BajaNomad

Hazardous Duty Pay Area

losfrailes - 2-2-2009 at 09:53 AM

This morning there was a running gun battle between the Army and several drug smugglers right in San Lucas Cove.

The druggies ran their boat aground hard and ran thru the RV Park, the soldiers left their own boat and are running thru the shallow water, shooting at the smugglers. The smugglers are shooting back!

Finally, the smugglers are caught just outside the RV Park and the Park is inundated with Army troops.

Fine job Army! Hooah!!!

Go Army

bajaguy - 2-2-2009 at 09:56 AM

Yeah, but did they hit any of the druggies??????

Wonder where all of those "unaccounted" rounds went????

bajajazz - 2-2-2009 at 10:16 AM

My brother and sister-in-law are camped there. They are supposed to be driving from San Lucas to La Paz today. I don't know if they hit the road before this happened. If any of you have more information please report it on this thread or send me an U2U.

Viva el Ejercito Mexicano!

ELINVESTIG8R - 2-2-2009 at 10:25 AM

BajaGringo - 2-2-2009 at 10:33 AM

It is so easy for us here to criticize and/or make fun of these guys but the reality is that so many of them put their lives on the line.

I salute them and hope they can catch a lot more of the bastards...

bajajazz - 2-2-2009 at 10:44 AM

I just called friends who live in the village across the road from the cove. According to them, the action went down between 6:30 and 7 o'clock this morning. The smugglers came ashore in two pangas loaded with weed. They heard many gunshots and think two smugglers were killed. They are not positively sure of the details as the army has sealed the access roads to the cove and no one has been allowed in or out. Guess my brother is going to be late arriving in La Paz and we cancelled out going to a tamale party thinking he'd be here early. Oh well, I'm mainly sorry two dudes apparently lost their lives over something as inconsequential as a load of mary jane. Silliness, all of it, tragic silliness.

BajaGringo - 2-2-2009 at 10:48 AM

I could care less about the "mary jane" as you call it. In fact I would just prefer that we legalize drugs to put these guys out of business. These "poor" guys are involved/connected with thousands of kidnappings, torture, murder, beheadings and more. If they are going to play the game they have to be prepared to pay the price when they lose.

And today two of them lost...

losfrailes - 2-2-2009 at 11:07 AM

I live in the village and according to actual reputable eyewitness accounts, there was one, only one panga involved, and only two smugglers.

The smugglers fled up the hill from the beach area, no one is sure whether there were any deaths. But the smugglers were caught in the vicinity of the new squid processing plant.

The access to the park is now open and no one was hurt, other than some feelings, except for the possiblility of some deserving drug smugglers.

Once again, Hooah for the Army!!!

Unaccounted for rounds and all!!!

[Edited on 2-2-2009 by losfrailes]

ckiefer - 2-2-2009 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I could care less about the "mary jane" as you call it. In fact I would just prefer that we legalize drugs to put these guys out of business. These "poor" guys are involved/connected with thousands of kidnappings, torture, murder, beheadings and more. If they are going to play the game they have to be prepared to pay the price when they lose.

And today two of them lost...

I have to agree on this one. It won't stop until it's legalized. What then?

Bajahowodd - 2-2-2009 at 11:43 AM

I don't know how many of you realize just how easy it is to legally purchase weed in places like California where "medicinal marijuana" is legal. The dispensaries are usually co-located with a doctor. One need only see the doctor, complain of some ailment- like stress or axiety, and bingo, you get your Rx. Go next door and purchase legally. It's just like the set up at most of the Farmacias Similares in MX.

Not that I bought any. An LA Times reporter did so for a story. At least according to her, when she got back to the news room with her "legal" weed, her editor watched while she flushed it down the toilet.

[Edited on 2-2-2009 by Bajahowodd]

San Lucus

roundtuit - 2-2-2009 at 12:08 PM

Russ , just curious where it came from ??? mainland, shrimp boat,
or what ever..long panga ride :?::?::?::?:

Bajahowodd - 2-2-2009 at 12:55 PM

"long panga ride", indeed. I'd guess it was from the mainland, and off-loaded from a larger boat under cover of darkness.

BajaGringo - 2-2-2009 at 01:44 PM

That is probably about right. How far is it from Sinaloa to Baja Sur across the water???

Juan del Rio - 2-2-2009 at 01:48 PM

Wayne, sounds like you had a little excitement today...thanks for the eyewitness account!

Bajahowodd - 2-2-2009 at 03:46 PM

The ferry between Santa Rosalia and Guaymas takes ten hours. Of course, a trawler could do it in less time.

Russ - 2-2-2009 at 04:01 PM

roundtuit, I'm not the one to ask. "I know kothink" ~~~~

Pescador - 2-2-2009 at 06:45 PM

As you can imagine, this story takes on new definitions and descriptions depending on who is doing the telling. It was certainly an exciting and scary situation for the people in the trailer park. There were two pangas, out of a total of 5, that were under surveilence by the army, and one was being pursued by the military boat. It was a large panga, probably at least 28 feet, and powered by a 250 hp Yamaha. Two culprits decided to make landfall in the cove and came in about 50 mph or so and headed for an area of sand right in front of Joe and Anita's trailer where Joe has his boat parked. Joe claims they were doing 50 or so when they started to hit rocks along with sand, but they just speeded it up and came aground right by his boat, which was high and dry. They left the panga which was loaded with extra gasoline tanks and marijuana and started running toward the village of San Lucas. There were shots exchanged between the pursuing army and the drug runners. One of them was captured near the new squid plant across from the doctor's house and the other culprit made it into San Lucas. He was captured during a house to house search by the military and reportedly is now in custody.
The military evidently captured another panga and brought it in to the cove where the military base is located and it was also loaded with bales of marijuana and extra gas.
While waiting for the Super Bowl to begin we had a party and several people had just commented on the fact that we were pretty quiet and serene here in paradise and that it was too bad there was all this drug activity up north in the border towns. And then we wake up to all this excitement.
Bajajazz, as you probably already know your people left this morning and should be in La Paz by now.

THANKS, PESCADOR

bajajazz - 2-3-2009 at 12:35 AM

Thanks for the information and concern, Pescador. Yes, my folks arrived here late afternoon and were largely unaware of a lot of what was going on in their campground this morning. While having breakfast they heard a bunch of shots, looked out the window of their RV and saw a flock of doves taking wing from a nearby tree and assumed that some gringos were hunting doves. They saw a couple of guys running around real fast and thought they were hunters picking up dead birds. It wasn't until they drove out to the highway and saw all the police and army personnel that they realized something heavy was going on.

However, they were aware that the military had been patrolling the area for the past 4-5 days, with one boatload of armed soldiers and another boat that was radar equipped stationed behind the sand spit with its radar mast up above the spit so it could sweep the bay. It looked to them like the military had been tipped that a shipment was coming in. We're all glad to hear there were no deaths.

Bajahowodd - 2-3-2009 at 12:47 AM

The whole incident raises a question. As Pescador notes the comfort of knowing that all the drug hoopla was far North. In the past, would narcos have been quietly bringing bales of weed ashore at San Lucas Cove, unbeknownst to anyone, or has the army crackdown caused the druggies to try this tranquil area?

CaboRon - 2-3-2009 at 06:19 AM

It sounds as if you are talking about someplace other than Cabo San Lucas , you mentioned it is a quite place.

So, my question is, where is your San Lucas ?

CaboRon

AS FRANCISCO VILLA WOULD SAY!

ELINVESTIG8R - 2-3-2009 at 06:24 AM

Barry A. - 2-3-2009 at 07:11 AM

San Lucas Cove is just south of Santa Rosalia, and a wonderful and beautiful place.

You break the law, you eventually will suffer the consequences---------that is the bottom line, as it should be in any "society".

Barry

shari - 2-3-2009 at 07:40 AM

This sort of thing happens everywhere in baja...or Happened everywhere before but the military crackdown has been stepped up. Nearly everyone in every fish camp or village has stories of this activity...superpangas coming ashore sometimes broke down, needing gas or water or a new engine etc. I remember seeing a huge brand new pick up whiz by us on a remote beach road with one of those HUGE engines in the back of the pick up...kinda obvious....

I'm surprised they chose san lucas cove as it is so populated and there is a base next door....duh...glad no one got hurt but it's another example that it could happen anywhere so duck when you hear shots fired.

Pescador - 2-3-2009 at 07:52 AM

Until such time as I am granted an interview with the commandante of the military base, I am gluing together bits and pieces of information and admit freely that the accuracy of any of these statements may be secondhand and questionable. It seems, that one or two of the pangas came ashore to get something to eat around Punta Chivato at which time they came under the observation of the military. I think the military boat was in pursuit when they decided that they would ground the boat in San Lucas Cove. At least, there were pursuit shots fired when they hit the ground running at the north end of the trailer park which would suggest they were actively being pursued. So yes, stupid is as stupid does since there is a military base on the south end of the cove and there was no way out of the cove once you entered.
We had 4 or 5 military trucks screaming though San Bruno which is just south of San Lucas Cove and they were armed and ready, so they must have been looking at any area where the boat might land.

mulegemichael - 2-3-2009 at 08:19 AM

i agree with shari, that this sort of thing happens everywhere in baja...a few years ago i was with my family over christmas at hotel punta colorada on the east cape....was jogging down the beach just south of the hotel when i came upon a huge bale of pot that had washed up that morning, either having been dumped out of a panga or fell overboard...over the next week or so, lots of bricks of it all along the beach...from what i understand it happens every year there around christmas time...whatta merry merry christmas!

Russ - 2-3-2009 at 09:21 AM

A lot of reports over the years of people coming across bails and big pangas with a lot of cargo. Once I came across maybe 15 bails on the far side of a sand dune. Left Fast! Helos flying the coast line here for the past 4 days and again this morning. Military thick yesterday here too. 3 weeks ago I found a new trail and drove it to see where it went. About a mile in was a huge clearing with two very clean out houses and the start of a nice stick frame building. Also a drag for smoothing a road but not used on the trail I took in. I didn't investigate the area too much. It had a really "Stay Away" feel about it.

BajaGringo - 2-3-2009 at 07:27 PM

Probably a very smart move. I do think there are ways to make anonymous reports now, right?

:?::?::?:

Russ - 2-3-2009 at 07:45 PM

The feds are thick in this area. I was watching a single engine plane land this afternoon because not 30 seconds behind him a King Air had it's wheels down on the same flight path as the little guy. No way he was going to land! Bet me! Full reverse and stopped almost on the little planes nose! Then there was a second King air circled with his wheels down. Sure.... there are two planes on the runway and the second plane wants down bad. Neither of planes on the runway are moving. I can see the tail of the small guy and the top half of the big guy and still the second King Air circles, wheels up and down on the landing pattern. This goes on for more than a half hour and the second big guy lands over the top of the other two. HOLY mackerel! Some one reports on the radio that there are men out of the big planes with guns and I see a military truck driving towards them. Something BIG is going on! Turns out it's a local guy returning home here. I haven't heard the story yet but I'm sure by morning It'll be a good. Oh, during about 10 minutes of that a little marine hilo was buzzing over head and there is a navy boat anchored just south of us. Not boring today.

BajaGringo - 2-3-2009 at 08:03 PM

Pop some more popcorn and pull up a chair. Wear your Kevlar of course...

Pescador - 2-3-2009 at 08:50 PM

Well, I talked to one of the army guys today and the story is pretty interesting. Seems that two pangas left the mainland loaded with gasoline and marijauna, so they ended up camping on San Marcos Island. The next morning they woke up and decided they were hungry so they headed to Punta Chivato to find something to eat. While there, they came under the attention of the military (who take special interest in 28 foot pangas with 250hp Yamahas) and a call went out to apprehend the two pangas. Between Punta Chivato and the south end of San Marcos, they are overtaken by the military boat who started shooting. They did apprehend one boat with one of the drug runners shot and the other wounded. The other boat is hauling full speed and heads into San Lucas Cove with the military boat in hot pursuit. When they started hitting rocks and sand they just opened the throttle and they were throwing rocks and sand 20 feet in the air. They ran aground at a really high speed and left the boat shooting and the military was right behind them shooting up a storm. They ran through the trailer park in San Lucas Cove and headed up into the woods where one of the guys was caught next to the squid plant. During a house to house search in the village of San Lucas, they found the other guy. Since they did not know the area, they ended up coming into a cove which is the home of the local military base. So, as usual with a lot of crooks, they get the intelligence award for the year.
We are now seeing at least twice as many military trucks, fully armed, as we have ever seen before in the area and most of the local people are really happy that they guys got caught. And they think it is really funny that they ran aground in the cove at the military base.

Russ - 2-4-2009 at 05:36 AM

Pescador, Rumors.... you gotta love them! Two people that work here and live in San Bruno said almost the same thing happened there. Two boats and a shoot out there too. I told them about you and your report about San Lucas but they insisted it all happened in San Bruno. :?: On a good side to all this ALL the shrimp boats have left the area with the navy anchored here.

ELINVESTIG8R - 2-4-2009 at 06:55 AM

IT'S TIME TO TAKE THE GLOVES OFF

Pescador - 2-4-2009 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Pescador, Rumors.... you gotta love them! Two people that work here and live in San Bruno said almost the same thing happened there. Two boats and a shoot out there too. I told them about you and your report about San Lucas but they insisted it all happened in San Bruno. :?: On a good side to all this ALL the shrimp boats have left the area with the navy anchored here.

The shoot out on the boat did happen just out of San Bruno, but the second shoot out was in the cove. Two boats, two shootouts. I talked to a gal from San Lucas today and she and she said it was really funny watching the soliers trying to load their rifles, they would hit the wrong button and drop the magazines on the ground, pump through full loads, etc. Guess the adrenelin was running in large amounts.

Russ - 2-4-2009 at 07:46 PM

Pescador I'd love "film at eleven"

Bajahowodd - 2-5-2009 at 12:43 AM

What happened to the pot?

Russ - 2-5-2009 at 05:31 AM

San Lucas military base was very happy place last night. But the local store owners are even happier. All the "munchies" in the town were sold out.

shari - 2-5-2009 at 08:04 AM

Ahhh Russ....now THAT is funny...thanks for the morning giggle. This has been the most interesting thread all week...a happy ending with no mortalities and the newbie marines got to practise loading their toys.

Pescador - 2-5-2009 at 12:58 PM

Sorry Shari, there were two mortalities. The panga who lost the shootout by San Bruno had two reported mortalities.
One of the residents of San Lucas Cove got to take pictures in one of the pangas and they were holding one of the bales for photo shoots, but they did make them put it back.

shari - 2-5-2009 at 04:13 PM

oh my, I AM sorry for that...gosh...my condolences to the families. Do you know if they aprehended all the bad guys in the end? wow, quite the excitement you all had the last couple days I imagine...and how scary for the people who's houses the guys were hiding in eh.

Pescador - 2-5-2009 at 10:05 PM

Evidently they apprehended (dead or alive) all of the drug runners, for a total of 4. You are right, it is too bad that somebody was stupid enough to take on this job in the first place, to put themselves at that much risk for a small amount of money that carries that much risk. At this point, everyone is pretty vague about where they came from so we are hoping for a good newspaper account this week.

Pescador - 2-6-2009 at 09:12 PM

Ok, here is the article in the Sudcalifornian.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1036201.htm

Bajahowodd - 2-7-2009 at 12:40 AM

People should not have to lose their lives over something that grows naturally all around the world. It's insane.

shari - 2-7-2009 at 08:24 AM

interesting article....I like the part about this is being kept quiet until all the "bales" floating aroung in the gulf that they dumped could be picked up....gas up your rhino Russ! and put some extra heavy line on your rod.

Russ - 2-7-2009 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
interesting article....I like the part about this is being kept quiet until all the "bales" floating aroung in the gulf that they dumped could be picked up....gas up your rhino Russ! and put some extra heavy line on your rod.

Shari, Shooosh:saint: It's a Ranger (a much superior machine):yes:

shari - 2-7-2009 at 09:18 AM

ahhh I stand corrected...and I feel a new name coming on...Ranger Russ...roamer of remote playas....how about a new baja activity to promote economic development in fish camps..."Bale Watching"!!

2-tie-dye-4 - 2-7-2009 at 09:25 AM

When is the high season for bale watching? Are there seats still available? Wonder if whales like bales?

Packoderm - 2-7-2009 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I don't know how many of you realize just how easy it is to legally purchase weed in places like California where "medicinal marijuana" is legal. The dispensaries are usually co-located with a doctor. One need only see the doctor, complain of some ailment- like stress or axiety, and bingo, you get your Rx. Go next door and purchase legally. It's just like the set up at most of the Farmacias Similares in MX.

Not that I bought any. An LA Times reporter did so for a story. At least according to her, when she got back to the news room with her "legal" weed, her editor watched while she flushed it down the toilet.

[Edited on 2-2-2009 by Bajahowodd]

I've never seen any of these legal medicinal marijuana dealings take place. How do they somehow keep the violence and gun play from happening in these clinics? I thought it is assumed that violence and big, big problems always accompanies all illicit drugs. Perhaps Mexico can learn how the medicinal marijuana clinics in California are keeping the cartels out of the picture and learn from that.

Russ - 2-7-2009 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
ahhh I stand corrected...and I feel a new name coming on...Ranger Russ...roamer of remote playas....how about a new baja activity to promote economic development in fish camps..."Bale Watching"!!

Funny Shari! That what I did in WA. Park Ranger.... So it's an old name. I think I'll bail on pushing for the new enterprise for pangeros. Those people have guns:no:

bajabass - 2-7-2009 at 09:42 AM

My wife is a doctor from Ensenada and worked at a Farmacia Similares there. There are strict controls over what they can prescribe in the clinics, and sell at the farmacia. Maybe I can get her to change her specialty here???:cool:

bajabass - 2-7-2009 at 10:34 AM

On the serious side, my wife has family in San Bruno. Their house is about 200 yards from the marina. I am glad no innocents were hurt or killed. Hard to believe such a quiet little place is on the map this way. I have stayed at the little 4 room Hotel Serena many times, and fished the beach there many times early in the morning as well. Now I will keep my eyes on things other than baitfish and birds!!

BajaGringo - 2-7-2009 at 10:35 AM

I could care less if someone wants to light up a joint, smoke crack, do speed or heroine. It has been proven over time that increasing the penalties does not deter the behavior. The only other option to stop it is to curb the availability. We seem unable to do that as well and are only putting the rest of the population at danger in the process with all the violence.

So as I see it our only options are to either try and jail 10% or more of the population or just legalize it, control it, tax it and then try to educate the population as we do with cigarettes...

(rant over)

Bajahowodd - 2-7-2009 at 12:16 PM

Don't we already have more than 10% in jail? Most for drug related offenses? We be the winner. More people in jail than in Russia or China.

BajaGringo - 2-7-2009 at 12:22 PM

I think right now it is about 1% of the US population is incarcerated - the highest rate in the world. If we play out the current plan and just arrest those "abusing" drugs we would need to incarcerate 10% or more. That would put the US prison population at over 30 million. Who here wants to pay for THAT system???

I truly believe that we are heading down the wrong road...

Bajahowodd - 2-7-2009 at 02:22 PM

Granted, I was exaggerating to make a point. The weird thing about the California marijuana clinics is that the only time there's any sort of hubub is when the Feds frequently harass them, demanding records, and generally hassling workers and patients. California legalized medical marijuana. As far as I know, the drug is grown in California. There is no interstate commerce involved. Yet the Feds rationale is that the drug is illegal under Federal law. There's a big states' rights issue here. And there are several states that have similar laws.