BajaNomad

Happy Halloween 2008 from Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs

David K - 11-2-2008 at 09:06 PM

Baja Angel and just got back home from a very, very nice weekend in Guadalupe Canyon with Nomad Hotschott and his esposa Val... Hotschott even brought pumpkins and carved them!

Being that Halloween was Friday and that was when we drove down, arriving just after dark... our party was Saturday night...

We got out of North County about 2:30pm Friday and that put us ahead of traffic... lucky for us! Crossed into Mexico at Tecate about 4:30...

TWO new (since our last time this way) Pemex stations are now on the road leading east from Tecate to the toll highway entrance.

We were on the Laguna Salada to see the sun set about 5:30 and the lakebed was dry and fast driving (50-60 mph).
When it got dark, I ignited my HIDs. I spent some time playing with the adjustment angle... testing a couple different ways to use them, etc. By the time we were climbing up the road from the lakebed to the canyon, it was dark. The HIDs gave out plenty of bright blue-white super light.

We arrived at our reserved camp (La Jolla B) at 6:30. Hotscott and Val had arrived a couple hours earlier and were settled in at their nearby campo, La Paloma.

As soon as our camp was set up, we were soaking in the wonderful hot spring water under a sky solid with stars!

That was Friday...

Saturday was a day of rest and relaxation... enjoying perfect weather... it was actually warmer than we expected... warm all night, too. Baja Angel and I took a short walk up to the office and beyond into the next camp.

The palms all burned now had penty of green leaves with only their trunks blackened... All of Arturo's camp sites are open, but the next campo up (formerly Angel's Campo 3) still has not rebuilt their palapas or sites... from what we could see. Across the canyon were some new wood sided palapas... but no privacy, like at Arturo's!

Photos from our previous trip, just after the fire, can be seen at http://vivabaja.com/108

Saturday evening we had dinner at the Hotschott's camp and Steve (Hotschott) made three Jack O' Lanterns...

More soaking then sleep... A wind came up and tried to blow things around for a few hours...

Sunday (today) morning was overcast and made packing up a cooler, nicer experience than if we had to in the full sun!

We left the canyon about 10:30 (new standard time) this morning and reached the border line at Tecate about 1 pm... The wait was 65 minutes.

There were some Baja 1000 pre-runners about and the race course is the main street in La Rumorosa! I bought $20 (240 pesos) of gas at La Rumorosa (12 peso per dollar) for 33 litres (8.7 gallons) or $2.30/ gallon.

Great trip, very nice weather, good friends, hot springs... hard to beat!

Photos next!

[Edited on 4-1-2010 by David K]

11-08 trip Photos (first group)

David K - 11-2-2008 at 09:10 PM

The road up through Arturo's camp... the driveway to camp San Marcos is to the left here:

Looking down at the swimming pool from the road:

Looking across the canyon at the grove where the other campground is located, popular with big groups from Mexicali.

Looking up at the former campo of Arturo's brother (Angel) just past Arturo's office... the palapas were burned down in the fire of 11 months ago.

Another:

Us:

The source hot spring for the canyon is against the cliff, past these palms (just above and to the right from Arturo's office):

Another look down at the warm, spring fed swimming pool:

Walking back down to our camp, Laguna Salada in the distance:

[Edited on 11-3-2008 by David K]

11-08 trip Photos (second group)

David K - 11-2-2008 at 09:19 PM

That's Laguna Salada in the distance.

Here are some photos of camp site 'San Marcos' 11-1-08:

Here is our camp site, 'La Jolla B':

She's my Baja Angel!

La Jolla B has two palapas, this second one serves as a kitchen/ dining area for us.

Here is La Jolla A:

[Edited on 11-3-2008 by David K]

11-08 trip Photos (third group)

David K - 11-2-2008 at 09:28 PM

Hotschott and Boomer:

Camp site 'La Paloma':

Baja Angel (Elizabeth) and Val

Happy Halloween from Guadalupe Canyon!!

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by David K]

TMW - 11-3-2008 at 08:16 AM

Great pixs. Boomer with the light in his eye makes me think of the hound of the Baskervilles, a Sherlock Holmes story. Glad you had a great time.

[Edited on 11-3-2008 by TW]

David K - 11-3-2008 at 08:26 AM

We call Boomer 'Kujo', as well! What a great security system he is!

capt. mike - 11-3-2008 at 12:30 PM

really super shots DK. i always wondered what the camp grounds looked like but never saw pics except the tubs.
quite a place. may be some day i'll have to just go.

Bob H - 11-3-2008 at 12:39 PM

Nice Photos David! Looks like you had a fun time, as usual.
Bob H

Mexitron - 11-3-2008 at 06:53 PM

Wow, great pics there DK! Have never done Halloween in Baja, looks like fun.

David K - 11-3-2008 at 10:00 PM

It was fun... and relaxing, too! Thanks!

Capt. Mike... if you want to see more photos of Guadalupe campsites, you can either browse my few Guadalupe trip pages at VivaBaja.com and see some.

David K - 11-4-2008 at 03:15 PM

Here are some driving details:

San Diego to Guadalupe Canyon takes about 3 hours... use Hwy. 94 east from I-805, or I-15, or Hwy. 52 & 125.

Tecate to Guadalupe Canyon is 100 miles... Using the toll highway, two tolls are collected: El Hongo $4.10 US, La Rumorosa $1.25 US.

The canyon is reached via a graded road (well signed 'CaƱon de Guadalupe) or 2.6 miles beyond via the dry lake bed (well signed 'Laguna Salada'). When dry, the lake bed is the preferred route, allowing for speeds of 50-60 mph.

Both routes are about the same distance, 34 miles. The dry lake bed route has 25 miles of lakebed, then the route turns off the lakebed and joins with the graded road in a mile. The last 8 miles climbs towards the canyon and they begin with almost 6 miles of wide graded roadbed. However, the final 2 miles is suitable only for SUVs, trucks, or very slow, careful driving over the large rocks!

Returning to Tecate (via the lakebed road) will require a 2 mile detour east on the toll highway to a signed turnback to go west.

Ken Cooke - 1-27-2009 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Bump for fun... :light:

Thanks for posting the photos, David. It has been years since I have camped with Val and Steve. Probably 8 or 9 years...

David K - 1-28-2009 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Bump for fun... :light:

Thanks for posting the photos, David. It has been years since I have camped with Val and Steve. Probably 8 or 9 years...

Always fun to share the trips...

I remember you camping with Hotschott during BBBB-2 (Nov. 2001)... That was quite a party! 4baja with his lime cannon shot so many limes, I am surprised to not see a lime orchard on the canyon walls! Photos of BBBB-2, Guadalupe Canyon: http://vivabaja.com/bbbb2

David K - 3-31-2010 at 05:18 PM

An update, but not good... is that Arturo's camp is still closed... The family still has his water cut off... Perhaps Halloween 2008 was our final trip there?

Arturo's son-in-law (Canyonman Rob) is taking reservations for the camps just above Arturo's formerly known as Angel's Campo #3, and now called Mario's Las Manantiales.

Personally, what the family is doing to old Arturo is pretty low, IMO... and I don't think giving them any business is in my future. Besides, the prices are just as high or more than Arturo's, but without any privacy to speak of... a lot less for a bit more!

BAJACAT - 3-31-2010 at 10:16 PM

david i thought they lower their prizes, to bring peolpe back. What a shame whats happen to Arturo...thanks DK for the update..

David K - 4-1-2010 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
david i thought they lower their prizes, to bring peolpe back. What a shame whats happen to Arturo...thanks DK for the update..

Well, I just now clicked on the site Rates link and got this:

Reservations for Mario's Manantiales camp starts at $ 100 USD for two night stay for one car, two people. (dogs are allowed).

This is for a small camp site with a private hot tub.

Larger group sites and more private camps are more.

Please send email request for reservation with the number of cars, people and dates. Rob will get back to you with the rates.

Payment in advance by check is reqiured.

Confirmation will be sent by email.

BAJACAT - 4-1-2010 at 10:36 AM

SO WHY ARTURO IS THE ONLY ONE WITH NO WATER, THOSE ARE THE BEST CAMP SITES ON THE WHOLE CANYON...:( that place it's going to die if they don't get their act together...

David K - 4-1-2010 at 11:00 AM

Because the older son of the founder is in control (Ernesto) and his son/ family are trying to force Arturo and his wife (both have cancer or serious health issues) out.

Arturo has had the most success in the canyon, thanks a lot to the location and the great amount of work performed by his son-in-law Canyonman Rob and others from north of the border who saw the potential of the place and developed it into the unique private, quiet camp sites with hot tubs and palapas...

Everyone wants to go to Arturo's as there is no comparison to the other camps there... They are noisy, have little or no privacy... just not the same. The other Loya family members are jealous of Arturo's success.

Because the source hot spring is above and outside of Arturo's area of the canyon, they can and did cut off his water. The water is PVC piped throughout the canyon, and there is enough hot flowing water to share. They have made claims such as Arturo is really not a son, but a cousin of the founder... that he was given permission to build a limited number of camp sites for income as he watched over the canyon, and that he built more than he was allowed to... It sounds like they are envious or jealous of his success and they want what he has. I have been emailed by one of Ernesto's sons inviting me to visit the other camps and promote them, etc. I have also emailed with Canyonman Rob... So I have heard both sides... Arturo doesn't have many years left, his son 'Rigo' is mentally challanged, and his daughter Isabel is in the U.S., married to Rob.

It would seem that Ernesto's family wants to force Arturo off before he dies... But, that is just my opinion based on what I have heard.

HISTORY PAGE (a few years dated)

David K - 4-1-2010 at 11:05 AM

From the web site:

Don Jose

Horse back was the best way to enter Guadalupe Canyon in 1940. Jose Loya Murillo, the founder and owner of the hot springs, first entered the Canyon on horse back while searching for stray cows, with his sons, who were cattle ranchers. "Don" Jose soon discovered the healing benefits of the mineral water and realized the natural beauty of the palm oasis. At the age of 60, Don Jose gave up ranching and set up a homestead in the canyon. He built a handful of small hot tubs. He suffered from arthritis and found that bathing in the hot water cured his pain.

Don Jose lived to the age of 99 and died in 1997. His sons Arturo and Angel now run the campground.

The first road, which terminated one-half mile from the palm grove and bubbling geothermal waters was built by hand. Later a bulldozer finished the road. After 40 years of continuous occupancy the Mexican government finally granted title to the 1000-acre canyon. There are now over 20 beautiful hand-made tubs of river rock and cement. There is a small store and restaurant powered with solar and car batteries, along with propane for the stove. Huge, 100-pound blocks of ice are brought in by truck to keep the beer and food cold.

Arturo Loya , co-owner of Guadalupe Canyon operates the office and store and manages the camp. He still lives the ranch lifestyle and at 68 is going strong. Be prepared to laze around his store with the chickens and dogs.

[Edited on 4-1-2010 by David K]

BAJACAT - 4-1-2010 at 08:31 PM

David so who is the older man that walks with ither a kane or a walker on Ernestos side he claims he owns The canyon...
David, Rob toll me that dry camping can still be done for a sheaper price...

[Edited on 4-2-2010 by BAJACAT]

David K - 4-1-2010 at 09:15 PM

I don't know about the other side of the canyon... just Arturo's and above at Mario's (formerly Angel's).

Dry Camping can be done anywhere in Baja... why go into that canyon and pay to not have a hot tub? Yes, Rob or anyone down there will take your money if you want to pay them to camp in the desert.

Why not go on down to Palomar Canyon? I would like to check it out with you, as you have been there already... and I have not.

BAJACAT - 4-3-2010 at 02:33 PM

DK even for dry camping GDC is a nice place ti visit you can always go to the arroyo, or i can take a pump and pump water from the creek to one of the hot tubs..:light:.
Regarding PALOMAR, let me know we can do that over a week end..

PALOMAR CANYON

MY COUSIN ON THE WAY TO PALOMAR CANYON,, OUCH:lol:

[Edited on 4-3-2010 by BAJACAT]

David K - 4-4-2010 at 08:12 AM

OK!

Even further south of Palomar is Agua Caliente where there was/ is an Indian village... Neal Johns has written about it in 2002 and BajaTaco has a photo from his big trip of 2000.

Neal Johns Part 1: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=129

Neal Johns Part 2: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=137

Neal Johns Part 3: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=140

More, incl. BajaTaco's photos and link in this thread started by Geothermal-Shane, in 2005: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10554

Also, click on the blue dots to see more photo of that area of Baja on this map by BajaTaco: http://www.bajataco.com/Baja/bajamap.html

[Edited on 4-4-2010 by David K]

hawaiicruz - 7-18-2010 at 06:48 PM

I talked to Rob via email in June and Arturos camp is still closed. What a shame. I had some incredible times there. GC is a unique and special place. I'll never forget watching the Leonid meteor shower from my hot tub in San Marcos. (1999?) Though I did like the camps better before they built them up
Nothing in this life lasts for ever, you really need to appreciate what you have while you have it

Bettlejuice, Transvestites, and Vampires

Ken Cooke - 9-17-2010 at 09:40 PM

There's a big party every Oct. 31st on Sta. Monica Blvd in W.Hollywood that while isn't as tranquil as El Canon de Guadalupe, will provide plenty to talk about for months and months! :bounce:

DENNIS - 9-17-2010 at 10:10 PM

Ohhhh yeahhhh.......That's really Baja.

David K - 12-27-2010 at 04:33 PM

Taking a look back at our last trip to Guadalupe Canyon on Halloween, 2008... Not sure about Ken Cooke's addition to this topic, however! :o

Bummer that the Loya Family of Guadalupe Canyon could not get along to keep everyone there going in this rough economy!

mcfez - 12-28-2010 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hawaiicruz
I talked to Rob via email in June and Arturos camp is still closed. What a shame. I had some incredible times there. GC is a unique and special place. I'll never forget watching the Leonid meteor shower from my hot tub in San Marcos. (1999?) Though I did like the camps better before they built them up
Nothing in this life lasts for ever, you really need to appreciate what you have while you have it

hawaiicruz.....any clue from that conversation if this place will ever reopen?

kevin_in_idaho - 3-15-2018 at 07:34 AM

I was in G. Canyon about 40 years ago. It's changed a lot (some for the better based on the pictures) and back then all that was really there was the large "pool". I don't remember but I bet we camped for < $5 and we were the only ones there. I can't remember how the drive in was back then but we were in 4x4's and don't remember having to use it but I'm sure the road wasn't as nice either.

David K - 3-15-2018 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
I was in G. Canyon about 40 years ago. It's changed a lot (some for the better based on the pictures) and back then all that was really there was the large "pool". I don't remember but I bet we camped for < $5 and we were the only ones there. I can't remember how the drive in was back then but we were in 4x4's and don't remember having to use it but I'm sure the road wasn't as nice either.

We camped there several times between 2000 and 2009, it was unlike any other camping in Baja... expensive but well worth it for the experience. Private camping, private hot tubs made with the natural rock, palapas, etc. We often heard nobody else or just sounds in the distance.

It was a good thing that Canyonman Rob and Arturo had going along with the couple of Americans that designed and built the hot tubs, water delivery system, and palapas. Nomad 'Hotschott' was one of them and it was he who introduced us to Guadalupe Canyon in the beginning.

People get old, families argue over ownership, greed sets in, and other factors ended Arturo's Campo #1 (the first campo developed, with the big warm water pool, just below the source spring).

Do you have any photos Kevin?

Here are a couple sets I have at Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs:
APR 2005: http://vivabaja.com/405/
SEPT 2006: http://vivabaja.com/906/
JAN 2008: http://vivabaja.com/108/

kevin_in_idaho - 3-15-2018 at 09:31 AM

I'm sure I do... I'll check around.

kevin_in_idaho - 3-15-2018 at 09:39 AM

I found one that I had scanned in but it doesn't show the pools, etc. and it was taken from up on the hill with only the terrain showing. I'll have to check in my old photo collection and see what I can find.

David K - 3-15-2018 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
I found one that I had scanned in but it doesn't show the pools, etc. and it was taken from up on the hill with only the terrain showing. I'll have to check in my old photo collection and see what I can find.

Any photos from Baja's past are great to share.
If you need help on how to get them to show here, let me know.
The Choose File button, below where you type here will allow photos if their file size is not over 250 kbs. Large size photos are easy to share by using www.postimg.org and just set the viewing size to 800x600 (max width on Nomad is 800 pixels).