, hurricane clips keep the roof on one more time.... We mix a quick c-cktail just in case we don't have time later.

Then Norberto is upon us and strikes will full force....with a resounding...
... Poof!
nothing..no big wind, no big rain, nada here in Coyote Bay.

HURRICANE NORBERTO...The Storm That Wasn't!!

It was a bit of a letdown to our hurricane watch, although a pleasant one. Hurricane Norberto was pretty much a dud for this locale. Much ado about nothing in the Conception Bay area, which was okay with us. We'd experienced the destruction of Hurricane Juan. :no:

Well, we got a nice little splattering of rain and had a fun Hurricane party out on the patio, nevertheless. :yes:

...and that's Mulege Weather for you. Go figure! :spingrin:

Ken Bondy - 4-19-2009 at 05:48 PM

Roger did you ever know Denise $$$ (can't remember last name)? She was an American expat who, with her Mexican husband, owned Tiffany's Pizza in Loreto. Tiffany was her daughter's name. We did several Mag Bay whale trips with her, but I have lost touch with her over the years. Just wondering if she's still in Loreto.

Pompano - 4-19-2009 at 05:59 PM

Ken, sorry but my memory banks are only so good. I do recall a Denise but for some reason I can't place her in a pizza parlor..which I'm sure I would have paid attention to..being an addict to pepperoni thin crusts. I 'think' the Denise I knew was a stewardess..but I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Ken Bondy - 4-19-2009 at 06:58 PM

Roger this was Denise 18 years ago:

And this was the original Tiffany's Pizza(s) in Loreto, also about 18 years ago:

Pompano - 4-19-2009 at 08:10 PM

Ken...sorry, but the Denise I remember was blonde. How was that pizza? Sorry to say, I never did get down to Loreto so much back in those days...too busy up here and at Pta. Chivato.

Oddly enough, your friend Denise looked similar to Mulege's Donno Moe's Pizza operator.

Donna and husband Sam.

[Edited on 4-20-2009 by Pompano]

PEOPLE - SAM AND DONNA MOE.jpg - 50kB

Ken Bondy - 4-20-2009 at 10:36 AM

Thanks Roger. Tiffany's pizza was damn good!! Plus they delivered!! That was really unique for Loreto at that time. Your pictures, for some reason, made me think of her, her daughter and her husband (they also owned a gift shop right across from the mission). Just curious if they were still in Loreto or if anyone remembered them.

Sharksbaja - 4-20-2009 at 10:45 AM

Really enjoyed this thread Roger. Particularly the stormy pictures that caused us so much pain. They capture the seriousness of Baja storms.

tripledigitken - 4-20-2009 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Roger this was Denise 18 years ago:

And this was the original Tiffany's Pizza(s) in Loreto, also about 18 years ago:

Looks alot like "Rosanne, Rosanne, Rosanna/Danna".

Celia's Cafe at Burros Beach..and El Patron by the Mulege Lighthouse

Pompano - 1-18-2010 at 11:14 AM

CAFE REPORT - CELIA'S AT BURROS BEACH AND EL PATRON BY THE LIGHTHOUSE

Wednesday, November 11, 2009.

CELIA'S

Our Excuse for being Tardy

A couple days ago, an old friend, Celia (on right), had invited us to her new beach cafe operation, Bertha's at Burros Beach try her new cuisine special on Wednesday nights..barbequed chicken. Both fans of anything pollo, we decided to do just that and marked it down on the fridge door pad..."Wed night, Celia's at Burros." We planned to not go so early as usual, because it is still a trifle warm for us at six o'clock..we would go at seven or so.

As it turned out, we got a little later start heading over to Bertha's at Burros Beach....
..our tardiness had something to do with testing martini olives - stuffed with pimento, garlic, almond, and bleu cheese - in Grey Goose on the rocks to make the best 'Dirty Martini.' Tradition spoke volumes. 2 giant pimento-stuffed olives with just a stain of olive juice on the iced Goose won hands down. Who would put cheese in a martini?? My Maltese pitbull wants to know.

While doing the olive test, we also had to walk down the beach to inspect neigbor Joe's progress on his storm-careened sloop, Springbok. He was sound asleep in the shade of the hull...good progress, Joe. During the entire length of the beach, our companion dogs, The Maltese Bros., had to test each successive beach dog's willingness to defend his territory. As I walked, the sounds of gulls above and barking below drowned out my favorite sound...ice clicking in my glass.

So you can see that All This takes time...and that is our tardiness excuse.

Back on track....We drove from Coyote to Burros to find Celia's/Bertha's beachside cafe completely packed..

Celia had done a very good job of advertising. The parking areas were jammed with cars, but I managed to turn our large vehicle around without a nudge or crunch. (note to pick up Jeep in Mulege as soon as I remember which taller has it.) All of Celia's tables, both inside and outside, were crammed with folks munching and wiping sauce off thier chins. The place will become very popular. Celia saw us and said to wait a sec, she'd steal a neighbor's patio set.. but we thought we'd try again next Wednesday...a little earlier this time with fewer olives! We'll come back soon, Celia, we promise...hey, you're almost next door.

It really was a nice night for a drive, so off to Mulege we went...in search of a dining adventure.
I drove our scenic curvy coast road into town, the full moon shining almost too brightly off to the right...then my co-pilot pointed out I had left the big flashlight on the dash and it was shining in my eyes. Smugness is just plain rude.

We cruise on into the hamlet of Mulege. Driving past cafes that we had eaten at countless times..all good. First to come into view was Saul's La Palapa..but we had just had some shrimp c-cktails there the previous afternoon..

..it was deliciously cool and tasty..
SAUL'S LA PALAPA

....great place and Saul IS a real gentleman, but we need something different tonight. Serinadad turnoff on the right, but I know Wednesday night is not our night for their combo Mexican plates, so we putt on into Mulege.

We waved to Dimas and his charming wife at his taco stand at the downtown square...a quick thought of Tacos?...but again we had just finished off some shrimp tacos there the other day. Good Job, Dimas! Muy bueno as always.

Driving past El Candil my co-pilot said No Way. We had eaten there on her first night in Mulege. Unfortunately, she had tripped and fell on an uncovered trench in the cafe floor and sprained her ankle..bummer, eh? Her low opinion of the fish dinner may have been a little biased after that experience. She is still a mite PO'ed. as she had to stay off the foot and her ankle had to remain bandaged for about a week. I mentioned the floor defect to Omar and hopefully it will be corrected soon before more injuries occur.

Suddenly I thought..Hey, great food, great proprietor, great ocean view, shrimp boats at anchor, a lighthouse, and great ambiance?....sounds like old Baja, right? ;D

You guessed it..We will be eating at El Patron...the Old Almeja out on the north river road across from the lighthouse and harbor master.

We headed out on the river road, passing Antonio and Lorena's Danny's carnitas cafe..which everybody knows is famous for Saturday brunches of delicious pork carnitas and my favorite..rancheros soup.
And yes, we had been there last Saturday! Let me just say...YUM.

But we on the scent now...and I forge ahead past Saul's Market, past Gringo's boat repair, past the detour to Loma Azul......what? past the detour?..carumba!..we back up after coming to a dead end caused by the flooding of Jimena...bump up over and around a few blocks and find our way throught the dark to come back down on the river road. Past some burning palm logs ..leftovers from the flood. Now past Pancho Villa cafe and bar...to finally throw out the anchor at El Patron...Almeja...the site of many a great night for the last 30 years.
We are in luck, because there was only 2 other groups ahead of us..and we quickly had drinks and food in front of us...thanks to our host, Tim and his lovely cook.

I ordered Almejas naturally...3 large scrumptuous and waistline deadly half-shell clams baked to perfection with a tangy cheese, spinach, and some cognac. Pacifico or course. Co-pilot had broiled shrimp in ajo sauce. I tried to cavalier a couple, but was unsuccessful. She said they were "divine and mine."

What a wonderful night with good old Baja amigos. Truly what it's all about. Bravo, El Patron!

We drove home with those thoughts to Coyote Bay. A gorgeous Baja Quarter Moon was shining in the dark sky. AND..it showed that it would hold water...ergo; I should fish manana!

Ah..that Moon...reminded me of this description: The moon looked like a discarded toenail clipping submersed in a puddle of saliva on a black formica countertop.

Well hey, so I had a little extra cognac. :rolleyes:

Buenas noches y buen apetito wherever you dine.

edit to time frame this post:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

======================================================

UPDATE JAN 18, 2010!

And still more benefits to eating at Mulege's cafes...

At Danny's the other day.

While having some great carnitas, you can...

Be a quick goalie for a street soccer game. It was a fluke, but I managed to snap this pic and kickreturn the ball at the same time. :yes:

And get your windows washed by the local CREAD crew.

..walk across the street to see Manuel's grandson, who's anxious to help out in the store. Now that's a fine family I am honored to know.

Plus you can do some handy veggie shopping....:rolleyes:

VIVA MULEGE!

MULEGE MIRROR - CAMERA WALK

Pompano - 3-17-2010 at 03:03 PM

MULEGE TOUR

"The Estuary" .....It's easy to see from this angle why that river floods so easily during torrential rains in the mountains. The natural 'V' of the Mulege valley makes for a deadly flash flood.

- MARCH 16, 2010
Ice & cold beer on highway near Pemex. Good prices and convenient for your trip to the Bay.

The old Palapa café. We fondly remember our old friend, Saul, and wish him well in La Paz.

Poolside bar at Serinadad. Unfortunately closed at the time of this photo. Being a Mulege oldtimer, I can remember when there was no pool bar. We didn't know how deprived we were!

River boating scene. This is where the fishing boat action starts....and ends.

'Tropical Cottages' at Orchid Park. Ah, Roberto...where forth art thou?

The Rooftops of Mulege....seen from the highway bridge.

You could find yourself walking back into Time...

Back on the main highway and in need of a car wash and great bbq chicken? Try Mario for the food...and his son for the wash.

Let's take a ride through the village, okay?

Hang on, here we go.

Trying not to hit the arch again...

I believe I can smell beer? Yes, I'm sure I can...very close.

Here is a gentle slope down into the village. Slow down and watch for pedestrians.

'Modelorama' Whenever I see this sign I think it's a movie theater.

We're headed past the downtown Pemex. Watch for the Stop sign ahead....Alto! As good a place as any to have an accident.

..or park and explore for treasure and education. Like this tourist who's getting sign language lessons by Miguel at La Tienda.

Our Chinese Connection. Hola to another Victor. His father was another old amigo of mine....filling my propane tanks over the years.
I also recall finding the best prices on rum here. Ron Palmas...sheesh and ugh.

Just in case. Basic medical help on the left.....and save your soul on the right.

Hungry? Let's drop into Antonio's and have some pork carnitas. Joining another old friend, Ricardo...fine fellow that he is.

A lady's man, of course.

Mulege is full of unique characters and you never know who or what you'll meet.

I met Sarah Palin. Had NO idea she could eat so much.

Francisco's Equipales Café is a great place for fine dining with an overhead view of the parade below.

To end this little tour, I need to put in a plug for my old fishing buddy...Mateo. He can get you on the fish...the rest is up to you.

*To be continued in some fashion or another...

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Pompano]

Cypress - 3-17-2010 at 03:11 PM

Pompano, Thanks for the photo tour of Mulege.:D

willyAirstream - 3-17-2010 at 05:13 PM

Thank You - THANK YOU

bajabass - 3-17-2010 at 06:19 PM

Great little tour Pompano. Mulege is a very special place. You are lucky to call it home!

Bob H - 3-17-2010 at 09:24 PM

Absolutely loved the Mulege tour. How is rebuilding along the river going?

It's great to see the town bouncing back!

Thanks Roger, Bob H

[Edited on 3-18-2010 by Bob H]

capt. mike - 3-18-2010 at 06:57 AM

Bob - i didn't take any pics for you.
the TOTAL devastation along the river, especially west end palapavilles/RV parks will blow your mind - noything like Juan - Jimena was another New Orleans level. katrina II

i was astonished. buildings wiped out and flattened. all the rubble is there from those who just walked. lost everything.
you would not believe it.

SOME PHOTOS OF POST-JIMENA DEVASTATION

Pompano - 3-18-2010 at 07:47 AM

Sad images...

We all hope this never happens again...and that proper precautions can be taken. Dikes, diversion....whatever it takes.

Hurricane Jimena

Pompano - 3-19-2010 at 05:37 AM

CONSTANTINE SCORES WITH JIMENA DAMAGE

I had put out an ad for someone to come and take away my storm-damaged boat barn. Lots of free building material to anyone that wanted to do the clean-up.

(Jimena's high winds finally did it in after 40 years of surviving other hurricanes, downpours, clumsy drivers backing boats, trailers, and motorhomes into it's walls, plus other forms of mayhem.)

Constantine, owner of one of Mulege's downtown tourist businesses, came to see what he could salvage. Congratulations, Constantine..and your wife. They needed the material to reconstruct thier Mulege house roof..which had blown away in the storm.

Constantine was true to his word and returned twice to clean up the area very neatly.

Gracias, amigo. Done deal.

bajabass - 3-19-2010 at 06:45 AM

It is REALLY nice when people do what they say they will do. Getting rarer and rarer up here!

Muluge Bomberos - Fire Dept.

Pompano - 3-19-2010 at 08:59 PM

TAKE THE MULEGE TOUR...

Pompano - 3-20-2010 at 11:03 AM

This place is worth another visit.

The Hacienda Hotel & Cafe. Very old, very unique.

Alfonso Cuesta, proprietor and gentleman of the old school.

Meeting some amigo-citizens...spending lots of pesos...

..while shopping & driving around town..

..buy some oysters....sigh...

..which means another visit to the local ATM...deeper sigh

We always need groceries. Among many other grocery stores, we frequent Saul's, and Manuel's, and Casa Yee, and Alba's, and.... the list goes on....

Thurday thru Saturday is dinner time out at Ray's La Habana restaurant. GOOD.

A local tv techie repairs a busted coax cable for me. Grrrracias, Pulpo/Octavio

A guy's place. Yee's Hardware. I need some rope and cement, ...and take a turn on the forklift.

Need a taxi? Check the town square. Old No. 19..Nacho. Carumba..if that taxi ever talks, I'll be in deep yogurt.

hmm...I may need to circle back to the ATM soon...

Shop some Segundo stores for those special gifts that you just can't find.

Don't forget to get the Jeep carb checked. Gracias, Polo.

Marcos is an expert auto-electric mechanic. And today fixes my electric windows. Also did 2 boat trailer light assemblies for me. Been using Marcos since the earth cooled.

Then take a moment to carefully arrange my workshop..

Ah...Manuel. What can one say? More than an amigo, a compadre. But compadre.where is my missing pig's leg? The one you butchered for me only had THREE.

Never mind, it's Xmas time, so here's an 'accurate' calculator for you...
...and thanks for helping me unload all that firewood!

Now I'm hungry, so let's go across the street from Manuel's to Dany's Carnitas. Yummm...Hey, how you doing, Zulema?

TO BE CONTINUED WHEN OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS.

willyAirstream - 3-20-2010 at 11:40 AM

yes, continue! Thanks for taking the hint amigo. Much appreciated!!

Bob H - 3-20-2010 at 12:44 PM

Roger, I'm really enjoying this thread.... any images of El Candil? Really miss that place.
Bob H

Cypress - 3-20-2010 at 01:14 PM

Pompano, Please continue! Any pics of Don Chano's?:D

Still hungry..heading for Dimas' Taco

Pompano - 3-20-2010 at 04:07 PM

For a real quick treat, try Dimas at the Taquitos Mulege stand at the square. He usually has shrimp and fish tacos. Very good fast food.

The proper way to eat a taco is...get it in your mouth.

Pompano - 3-20-2010 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Roger, I'm really enjoying this thread.... any images of El Candil? Really miss that place.
Bob H

Bob..I have lots of Candil photos. Here's a couple old ones of a friend walking outside the place, a route he took almost every day for many years.

Cypress...I have some photos of that place, too..and will try manana to put them here. Ciao.

MULEGE BUSINESSES & SIGHTS

Pompano - 3-21-2010 at 12:36 PM

Glass pane shop. Windows, ventanas. I had good luck here replacing many broken window panes from Jimena last season. Enter town and it's across from Mely's a bit on the left side. Good rates and fast service.

Here's one of the pure water stores in Mulege. A brisk business, naturally. Go on Thursday's for half-price. Water....a product everyone uses in quantity. I've heard that some hardy types even drink it straight.

Under the bridge you can find Mulege's Segundo tiendas..second-hand stores. Let me know if you come across old my old sheepskin coat...:rolleyes:

And right next to Segundo is this neat crafts display. I bought Pancho Villa's mummified head here. And also another from when he was a baby. Truly rare finds!

Yummm...! Tis the season for strawberries. Who's got bananas, ice cream, caramel, and a cherry?...drool...:light:

And..golf? Yes, Mulege's dirty little secret. We have a golf course..sigh.

Many years ago, I paid a small fortune for a local chart with all the favorite pango fishing holes marked on it..from my amigo, Xavier.

He has quite the sense of humor. I should have figured that grouper don't like mountaintops.

Hah..revenge is best served cold....I KNOW where you live, hombre.

More to come...we ain't done yet, folks. Mulege is full of stories. You might be next..

Bajahowodd - 3-21-2010 at 01:07 PM

Reading this thread is pure entertainment. The recent Mulege photos have me pining for a return trip. Got one question, however. That photo of you guys at the Serenidad pool bar... was that taken at like 10am Sunday while everyone was at church? No one else in sight.

Pompano - 3-21-2010 at 02:20 PM

(Howard, the Serinadad pool is definetely unoccuppied in the earlier hours of a winter morning..brrrr.)

A Nomad has/had this place for sale. One we seldom hear from anymore. Hello amigo, are you lurking?
You can get your fishing license laminated at the paper store..near the grocery store behind fire station..on the one-way that goes past the laundomat.

School's Out!

These are..without a doubt..some of the BEST corn tortillas in town. Norma's Finest Kind.

But I am sworn to never reveal the location.

Okay, you talked me into it. Find them in this cooler at Saul's Market.

Pages:  1    3