BajaNomad

On demand water heater

dianaji - 2-17-2009 at 12:08 PM

I'm wondering if getting an on-demand water heater is the best way to go. i am planning on making a small batch solar water heater, however, may want both. thanks, diana

oldlady - 2-17-2009 at 12:37 PM

We have them, they work well but not if the water pressure isn't great enough.

BajaGringo - 2-17-2009 at 12:51 PM

They do sell booster pumps for these units if needed. In your case Diana I would just put a tank up high enough with a 1" line coming into the unit to provide the pressure needed.

Taco de Baja - 2-17-2009 at 01:01 PM

There was a discussion on this a while ago. The general consensus was they suck. And I agree. They often don’t work in low flow situations (if you want a trickle at the faucet), don’t work if you want more than one outlet pulling water at the same time, they are expensive to buy and install….

Taco de Baja - 2-17-2009 at 01:03 PM

Previous discussion: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30853#pid3125...

Johannes - 2-17-2009 at 01:03 PM

the pressure is just depending on the hight, the pipe just has to support the flow, so it needs to be at least the size of the connection pipe on the heater unit.

Getting Pressured

MrBillM - 2-17-2009 at 05:38 PM

I had one of the "Rinnai"(?) units about twenty years ago fed by a 500-gallon tank ten feet up and I had to add a Shurflo pressure-demand pump to the line. Cost over two-hundred bucks at a discount. Used it for about 5 years until it crapped. As stated, if you closed the valve too much, the heater shutdown.

I replaced it with a Ten-Gallon (well, 40 Litre) conventional propane water-heater and wouldn't have anything else. $89.00 in San Felipe and it's been online for the last Fifteen years. Wouldn't have anything else.

David K - 2-17-2009 at 05:44 PM

MrBillM speaks from experience on this dianaji... Tankless units are expensive and don't lend themselves to low pressure/ low flow situations... unless there is something new?

DianaT - 2-17-2009 at 05:51 PM

When we lived in the backwaters of Honduras, we had a hot water heater that looked very much like this.

It the heating element was right in the shower head. The water pressure, when we had water, was not good and the heater worked very well.

However, we were always very careful because we don't think it was wired real well---the water had that strange rather charged feel to it. And once in a while we would hear about someone electrocuted by one of these. They were very common in Honduras.

Don't know if they are available or if they are safe, but when we had water, we had hot showers and lived to tell about it. :lol:

Oh, our walls and the wiring on that unit look a lot like what we had----we always set the temp BEFORE we turned the water on and never touched any part of it while showering.

Diane

[Edited on 2-18-2009 by jdtrotter]

Bob and Susan - 2-17-2009 at 06:43 PM

i agree with mrbillm

go for the regular heater...

i had 7...soon only one will be left

they do not work as advertised

boe4fun - 2-17-2009 at 07:03 PM

Hey Diane, they sell the water heater with the heating element in the shower head at the hardware store in Mulege. On the road that comes out from Davis store. Paul Boe

DianaT - 2-17-2009 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
Hey Diane, they sell the water heater with the heating element in the shower head at the hardware store in Mulege. On the road that comes out from Davis store. Paul Boe

They really work quite well, but all those wires in the shower just didn't seem right.
Diane

BajaGringo - 2-17-2009 at 08:33 PM

I used one for 10 years in Argentina and it worked fine. I guess different folks have different experiences. They do make a very simple booster pump that goes on the inlet. They sell them at Home depot. And what's with the "expensive" installation? They are simple to install. I liked that they weren't heating my water when I wasn't using it. I have a friend in San Quintin who has used one for three years now. Cost him $220 at the local hardware store and we have taken many showers at his place and never a problem.

Different strokes...

dianaji - 2-17-2009 at 08:49 PM

i think mulege is far away from la mision...

oh, and btw, i am getting electricity! the pole is up!

dianaji - 2-17-2009 at 08:49 PM

so, that's that...no windmill!

dianaji - 2-17-2009 at 08:53 PM

ps. since i am very frugal, and do not use lots of hot water, and there seems to be controversy re on-demand, vs. regular heater, what would work best in this case? i hate the idea of having a pilot on full time. any suggestions? thanks for all the help.

CortezBlue - 2-17-2009 at 09:14 PM

I am in San Felipe and I was fortunate to find a brand new Ranni(SP) unit for LP Gas for $250 from a over stock construction place in Phoenix. I almost didn't use it due to the horror stories that I had heard from many folks. But I had nothing to lose. I hooked it up and havent looked back since. We have great water pressure and the unit has worked flawlessly. I would not recommend the electric units, but the gas one that I have works great!!

bajaguy - 2-17-2009 at 09:18 PM

Picked up mine at Home Depot in Ensenada several years ago for about $300USD. Propane model works great, but looking for a booster pump to help out upstairs.

[Edited on 2-18-2009 by bajaguy]

BMG - 2-17-2009 at 10:01 PM

We've had our demand water heater in use now for about a year. Definitely takes some getting used to when compared to a tank heater. We do have a pressure system on our household plumbing that keep pressure between 35psi-50psi.

Water temperature changes while showering, especially if you try cutting back on water flow as the heater starts to cycle. Most of the time our shower will go from hot to very hot and then back to hot. I think it has to do with the water pressure as it drops and then the pump kicks in and increases the psi again.

So far, I would go again with the demand heater. At this point the determining factor will be longevity.

BajaGringo - 2-17-2009 at 10:01 PM

I will get the booster pump info and upload it when i get back to Rosarito, As I recall they work on demand and do a good job of keeping constant pressure in even the lowest pressure situations...

bajaguy - 2-17-2009 at 10:03 PM

BMG.....we call that the shower dance!!!

DENNIS - 2-17-2009 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Propane model works great, but looking for a booster pump to help out upstairs.

Why not move the water heater upstairs?

bajaguy - 2-17-2009 at 10:08 PM

Where were you when we were building?????

DENNIS - 2-17-2009 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Where were you when we were building?????

Sharky's. Where else?

BMG - 2-17-2009 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
BMG.....we call that the shower dance!!!
Nothing like the dance I did when using one of the suicide shower heads in Sonora. Standing in the spray was fine but don't touch anything metal.:o I guess the electrical ground wasn't that great, or at least not as good a ground as when you made contact with the hot water knob.

BajaNuts - 2-17-2009 at 11:18 PM

a couple of key words/issues to look for-

for gas heaters- - - pilot light vs no pilot light- less expensive models have a standing pilot light which is on all the time(burning gas 24/7), for a little more money you can get one that is electronic and will only come on when the water flow reaches a certain rate.

whole house vs point of use- "point of use" heaters are installed below a single sink. Usually can only produce a gallon or 2 a minute. "Whole house" heaters come in many sizes. Rennai, Bosch and other OD heater makers have charts to figure out what size you will need for your requirements. Good water pressure is important, so the booster pump may need to be included in your plans.

A good quality gas whole house heater will work very well. Whether it is worth the extra $$$ in your situation is up to you.

FYI- a small electric hot water tank can be turned off when residents are gone for a few days. It only takes 30-60 minutes for the tank to heat up when you return. Also, by turning the tank temperature up to a higher temperature, you will have hot water longer if you like long showers..:bounce: It will use a little more electricity to keep the tank at 125-140(very HOT), but in the temperate Baja climate, the extra electricity shouldn't be noticed.

dianaji - 2-17-2009 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I will get the booster pump info and upload it when i get back to Rosarito, As I recall they work on demand and do a good job of keeping constant pressure in even the lowest pressure situations...

where in rosarito? do u think it would be best to get it in the san diego.

dianaji - 2-17-2009 at 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
a couple of key words/issues to look for-

for gas heaters- - - pilot light vs no pilot light- less expensive models have a standing pilot light which is on all the time(burning gas 24/7), for a little more money you can get one that is electronic and will only come on when the water flow reaches a certain rate.

whole house vs point of use- "point of use" heaters are installed below a single sink. Usually can only produce a gallon or 2 a minute. "Whole house" heaters come in many sizes. Rennai, Bosch and other OD heater makers have charts to figure out what size you will need for your requirements. Good water pressure is important, so the booster pump may need to be included in your plans.

A good quality gas whole house heater will work very well. Whether it is worth the extra $$$ in your situation is up to you.

FYI- a small electric hot water tank can be turned off when residents are gone for a few days. It only takes 30-60 minutes for the tank to heat up when you return. Also, by turning the tank temperature up to a higher temperature, you will have hot water longer if you like long showers..:bounce: It will use a little more electricity to keep the tank at 125-140(very HOT), but in the temperate Baja climate, the extra electricity shouldn't be noticed.

didn't mention this...i do not have an upstairs...it's a mobile home...also, i do not live there full time yet...only go 2x monthly for about 2 or 3 days at a time, so that should be a deciding factor also. also, do not like long showers... just enough to soap and rinse.

BajaGringo - 2-18-2009 at 01:13 AM

Home Depot in Rosarito at the Pabellon sells the units and booster pumps. They are on the same aisle. I checked prices on both sides of the border and they are cheaper in Baja....

Hook - 2-18-2009 at 06:32 AM

I've also heard that the hardness of the water/amt. of suspended particles in your water can spell trouble for the on-demand heaters. Is there a way of flushing them, assuming that you dont have whole house filtration before them?

At least the conventional WH are pretty easy to flush. I used my boating Salt-X dispenser for an annual flush and my conventional worked for 13 years at my full-time home in SJC. Still worked when we sold.

Timo1 - 2-18-2009 at 06:49 AM

I've never heard of a mobile home without a built in electric water heater

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
I've never heard of a mobile home without a built in electric water heater

it has one, however, it is not working...so, that is why i'm looking for what will work best in my situation. there is a dealer close to where i live in San Marcos who sells Rennai OD heaters...he has very good reviews...and i will call today. thanks so much for all of your help...this is such a good place to come for information!

viabaja - 2-18-2009 at 08:49 AM

I'll put my 2 cents in!

I have 2 Rinnai 85S's in the states (high desert). Same location as Bill. The jury is still out. Negatives - high maintenance (clean inline filters every few months, annual flushing with vinegar), expensive. Postives - LP savings which is expensive, one nevers runs out of hot water.

Now Baja - water conditions (if aquifer is near sea - water is slightly saline), sand & solids, & water tank (high flow = high water consumption), a problem if one has a tank as I do with water trucked in. Need a boost pump for flow - power consumption (solar/batteries). Now if you live in a town with city water & such - well maybe the tankless system might be more appropriate. However, they are not cheap!

I just replaced my 30 gal LP hot water heater in Baja after 5.5 years - alot of sediment came out of it and I do drain it twice a year. Hope to get another 5 years aout of it. I'd like to hear from someone in our area (South campos - south of San Felipe) who has had the tankless system for a number of years and get feedback.

Taco de Baja - 2-18-2009 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dianaji

didn't mention this...i do not have an upstairs...it's a mobile home...

That’s another problem. They DO NOT recommend installing these units in the small hot water closet in mobile homes. (I believe it’s against code to install some of these in a MH in most places in the US, unless specifically certified as such) The small air vents on the closet door are fine for a conventional water heater but there is not enough air in there to accommodate the amount of flame an on-demand requires. If you do choose to get one, install it on an outside wall, or use a screen door on the closet. If the closet is inside the home you will have to draw air (a lot of air) into it from the outside, as the unit could potentially suck the O2 out of your MH and kill you. Read up on the codes for installing these in the US and follow them, even when in Mexico, following code can save your life.

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

That’s another problem. They DO NOT recommend installing these units in the small hot water closet in mobile homes. (I believe it’s against code to install some of these in a MH in most places in the US, unless specifically certified as such) The small air vents on the closet door are fine for a conventional water heater but there is not enough air in there to accommodate the amount of flame an on-demand requires. If you do choose to get one, install it on an outside wall, or use a screen door on the closet. If the closet is inside the home you will have to draw air (a lot of air) into it from the outside, as the unit could potentially suck the O2 out of your MH and kill you. Read up on the codes for installing these in the US and follow them, even when in Mexico, following code can save your life.

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

that was very helpful info...i will certainly take this into consideration...cause i wanna live! the door to the cabinet is on the outside of the MH, so are u saying that i should remove the existing door and replace it with a screen door?

Taco de Baja - 2-18-2009 at 09:40 AM

Quote:

that was very helpful info...i will certainly take this into consideration...cause i wanna live! the door to the cabinet is on the outside of the MH, so are u saying that i should remove the existing door and replace it with a screen door?

Yes, But I would talk to the dealer and see what he recommends. You may be able to just cut a lot more vents into the door to get the required square footage of "breathing room" required, I just know it's a lot.....Since he has installed some he will know the best methods. You will also have to enlarge the roof vent to something like 5"-6” in diameter; the small conventional water heater roof vent is no where near large enough.

If it is in an outside closet, or on the outside wall, it will not kill you. It's just that as MH are built differently than conventional homes, there have been issues with the units being in the living area.

vandenberg - 2-18-2009 at 10:22 AM

If the MH is pretty much in a permanent place, why not put the waterheater, say 40 gl propane, on the outside and pipe it in. Could always put a cover/roof over it to keep it out off the weather.:?::?: Would solve any size/ventilation issues.

noproblemo2 - 2-18-2009 at 10:49 AM

We opted for solar, both hot water and elec. Both are FANTASTIC

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 10:55 AM

well, i just talked to the guy that sells the OD water heaters and he recommended that, since i have a mobile home, i not get an OD and to get solar for the hot water and have it installed on the roof. he told me to go to a camping supply store and they will understand and know what i need. anyone know a place near la mision and/or rosarito?

A Distinction

MrBillM - 2-18-2009 at 11:00 AM

It seems that we're discussing two different modes of On-Demand water heating.

For those of us who didn't (and don't) have commercial electricity, the on-demand units we used were gas-fired with the noted problems.

On the other hand, IF you have commercial electricity, the shower-head units might work fine. I've talked to many who used them in other countries. The unsettling "wiring" aspect was also mentioned.

BUT, if you have steady electricity, the small tank electric water heaters (as small as Six Gallons) are fairly cheap and dependable. At one time, I was using one with the washing machine since I had to run a genset anyway. Finally, just started washing clothes in cold water.

RV water heater

Al G - 2-18-2009 at 11:09 AM

IMHO is the real answer, but people who like wasting 40 gallons of water to take a shower need not read any more.
6 gallon tank will produce a good shower in 20 minutes in Baja Sur. upfront cost is high, but is worth it.
I (one person) only used 30 kilos propane in a 8 month period for showers and cooking (eat out 50%)
when I want to shower, I push a button (could be on all the time)and in 20 minutes I step in the shower. My shower has a hand wand with a push on and off for water as needed.
When I finish showering, I push the button off and do my dishes with the rest of the hot water. Easy to see it is not for everyone...but works great in Baja.
works cheaper with low pressure...:biggrin:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/heaters-rv-water-heater-p...

Diver - 2-18-2009 at 11:35 AM

For limited use in your mobile, I would just get the cheapest small GE electric heater they have at Home Depot. Either turn it on and off as needed or add a timer so it heats up before you do.

In our older pick-up camper, the heater died and instead of spending $450 on a new 6 gallon heater, we bought one of these http://www.productsthatsave.com/ptsl5.html
and plumbed it into the camper. We can also disconnect it and take it anywhere. In the camper it was plumbed into the gas supply but they will run on the little green tanks or larger. They run fine on whatever water pressure you have.

David K - 2-18-2009 at 11:42 AM

Diver, I didn't see it mentioned on that link... but what is the pressure required (PSI) to work? Otherwise, cool unit... or hot!

Listen to this man

Dave - 2-18-2009 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
RV water heater...IMHO is the real answer

He knows what he's talking about.

I replaced the 6 gl water heater in my 5th wheel last year. Cost was 460 dollars. In retrospect, I really didn't need the elec/gas combo so I overspent. Should have just got the gas. A 30k propane tank lasts me about 45 days for hot water and the fridge.

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
For limited use in your mobile, I would just get the cheapest small GE electric heater they have at Home Depot. Either turn it on and off as needed or add a timer so it heats up before you do.

In our older pick-up camper, the heater died and instead of spending $450 on a new 6 gallon heater, we bought one of these http://www.productsthatsave.com/ptsl5.html
and plumbed it into the camper. We can also disconnect it and take it anywhere. In the camper it was plumbed into the gas supply but they will run on the little green tanks or larger. They run fine on whatever water pressure you have.

wow! that sounds great! i will check prices at camping world and compare, so there won't be shipping charges, and perhaps just as cheap that way. i can see i have a lot of homework.

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

i called camping world...2 minutes away from where i live and they have the same one, i believe for $134.95...guess it's not worth having shipped. looks like this may be what i want right now.

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 12:37 PM

this is the product i believe is mentioned:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/eccotemp-portable-...

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 12:48 PM

just called home depot and they have 2.5 gal electric point of use for $208

Diver - 2-18-2009 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Diver, I didn't see it mentioned on that link... but what is the pressure required (PSI) to work? Otherwise, cool unit... or hot!

I've run it from a 5 gallon jug hoisted about 3+ feet above in a tree but it works better above 5 feet; around 10+ psi ?

BajaNuts - 2-18-2009 at 06:38 PM

Diana, I hate to muddy the hot water further but....

your last post said "point-of-use" electric 2.5 gallon. These are designed to be installed under a kitchen sink or similar. I wouldn't suggest it for the whole place.

And to really make things murky, you need to consider the electrical usage of the unit you are considering. Is it 120v or 240v? What was the rating of the heater that was in there before? 120v or 240v?

Mobile homes are usually wired very conservatively for their power capacity. I just did a quick google at Lowes and saw an OD electric point of use that was 120v and required 29 AMPS. The same heater in 240v would only require 15 AMPS.

If your previous H2O tank was 240v, it was probably wired to a 25 or 30 amp (2-pole) breaker. Who knows if your wiring can handle a 120v 29 amp load?

Since you are only down for a couple days at a time, I would strongly suggest you replace the existing heater with the cheapest similar model you can find or go with the little propane one.

Or you can hire an electrician to come check out the system in your mobile and give you a proper recommendation. I bet with a little negotiations as to the shop rate or compensation, I could find a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN willing to come down for a consult and even install the replacement heater for you...
...:light::light::biggrin::biggrin:

BajaNuts - 2-18-2009 at 06:42 PM

PS- Lowes had a small standard electric tank for $238, (edit- it's a 30 gal tank---http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89263-135-E2F30HS045V&lpage=none)

you might also look at "low-boy" tanks, I bought a 30gal lowboy a couple years ago at Lowes for $189. It's used occassionaly in an outbuilding. I keep it off and it only takes 30 minutes to heat up. That's about the same as the other little RV ones posted earlier.

[Edited on 2-19-2009 by BajaNuts]

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 06:43 PM

Quote:

your last post said "point-of-use" electric 2.5 gallon. These are designed to be installed under a kitchen sink or similar. I wouldn't suggest it for the whole place.

And to really make things murky, you need to consider the electrical usage of the unit you are considering. Is it 120v or 240v? What was the rating of the heater that was in there before? 120v or 240v?

Mobile homes are usually wired very conservatively for their power capacity. I just did a quick google at Lowes and saw an OD electric point of use that was 120v and required 29 AMPS. The same heater in 240v would only require 15 AMPS.

If your previous H2O tank was 240v, it was probably wired to a 25 or 30 amp (2-pole) breaker. Who knows if your wiring can handle a 120v 29 amp load?

Since you are only down for a couple days at a time, I would strongly suggest you replace the existing heater with the cheapest similar model you can find or go with the little propane one.

Or you can hire an electrician to come check out the system in your mobile and give you a proper recommendation. I bet with a little negotiations as to the shop rate or compensation, I could find a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN willing to come down for a consult and even install the replacement heater for you...

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 06:49 PM

Quote:

No, u are just trying to help... i was just seeing what was out there... and thus far, i am thinking the small propane one. who knows, i may never sell my home here in the states and will just continue to visit as i have been doing...*sigh* i'm ready to GIVE away my mobile home here in the states. it's not easy trying to live in 2 places.

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
PS- Lowes had a small standard electric tank for $238, (edit- it's a 30 gal tank---http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89263-135-E2F30HS045V&lpage=none)

you might also look at "low-boy" tanks, I bought a 30gal lowboy a couple years ago at Lowes for $189. It's used occassionaly in an outbuilding. I keep it off and it only takes 30 minutes to heat up. That's about the same as the other little RV ones posted earlier.

now there's another idea....the low boy. i don't mind waiting 30 minutes. is it electric? what would be the least expensive...the lowboy or the small tankless OD one.? perhaps i'll have to get an electrician to help me out with the choice. actually, until i decide, i can just heat up some water on my stove!

BajaNuts - 2-18-2009 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
[ it's not easy trying to live in 2 places.

and it sound's like you only want to be in one place....sigh....

Yes the low-boys are electric, they are just shorter and a little rounder, originally designed to fit under counters and stairs, but for small demand situations, they work great for a small house. The 30-gal electrics from Lowes will do the same thing and heat up just as fast if your tank closet was designed for a small upright tank. You can always upgrade to a GOOD propane whole house heater down the road when you are there full time. For now it sounds like you are looking for the least expensive, yet economical solution. Turning it off when you are not there is the simplest solution. Even with the propane camping tank, you will need to consider the venting issue if you intend to put it inside.

good luck, feel free to u2u me if you have other specific questions.

David K - 2-18-2009 at 08:39 PM

Quote:

Did you see this: Outdoor use only ???

dianaji - 2-18-2009 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Did you see this: Outdoor use only ???

does this mean i cannot have hot water inside? jeez!!!

David K - 2-18-2009 at 08:46 PM

It means the only safe shower is outside... how friendly are your neighbors?

Eccotemp tankless water heater

dianaji - 4-17-2009 at 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

speaking about eccotemp, ebay offers it for $130 free shipping (of course not to mexico). so, still thinking of getting one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EccoTemp-L5-LPG-Portable-Gas-Tankless-HO...

bg, did u get the booster pump info?

dianaji - 4-17-2009 at 04:14 AM

guess that link was incomplete.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EccoTemp-L5-LPG-Portable-Gas-Tankless-HO... 0?hash=item130300221402&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

bajaguy - 4-17-2009 at 06:40 AM

Quote:

bg, did u get the booster pump info?

I discovered two problems that are related to the heater operation......heater works great, but low water pressure will affect operation. Purchased a Grundfos pump at Home Depot (did not install yet).

Also discovered that the gas (propane) supply line that they hooked up to the heater is 1/2". Needs to be 3/4" for proper operation.

I have the parts and will do the install on my next trip down in a month or so.

bajaecoliving - 5-25-2009 at 07:25 AM

tank-less water heater are good if you are in your house on weekends with 20 people and then nobody again all week. i know that the ecoyeco guys in TJ sell tank less for $200.00 that work with high pressure. They are nice so ask them if you can buy one to try on your low pressure system.

I suggest that if you are at your house all year you should have
solar water heater
no more gas. no more elect. And plenty of hot water all year around.

Ricky.

[Edited on 5-25-2009 by bajaecoliving]

BigWooo - 5-25-2009 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaecoliving
tank-less water heater are good if you are in your house on weekends with 20 people and then nobody again all week. i know that the ecoyeco guys in TJ sell tank less for $200.00 that work with high pressure. They are nice so ask them if you can buy one to try on your low pressure system.

I suggest that if you are at your house all year you should have
solar water heater
no more gas. no more elect. And plenty of hot water all year around.

I agree. It seems like a few people have good luck with the on demand heaters, but many have problems. After reading all the complaints about them on this board, and not wanting to waste propane on an traditional water heater, we wound up buying this solar water heater: Link It's not installed yet so I can't really say how well it works, but if it operates as advertised, we'll only need to use propane to supplement heating the water on very cloudy days.

BajaGringo - 5-25-2009 at 09:11 AM

I have found that one of the keys to a tankless system is pressure. You need to have enough of it as well as not a lot of fluctuation in the pressure. A friend of mine has a tankless system in San Quintin that was supplied from a pressure tank fed from his pila. The pressure fluctuations from his pressurized tank would kick off the tankless flames for some reason. We installed a 2500 liter water tank on top of his house and with a constant pressure on the supply side his problem was solved.

bajaguy - 5-25-2009 at 12:55 PM

Also needs a 3/4" gas (LP/Natural) supply line to the water heater to ensure the burner is operating at optimum performance

BajaGringo - 5-25-2009 at 02:01 PM

Yes, that is a good point as well. These units tend to gobble up gas on higher flow demands and as your LP is relatively low pressure in the line you need more flow volume on the supply side.

Saving Gas

MrBillM - 5-25-2009 at 02:39 PM

Awhile back, I thought my Mexican 10 Gallon LP water heater had reached its end-run when the pilot would go out after heating the water. Since it still worked otherwise and kept the water hot enough all day, I kept relighting it each evening while I thought about taking the burner apart or just replacing it. After awhile, I just got used to it and found I saved a LOT of Propane.

For better or worse, the problem cleared itself and it now stays lit again.

Don't know if I'm Better or Worse off.

Cypress - 5-25-2009 at 03:05 PM

Hot water isn't that hard to come by down in Baja.:biggrin: