BajaNomad

Flying to Baja

fishbuck - 9-1-2008 at 03:00 PM

I have an aircraft scheduled for the some weekends in September. I got a called from my insructor inquiring as to the status of a trip I scheduled to B. Asuncion on Sept 13-15.

I am seeking people who want to fly down there with me and share the expense of a rental aircraft. It will be an even split by the number of occupied seats based on the actual expenses including the insurance, landing fees, aircraft rental, etc.

It is a little expensive compared to driving. But it is very fast and very relaxing and the view is fantastic. And there is no crime that I know of at 7500-8500 feet where we will be flying.

I haven't received any serious inquires so I will cancel the aircraft reservation for that weekend. Probably in the next few days if there is no interest.

I am going to fly to San Quintin in the next couple of weeks to finish the aircraft checkout and get my license current. I'll fly there with my instructor and it will be a 1 day practice run. I already have made a trip there including landing on my own private runway at Pedregal.

The locations that make sense for a light aircraft are.

San Filepe and nearby locations
Bola and San Fransiquito
Punta Chavato and Mulege
Ensenada and San Quintin
G. Negro and B. Asuncion

My primary goal is to fly to the spots where the fishing is best for the time of year and the weather is good. And the closest location to Brown Field to keep expenses to the minumum possible.

I've flown to Loreto and points south but it is really better to jump on an airliner for those locations.

So if anyone has any interest and has dates that they want to go on a trip please U2U me. I will reserve the aircraft for that time.

San Quintin is getting past it's fishing peak for this year but has maybe another month.
Bola is the next logical location and the points south.

I would really like to go visit Juan and Shari in B. Asuncion.

My plane is parked at Brown Field in San Diego. I will provide more detailed information to people who U2U me with serious interest.

Thanks for reading this thread! I hope we can go flying together!!!

palmeto99 - 9-1-2008 at 03:46 PM

OK, I will respond because everyone else is going to be polite .

No one in their right mind will fly halfway down to Baja with a rookie pilot in a rented plane to land on a dirt strip with a pilot who is trying to get some hours under his belt..

There , I said it. Now release the hounds....:lol::cool:

fdt - 9-1-2008 at 03:54 PM

I've done it !

Sure, I will respond (although it will be futile)

thebajarunner - 9-1-2008 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palmeto99

No one in their right mind will fly halfway down to Baja with a rookie pilot in a rented plane to land on a dirt strip with a pilot who is trying to get some hours under his belt..

Instead of your comments, which are non-reflective of the post in question, why not ask for more info.

Where does it say "rookie pilot'??
He says he is going to "get current"

My daughter resigned five months ago after five years as a United jet pilot- has not flown since- therefore is not current-
Would you call her a "Rookie Pilot"?

You should work harder on facts, and less on knee-jerk comments...

IMHO

woody with a view - 9-1-2008 at 03:57 PM

seems kinda fun. definately will put the pucker factor back into a baja trip.... we'll see in the future....

fishbuck - 9-1-2008 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palmeto99

Palmeto99,

I have asked you twice today already in U2U's to stop insulting me and harassing me in general. I have also reported you to BajaNomad 3 times today. One of your obnoxious posts was already deleted.
You may not want to fly with me and quite frankly I wouldn't take you anyway. So if you don't want to fly with me please mind you own business.
I will request that if you are not interested in flying with me please don't respond to this thread.

Thank you

KAT54 - 9-1-2008 at 04:03 PM

Some people are not so cowardly.

Palmetto99 (Pierce)
"Please do not retire in Mexico, visit Mexico, or invest in Mexico.
We will never return and are willing to give up what is ours just to be safe."
http://www.mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html

capt. mike - 9-1-2008 at 04:16 PM

right on Bajarunner!!

this palmetto99 character - what a killjoy! his life must be very boring & sad. does he ever have anything positive to say?

go for it Bucky. this is exactly how i got my baja experience. learning as i went and taking friends!
what a blast! well, hundreds - maybe a thousand by now - of baja flight hours later here i am still going and loving it!!

palmeto99 - 9-1-2008 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
Some people are not so cowardly.

Palmetto99 (Pierce)
"Please do not retire in Mexico, visit Mexico, or invest in Mexico.
We will never return and are willing to give up what is ours just to be safe."
http://www.mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html

Interesting except my name is Robert N. Estes and as I have posted on this board before ,I am in the book where I live. I also have my email posted and have communicated with many on this board through same email.
Shark and you have both accused me of being this Mr. Pierce in recent days and it is laughable at best.
Whats next,Baja gringo accusing me of being Nancy Conroy of newspaper fame.
Get a life .:lol::lol::lol:

cabobaja - 9-1-2008 at 04:41 PM

Sr. 99, overall your posts are negative at best. I posted earlier that the best way to respond to you is....not at all! Ignore YOU! Guess I did not follow my own advice. But, assure you from now on I will ignore you.

Hey Buck, go for it! Wish I could fly with you. Give my saludos to Juan & Shari..............have a great flight!!!

Osprey - 9-1-2008 at 06:20 PM

What insurors provide coverage for flights into Mexico to land on dirt strips with paying passengers? Do all you guys just "wing it?". Are you not "Carriers?" if you advertise you will trade space for money for gas?

I'm thinkin' Floyd's of London. Seems to me the self-respect level of those guys in cars hangin around the border with signs that say "I don't have gas money for my car. Please, stranger, serial killer, pay half the gas, I'll take you." are very suspect. So what does that tell us about Capt. Mike and others who can't seem to move off their home runway without money from strangers.

Very strange in deed. Most Nomads make sure they have gas money, beer money and get along very well without playing Mr. Taxi.

Grover is spot-on

thebajarunner - 9-1-2008 at 07:35 PM

What Fishbuck is doing is how we, in private aviation, operate.

Not sure why all the hecklers in the grandstand on this one,
it is the norm in General Aviation, and we all enjoy doing it.

And, I happen to know that he has between 400 and 500 hours of piloting in his log, and anyone past 80 or 100 would not longer be considered a "rookie."

As to the insurance, I flew my 172 Cutlass often into Mexico in the "good old days" and always informed my carrier, and had no problem,

Not sure where all this heat is coming from....

fishbuck - 9-1-2008 at 08:01 PM

These are all very valid questions and statements.
Skeets, I would love to fly with you as well as Capn Mike.
If anyone is interestd I have at least 50 Baja flying hours. I respect Skeets alot. Accident Inestigators know alot about what goes wrong and really are the guys who decide who gets to fly what and where.
My joke is that it's not the FAA who let's pilots fly it's the insurance company. A smart pilot reads as many accident reports as he can. As Skeets stated before, there is alot of pilot error. Really dumb stuff too in alot of crashes.
2 of the planes I used to fly got wrecked by other pilots. 1 was embarassing and the other fatal. Both pilot stupidity.
I have flown to many Baja locations including Loreto several times. Many dirt runways. All in PA32's. The same type of aircraft I will fly on most future trips to Baja.
It is 100% legal to share expenses for private aircraft trips. In fact it is the only way that I can do a trip like this. These planes are expensive to fly. But it's a great deal all around and really is alot of fun. You will experience Baja in a way that only the privileged would normally do it.
So we would be sharing more than just the expense. We would share a once in a lifetime adventure.

I have 1 confirmed share expense person. I need two more. The trip is to B. Asuncion. The date is open.

LET'S FLY!!!

Edited for spelling errors. I was cooking my Dorado as I was posting. The best fish I have ever eaten!
Except maybe the Calico Bass I shared with mi Bonita at Jardines last Saturday night.
But until you have enjoyed the sushi prepared by Shari in B. Asuncion you have not really eaten fresh sushi.
Jaun and I will be catching it for you just a few hours before she prepares it. We might even let you catch a fish or two.;D

[Edited on 9-2-2008 by fishbuck]

Sharksbaja - 9-1-2008 at 08:41 PM

Yes, Pierce does have a place on the east coast. That's known to a few folks in Mulege. Funny how a guy like Pierce knows everyone on a first name basis in Mulege yet he claims to have a place in Loreto.

I couldn't find your name "lookup" for Estes on that island. What was the name of that again?
Ok Pierce we'll call you Nancy if you prefer.:lol: Take yer pick of names, nobody believes what you say anyhoo.

Your signature says it all:

"There are days that I do not get along with some people. Todays not your day.
Tomorrows not looking good for you as well."

Fishbuck, what a nice thing to do. Wish I could play.

fishbuck - 9-1-2008 at 08:55 PM

Share Exspense passenger: "WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INSTRUMENT IN THE PLANE?"

Share Expense pilot: "THE HOBBS METER!" ( Clock that measures engine run time and is used to bill rental cost ).

"NO BUCKS, NO BUCK ROGERS" Some pilot dude.

:lol:

Coatlallope - 9-1-2008 at 09:16 PM

As I was reading through this thread, a number of things people said caught my eye as just being downright BS. First of all for Skeeter, who said he had more than 2,000 hours flying in Mexico. That was really interesting. Even in an old and slow taildragger that does 100MPH, that adds up to over 200,000 miles -- just in Mexico. That's a lot of miles, too many to possibly be true. Over the 40-years you claim to have been flying, you would have to have done about 5 roundtrips per year. Every year for 40 years. So, I took the liberty of looking you up. You signed a lot of your posts "Skeeter Haggerton". The FAA pilot database only has one Haggerton who is 77. Unfortunately, the FAA says you do not have a current medical, as you say you do. The last one you had was issued in the year 2000. You also only have a single-engine land license. No IFR, no commerical ratings, no instructors ratings. 6,000 hours on a private ASEL rating? The last straw is that you say you have been flying in Baja since 1967. The FAA says they didn't give you a license until 1972.

As for the next guy, Grover. He referenced a link to an operation which he said had a Part 135 license (air taxi). The website says it is a Mexican corporation. Mexican corporations don't have Part 135 certificates. Can't even get one. For one thing, a Part 135 operator has to use only US registered aircraft, and a foreign corporation cannot own a US registered aircraft. Oh and airlines do not operate under part 91. Part 91 are the general operating and flignt rules. Airlines operate mainly under Part 121.

The other part about a private pilot sharing expenses was just about correct, as long as you are operating in US airspace. Has anybody checked what the Mexican Aviation Regulations say about a private pilot collecting money from his passengers for their share of the operating costs for operating in Mexico? The FAR's do not apply in Mexico. It just so happens that Mexico is a signatory to the ICAO, so it recognizes your US pilot's license as valid, as well as your US airworthiness certificate for the aircraft.

As for Fishbuck, to be legal to go to Mexico and pay your instructor to sit with you, which makes it a commerical flight, you need a written permit five days in advance of the flight from DF. And yes, I know nobody does it.

Osprey seemed to be closer to the truth about you guys.

Diver - 9-1-2008 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Coatlallope
As I was reading through this thread, a number of things people said caught my eye as just being downright BS. First of all for Skeeter, who said he had more than 2,000 hours flying in Mexico. That was really interesting. Even in an old and slow taildragger that does 100MPH, that adds up to over 200,000 miles -- just in Mexico. That's a lot of miles, too many to possibly be true. Over the 40-years you claim to have been flying, you would have to have done about 5 roundtrips per year. Every year for 40 years. So, I took the liberty of looking you up. You signed a lot of your posts "Skeeter Haggerton". The FAA pilot database only has one Haggerton who is 77. Unfortunately, the FAA says you do not have a current medical, as you say you do. The last one you had was issued in the year 2000. You also only have a single-engine land license. No IFR, no commerical ratings, no instructors ratings. 6,000 hours on a private ASEL rating? The last straw is that you say you have been flying in Baja since 1967. The FAA says they didn't give you a license until 1972.

As for the next guy, Grover. He referenced a link to an operation which he said had a Part 135 license (air taxi). The website says it is a Mexican corporation. Mexican corporations don't have Part 135 certificates. Can't even get one. For one thing, a Part 135 operator has to use only US registered aircraft, and a foreign corporation cannot own a US registered aircraft. Oh and airlines do not operate under part 91. Part 91 are the general operating and flignt rules. Airlines operate mainly under Part 121.

The other part about a private pilot sharing expenses was just about correct, as long as you are operating in US airspace. Has anybody checked what the Mexican Aviation Regulations say about a private pilot collecting money from his passengers for their share of the operating costs for operating in Mexico? The FAR's do not apply in Mexico. It just so happens that Mexico is a signatory to the ICAO, so it recognizes your US pilot's license as valid, as well as your US airworthiness certificate for the aircraft.

As for Fishbuck, to be legal to go to Mexico and pay your instructor to sit with you, which makes it a commerical flight, you need a written permit five days in advance of the flight from DF. And yes, I know nobody does it.

So..... Skeet is full of BS.
What else is new ?? :lol:

And Fishbuck is doing fine; just assumed not to know what he is doing, again. :no: :lol:

You guys are too much !!

[Edited on 9-2-2008 by Diver]

fishbuck - 9-1-2008 at 09:25 PM

Ya, well you can turn me in if you want to. I'm still doing it.
But thanks for all the useless information. My guess is that no one in Mexico would care about it much.
I caught the Part 91 thing too but I didn't really care that much about it.
And please don't pick on Skeets. I like Skeets.:yes:

Call the FAA- turn me in, pronto

thebajarunner - 9-1-2008 at 09:25 PM

Quote:

Early on, some of my most fun instruction was paying my CFI to sit alongside whilst we went to Serinadad, to San Felipe, to Guaymas....
YIKES!!!
We were, likely, breaking international law.
Guess when this gets vetted I will never be able to run for Vice President....
Alas................

Coatlallope - 9-1-2008 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
We were, likely, breaking international law.

Well, it sounds like you were only breaking Mexican law. And we already know there are no Mexican laws that are actually enforced on any kind of consistent basis.
;-D
What troubles me is that people who are here supposedly to help and advise people on Mexico are just staring into your baby blue eyes and lying. Like, WTF?

Sharksbaja - 9-1-2008 at 09:51 PM

Welcome to BajaNomads!;)

Diver - 9-2-2008 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Diver: Still the Same old Diver.

When are you going to Grow up and be a Big Boy instead of a Little Man???

Skeet/Loreto{Ole Timer}

And still the same old Skeet....
Ah Skeet, on with the name-calling again. :smug:
Oh yeh, I forgot it's ok for the elderly. :lol:
Diver {Big Man} :P

Osprey - you are such a nabob......

capt. mike - 9-2-2008 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
What insurors provide coverage for flights into Mexico to land on dirt strips with paying passengers? Do all you guys just "wing it?". Are you not "Carriers?" if you advertise you will trade space for money for gas?

I'm thinkin' Floyd's of London. Seems to me the self-respect level of those guys in cars hangin around the border with signs that say "I don't have gas money for my car. Please, stranger, serial killer, pay half the gas, I'll take you." are very suspect. So what does that tell us about Capt. Mike and others who can't seem to move off their home runway without money from strangers.

Very strange in deed. Most Nomads make sure they have gas money, beer money and get along very well without playing Mr. Taxi.

What??!! The rules for medical and liability 3rd person coverage insurance in USA and Mexico are very clear. you are either in compliance or not.
i assure you as an active member of the Flying Samaritans and PRIVATE (read non commercial!) pilot flying in baja i am fully covered and have to PROVE it at each entry at a mexican AOE uppon arrival. Why don't you ask a simple question from the standpoint of wanting to know answers instead of your typical accusatorial stance of a curmudgeon?

And, Mexico follows ICAO guidelines for non comm'l cost sharing as defined in FAA part 91 rules for flying. Fishbuck is talking about shared costs here not part 135 comm'l ops.
just as we do monthly for the Sams - have you ever split gas and expenses with friends on a road trip? Probably not as who'd want to ride with a sour puss? well if you did its the same principle for air cars and legal so long as it is a not for profit endeavor.

get a clue before you spout. and BTW - i fly all the time for business and pleasure - and without shared cost pax - and sometimes i take people and we split. there are dozens here on nomads past and present that have enjoyed such trips. why not? if you think i stay at home unless i can extort money from a 3rd party to go somewhere you have no idea about my life so how about refrain from bringing up my name in your ridculous therories and diatribe.

see a specialist...take some nabob pills. it might help.:barf:

Coatlallope - 9-2-2008 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
The Medical was just done last week and is not yet on File. Shame on You.!!

That's kinda funny, because 3 weeks ago on 8/11/2008 you told Caboron that you just got your medical.

Quote:
Skeet/Loreto
posted on 8-11-2008 at 06:01 PM

Old Bitter, twisted,
How about a Challenge CaboRon?

First Can you fly an Airplane? I can and just got my current Medical. Let you and I go Flying, I will furnish the Airplane, you furnish the Fuel. I know several Strips that you and I can go into for some good Fishing and Fun.
First will be Pt. Pulpito 1200 Feet{after the rocks are cleared!

Ready to go??

ASecond, let us go to Bishop Calif, I have a friend with a TG 2 Glider that takes two Peop[le, I will Buy, all you have to do is ride in the right Seat.

Next, Let you and I enter the Contest at sweetwater Texas at the Largest Rattlesnake Roundup in the World!, I will bet you $1,000 Cash that I can take more Rattlers than you in any given 12 Hour Period!!

Talk or Act???

Anon The Preacher

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=33050&pag...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zx4foo&s=4

That's right out of the FAA database today.

Osprey - 9-2-2008 at 08:08 AM

capt, sure hope you don't get this excited in the c-ckpit. You got so worked up you confused me with somebody else. A nabob is "a person of wealth and prominence".

Stay frosty. Might get a chance to fly.

capt. mike - 9-2-2008 at 08:43 AM

you're right - i picked the incorrect word.
worked up? hardly - i just enjoy correcting the record or facts.

fishbuck - 9-2-2008 at 09:02 AM

Soo...

These posts are all very entertaining.

Anyway. I'm still trying to put together some trips.

San Quintin and Bola still have about a months worth of good fishing left and are the least expensive and quickest trips. I would say Bola fishing will last a bit longer than San Q. Maybe through October
Next would be either Mulege or B. Asuncion. I'm guessing they would be good until about Thanksgiving or so.
So we still have some very good fishing left this year and the weather will be warm but not too hot. Good clear flying weather too mostly.
I would like to get in a short 2-3 day trip to either San Q or Bola towards the end of Sept.
We could do it on a Sat-Sun no problem. Fly in Sat morn and fish Sun and then fly home Sun afternoon. Or we could ad a day on either end and make it a 3-day.
Your sleek private aircraft is waiting! Let's fly!!!

Wow

Lee - 9-2-2008 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
I've no dog in this fight, but I would like to say, you guys crack me up! Thanks for the entertainment. :lol:

--Larry

Me too. I'm continually amazed at how many smart people there are here. Fascinating. Thanks ya'll.

Coatlallope - 9-2-2008 at 10:23 AM

Quote:

Your records are all Messed up, and I would suggest that some of the Faa and NTSB records are not current.

Oh, so now the FAA records are messed up? Didn't you just have a triple-bypass in May? That's what you posted here. Did you know that the FAA will not even CONSIDER issuing a medical to someone with a by pass until 6 months after the operation? It's in the medical examiners standards:

"Applicants for first-, second-, or third-class certificates who have had myocardial infarctions, episodes of angina pectoris, cardiac valve replacement, permanent cardiac pacemaker implantation, or who have undergone coronary artery bypass surgery or angioplasty may be considered for Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate (Authorization) after 6 months have elapsed since the event or the surgery. This 6-month period is to allow for stabilization and recovery.

Applicants for any class of certificate who have a history of coronary heart disease must provide the FAA with complete pertinent hospital and other medical records, including admission and discharge summaries, daily progress notes, copies of all electrocardiograms, reports of other diagnostic and treatment procedures, laboratory reports, and outpatient progress notes. Records are required for nonsurgical admissions as well as for surgical admissions. (See Protocol for Evaluation of Coronary Heart Disease, Appendix B, page 27)"

http://www.leftseat.com/ame993.htm#Page%2048

So, Skeeter, is it still your position that you, a 77-year old man, hold a fresh and current FAA medical, three months after a triple-bypass operation? Is that your story and are you sticking to it?

So, can I have my $10,000 check now? Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

capt. mike - 9-2-2008 at 11:44 AM

i think you have to escrow the $10K. as does he.
Skeet's offer of a bet was in ref to his flying hours as i read the above post. not about currency today or his part 61 status.

any FSDO could be the arbitor here. why don't you both escrow the money and publish the results? let Doug here hold the $$$ and release it to the winner based on the accounting by FAA?

my side bet is on Skeet. he has tons of experience. plus he has the time in life to accululate the time in the saddle.:tumble:

mtgoat666 - 9-2-2008 at 12:45 PM

You pilots are all elderly, but you sound like a bunch of testosterone-charged teenagers comparing your johnsons :lol: Don't think i would care to fly with any of you until you show a bit more maturity.

Coatlallope - 9-2-2008 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Skeet's offer of a bet was in ref to his flying hours as i read the above post. not about currency today or his part 61 status.

OK Mike, let's see if we have this straight. You know and I know that logbooks are maintained only by the pilot. Skeet could put anything he wants in there. He got his ASEL private license in 1972 and has never upgraded. So, the last time the FAA ever even had occasion to look at his logbook was in 1972. We already know he is a liar, because he has now twice posted he has a current medical when the FAA says he does not and he had a triple bypass 3 months ago, which precludes the issuance of a medical.

So the bet is $10,000 that a known liar can produce a logbook maintained solely by himself that shows 6,000 hours of flight time, right?

So, what is this, an IQ test for dummies?

You may think he has lots of experience, I don't. He says he towed gliders for 3 years. How did a private pilot legally get compensated for towing gliders? It would be illegal even if they just paid his gas. How does that work, Mike?

He says he flew all over the Northwest and Alaska in a Commanche 260 on business. The Northwest goes IFR for weeks on end. How in hell did a non-instrument rated pilot do all that? And keep business appointments? Do you have any idea?

Do you guys ever use your brains for anything other than to keep your ears apart?

woody with a view - 9-2-2008 at 01:06 PM

Quote:

Do you guys ever use your brains for anything other than to keep your ears apart?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sorry, but that's good stuff...

Cypress - 9-2-2008 at 02:04 PM

I'd be inclined to take Skeet/Loreto's advice about flying down around Baja. Regarding his flying experience? Who knows? His opinion about the quality of fishing in the Sea of Cortez is way off, maybe 20 yrs. or so.

Ken Bondy - 9-2-2008 at 04:25 PM

This, in his own words, is Skeet's bet:

"I will Post $10,000 Cash Bond at any Bank.
You Post $10,000 Cash Bond at any Bank.

Let any Third Party group of Pilots, FAA, Insurance Adjusters inspect my Log Books and The Offical Records.If it does not show that I have over 2,000 Hours Flying time across the Border and another 4,000 Flying the State, Canada, and Alaska You win the MOney."

The way I read it is he saying he has 4000 total hours (presumably PIC) and of that 2000 hours is in Mexico. I am presuming that "flying time across the Border" means hours logged within Mexico, i.e., 2000. I don't see where his wager has anything to do with the currency of his medical.

Skeet am I understanding your bet correctly?? This is so much fun it should be illegal.

++Ken++

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2008 at 04:31 PM

faa records show that ted and debra own that plane
last name LACOMETTE
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbert...

i thought your last name was haggerton???
skeet did someone sell you plane without telling you???

LancairDriver - 9-2-2008 at 04:34 PM

How in the hell does a simple offer for an airplane ride to share fuel expenses degenerate into name-calling, personal attacks on so many individuals?
To bad this discussion doesn't take place in some bar in Baja where it could be continued outside. On second thought, without the safety of hiding behind the keyboard, the discussion would undoubtedly be more civil.

ELINVESTIG8R - 9-2-2008 at 04:48 PM

cabobaja - 9-2-2008 at 05:16 PM

Yep.....interesting but I am totally confused. Would I fly with Mike, Buck or Skeet, yes. I am in Elias Calles. Can one of you come and pick me up and take me to Juan and Shari's to fish. Drove there 1 1/2 months ago. 12 hours. I'd rather fly!

Von - 9-2-2008 at 05:22 PM

Man! Who gives a s...t! If I had time and some money id go with my bajanomad friend! I dont give a s...t! about no stinking logs and FAA books

REal Bajanomads dont worry about that crap... go to some other website and argue......or just watch and learn or try to be witty.

WE SHOULD JUST IGNORE THIS GUY AND GO ON WITH OUR PEACE,,,,

cabobaja - 9-2-2008 at 05:33 PM

Von, could not have said it better. I will repeat, Mike, Buck, Sheet.....will fly with you anytime. Can you come and pick me up? Von, wanna go! We'll have the Baja experience of a life time!:D

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2008 at 05:41 PM

mike flew me to la paz and back on thanksgiving day!!!

totally professional:saint::saint:

Osprey - 9-2-2008 at 06:06 PM

Lancairdriver, you seem like a sensible guy if I judge you by your posts in the past.

Help us see who you and the other pilots really are. What, if I choose, as my board handle, Big Swimming Pool owner, or Big House Owner, or Really Tricked out SUV owner/driver/painter racer I'm badder, better than you are guy. Are you following me so far? Lancairdriver? Is that you? Who will you be when you sell the Lancair and buy a Cessna? Cessnadriver? Big expensive Cessna driver? Maybe later, "I'm rich and better than you other people who are Volkswagon drivers"

cabobaja - 9-2-2008 at 06:37 PM

Von, could not agree with you more. July I drove 12 hours from Elias Calles to fish with Juan and enjoy his and Shari's hospitality. I would rather fly with Mike, Buck or Skeet and save 9 hours. If one of them will will fly here and pick me up, do you want to come with us?:D

Bob H - 9-2-2008 at 06:56 PM

A blurb from this link explains what a coatlallope is. Watch out "no one who treads on snakes"!

http://www.catholic.org/about/guadalupe.php

"Call me and call my image Santa Maria de Guadalupe".
It's believed that the word Guadalupe was actually a Spanish mis-translation of the local Aztec dialect. The word that Mary probably used was Coatlallope which means "one who treads on snakes"! Within six years of this apparition, six million Aztecs had converted to Catholicism. The tilma shows Mary as the God-bearer - she is pregnant with her Divine Son. Since the time the tilma was first impressed with a picture of the Mother of God, it has been subject to a variety of environmental hazards including smoke from fires and candles, water from floods and torrential downpours and, in 1921, a bomb which was planted by anti-clerical forces on an altar under it. There was also a cast-iron cross next to the tilma and when the bomb exploded, the cross was twisted out of shape, the marble altar rail was heavily damaged and the tilma was...untouched! Indeed, no one was injured in the Church despite the damage that occurred to a large part of the altar structure.

Coatlallope - 9-2-2008 at 07:50 PM

Boy, these threads sure do go South in a hurry.
:lol:

LancairDriver - 9-2-2008 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Lancairdriver, you seem like a sensible guy if I judge you by your posts in the past.

Help us see who you and the other pilots really are. What, if I choose, as my board handle, Big Swimming Pool owner, or Big House Owner, or Really Tricked out SUV owner/driver/painter racer I'm badder, better than you are guy. Are you following me so far? Lancairdriver? Is that you? Who will you be when you sell the Lancair and buy a Cessna? Cessnadriver? Big expensive Cessna driver? Maybe later, "I'm rich and better than you other people who are Volkswagon drivers"

A lot of pilots remember an airplane before a name or face. ie;"Oh yeah- you were the guy flying the 182 at Serenidad." Thus the handle LancairDriver, OK?(Incidently, there are a lot of airplanes flown to Baja that are a lot more expensive than a Lancair. I see a lot of handles here identifying off roaders, as well as pictures of really tricked out obviously expensive rigs, so I'm not in a peeing contest for who has the most bucks or what you may choose to spend it on. Like most Nomads, I'm mainly interested in what is happening in Baja and enjoy the wealth of information people such as David K and many others have to generously and with class, offer to those of us who haven't had the time or opportunity to spend nearly enough time in Baja. I am disappointed to see a thread that has the beginnings of an honest request for information or contribution turning into a name-calling diatribe that adds nothing.

A lot of wisdom for a Junior Nomad

thebajarunner - 9-2-2008 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:

A lot of pilots remember an airplane before a name or face. ie;"Oh yeah- you were the guy flying the 182 at Serenidad." Thus the handle LancairDriver, OK?(Incidently, there are a lot of airplanes flown to Baja that are a lot more expensive than a Lancair. I see a lot of handles here identifying off roaders, as well as pictures of really tricked out obviously expensive rigs, so I'm not in a ******* contest for who has the most bucks or what you may choose to spend it on. Like most Nomads, I'm mainly interested in what is happening in Baja and enjoy the wealth of information people such as David K and many others have to generously and with class, offer to those of us who haven't had the time or opportunity to spend nearly enough time in Baja. I am disappointed to see a thread that has the beginnings of an honest request for information or contribution turning into a name-calling diatribe that adds nothing.

You are so correct,
I have tried to stay out of this after it took such a nasty turn.
I guess there is some envy out there toward those of us who chose to fly.
Certainly my handle relates to the tire brand we ran on our competition truck,
I could just as easily have called myself "Cutlassdriver" since I flew a Cessna retractable for years- IFR and all.
My daughter could have been called "LadyUnitedJetDriver" and I guess that would have been too pretentious.
Ah me,

Back to the track,

Fishbuck, come on up to Oakdale, pick me up and let's go fly the Baja.
If Skeets wants to come along I will pay his share.....

Now can we cool it?

Stickers - 9-2-2008 at 10:43 PM

Quote:

Geeze it must be that time of month or something.

I think Osprey is misinterpreting what a Lancair is; I know a couple of guys who built Lancairs in their garages since they were EXPERIMENTAL planes and very inexpensive if you built it yourself.

Stickers - 9-2-2008 at 10:50 PM

As far as I'm concerned the FAA keeps pretty bad records and besides, I would trust Skeet over the FAA on anything.

Why, because Skeet is the "real deal" and the FAA is a bunch of brainless clerks, as are some new members on this board.

Part 91? part 121? CFI charging for instruction not legal in Mexico? Not legal....not legal.....come on dude work on getting a life.

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2008 at 05:49 AM

great story skeet...

it's really scary how you can look up owners of planes by the faa number and actually get an address:o

you'd think there would be stalking laws that apply here like car plates:o

so right LancairDriver

capt. mike - 9-3-2008 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
How in the hell does a simple offer for an airplane ride to share fuel expenses degenerate into name-calling, personal attacks on so many individuals?
To bad this discussion doesn't take place in some bar in Baja where it could be continued outside. On second thought, without the safety of hiding behind the keyboard, the discussion would undoubtedly be more civil.

so much for nomads helping nomads. this site is full of nitwits. compare it to the BBP for instance. if people there attacked like they do here just for their own bemusement Jack would simply ban them. nomads is such a worthless joke so much of the time. why are so many vindictive - and what else? jealousy?? the guy was asking to share rides for fun and he gets trashed, Skeet gets trashed, airplanes get trashed.
for those of you who were postive in your INITIAL responses thanks for your maturity. and i am 1st to admit that i went negative but not before being provoked.

baja is 1st and foremost to me a PILOT'S paradise and has a long history to prove it. those who hate little planes and are jealous of those who love and use them can continue to drive for days to get there. i'll continue to enjoy my time machine and always have seats for those who wish to share the adventure.:biggrin:

Bob H - 9-3-2008 at 09:05 AM

Capt Mike... well said my friend!
Bob H

oxxo - 9-3-2008 at 09:09 AM

Just like one big campfire.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BajaGringo - 9-3-2008 at 10:48 AM

Thanks Capt Mike...

Sharksbaja - 9-3-2008 at 11:02 AM

Our misfortune is another mans' joy.

Yes mike it's a sad state of affairs when your misfortune is greeted here with contempt and malice. Lieing and spreading mierda for their own personal satisfaction.
There was a day when a civil air resided here. Now I find myself being hammered by mean spirited people.

That does not mean that some very decent and kind people don't reside here. In fact we've been fortunate to get assistance and important knowledge from a couple of Mulege area residents.

They owe us nothing yet they have been much more helpful than those charged with our affairs down in Baja. You might be surprised who it is.

From my wife, my children and myself, a huge thank you of appreciation.

The conundrum now I face; should I refrain from the regular beatings or hang in there knowing there are good people here with good intentions?

The joke may be on us for loving a place so tenuous. It's humbling at the least. Just getting tired of salt poured into our wounds. I feel remiss sharing any personal or semi-personal information these days.

I really miss Gene. He really helped control the vermin.

Please please please try to love thy neighbor. Can you?

Reply not necessary, I don't see the humor.

Bueno suerte mi amigos.

Cypress - 9-3-2008 at 02:16 PM

Sharksbaja, "Viva Mulege"!:)

Just for the Record!!

Skeet/Loreto - 9-9-2008 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
As I was reading through this thread, a number of things people said caught my eye as just being downright BS. First of all for Skeeter, who said he had more than 2,000 hours flying in Mexico. That was really interesting. Even in an old and slow taildragger that does 100MPH, that adds up to over 200,000 miles -- just in Mexico. That's a lot of miles, too many to possibly be true. Over the 40-years you claim to have been flying, you would have to have done about 5 roundtrips per year. Every year for 40 years. So, I took the liberty of looking you up. You signed a lot of your posts "Skeeter Haggerton". The FAA pilot database only has one Haggerton who is 77. Unfortunately, the FAA says you do not have a current medical, as you say you do. The last one you had was issued in the year 2000. You also only have a single-engine land license. No IFR, no commerical ratings, no instructors ratings. 6,000 hours on a private ASEL rating? The last straw is that you say you have been flying in Baja since 1967. The FAA says they didn't give you a license until 1972 I was looking through my old Log Book and Found my Original Pilots Certificate #1707067 issued 08-11--66 received at Po Box 467 Bishop Calif. part 91. Part 91 are the general operating and flignt rules. Airlines operate mainly under Part 121.

Os

Skeet/Loreto - 9-9-2008 at 10:09 AM

I mixed up the Quote:

Found my original Certificate #1707067 issued 08-11-66 mailed to and received at P.O. BoX 467 Bishop, Calif.

Please send my $10,000 To my present Address> Otherwise I shall see you in Court.

Skeet/Loreto

fishbuck - 9-9-2008 at 10:17 AM

Atta Boy Skeets! Give em hell! :)

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2008 at 10:39 AM

isn't gambeling illegal in your state skeet???:lol:

what would "judge judy" say???:lol:

Bruce R Leech - 9-9-2008 at 11:00 AM

go get um skeet

Martyman - 9-9-2008 at 11:45 AM

Skeet;
What's with the Berkeley barbs all the time? We can start making fun of Texas too...I mean they are home to the worst president in US history and my relative is Warren G!!!

capt. mike - 9-9-2008 at 02:05 PM

we ought to round up and ship all the liberals and democrats to Plano Texas.

then they'd just be plano liberal democrats. :yes:

actually that was an old off color joke i cleaned up.:saint:

no offense....except to liberals and democrats.:lol::lol::lol:

tripledigitken - 9-9-2008 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Skeet;
What's with the Berkeley barbs all the time? We can start making fun of Texas too...I mean they are home to the worst president in US history and my relative is Warren G!!!

You may be right about the Texas President, but I think his wife Ladybird was one of the best first ladies!:cool:

And I'd vote for Kinky Freedman if he ever runs!:yes:

vandenberg - 9-9-2008 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
isn't gambeling illegal in your state skeet???:lol:

Mental state.:?::biggrin:
Physical state.:?::biggrin:
Or maybe Texas.:?::?::?::P:P:biggrin:

Skeet/Loreto - 9-9-2008 at 03:58 PM

First and Foremost: Gambling is Illegal in Texas and shall stay that way as long as the BAptist control Texas, Which they still do at this time.!!

The Berkerely thing is a "Fun Thing" between Bajalera in La Paz and myself.
Background; While working in Frisco in the early 70's, I would take the Long Road Home to Concord{There was no Bart} go up Shattack Ave. and watch all the Young Flower Children walking and Bouncing alone in their White loose Robes with no Bras!!

Then I had an Office at the Oakland Airport duing the time of LBJ's Economic Opportunity Act was brought into being where Pimps were getting $17,000 a years working the Streets of Oakland, Then Huey Newton, Anglia Davis, the shootout in the courthouse happened.
Now Angelia is a Liberal College Professor at Berkerley.

One day I stopped in at Strather Gate and bought my Edition of "The Log of the Sea of Cortez" !

Anyway to set everyones mind at ease I got to kidding Lera about Berkerley and ended up being invited into her Home in La Paz where I found a Grand Lady living her life as she so desires.!

Today I noticed that there is One Tree left at Berkerely and there is a Bunch of Protesters settin in its Top> Typical Student??

Berkerely has done some great things in its History, it just seems as if all the Strange Students get all the Notice!!

Texas is a Whole Different World! It is very difficult to know Texas unless you have lived here, so Youall Come to see me Ya Heh!!

Skeet/Loreto

Right on --I go by Fliesbonanza!!!

beercan - 9-11-2008 at 05:25 AM

Quote:
By LA Driver
How in the hell does a simple offer for an airplane ride to share fuel expenses degenerate into name-calling, personal attacks on so many individuals? To bad this discussion doesn't take place in some bar in Baja where it could be continued outside. On second thought, without the safety of hiding behind the keyboard, the discussion would undoubtedly be more civil.

Cutlass retracts??? Oh, well I am a Bonanza guy .

beercan - 9-11-2008 at 05:31 AM

I'm gonna be in MOD getting my Baby's annual-- probably the first week in December ! Wanta have a cerveza and maybe show me where they are building those "Red Trucks" in Oakdale ???

Quote:
By Bajarunner
You are so correct, I have tried to stay out of this after it took such a nasty turn. I guess there is some envy out there toward those of us who chose to fly. Certainly my handle relates to the tire brand we ran on our competition truck, I could just as easily have called myself "Cutlassdriver" since I flew a Cessna retractable for years- IFR and all.

Wrong --your memory is getting worse as you" AGE

beercan - 9-11-2008 at 05:38 AM

If you can remember, I told you that I was attacked unfairly by jim s. on the BBP board when I related my "experience" with Loreto--.He called me a liar and said that I was the problem--which you and many others knew my experience to be factual. It apparently is still going on at Loreto ??? Your recent posts !!
Quote:
By Mike
if people there attacked like they do here just for their own bemusement Jack would simply ban them. nomads is such a worthless joke so much of the time. why are so many vindictive - and what else? jealousy?? the guy was asking to share rides for fun and he gets trashed, Skeet gets trashed, airplanes get trashed.

capt. mike - 9-11-2008 at 06:58 AM

ok, yeah i guess it happens but not with the regularity of places like this.
i forgot about that one. it just doesn't happen much.
now if you want to see personal attacks check out the comanche Forum at Delphi. the group is splitting into 2 camps, the ISC members VS. the non members. it is a riot!

Cutlass/Red Fire trucks, and all that stuff

thebajarunner - 9-11-2008 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
I'm gonna be in MOD getting my Baby's annual-- probably the first week in December ! Wanta have a cerveza and maybe show me where they are building those "Red Trucks" in Oakdale ???

Quote:
By Bajarunner
You are so correct, I have tried to stay out of this after it took such a nasty turn. I guess there is some envy out there toward those of us who chose to fly. Certainly my handle relates to the tire brand we ran on our competition truck, I could just as easily have called myself "Cutlassdriver" since I flew a Cessna retractable for years- IFR and all.

The welcome mat is always out, and the cervezas always cold here on the hill overlooking the Sierras.

Actually, my first off-road racing partner, Chuck Billington, built those red fire trucks for a few years, until he figured out that there are easier ways to lose a lot of money quickly.

And then, Chuck crashed our experimental in an orchard near my home and that is the beginning of a long and very sad story...

Skeet/Loreto - 9-12-2008 at 04:30 AM

Runner: Have you ever run across a Guy in Oakdale by the name of Greg Lewellen??Think he is in to Super Stocks .

As to Flying. It does something to the person operating the Controls. Very difficult for those "Ground Huggers" to understand.

I, myself got the Bug when I was about 5 years old living on that little Dirt Farm south of Sweetwater Texas, watching the WASPS{Lady Pilots of WW2} training. They would take off from Avenger Field and use the Railroad to Practice their straight on Flying..

Skeet